PDA

View Full Version : Thorens H3lp ??

SEAWOLF97
02-09-2008, 10:26 PM
I bought a beautiful Thorens TD-166 Mk 2 tonight,,,,,,really nice shape, EXCEPT,,, it is missing the anti-skate weight. (see borrowed pix)

Q: where can these be obtained ?? If too much trouble, I assume one could be made......anyone know length of line and weight to attach ???

Don C
02-09-2008, 11:56 PM
It's going to be difficult to find the right weight. I don't know how much it should weigh. I suggest to make one from a little nut and some fishing line. You will need to get a blank record with no grooves. The Shure audio obstacle course is one example. Then you can use that to test to see if your weight is enough, and try different weights. Maybe start with a #4, then if that's not enough try a #6 and so on. When the weight is set so that the arm doesn't drift left or right on the blank record, it's set correctly.

rs237
02-10-2008, 12:43 AM
Included belong 2 weights. 1 small 0.6 grams and a greater 1,4 grams . If big weight in the owner's manual is both weights = 2.0 grams meant.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~rgs/thorens/td_146_166ii/antiskating.html

regards

juergen

porschedpm
02-10-2008, 01:00 AM
Here's an anti-skate weight for a Pro-Ject tt, from the Needle Doctor. You might be able to make it work:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Project-Anti-Skate-Weight?category=433

This site has an abundance of info on Thorens, including the part # you're looking for (Z7874013) :

http://www.theanalogdept.com/thorens_part_nums.htm

And here's a generic anti-skate weight from LP Gear:

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=ANTISKATEWT&Category_Code=PTS

scott fitlin
02-10-2008, 02:04 AM
Contact Thorens, they are still in buissiness. Thats what I would do.

scott fitlin
02-10-2008, 02:07 AM
Hey Seadood, is that an Infinity black Widow Tonearm? GREAT ARM DOOD, GREAT.

Put a Clearaudio Woodbody, or a GRADO reference Platinum Woodbody on that MF, and SHE WILL SING TO YOU!

rs237
02-10-2008, 05:19 AM

Put a Clearaudio Woodbody, or a GRADO reference Platinum Woodbody on that MF, and SHE WILL SING TO YOU!

Hello Scott,

no its a Thorens TP 11 Mk II (or Mk III) Tone Arm.

regards
juergen

richluvsound
02-10-2008, 05:56 AM
seawolf,

thats a beautiful bit of design and engineering. I hope you get working to its full potential. I WANT ONE

Rich

scott fitlin
02-10-2008, 08:58 AM
seawolf,

thats a beautiful bit of design and engineering. I hope you get working to its full potential. I WANT ONE

RichBelieve it or not, we used to DJ on Thorens TD-125,s, AND they were on a platform suspended by RUBBER bands in a special console. Floating they call it, I have a console like this in my place, BUT, MAN, those Thorens and their leaf spring suspensions, on bouncy rubbewr band suspensions, YOU DINT DARE OPEN THE VOLUME POT for that table till the precise moment of mix.

They sound good, though.

SEAWOLF97
02-10-2008, 09:06 AM

no its a Thorens TP 11 Mk II (or Mk III) Tone Arm.

thanx all for the links....I think one page had the weight and length needed.

on a German site (my German is weak), in a table , it looks like the arm is a Rega ?

Modell MotorTeller Gleichlauf/Rumpeln Tonarm /SystemPreis war

Thorens TD 166 16-pol,Synchron 2,7kg Zamak<0,04% >72dB Rega RB 250DM

it has the original box and included a QLM32 mk3 cartridge. The cover and base look very good, runs quiet. After I clean it up, will post some pics. :D

I just have to post the THORENS pic that was found while researching the missing weight ...

rs237
02-10-2008, 10:22 AM
t
on a German site (my German is weak), in a table , it looks like the arm is a Rega ?

No this is wrong.

Here is the best Thorens website (sorry only german)

http://www.thorens-info.de/index.html

And here your tonearm.

http://www.thorens-info.de/html/tonarme.html

regards
juergen

SEAWOLF97
02-10-2008, 12:49 PM
No this is wrong.

Here is the best Thorens website (sorry only german)

http://www.thorens-info.de/index.html

And here your tonearm.

http://www.thorens-info.de/html/tonarme.html

regards
juergen

looks like a TP 11 Mk. II arm, but dont see any similar heads ?

rs237
02-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Hello Seawolf,

The TP11 tonearm has interchangeable tonearm pipes. There is the TP62 and TP63 armtube. Here is a picture of your TP62 tonearm tube, but on a TP16 tonearm.

http://www.thorens-info.de/td145mkii_tp16mkii_detail1.jpg

regards

juergen

SEAWOLF97
02-10-2008, 03:50 PM
I ran a rag over it ...brushed steel plinth and matching base ( would have preferred wood - hmmmm,,,I do have a TD165 wood base, will that work ??)

Krunchy
02-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Nice Unit Seawolf!
Time to clean that vinyl and get the record player spining.
:)

WDJ
02-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Check out:

http://www.vinylengine.com/

All sorts of tt info

SEAWOLF97
02-10-2008, 11:14 PM
turns out the stylus that looked Ok was not. I discovered that QLM is ADC, and I had an extra stylus for it. subbed that in, and OH MY !!!!! I know there are better available ( in fact I have the old V-15 mk3 from the DUAL 701 thats not working) , but it sounds great now.

I was looking to go MORE automatic, and this table is completely MANUAL, but it sure sounds fine.

funny thing: 2 days ago I picked up an item in a thrift for $3. Put that on eBay and sold immediately for same price as I paid for the Thorens ( I talked her down by $140) so after eBay and PP fees, using that eBay money towards the TD-166....it ended up costing $9 out of pocket.

The 4 gram weight could at 3 grams VTA in notch 1 work. juergen

Thanx for your help juergen , that is exactly how I ended up running it, tracks good.

rs237
02-11-2008, 01:07 AM
Hello Seawolf,

The VTA for the QLM32MKIII are 2-4 grams . The 4 gram weight could at 3 grams VTA in notch 1 work. I would anyone with a lathe to ask me whether it the weight to 2 grams off might.

regards
juergen

ps the QLM32MKIII which is not a very good pickup system, the turntable would have a better deserves.

SEAWOLF97
02-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Hello Seawolf,
regards
juergen

ps the QLM32MKIII which is not a very good pickup system, the turntable would have a better deserves.

RS237 - ( isnt that an old German triode tube ??) , you have been very helpfull , I had a feeling most replies on this would be from Germany. :). Its funny, my daughter lives in Whuppertal and teaches English is the University there. MANY of my old records are there too , she nabbed "the good ones" when she came home last to use on her weekly radio show. She says her audience loves my '60's vinyl....especially 13th Floor Elevators and Electric Prunes ...:applaud:

rs237
02-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Hello Seawolf,

Yes correct, the RS237 is an old Telefunken triode.I am glad that I could help too.Greetings your daughter, I am 30 Miles from Wuppertal born.

regards

juergen

ps my beauty's

SEAWOLF97
02-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Hello Seawolf,

Yes correct, the RS237 is an old Telefunken triode...ps my beauty's

Is that tube used any longer or just for collections ?? looks like a work of art :)

what is the speaker in your avatar ?

rs237
02-12-2008, 12:20 AM
Hello Seawolf,

The speakers in my Avatar is my DIY Hartsfield. Here more Pictures

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19890

With the tubes, I will build an amplifier. The work of art was only for thee:D.

regards

juergen

SEAWOLF97
02-12-2008, 08:32 AM
Hello Seawolf,

The speakers in my Avatar is my DIY Hartsfield. Here more Pictures

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19890

With the tubes, I will build an amplifier. The work of art was only for thee:D.

regards

juergen

Beautiful speaker !!!! will there be a pair ? (I build clocks .. http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19400 )

(your picture felt like looking in a mirror ....guy in his 50's , about 6 foot tall , beard and glasses ....like my doppleganger :blink:)

SEAWOLF97
02-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Altho I am logged in, I can't view your Clock Picture!

Oh , you never signed up for "OFF TOPIC" ??

seawolf,

Rich

Rich ...I found this comment on "Stereophile" http://www.stereophile.com/artdudleylistening/406listening/

( actually a pretty interesting Thorens TD 124 blog )

"In the early 1990s, Naim Audio's then-distributor in Germany considered the basic TD 166 design so good that they used it as the platform for a well-regarded turntable they called the Phonosophie P1. "

SEAWOLF97
02-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Actually I did, twice - but when nothing came of it I didn't push it. I just figured maybe my admission might have a "chilling effect" on conversations from some of the dudes that frequent that venue (present party excluded)!
:applaud:

you should "push it" , sure you have a lot to contribute..:)

rs237
02-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Beautiful speaker !!!! will there be a pair ? (I build clocks .. http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19400 )

(your picture felt like looking in a mirror ....guy in his 50's , about 6 foot tall , beard and glasses ....like my doppleganger :blink:)

Hello Seawolf,

yes it is a pair. I am still not signed up for "OFF TOPIC".But I have just asked to registration. Is there a Picture of you ,I am looking forward to the "Doppelgaenger":D

regards
juergen

SEAWOLF97
02-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Hello Seawolf,
. Is there a Picture of you ,I am looking forward to the "Doppelgaenger":D

regards
juergen

no pictures of me...just look at yours and it will be close enough.

I looked today at ALL of the Thorens on eBay and even completed auctions and did not find any with a metal base like mine that matches the plinth. I got money off with the seller as the wood base was more desireable, now I dont know.

(it is metal, not painted wood - vey industrial looking )

Krunchy
02-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Yeah, but how does it sound, how do you like it ?! :)

Motus
02-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Seawolf, Brushed aluminum finish based is the way this model looked like when it was for sale some 30 years ago. I recently upgraded to a Linn LP12, worth every penny I may add, but I had kept my Thorens for over 25 years...

loach71
02-12-2008, 11:29 PM
no pictures of me...just look at yours and it will be close enough.

I looked today at ALL of the Thorens on eBay and even completed auctions and did not find any with a metal base like mine that matches the plinth. I got money off with the seller as the wood base was more desireable, now I dont know.

(it is metal, not painted wood - vey industrial looking )

A Limited Edition metal-clad Thorens complete with a BiB dust bug!
:bouncy: WOW! :bouncy:

Upgrade to the ADC ZLM MkIII (Shibata stylus) and you will be even more pleasantly surprised! Should work wonders with the BGW preamp...

Very good acquisition there Wolf!

SEAWOLF97
02-13-2008, 08:02 AM
Yeah, but how does it sound,

Sounds just like my old Monkey Wards Airline mono portable (with handle and speaker) NOT.

I think that when you reach a certain level of quality, that a more expensive product is just flash & show, without any sonic improvements and no "bang for the buck". The Thorens is at the level where more money spend wud yield no further audio joy and with the substitution of a better cart shud last me a long time.

do you like it ?! :) YES

A Limited Edition metal-clad Thorens complete with a BiB dust bug!
:bouncy: WOW! :bouncy:

Upgrade to the ADC ZLM MkIII (Shibata stylus) and you will be even more pleasantly surprised! Should work wonders with the BGW preamp...

Very good acquisition there Wolf!

I am trying to buy quality gear that wont need to be upgraded or replaced in the foreseeable future . I think this fits the bill. The cart is fine, tho I mite substitute in the V-15t3 that is surplus from my electronically challenged Dual 701. It does work well with the BGW 203.

Krunchy
02-13-2008, 08:52 AM
I think that when you reach a certain level of quality, that a more expensive product is just flash & show, without any sonic improvements and no "bang for the buck". The Thorens is at the level where more money spend wud yield no further audio joy and with the substitution of a better cart shud last me a long time.
Looks like you've got yourself a nice combination there Wolf :applaud:
I like the metalic look but I would imagine you can always address it in the near future if you so desire, could be a nice little DIY, or better yet, just sit back & enJOY the music playing through it. :)

SEAWOLF97
02-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Looks like you've got yourself a nice combination there Wolf :applaud:
I like the metalic look but I would imagine you can always address it in the near future if you so desire, could be a nice little DIY, or better yet, just sit back & enJOY the music playing through it. :)

I've been on a crusade for about 20 years to rid my home of glass and chrome and plastic. Cant practically be done. Everything is oak or mahogany or teak or walnut, so I wud have preferred the teak base , but its hidden in an oak console , the price was right and I may sub in the TD-160 wood base left over from a salvage tt. toooo many projects..

Krunchy
02-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Thats right! I forgot about your noble endeavor. I can see how this could become an issue in this light. The teak base might not be a bad idea then.
The plastic I can see but the glass, thats a tough one, what about just regular drinking glasses, vases, utensils etc. those on the list too. I would think that would require a lot of vigilance, I like your ideals though.

Unfortunately many of todays products are severely lacking in substance and integrity (thats one of the reasons I like JBL's) there's too much fluff, but dont get me started on that road.

Things that are built with integrity enrich our lives.

SEAWOLF97
02-13-2008, 01:52 PM
but the glass, thats a tough one, what about just regular drinking glasses, vases, utensils etc. those on the list too. I would think that would require a lot of vigilance, .

I've been on a crusade for about 20 years to rid my home of glass and chrome and plastic. Cant practically be done. .

And "BLACK ASH" cabinets....I mean really, that black vinyl wood grained crap looks like something salvaged from a house fire.

Krunchy
02-13-2008, 02:04 PM
And "BLACK ASH" cabinets....I mean really, that black vinyl wood grained crap looks like something salvaged from a house fire.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

I worked for a wood veneer supplier for a while and came across many woods that I fell in love with, stuff that I did not know even existed. In short I love most woods, no other material comes close to the beauty and warmth of wood.
As for cutting these products out of your life I can see how that would be close to imposible. Like trying not to watch commercials when viewing the tv, its imposible, they are even on the PBS stations.

hjames
02-13-2008, 02:31 PM

Bravo to you, sir!
I salute your vision and your noble plan to rid your home of the dreck of our "culture"!

SEAWOLF97
02-13-2008, 03:38 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl:

I worked for a wood veneer supplier for a while and came across many woods that I fell in love with, stuff that I did not know even existed. In short I love most woods, no other material comes close to the beauty and warmth of wood. .

SOMETIMES, when I'm in the area, I'll stop in to the exotic wood store and just browse...love those woods. I built all the towel bars, mirror frame and var. accessories in the bathrooms from oak (red oak) ..my desks are solid oak and chair is white oak (from the Hughes Aircraft Co.) , the house is mahogany trimmed and paneled, the whole LR set is teak that is stained to look like Rosewood (with inlaid Mother of Pearl) ...CANT STAND PLASTIC OR "BLACK ASH OR VINYL". I'll buy un-needed items in the store just because of the beautiful wood (Oregon has fantastic Myrtle Wood) ..part of the joy of our trip to Asia was all the great wood handycrafts in the stores. Been selling mahogany helos on da 'bay, and people absolutly love them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280200561059&ru=http://search.ebay.com:80/280200561059_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40QQfviZ1

Bravo to you, sir!
I salute your vision and your noble plan to rid your home of the dreck of our "culture"!

HJ - I hope you are serious, never know when you are/are not.

hjames
02-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Absolutely serious - I get American Bungalow magazine each month because we love the look of craftsman design homes. Our 1950s house has original hardwood floors on 2 levels. Notice that of the 5 pairs of speakers I currently own (L200s, 4341s, B-380 sub, L20T, 2 pr L60T) all are wood veneer cabinets, none are the black "ashwood". I may have glass tops on the large speaker cabinets, but its just to protect the wood. We have teak furniture all over the place.
I swapped out nearly all the kitchen cabinet doors the previous owner painted white (!!) with original clear pine doors as some of my neighbors "updated" their kitchens.

I do kid a lot, I admit it, but not about that ... :)

HJ - I hope you are serious, never know when you are/are not.

Russellc
02-14-2008, 07:35 AM
As to the amount of anti skate, I wouldnt get to wound up about it. Just add enough that it will just begin to pull the arm back in when floating. (watch the stylus) Anti skate is greatly overrated and usually is set much too high. If you follow the "HIFI Test disc" it will be way too high. Plus, it varies from the beginning grooves as compared to the ending grooves.

I still use vinyl, never stopped. Current table is a full house Merrill/Scillia modded AR "The Turntable" with magnepan Unitrac tonearm.

I have a Black Widow also and will post a pic when I get home, as to see the difference in it and the Thorens arm.

Nice table by the way, I have never seen a metal plinth Thorens like that either!

Russellc

loach71
02-14-2008, 03:18 PM
I've been on a crusade for about 20 years to rid my home of glass and chrome and plastic. Cant practically be done. Everything is oak or mahogany or teak or walnut, so I wud have preferred the teak base , but its hidden in an oak console , the price was right and I may sub in the TD-160 wood base left over from a salvage tt. toooo many projects..

What about riveted aluminum with O.D. Green spray paint..
Great for the strategic hamlet...

SEAWOLF97
02-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Great for the strategic hamlet...

I've moved ... to where you live , home of the A's & F's & B'sG's & W's (patiently waiting for the A's)

(( there's no space like Ohm ))

Krunchy
02-14-2008, 04:51 PM
...CANT STAND PLASTIC OR "BLACK ASH OR VINYL".

Well, you gotta at least make one exception, the black stuff that spins on that new Thorens of yours :) that vinyl is ok!

Your pad must be real nice Wolf, especially the look of all that mahogany moulding on the outside, I love that.

SEAWOLF97
02-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Well, you gotta at least make one exception, the black stuff that spins on that new Thorens of yours :) that vinyl is ok!

the licorice pizzas are kept in sleeves.

I bought walnut today....a gorgeous M&K sub and a SOLID walnut clock (wasnt my style, but cudnt leave it in the store ...came from some AT&T exec) ....oh yeah and a red/orange L-25.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=200705#post200705

SEAWOLF97
02-17-2008, 07:38 PM
I was looking at eBay auctions to research a differrent Thorens for sale and found this ad

http://cgi.ebay.com/THORENS-TD166-MKII-Turntable-Signet-Cartridge-GLORIOUS_W0QQitemZ110224685259QQihZ001QQcategoryZ3 283QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'll snip some of his text and see if you all agree/disagree ??

"For openers, as our readers know all too well, we only recommend 3 Thorens Turntables: This TD166 MK-II, the TD150ab-II, and the TD 160-Super. Why? Simple---We've sold EVERY Turntable on the Planet at one time or another (and quite a few of each!), and these 3 will beat the pants off most ANY Turntable made today (yes, turntables ARE 'back', and pricier than a new car!) that can be had for $5,000.00 or less.

Further, included in this 'package' is one of the Finest Cartridges you could buy 20+ years ago and, when compared to the $800---$1,000 models available today, it wipes the floor with them! The Audio Technica 'Signet' TK5E is a Dual-Magnet Design that is Absolutely Neutral, Extremely Detailed, and Ridiculously DYNAMIC----all the while Sounding Warm, Spacious, & Rich, which you would expect from AT. "

rs237
02-18-2008, 12:19 AM
Hello Seawolf
The seller has a little exaggerated, yes, he will finally achieve a good price.
The TD160, TD166 and TD150 are very good Turntables, but TD124, TD125, TD126 are better.
Even with the description of the Signet TK5SE is grossly exaggerated.

regards
juergen

SEAWOLF97
02-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Hello Seawolf,ps the QLM32MKIII which is not a very good pickup system, the turntable would have a better deserves.

I was looking around Vinyl Engine http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=69078

and found this ...

" was rather astounded that the very low tracking force QLM 32 sounded really spectacular, nearly matching the sound of the Super XLM Mk II, I had just listened to.

I even have an original XLM with about 100 hours on it. The lower-tracking-pressure QLM 32 Mk III had sounded about as good as this XLM. "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and it seems to correlate to what I was hearing yesterday. was getting the V-15 ready to swap in, but think that the QLM demo may go on a bit longer..:)

rs237
02-19-2008, 11:37 AM
hello Seawolf,

I can not understand that the only QLM nearly so well should sound like the Shure V15? What V15 because it (I, II...) and it was okay?

regards
juergen

ps I have your picture in Heather's birthday Tread seen. You are right, we could be brothers.:D

Hoerninger
02-19-2008, 12:25 PM
The SHURE V15 is a very good system and hardly to beat.

Recently I purchased a V15 type III for a very low prize - there was a DUAL 721 attached to it :D - and the needle is ok. So I could test it and enjoy. It reproduces very detailed.
But I am not shure whether I would it prefer to my Ortofon M15 E super or the M20E. They seem to sound a bit more "gentle" (weich).

