PDA

View Full Version : What a wonderful weekend!!

Doc Mark
06-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Greetings, Gentlemen, and Ladies!

What a wonderful weekend Sweet Bride and I have just enjoyed!! We went down to San Diego, to visit Sweet Bride's Mom, and had a fine time down there. But, beforehand, we stopped at Todd's house, where we got to meet his lovely Bride, and chat for a bit. I went there to pick up some E110's I was purchasing from Todd, and he is a fine fellow, and a real Gentleman! On advice from members of this site, I decided to use the E110's, probably reconed as 2122H's (or, whatever that number was....:blink:), as my midbass driver in the "Dream Speakers" I want to build. Once I got the E110's in my hands, I KNEW that they would be better for that task than the LE10A's that I have on hand! Thanks, very much, for the advice, Friends! And, many thanks to Todd and his wife, for their hospitality, and for taking the time to show us their wonderful system!! All we can say is, "WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I guess my stuff is really "hi-mid-fi" stuff, in comparison, and it surely was fantastic to see and hear such a wonderful system as they enjoy!! It's very obvious that lots of love, time, and thought went into the creation of that fine system, and I got lots of good ideas from talking to Todd, and listening to his system!! Todd, many, many thanks, for welcoming us into your home, and to you and Linda for your hospitality and kindness!!

I also ended up making a commitment on some other JBL goodies that Todd had for sale, and now the juices are churning even MORE than they already were!!!! With Todd's offerings, and also with some things that Grumpy is very kindly offering, my system will take shape and breathe it's first breath sooner than I'd hoped, which is simply outstanding!!! Thanks to both Todd and Grumpy, for helping to make it happen!! I promise photos as things fall together, and very much look forward to that happening!!

One other neat thing happened that might be of some interest here. This morning, Sweet Bride, her Mom, Aunt, and I, were at a local SD swap meet, and I found a JBL home theater system (amp and DVD player + a few small speakers) for sale. Asking price was $200, but I know nothing of these systems. So, early though it was, I called Todd for his advice and wise counsel. He warned me away from the system, and after listening to what he had to say, I could easily see that such a system would have no place in my plans, in any way at all! So, I passed on that stuff, and went on my way, after thanking Todd for his time and his kind advice! (Todd, sorry, once again, for calling so early! I got carried away, and didn't think about the time, until it was too late. Many thanks for your kind counsel! Much appreciated!)

Just as we were getting ready to leave, however, I saw some Harman Kardon boxes that looked very familiar to me. Hummmm.... I have quite a bit of HK stuff in my system, and have learned, over the last 25 years, to trust it quite a bit, and to enjoy it's "sound". The boxes ended up containing some of the very same things that I have used for the last 25 years, and it appeared to have been used very little, if at all. Turns out, it was the following:

HK 870 amp
HK 825 pre-amp
HK TU915
HK EQ8

The seller, who seemed like a nice Gent, was asking $300 for the works. I know, having sold this stuff back when I got my own HK equipment, that the amp, alone, cost far more than that! And, my own HK stuff, including an HK 870 amp, rated for 100 watts RMS, capable of almost 4 times that for the transients, without clipping, has been very reliable over all the years I've owned and used it. And, it sounds good to both Sweet Bride and me, too. So, I decided to make him an offer of $250 for the whole system, knowing that all of it might be DOA, but suspecting that it would not be so. After some further discussion, he decided that he'd rather have the $250 than not sell everyting that day, and I ended up the proud owner of yet more HK gear!! I've not yet had time to test it out, but expect to do so in the next day, or so. I'll let you know how it works.

One other buy I made today, that may, or may not, be worthy of note: I found a fellow who had bought a storage unit of DJ stuff that had been confiscated for lack of payment on the storage bill. In the myriad things found within, were a few items of interest to me. First the seller was offering two, raw, woofer cabinets, made of MDF, that were about 6 cubic feet internal size. His price was just $5 apiece, but I ended up telling him that they were just a tad too small for what I had in mind. He told me not to worry, that he would very probably not sell them, and that they would be available next time I get down that way. I wanted one of them for the 18" 2242HPL woofer that I found at another swap meet (for just $30). But, I believe that this woofer really needs to be in an 8 cubic foot enclosure, and that the 6 cubic feet would not really help it too much. In any case, I did not buy the cabinet. One thing I DID buy from this seller, however, was an old "SAE" power amp, model 2200. I think that this amp is rated for between 100 and 200 watts per channel, and remember some of my musician friends, "back in the day", used them for their stereo systems at home and like them, quite a bit. In any case, the asking price was just $20, and I decided to take gamble. I plugged it in when we got back home, and it does power up. But, tomorrow I'll hook up some other goodies to it, and see if it actually does work. For $20, it was not too much of a loss, should it be DOA. Again, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for reading my rambling, and thanks, again, to Todd and Linda, for being so kind and friendly when Sweet Bride and I visited yesterday!! Todd, I hope to stop by again when I visit Grumpy, later this Summer. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

toddalin
06-23-2008, 09:15 AM
Was our pleasure having you over. Let us know when you're coming down from the mountain sometime and we can do dinner and pop in a movie.

Enjoy,

Todd

Doc Mark
06-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Hey, Todd,

Many thanks, Sir! That's a very nice invitation, and we'll certainly take you up on it when all the work dust settles. That will, more than likely, be in the Fall. Thanks, again, for your help, and for excusing my poor manners in calling so early on Sunday. I'm too soon old, and too late smart, sometimes!:blink:

I got to test out the HK stuff today, as well as that SAE amp, and I'm happy to report that the amp, EQ, and tuner work perfectly! The 825 preamp needs some attention, it appears. It powers up, but seems to be stuck in some sort of "standby" mode, where lights blink, and nothing happens. Hummm..... any ideas? I told my wife that, if only the amp worked, I'd be happy. Since most of the other stuff works, too, I'm very happy! I'll have the 825 checked out, someday.

As to the SAE, it definitely needs some help, as I has supposed it would. One channel works well, but the other is "iffy". It "wants" to work, but can't quite get there. The internals on this amp are the most filthy I've ever seen, and it definitely needs a fluff and buff. I'll shelve it, and look into it, someday.

I'm really looking forward to my next chance to come and see you, Todd, and also Grumpy. Picking up items from you both helps me take a major step forward in getting my system together! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc