PDA

View Full Version : Shipping suggestions for 4518?

Doc Mark
09-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Greetings, Friends,

Still trying to get hold of that 4518 cabinet I scored not long ago. My trucker friend may, or may not, be able to help me. He asked his son to do it, but the son is not up for it, unfortunately. So, there the box sits, in Oregon, whilst I'm in So. Cal.. I called the UPS Store nearest where the seller lives, and they want around $300 to ship that box down here!! :blink::blink: The reason I bought it, in the first place, was because the price was very reasonable, and I figured it would be better to do that rather than build a box, myself. Time is precious, and getting more so. Now, I'm left with a stranded box up in Oregon. Do any of you have suggestions for shipping such a beast, reliably, safely, and for a price that doesn't make the entire deal a waste of both time AND money? Thanks, very much, for any ideas, suggestions, experiences, or comments you'd care to offer! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

mech986
09-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Doc,

Where in oregon is it and what are the dimensions of the box and weight? On AudioKarma, we have a system called the AK Pony Express which uses members who may be able to help move stuff from place to place. Another option is to use Greyhound bus system to move it.

Also, conisder Ubid.com, where truckers and other moving systems can bid on moving small partial cargoes while they are moving their larger but not full loads from one place to another (LTL).
See this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Less-Than-Truckload_(LTL)_Shipping

Regards,

Bart

Doc Mark
09-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Hello, Bart!!

I have been wondering what become of you, as you've been more than a little scarce around here, of late! Glad to see that you're back, and thanks, very much, for your suggestions! I will be checking them out, and see how it all develops. Hope all is well with you and the family. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

doodlebug
09-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Hi Doc,

You might want to hit up AudioKarma.org's Pony Express (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=116)and see if you can make a connection that way.

I have used contract haulers in the past to move individual pieces of furniture. To find out who is doing this, contact some of the antique dealers who market on eBay. These guys specialize in moving furniture that needs to be handled with care and they will deliver directly to your door, too.

Just some ideas.....

Cheers,

David

Doc Mark
09-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Hey, David,

It's good to hear from you, Sir! How are things going out your way? Still listening to that big 2-way system you had? Bet it's outstanding!

Thanks to you, and also to Bart, for suggesting the Pony Express thing at AK! I just registered, and am waiting for the green light, so that I can post, and do a little fishing over there! Again, much appreciated! In registering, you are asked if someone who is an AK member recommended it to you, and I was trying to list both you, and Bart. But, when I typed in Bart's info, I was not allowed to add anything else to it, unfortunately! Bummer! But, your suggestion is much appreciated, nevertheless! Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Doc Mark
09-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Greetings, All,

The shipping saga continues....

May I ask, does anyone know the actual retail price of a 4518 enclosure? I am talking about an empty enclosure. How about the price for an empty 4645C?

Thanks for any info you can share. I don't want to reach the point of diminishing returns on the 4518 cabinet, and it would be good to have some boundary definitions, regarding the price of such a thing, retail. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc