PDA

View Full Version : XLR Cable Buyer's Guide?

dlwearl
02-27-2008, 12:59 AM
Hi guys,

I'm almost ready to hook everything up in my system, but I'm having one heck of a time trying to decipher what characteristics of xlr cables are meaningful. I've only really been able to come to a consensus on cable shielding, the more the better.

Does gauge matter for interconnects? Are they made of different materials and, if so, does it make a significant difference?

I've also read that some cables are intentionally slightly capacitive in order to prevent high frequency roll-off?

Thanks for all the assistance. :)
David

boputnam
02-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Does gauge matter for interconnects? Are they made of different materials and, if so, does it make a significant difference?I, and many/most here just use common commercial grade mic cables. However, you may need to drop Pin1 on the interconnects to minimize ground loops - do this at the load end.

I've also read that some cables are intentionally slightly capacitive in order to prevent high frequency roll-off?Beyond my knowledge and experience.

Baron030
02-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by dlwearl:

I've also read that some cables are intentionally slightly capacitive in order to prevent high frequency roll-off?

Hi David,

All cables have some capacitive reactance.
And it is this capacitive reactance that actually causes high frequency roll-off.
So, what you have read has got it all backwards.

Depending on the thickness and the insulating materials used, a cable’s capacitive reactance will vary. The standard measurement for a cable’s capacitive reactance is in pico-farads (pf) per foot or in pico-farads per meter. (Pico = 1/1,000,000,000,000)
So, a lower (pf) value per foot or meter is better.

If you were running a high impedance signal over a very long distance, then differences in a cable’s capacitive reactance would be very significant. But, for short system “interconnect” cables, then a cable’s capacitive reactance is not going to be a significant issue in this case.

And as far as wire gauge is concerned, I can see where a heavier gauge would hold up longer in an abusive “Pro-Sound” application. There are a lot more wire stands to break before a cable fails outright. But, for short system “interconnect” cables, it is not going to matter much.

And you are absolutely right about cable shielding, more the definitely better.

So, my advice would be to choose the cable that has the best shielding and the lowest capacitance per foot which is in your budgeted price range.

And keep these “interconnect” cables as short in length as possible.
Also, watch out for ground loops.

Baron030 :)

edgewound
02-27-2008, 03:01 PM
The better the shield..the better the cable.

The bigger the conductor...in this case, 18-22 AWG depending on the type of wire...the better. If you use a "star-quad" config that has four 21-22 awg conductors paralled in pairs, the net result is 18-19 awg signal carrier conductor. Your cable should ideally be "invisible" to your system, and the more copper the better.

If you want great cheap performance in an unbalanced interconnect, try RG-6 quadshield coax with compression fit RCA connectors. The only caveat with that is it's lack of flexibility.....but you get a solid 18 awg center conductor...and it's dirt cheap.

Hoerninger
02-27-2008, 03:31 PM
coax with compression fit RCA connectors. ..and it's dirt cheap.
Please help, I have a language problem:
"compression fit"?
Does this imply industrial manufactured ? (Quetschverbindung?)
And where it might be available?

edgewound
02-27-2008, 03:36 PM
Please help, I have a language problem:
"compression fit"?
Does this imply industrial manufactured ? (Quetschverbindung?)
And where it might be available?

Peter,

Compression fit RCA connectors are now available much like compession fit weather tight F-connectors.

It eliminates the need for using an F-to-RCA threaded adaptor.

Google "compression RCA connector" and you'll find some info...in the US anyway.

rek50
02-27-2008, 04:38 PM
If you try RG-6 quadshield coax, go with the SOLID copper center conductor. Think: HD Satellite grade....Cheap RG-6 has a copper coated STEEL center conductor.

Baron030
02-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Edgewound’s advice about using RG-6 a quadshield coax video cable is a very sound one.
In looking up the specs the on this stuff, it has only 16.2 pF/Ft.
This is an extremely low value for just about any cable.
It’s rated to have a nominal attenuation loss of only 0.35db/100 ft. @ 1MHz.
Since, the audio spectrum is much lower then 1,000,000 Hz.
Your actual signal losses should be lower. :thmbsup:

edgewound
02-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the affirmation, Baron030

The stuff I have in the shop here is sweep tested to 2.2GHz.

