PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here - Altec 515G - Which enclosures?

jimmyjohn
09-12-2008, 07:43 AM
I'm new to the Lansing forums, and somewhat new to DIY high-efficiency speakers.

No one has responded to an earlier thread I started, so I thought I would re-word my questions.

I've just acquired a pair (actually 3) of Altec 515G-HP woofers in good condition. I've read the rave reviews on these drivers, and would like to try them out.

What are the recommended enclosures for these drivers? What are the pros and cons of each?

I guess I would need compression drivers and horns as well. What are the options here?

Also, I'm a little confused by terminology and naming of the "voice of the theater" cabinets and components. I've seen them refered to as "Voice of The Theater" , A5 and A7. It seems they've used different components at times.

And lastly, can someone give me some idea as to the value of my 515 woofers? I've done numerous searches, and posted this question in several forums, but have received no responses.

Thanks

Jim D.

stephane RAME
09-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Large "Voice of the Theater" Driver Chart

http://www.wmeckle.com/INTRO/LARGE/Altec.htm

Small "Voice of the Theater" Driver Chart

http://www.wmeckle.com/INTRO/SMALL/Altec.htm

hmolwitz
09-16-2008, 12:57 PM
The 515 hp is a very good horn driver, If you can stand something the size of a 210 cabinet it is nice to take full advantage of those beauties, the HP have less excursion, so you need the horn to produce the low end.
You are trying to build a system around a driver, and it is probably better to start with your requirements, and build a system around that. What are your needs, desires and preferences?
They are worth what someone will pay...Somewhere from $150 to $300 each?
Harry

jimmyjohn
09-17-2008, 07:42 AM
What are the physical dimensions of the 210 cabinet?

Will the 515G perform better in the 210 than in the A5/A7?

What are the differences between the A5 and A7?

You were asking about my needs, desires, and preferences. I currently have a pair of Pi speakers (Theater 4's) with Eminence 15" woofers in a bass reflex box with Eminenece compression driver/horns. The cabinets are 36"h x 24"w x 18"d, and are pushing the limits of what will fit comfortably in my living room. I have leeway in regards to the height of the speakers, but cabinet depth is the limiting factor, since there is furniture close to the speakers.

My desire is for something that performs better than this, and I would love to experience horn-loaded bass.

I picked up my 515G woofers cheap from Craigslist, and am trying to decide whether to build a system around them, or sell them for a nice profit.

JD

robertbartsch
09-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Horn cabinents for woofers are great but [they] take up lots of space.

Unless your house is a movie theater, try something smaller like a 10 sq foot bass reflex cabiniet.

grumpy
09-17-2008, 08:47 AM
I have leeway in regards to the height of the speakers, but cabinet depth is the limiting factor

JJ, you might PM member "Steve Schell" regarding a tall/wide, but not so deep 515
based horn design, if you really want to give this a go.