SEAWOLF97
02-19-2008, 12:58 PM
The SHURE V15 is a very good system and hardly to beat.

Recently I purchased a V15 type III for a very low prize - there was a DUAL 721 attached to it :D - and the needle is ok. So I could test it and enjoy. It reproduces very detailed.
But I am not shure whether I would it prefer to my Ortofon M15 E super or the M20E. They seem to sound a bit more "gentle" (weich).

Peter ....

maybe you can answer a question ?? My Dual 701 that no longer wants to play :( has always had a V-15 type 3 , it sounded fine, but always seemed to "ride very low" ie: sometimes the body of the cart would hit the record if there was any warp. Is this normal ?
I also read of someone else who took the chrome plastic shell off to gain some clearance and reduce weight.

after all these years, I never realized that the guard should be DOWN , nearly contacting the record , I thought it was just to protect the stylus. :o:

rs237
02-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Hello Peter,

Because yes, I must agree with you. I have the end of the 70s, early 80s also prefer a Grado (I do not know exactly what) system which Shure preferred. Then and now there are only the EMT Tondose (TSD15) for me, the best course complete EMT948.

regards
juergen

rs237
02-19-2008, 01:05 PM
Peter ....

maybe you can answer a question ?? My Dual 701 that no longer wants to play :( has always had a V-15 type 3 , it sounded fine, but always seemed to "ride very low" ie: sometimes the body of the cart would hit the record if there was any warp. Is this normal ?
I also read of someone else who took the chrome plastic shell off to gain some clearance and reduce weight.

after all these years, I never realized that the guard should be DOWN , nearly contacting the record , I thought it was just to protect the stylus. :o:

Hello Seawolf,

Sorry, I do not know if I have understood you correctly. But it is often a mistake the weight requirement is too low. That is certainly worse than when you have the weight a little too high keys.

regards
Juergen

stephane RAME
02-19-2008, 01:21 PM
-Thorens TD126mk2
-SME 3009 Improved
-Denon DL103

;)

rs237
02-19-2008, 01:39 PM
one of the best !

regards
juergen

Hoerninger
02-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Seawolf,

once I read about it. There seems to be an extra force by electrostatic charge. It is due to that the axis for the platter runs within a teflon bearing (?), which does not conduct. The DIY solution has been to reassamble all and make something for earthing. But I do not know how. The simplest solution seems to be to let run a carbon brush on a little arm (CANTON and others ... formerly).

The later tone arms of DUAL seem to be perfect, I would not change anything (except someone is really knowing what he is doing).

For me the guard is for the needle - up! The only thing that may be down is a little brush that SHURE once had attached to some systems.

SEAWOLF97
02-19-2008, 03:19 PM
-Thorens TD126mk2
-SME 3009 Improved
-Denon DL103

;)

one of the best !

regards
juergen

Beautiful !!!

I am buying someone's whole system this weekend, it includes a 5 disc CD player, Sony DCP-CE375 and a NAD receiver, # 7220E and a set of medium size Bose and a Thorens Td-280 mk2 ( i know , not the best - but she is going to deliver and for a good price)....seller had this to say ... "Are you are familiar with Audio By Van Alstine in Minnesota?. The turntable was purchased from them. Audio By Van Alstine modifies their products and makes them better. The speakers were purchased from them as well. Their sticker is on the original shipping boxes."

Krunchy
02-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Mr. Seawolf! Looks like you are heading for an exciting weekend my friend, keep us posted. :)

Stephane, I like your granite turntable pedestals, great idea, very very cool! :applaud: is that the original platter on the 126, if so could you post a picture of the underside?

Thanks ;)

stephane RAME
02-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Granite and spring

SEAWOLF97
02-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Mr. Seawolf! Looks like you are heading for an exciting weekend my friend, keep us posted.

TODAY, I picked up a beautiful JVC MD deck with box, manual, etc..(remote opens up to a full keyboard for labeling) a Sony MD deck and an Advent 300 receiver ... Oh,,I need more bedrooms and bigger patio (& sheds) to store all this "stuff" :(

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-XM-448BK-Minidisc-Component-Recorder/dp/B00001OPK2/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

Hey K, you are going to have an exciting day when those boxes from Washington show up ???