Is that enough bandwidth?

I'm sure someone will have a problem with it, though....;)

....simply because it's not expensive enough....:applaud:

boputnam
02-27-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm sure someone will have a problem with it, though....;)

....simply because it's not expensive enough....:applaud:Na... Only because it's unbalanced...! :)

edgewound
02-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Na... Only because it's unbalanced...! :)

Well that is certainly true...and shame on me for veering OT.

My main point was you needn't spend centibux nor kilobux to get great performance from a cable....especially for a few feet away in a home environment.

Yeah Mogami, Canare, even Conquest star quad gets my vote for value balanced.

just4kinks
02-27-2008, 10:16 PM
If you're skilled with a soldering iron, you can make your own.

I picked up some Mogami quad mic cable for (If I remember correctly) $.69 / foot:
http://www.mogamicable.com/Bulk/micr_cables/quad_micr/quad_micr.htm

And some Neutrik connectors for $2.50 each:
http://www.neutrik.com/fl/en/audio/210_11/NC3FX_detail.aspx

You can make some great cables for pretty cheap. I got everything locally Guitar Center, but you might be able to order online cheaper.

They're not easy to make though... if you don't have the right vice, clamps, and clips, the wires are real tough to hold in place while the solder hardens.

Hoerninger
02-28-2008, 07:46 AM
compession fit weather tight F-connectors.

Edgewound,
the F-connecter made it clear, thank you.:)

The compression RCA connector is an intelligent part which I still did not find here (Reichelt.de and Google) - but a lot of adapters .:(
May be other European readers know a distributor?

rs237
02-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Edgewound,
the F-connecter made it clear, thank you.:)

The compression RCA connector is an intelligent part which I still did not find here (Reichelt.de and Google) - but a lot of adapters .:(
May be other European readers know a distributor?

Hello Peter,

I have never heard of these connectors. But I prefer balanced XLR.

regards
juergen

Hoerninger
02-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Juergen,

the problem is that the consumer gear has Cinch/RCA connectors. These compression RCA connectors make cable building easy (and presumably cheap and worthwile).
But I am not a friend of Cinch, for example I still prefer a good DIN metal plug.
The benefits of balanced XLR I know - once I built a 30 m multicore.

Mike Caldwell
02-28-2008, 02:51 PM
If you make your own be sure to get real Neutrik connectors. There are many cheap knock off copies that almost look like the real thing but do not really fit well in other connectors or sometimes will get stuck. Some cheaper pre made cables will have the bogus Neutrik connectors on them.

Markertek is a good quick source for wire and connectors.

Mike Caldwell

SMKSoundPro
02-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Same goes for 1/4" connectors!

I have some oddballs here on my desk that are just bad!

Barely fit into the female connector. And have also tarnished just sitting here.

Spend a buck on a good quality connector.

I make ALOT of cables, pretty much all of the time.

I NEVER buy a premade cable, unless we are talking about RCA-RCA 3' or 6' stuff.

And HOSA cables. Don't get me started on a couple of those I had. Not bad cables, per se. Just not the same as a good quality Neutrik or Swithcraft, or vintage cannon, amphenol...

dlwearl
02-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys. :barf:
David

westend
03-15-2008, 10:08 PM
If you're skilled with a soldering iron, you can make your own.

I picked up some Mogami quad mic cable for (If I remember correctly) $.69 / foot:
http://www.mogamicable.com/Bulk/micr_cables/quad_micr/quad_micr.htm

And some Neutrik connectors for $2.50 each:
http://www.neutrik.com/fl/en/audio/210_11/NC3FX_detail.aspx

You can make some great cables for pretty cheap. I got everything locally Guitar Center, but you might be able to order online cheaper.

They're not easy to make though... if you don't have the right vice, clamps, and clips, the wires are real tough to hold in place while the solder hardens.Good advice.I do the same. I've made some RCA->XLR connectors for very cheap. I always use Neutrik. A "helping hands", the device with the clips and adjustable shafts, makes soldering anything a more pleasurable experience. Ratshack has them for about $20, IIRC. I used mine with the magnifier to solder the four wires (40 g.?) in a set of headphones. Without the device it would have been impossible.
I have a length of TIFF cable here to experiment with. Has anyone any experience with that?