PDA

View Full Version : DBX Driverack

audiorep2
04-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Have any of you folks tried a DBX Drive Rack on your systems ?

boputnam
04-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Not in anything I own, but do run into them frequently in clubs we work. They are pretty good - great value.

johnaec
04-04-2008, 10:12 AM
I've got the Driverack DR260 and use it all the time for all kinds of different situations. It's a definite step up from the DRPA version, and well worth it. The DR260 has much more functionality than the DRPA, and can also be run from a computer interface, which the DRPA can't.

I've used it from consumer -10dB levels to pro +4dB connections, with never a single problem.

For the money, I think they're great.

John

stephane RAME
04-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Small price, big sounds

:applaud:

Stéphane

Oldmics
04-04-2008, 11:06 PM
I think the converter interpetation leaves a lot to be desired when compared to some of the other units availiable.:barf:

Oldmics

johnaec
04-05-2008, 07:30 AM
I think the converter interpetation leaves a lot to be desired when compared to some of the other units availiable.Yeah, but not all of us are able to travel in the same circles you do... :o: I'd love to have better equipment, but IMHO, the DBX stuff is better than nothing, especially faced with the budget I get to deal with. I guarantee the systems I've used it in sound better than without it! Could I say the same about Behringer? I guess it depends on whether the anomolies you're trying to correct are worse than any introduced by the DSP. In may cases, I would guess "yes"...

John

boputnam
04-05-2008, 10:39 AM
...the anomolies you're trying to correct are worse than any introduced by the DSP. In some cases, maybe.

Oldmics' point is, that as powerful as this technology is, lower costs translates to audible degredation - you can hear and measure it. Upgrade when and if you can - you will be living in tall cotton... :)

Oldmics
04-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Tall Cotton :applaud::applaud::applaud:

Now thats a funny saying.

johnaec,I hope that I"m not coming off as a snob,please!!!-I want to be far from that attitude.

I am just offering my audio opinions based on my experiences with a large amount of equipment in all price ranges.

If someone is going to go for a DSP in a budget situation,I would reccomend the BSS.

I also just heard the DynaCord and really liked the sound of it but don"t know the price on them.

And ALL of my listening with these devices is on large scale sound systems.They would obviously react differently to a "hi fi" use.

Oldmics

Andyoz
04-05-2008, 12:41 PM
XTA's are worth a look but the actual badged XTA units cost a lot.

The trick is to look out for "rebadged" XTA units that are sold under pro speaker brands such as Turbosound, Martin Audio, Funktion One, etc (they are the UK brands though). As I understand it, they only differ from the genuine XTA's in looks and they have the manufacturer's own speaker pre-sets.

I got that hint off a fellow member so can't take the credit!!!

Oldmics
04-05-2008, 01:01 PM
The rebadged units ONLY have presets for the particular manufactures speakers systems with NO acessability to other control features.

A "one trick" pony!

Oldmics

Andyoz
04-05-2008, 01:06 PM
The rebadged units ONLY have presets for the particular manufactures speakers systems with NO acessability to other control features.

Are you sure? If so....Sneaky devils...

I know from experience that the Turbosound units have continously variable crossover frequencies in 1/36 octave steps and the same for para EQ, etc.

matsj
04-06-2008, 11:14 AM
I have 3 Dbx driverack pa in my Ht.

mats

johnaec
04-06-2008, 12:43 PM
If someone is going to go for a DSP in a budget situation,I would reccomend the BSS.If I recall, aren't the JBL units rebadged BSS? What do you think of the JBL DSC260/A? Old as it is, it appears to still be a current product.

John

Tim Rinkerman
04-10-2008, 01:30 PM
If you want the best, I don't think you can top the Dolby/Lake processors. The XTA's would be next in line....if you use BSS (Broken Sound Systems, Better Stock Spares..)Soundwebs...be prepared to replace the power supplies in 2 years, they will fail...it's not the fan, it's the power supply. 87 replaced in the last 6 months, installed between 2 and 2 1/2 years ago..the 'London" version has its own problems..the screen goes blue after a couple of years. We had to hire a person just to keep up with the failures. The DBX just sounds wrong...what comes out doesn't sound like what goes in...listen to your favorite disc on your favorite system..then just put the Driverack inline anywhere, and see if you don't agree. Or, maybe having your system sound like it is going through a crappy compressor is what you're looking for....Tim

Oldmics
04-10-2008, 05:40 PM
B-Bring
S-Sumore
S-Stuff

Oldmics :applaud:

johnaec

I was not aware of a 260/A.
The original 260s,well lets just say I never bought any!

I do have a bunch of original 280s still.All of the lenses on the display have fallen by the wayside.Truck rash I think

Andyoz
04-11-2008, 06:21 AM
if you use BSS (Broken Sound Systems, Better Stock Spares..)Soundwebs...be prepared to replace the power supplies in 2 years, they will fail...it's not the fan, it's the power supply.

True, I was just in with a repairer and saw several BBS units on the repair racks. They either had broken power supplys or dud screens. :o:

cooky1257
04-11-2008, 01:11 PM

A "one trick" pony!

Oldmics

Hi Oldmics, That's incorrect.
You have full access to all the units normal functionality.
The only difference from the stock XTA units are the first (in my Tannoy TDX2/XTA 226 case)16 memory slots are pre programmed leaving 24 free and the rebadged units lack the convenience of a pc card memory slot-you'd have to use a rs cable. These units have a thoroughly well deserved reputation for excellent sound quality IMO.
Cooky

cooky1257
04-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Here's mine currently running 3 way on tri amped Westlake clones.See also the pic of the 226 in its latest incarnation(a couple of extra mute switches have been added to the input gain section)http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/attach/jpg.gifhttp://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=32072&stc=1&d=1207958772

1audiohack
04-11-2008, 09:04 PM
I have a DriveRack PA in my system, bought for the crossover flexibility and do not like the sound quality.

I have the replacement options down to a DBX 4800, or a BSS Soundweb London Blu-160, leaning toward the BSS. I didn't know they had problems with them.

Well I thought I had made up my mind. Does it ever end?!?

JBL 4645
04-14-2008, 12:06 PM
I have 3 Dbx driverack pa in my Ht.

mats

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=31969&stc=1&d=1207505629

Very impressive it would seem that loudspeaker management crossover systems are making quite an impression in the home as well as in the cinema.

Small price and big sounds, is very true.:)

Andyoz
04-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Hi Oldmics, That's incorrect.
You have full access to all the units normal functionality.
The only difference from the stock XTA units are the first (in my Tannoy TDX2/XTA 226 case)16 memory slots are pre programmed leaving 24 free and the rebadged units lack the convenience of a pc card memory slot-you'd have to use a rs cable. These units have a thoroughly well deserved reputation for excellent sound quality IMO.
Cooky

Cooky...you missed out the best part. How much did you pay for your rebadged XTA...

Also, how do you find the fan noise level from the MC2's. They really do look like cracking units. I'm tempted to get rid of my Bryston 4B SST and buy a 4 channel MC2 to bi-amp the 250Ti's...have you ever had similar thought's?

cooky1257
04-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Cooky...you missed out the best part. How much did you pay for your rebadged XTA...

Also, how do you find the fan noise level from the MC2's. They really do look like cracking units. I'm tempted to get rid of my Bryston 4B SST and buy a 4 channel MC2 to bi-amp the 250Ti's...have you ever had similar thought's?
Andy,
Ahem;I got mine for £261:applaud:
On the subject of MC2 fan noise it does intrude when it cycles in the quiet of early hours but I don't usually notice at average level listening.
Mind you, cable is cheap so they could be moved to a cupboard/room if need be. I had considered one of their 4 channel jobs too but I'm already loaded up with separates.
GDS have a load of MC2's for sale at the mo';I'm after an MC650. They do sound as good as the Brystons if a tad darker but IMO have better bass.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=360041119588&Category=68247&_trksid=p3907.m29

Mike Caldwell
04-15-2008, 05:40 AM
With the DBX Drive Rack be careful of your power up and power down sequence. The Drive Rack puts out a nasty crack, more so on powering off. If DSP's and DBX are your thing the 260 model is far better for not that much more money.

Mike Caldwell

JBL 4645
04-15-2008, 06:52 AM
With the DBX Drive Rack be careful of your power up and power down sequence. The Drive Rack puts out a nasty crack, more so on powering off. If DSP's and DBX are your thing the 260 model is far better for not that much more money.

Mike Caldwell

This is your captain speaking on the issues of. Powering up and powering down, of your dbx crossover, check list procedure. :D

First power up dbx crossover!
Secondly power up amplifier

Turning off dbx and amplifier

Firstly turn the off power amplifier
Lastly turn off the dbx crossover

hjames
04-15-2008, 06:56 AM
Bingo! Power up from low level to high -

Receiver - crossover- HF amp - LF amp

Power down in reverse!
LF Amp - HF Amp - crossover - receiver.

Good to see ya 'round, Ashley!

Power up and powering down procedure check list

JBL 4645
04-15-2008, 07:01 AM
Bingo! Power up from low level to high -

Receiver - crossover- HF amp - LF amp

Power down in reverse!
LF Amp - HF Amp - crossover - receiver.

Good to see ya 'round, Ashley!

Thanks Heather.:)

Or you can instruct the dbx to be in mute mode when powering up, I’d hath to refer to the owners manual to see if this procedure, works when powering down, but if it doesn’t, then just mute the inputs manually.

But it’s simple to follow the above that’s what I do every time when powering up the DCX2496 and amplifiers.

The [spike sound or thumping noise] doesn’t this have something to do with the [capacitor]?

Mike Caldwell
04-15-2008, 07:16 AM
There are no muting options on the Drive Rack. Any system with external components should be power up and down in that order. Everything from my small home system to my large production system, same way just more components involved.

Mike Caldwell

JBL 4645
04-15-2008, 07:23 AM
There are no muting options on the Drive Rack. Any system with external components should be power up and down in that order. Everything from my small home system to my large production system, same way just more components involved.

Mike Caldwell

Well that settles it then.

Wow there’s some cool prices on the dbx driverack PA under Google product search UK
http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=dbx+driverack+pa&btnG=Search+Products&hl=en (http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=dbx+driverack+pa&btnG=Search+Products&hl=en)

It’s almost reachable a few mare £300.00 pounds.:)

I just twigged on! This is two channel input with six possible outputs, as I’ve counted along the facial front of the dvx driverack PA.

Mike Caldwell
04-15-2008, 07:50 AM
If you want one button power convenience there are power sequencers available. the power switches on the components are left on and each component is plugged into a switched outlet on the sequencer unit. Furman has a few to chose from.

Mike Caldwell

Oldmics
04-16-2008, 07:06 PM
Cooky 1257 is correct.

My earliest experiences with XTA was on Turbo and then with E.A.W processers.

These early units were rebadged XTA "one trick ponys".

At the L"Acoustics factory during V Dosc training I again ran across another batch of rebadged XTA which I just found out (spoke to the factory rep tile) were prototype "one trick ponys" for a bunch of their products.

I made the assumption that all of XTAs rebadged stuff was "one trick".

The rep didnt even know about the Tannoy XTA gear.

Guess you cant know all of the stuff out there.

I do thank Cooky 1257 for enlightning me.:bouncy:

Oldmics

cooky1257
04-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Cooky 1257 is correct.

My earliest experiences with XTA was on Turbo and then with E.A.W processers.

These early units were rebadged XTA "one trick ponys".

At the L"Acoustics factory during V Dosc training I again ran across another batch of rebadged XTA which I just found out (spoke to the factory rep tile) were prototype "one trick ponys" for a bunch of their products.

I made the assumption that all of XTAs rebadged stuff was "one trick".

The rep didnt even know about the Tannoy XTA gear.

Guess you cant know all of the stuff out there.

I do thank Cooky 1257 for enlightning me.:bouncy:

Oldmics

T'is a pleasure:D
Cooky

JBL 4645
04-17-2008, 09:39 AM
If you want one button power convenience there are power sequencers available. the power switches on the components are left on and each component is plugged into a switched outlet on the sequencer unit. Furman has a few to chose from.

Mike Caldwell

Power on, and power off, sequencer? Is this a device that can be patched into any electrical device to power on in programmed sequence that is if a user has many electrical devices in the sound system chain?

If so how mach?

Thanks.:)

Mike Caldwell
04-17-2008, 10:02 AM
The Furman units and others like them have a series of outlets that are controlled to turn on in a 1, 2, 3 sequence and turn off in the reverse sequence 3, 2, 1. You can also get various external modules for more outlets and ac circuits. Depending on model there around $300 to $400 here in the US. I have used many of them for installed sound systems.

Here is the link to the Furman website and the power sequencer section http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=PS-8R_II

Mike Caldwell

JBL 4645
04-17-2008, 11:44 AM
I like the look of it.

http://www.furmansound.com/new/images/PS-8R_II-front_page.jpg (http://www.furmansound.com/new/images/PS-8R_II-front_page.jpg)
http://www.furmansound.com/new/images/PS-8R_II-rear_page.jpg
Furman PS-8R II POWER CONDITIONER/SEQUENCER isn’t coming under Google UK product search, I guess this is US model.

Mike Caldwell
04-17-2008, 11:54 AM
They may not have a UK version for 220/240 power. I'll do a little
checking into it.

Mike Caldwell

JBL 4645
04-17-2008, 12:15 PM
They may not have a UK version for 220/240 power. I'll do a little
checking into it.

Mike Caldwell

Cheers, Mike, because I’m sure there must be an international model available.

Mike Caldwell
04-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Here is the Furman link to the 220/240 volt products.
http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=03&id=PL-PLUSE_II

Mike Caldwell

Skywave-Rider
04-18-2008, 08:23 AM
I've been using the Furman sequencer in a recording studio application for a few years and it's been reliable. Using 3 stage powerup/down wired to a key switch. (Literally, a key is inserted and turned like an ignition switch to actuate turn on and off sequences. Eliminated the nasty pops.

Use that in conjuction with:
http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=IT-20_II

Plus one of their ups units for the computer.

I think their stuff is good.:)