PDA

View Full Version : HP on the move

saeman
06-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi All:

I meant to make a post a few days ago but time here just evaporates. As some of you know, our beloved Super Moderator HP is here in the U.S. for vacation - making a near east coast to west JBL whirlwind tour.

He arrived here in Chicagoland early this past Saturday and he and Angelica spent 2 1/2 days with my wife and I. The visit was short but we had a great time and I had an opportunity to return a bit of the hospitality that he has extended to me on two previous trips to Germany.

We had visions of staying up late, eating, drinking and listening to JBL's but each day flew bye way too fast and we went down fairly early compared to my visits with him in Bad Homburg. We spent a lot of time on the patio drinking Asbach brandy and talking JBL and forum issues. We spent some time in my shop talking cabinet techniques and his Monday departure was here before we knew it.

They saw just a small bit of Chicago - Navy Pier for several beers, a short visit to the gift shop at the House of Blues and lunch at Hard Rock Cafe. I'll post a couple of pics when I get them shrunk down. Would you believe - HP sat right below a figurine/statue of his favorite rock artist - Mick J. and I recall a Stones tune or two playing while we were there. We had dinner later at a good local German restaurant - not at the request of HP or Angelica (they were hell bent to eat only American food on their trip) but because the place was close and I knew the food would be the best. HP and Geli ate good ole American steaks but both opted for German bier with their dinner.

They were off to Vegas on Monday and are by now likely up into the Napa Valley area drinking some good wine. Maybe he will pop in here with an update when he has a free minute.

Rick

saeman
06-09-2008, 10:06 AM
A couple pics during the Chicago visit.

Haven't heard anything from west coast spotters. HP has already departed the SF area and headed south. He should be visiting the JBL Northridge facility and hopefully he will share the visit with us when he has time.

4313B
06-10-2008, 02:10 AM
He should be visiting the JBL Northridge facility and hopefully he will share the visit with us when he has time.I'm interested in seeing what he has to post...

I very nearly flew out there myself a couple months back to see just what the heck is going on...

Hofmannhp
07-26-2008, 08:35 AM
Hi All,

sorry for the delay....was very busy with paywork and other things (new compact monitor project), but here are some pics from my visit at the JBL Northridge facilities.

the pics show Steve Schell and Greg Timbers, who was so kind to show us the R&D rooms and the anechoic chambers. We got some very good explanations about the work they do there......the results are well known :applaud:.

Very interesting was the easy to handle test gear for the development of the crossovers.....see pic 2

a long demontration of the fantastic DD66000 with extremly high dynamic and as real as posible reproduction....see pic 3

some will follow

HP

Hofmannhp
07-26-2008, 08:43 AM
and here you see a part of the R&D room......

one of the anechoic chambers for speaker measurements, conroled by external computers with special firmware.

a lunch meeting with Steve Schell and Mark Gander..

Here I want again say thanks to Mark Gander and Greg Timbers for their kind invitation and the time they gave us.

HP

4313B
07-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Nice! :applaud:

So how about those Everest II's huh? :)

Hofmannhp
07-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Nice! :applaud:

So how about those Everest II's huh? :)

Hi 4313,

the DD66000 we heard with very different sources.
From Classic over Pink Floyd to Hard Rock.....those speakers can handle all signals with explosive dynamics and very flat response.
It can be compared like a Ferrari (Everest II ) and a Chrysler Sebring (all others). You push the throttle and it shots you forward.
Among other things, GT told us about the development of the crossovers. They made the first calculations and hadn't not to change a lot from the first try. BTW, the sales of the Everest is x 3 the expected pieces.

Also we saw some new constructions which GT asked us not to make pictures.....:D. We need to wait till next year.....

so far

HP

4313B
07-27-2008, 11:09 AM
BTW, the sales of the Everest is x 3 the expected pieces.Yeah, we kind of have to wait for awhile to get more components. ;)

Rolf
07-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Doohh:(