PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing the H93/2445J.

Doc Mark
09-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Hi, Friends,

Once again, I posted too many diverse questions in a single thread. Oops!! :o: So, here's another question for you, please?

Regarding the H93/2311 short horns, I note that some folks do not care for them, and have commented on them being somewhat harsh and overpowering. I also seem to remember that comments were made about tweaking the crossover to compensate for anomalies in the horn/driver's response. Can someone point me in the proper direction to a schematic for making a custom crossover for that horn, used with a 2445J driver, please? I note that JBL sure used that horn a lot, in systems like their wonderful 4350, and home systems like the S22-1, and the S8-2, plus many others, I'm sure. If this horn has problems, why did JBL use it so very much, with the ever popular 375 driver? I'd appreciate any information you can share with me, and also any comments regarding using this horn/driver combination. Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Ian Mackenzie
09-10-2008, 07:36 PM
I note that JBL sure used that horn a lot, in systems like their wonderful 4350, and home systems like the S22-1, and the S8-2, plus many others, I'm sure. If this horn has problems, why did JBL use it so very much, with the ever popular 375 driver? I'd appreciate any information you can share with me, and also any comments regarding using this horn/driver combination. Thanks, and God Bless!

I think you answered your own question.

Dont believe half what you read on these forums.

A lot of the time the environmental conditions and the mental sanity of the users is completely unknown.

For example dont expect the world from such old vintage gear , especially if you are using it as a garage system . A lot of people prefer the JBL Smith horns which have a more diffuse presentation. Its horses for courses and largely depends on how well you can adjust the driver balance to suit taste and room acoustics and how much baffle real estate you can spare. Try and steer clear of the budget digital crossovers that promise the world. There are people on the internet making their 1st 100K with how to modify these cheap and "nasty crossovers"

Listen and decided for yourself.

These horns are what they are. Same applies to the older JBL vintage drivers.

If you are using a stock factory system or a clone just wire the crossover as per schematic. Go to the jblpro web page and follow the customer servive links to system schmatics as a starting point.

If you are doing your own diy system you will need CLIO or similar measurement system and a crossover software program.

If you dont have that facility copy or clone a factory system (its a lot less annoying, frustrating and time consuming to make something that actually works than trying and mess with diy speaker building. I mean some people are still trying to make diy projects sound good five years down the track, some never get it right...ever!).

Incidentally, 9/10 times you design with complexity and tweak a system for a dead flat response it wont sound as good as a simplified schematic.

About smoothing the response, there types of horn/lense should be reasonable flat on axis by design.

Messing with the response wont help . Baffling the horn properly and careful adjustment of all drivers levels for a matching balance is more important.

Make sure the driver dias is in good condition

Doc Mark
09-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Good Evening, Ian,

Many thanks for your comments, Sir! My plan, right now, is to copy the schematic for that setup, as you suggest, and somewhere down the road, I may electronically cross them over. This is going to be a part of my 4333 project, which has several branches of experimentation, all of them fun and educational!

Tomorrow, I'll be meeting another LH member, to buy a nice pair of H93's from him. One more piece of my 4333 project will then have fallen into place, which is very nice, indeed! Plus, it will be great to meet another LH member! So far, all the members with whom I've had contact have been very nice, and super helpful and sharing. I'm sure that tomorrow's meeting will go just as smoothly, and I'll have made another JBL friend!

Thanks, Ian, for your thoughts and suggestions! I really appreciate it, and will definitely go the way you suggest, as it's a great place to begin using this setup. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Ian Mackenzie
09-11-2008, 02:35 AM
Knock of the Sir crap.

I agree meeting actual members (and their lovely wives) is the best bit :)

Doc Mark
09-11-2008, 06:56 AM
Knock of the Sir crap.

I agree meeting actual members (and their lovely wives) is the best bit :)

Morning, Ian,

Sorry! :o: Having been born, and brought up in Texas, we were taught that anyone who is kind and sharing is to be called "Sir", no matter if they are old Geezers, or 10 years old! My old Grandma would spin in her grave if I stopped doing that, now! I'll try to "hold it down" for you, though, if you want me to! ;):) Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Doc Mark
09-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Greetings, Friends,

Well, I guess that I'll soon know how I like the H93's coupled to 2445J's, and used with the 2308 lenses! Today, I met up with LH member SuperBee, and he sold me a very nice pair of JBL H93's, for a more than fair price. Once again, an LH forum member offers up something to a fellow member, for less than he probably could have gotten otherwise. And, I, for one, am very pleased with the generosity of those LH member from whom I've bought things, or from whom I was outright gifted things, of great use to me!! Good to meet you SuperBee, and thanks for the super nice horns! :applaud::D

I also met a Gentleman from whom I picked up some 4408 goodies that I'd won on FleaBay the night before. Got a very nice pair of 116H-3 woofers, which look new; a pair of crossovers; the vents; a pair of 4408 foilcals; the connector terminals; and several mounting gaskets, all for a very fair price. Back when I was seeking one good 116H woofer, some JBL Friends on this forum suggested that I wait and see what presented itself on the 'Bay, rather than recone my one bad one, or settle for something less than good. Their sage advice was spot on the money, and I thank them, very much, for that suggestion! The seller was a very fine Gentleman, and his offerings were in outstanding nick, barring one terminal connector which was stripped. So, with that buy, I can get my 4408's back up and running, and this time with regular JBL components, instead of the aftermarket cones that a certain So. Cal. speaker reconing place gave me, back when I had the 116H's reconed. I very much doubt that I will ever give them any more business, as I'm not happy with the results of their work. I'll go to LH member Ken, at Upland Loudspeaker, next time I need something reconed. At least I know it will be done properly and to JBL specs.

In any case, it was a very nice day, and now, I'm back up on the mountain, enjoying a frosty Newcastle Brown Ale, and talking to you Folks!! How much better does it get, eh??!! ;):D

Once I have a chance to play with the H93/2445J/23087 combination, in 2, 3, and 4-way combinations, I'll post my thoughts on that experiment. I'm very glad I waited for the "real deal", and got JBL components. I had checked out some knock-off's, which looked very nice, indeed. But, looking at the JBL foilcals on the horns I got today, made it well worthwhile to have them!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

SUPERBEE
09-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Doc

Good to meet you as well. I hope the project works out. Keep me posted.

SB

John
09-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Hi Doc, when dealing with those horns think of them more as throat extensions rather then horns. :hmm: