PDA

View Full Version : L19's

Doc Mark
08-15-2008, 08:44 AM
Greetings, Friends,

Well, last night, I decided to bid on a pair of JBL L19's, which seemed like they were in good shape, and ended up winning them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140257529486&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=004

Some of you may remember that one of my 4408's has an 8" woofer that's going South on me. Reconing those 116H's is expensive, and some here recommended that I just fine another set of similar cabinets, and buy them, if the price was right. I got the L19's for $66.50, which I thought was a good deal. If nothing else, I can have another pair of 8" woofers with which to play. I'm considering picking them up next week, to save on the shipping. Otherwise, it will cost me about that same amount to have them shipped up here to the house. Still, even with shipping, that's not a bad deal, me thinks. Talk to you later, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

grumpy
08-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Once you get them, give them a listen for about an hour before you make
any judgements. Nice deal, even considering the surrounds, but especially if
you're heading down to San Diego for p/u :D

Doc Mark
08-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Once you get them, give them a listen for about an hour before you make
any judgements. Nice deal, even considering the surrounds, but especially if
you're heading down to San Diego for p/u :D

Evening, Grumpy,

Well, doggonit, if you aren't right about those surrounds! I guess I wasn't giving the photos enough detailed scrutiny, though the woofers did look a bit odd to me. Going back, it appears that they might have been completely reconed, and it's possible that the kit was not made up of JBL parts. Guess I won't know until I get them in my hands. Hope I'm not going from the frying pan, into the fire!! :blink: Thanks for bringing that to my attention, and that fact has solidified my resolve to pick them up when down the mountain running errands, instead of paying the $65 shipping charge. Thanks for your keen eye, Sir! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

mech986
08-16-2008, 04:00 AM
These L19's appear to be the L19A models, see the A after the serial number. If so, the woofers should be the 116H models which have a somewhat better magnetic circuit than the alnico.

The surround is front mounted instead of back but that should be easy to replace.

Bart

Doc Mark
08-16-2008, 07:37 AM
These L19's appear to be the L19A models, see the A after the serial number. If so, the woofers should be the 116H models which have a somewhat better magnetic circuit than the alnico.

The surround is front mounted instead of back but that should be easy to replace.

Bart

Morning, Bart,

Thank for that extra bit of info! I'd missed that, too! :o: Guess I need to sharpen my detail noticin', eh?! ;) I might try to replace those surrounds, depending on how the system sounds after I've had a chance to listen to it for a bit. I see suuround kits offered on FleaBay quite often, but wonder if it might not be best to use JBL kit, instead of aftermarket. What do you think? I did check out a tutorial, here on LH, that was simply outstanding in it's depth of information and photos! That convinced me that I might be able to do such work, even though I don't have a "workbench" at the moment. Thanks, again, for the extra info, and encouragement. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc