PDA

View Full Version : Any Experience with Audyssey EQ system??

Robh3606
03-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Just wondering if any of you have tried it or have equipment that has the Audyssey System installed.

Rob:)

timc
03-26-2008, 07:21 AM
I have tried several Surround recievers with Audyssey.

It works so and so. For cinema use its ok, but for 2channel i feel i can do it just as good myself. Except maybe for the MultiEQ XT version.

A lyngdorf RP-1 or Copland DRC-205 is way, way better.

-Tim

Robh3606
03-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Hello Tim

I just had my old trusty Sony ES receiver loose a channel so I had to replace it. I ended up going with a new Pre/Processor unit an Integra 9.8 that has the Audyssey MultiEQ XT as part of the package.

The set-up was a cinch and the results with movies is impressive. You end up with a really cohessive 360 degree soundstage. Any rear soundfield issues I had just dissapered.

The only issue I have with it was with Onkyo's implimentaion. You can't adjust between the "Audyssey Curve" and Flat. The Audyssey curve has some roll off above 10K to -6db @ 20K and a slight notch at 2K. It sounds great for movies but with concert/music DVD disks you can hear the roll off. Cymbals get a little laid back and you loose some sense openess??

Geez is that a word??:blink: I just run digital in and use Direct Mode so I get the bass management with no additional DSP. Sounds good both ways. I get some added bass bloom without the Audyssey but that's fine for live concert DVD's.

I think overall it's a winner especially for an HT set-up. I am just loving the Integra though. The Audyssey was not the deciding factor so it was an added bonus. I have been spending quite a bit of time just tweeking things which is always fun to do.

Rob:)

Mr. Widget
03-27-2008, 12:27 AM
The only issue I have with it was with Onkyo's implimentaion. You can't adjust between the "Audyssey Curve" and Flat. The Audyssey curve has some roll off above 10K to -6db @ 20K and a slight notch at 2K. It sounds great for movies but with concert/music DVD disks you can hear the roll off. Cymbals get a little laid back and you loose some sense openess??I agree completely. It works really well with film, but for music I also want a truer response. The full Audyssey implementation does allow greater control. Maybe you can get your dealer to set you up with the full package. In the meantime, I think your work around is a good approach.

The reason that your surround coherence is improved is that much of what Audyssey is doing is correcting for phase and time issues in addition to it's equalization.

Widget

timc
03-27-2008, 02:27 AM
So we all agree then :) Weird.......

Thumbs up on movies, but down for music.

Btw: Why do they introduce that rolloff?

-Tim

Mr. Widget
03-27-2008, 07:53 AM
Btw: Why do they introduce that rolloff?When I first saw Audyssey at CEDIA a couple of years ago it was being demonstrated to small groups by it's designer Tomlinson Holman. They played some movie soundtracks and we were all quite impressed and then they played a music video or some concert footage (can't remember) and I was immediately struck by the lack of midrange presence (an area that I am particularly sensitive to). I asked Mr. Holman about it and while he was quite polite, his answer distilled down to, we are the experts here and this is the best curve. When pressed he showed me how it could be defeated, but only in "expert mode" which can only be done by a "trained" dealer.

Widget

timc
03-27-2008, 08:21 AM
Tomlinson Holman

The THX dude?`

-Tim

Mr. Widget
03-27-2008, 05:29 PM
The THX dude?`THX dude, Audyssey dude, and film sound professor at USC.

Widget

edgewound
03-28-2008, 03:34 PM
I asked Mr. Holman about it and while he was quite polite, his answer distilled down to, we are the experts here and this is the best curve. When pressed he showed me how it could be defeated, but only in "expert mode" which can only be done by a "trained" dealer.

Widget

Mr. Holman doesn't care to be "questioned". I've had a similar experience when asking him questions.

But....what the hell do we know?

He's got a nice cash cow that I haven't got.