Krunchy
02-20-2008, 05:35 AM
Wow Seawolf! you never cease to amaze me, that is great my friend :applaud: yes it seems like we're both in for a bit of fun. Yeah you best start building some sort of structure to house "inventory" :D
This week's been a little nutty, been sick the last few days, the beasts are due in today and if on time will "pick up" tomorrow from JFK. will not get a chance to play with till sunday, have projects that need attention, saturday is wifes 40th and will be away so no time to play. found camera & will post pictures when they are home.

Stephane, I like, very nice! great idea.

SEAWOLF97
02-21-2008, 07:07 PM
Mr. Seawolf! Looks like you are heading for an exciting weekend my friend, keep us posted. :) ;)

picked up a nice pair of Eclipse bookshelves - 3 ways in oak - today and a Technics TT and a Garrard type A tt (with owners manual) and came home just in time for a buyer to haul off my little Altec 887A's , giving me more than enough to cover the weekend delivery of the Thorens, NAD receiver , Sony CD and Bose's (still dont know the model,). :D

SEAWOLF97
02-23-2008, 06:26 PM
selling the little Altecs gave me exactly enuff for a pair of CS-88a's today, plus the TD280, NAD receiver, sony cd and the Bose speakers and all the record accessories.

The modified by Van Alstein TD 280 has a Grado (dont knwo which model) WITH THIS INTERESTING bar...balance weight ??

SEAWOLF97
02-24-2008, 07:11 PM
spent the afternoon playing with the TD280. tracking very well at 1.5g . Doesnt have the sprung suspension that the TD166 has, but I cant hear the difference or notice any problems. I think that Van Alstein added iso feet and the weird cart bar. I have an email into them to ask what thats all about.
The 280 does have end of record shutoff and arm lift , which I really like. It also has a "start" button, so you can leave it on the speed setting.

Up in the air right now about which one to keep and which one to let go...

Russellc
03-05-2008, 07:21 AM
selling the little Altecs gave me exactly enuff for a pair of CS-88a's today, plus the TD280, NAD receiver, sony cd and the Bose speakers and all the record accessories.

The modified by Van Alstein TD 280 has a Grado (dont knwo which model) WITH THIS INTERESTING bar...balance weight ??
That is Van Alsteins "Long horn Stabilizer". There is a lot of chatter on other forums about this little jewel, and others copying it. They used to cull through I forget which model of grado, but it was relatively inexpensive one, add this Longhorn stabilizer, and sell them for about 100 bucks. Many who have imitated this stabilizer have a lot of good to say about it. I think he also dampened the cartridge internally by putting some kind of goo or glue in there. See the "Audio circles" forums where van alstien has a forum for more info.

Russellc

SEAWOLF97
03-05-2008, 10:23 AM
That is Van Alsteins "Long horn Stabilizer". There is a lot of chatter on other forums about this little jewel, and others copying it. They used to cull through I forget which model of grado, but it was relatively inexpensive one, add this Longhorn stabilizer, and sell them for about 100 bucks. Many who have imitated this stabilizer have a lot of good to say about it. I think he also dampened the cartridge internally by putting some kind of goo or glue in there. See the "Audio circles" forums where van alstien has a forum for more info.

Russellc

Thanx for the pointer ...http://www.audiocircle.com does go on about the "Longhorn Mod"..I understand now, tho dont think it sounds as good as the QLM32 mk3 on the TD166. May actually join that forum, seems like fairly knowledgeable guys (tho not up to the LHF levels :D)

I was reading the AVA also adds oil to the coils.

whilst doing my cleaning, I found a Nagaoka osawa OS-100MP cart with stylus in good condition ...very little on the web about it except this German translation ...worth mounting ??

http://cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190194508418&translate=no&ssPageName=LanguageToggle

Nagaoka OS-100 MP: magnetic pickups, super-Permalloy-shielded, transmission range 20 Hz to 20000, effective mass of 0.85 mg Ubersprechdämpfung 25 dB at 1 kHz, transfer factor of 0.8 mVs / cm, the largest channel deviation 1.5 dB at 1 kHz, load impedance 30 Q, Nadelnachgiebigkeit 8 mm / N dynamic, 20 mm / N static, recommended tracking force 15 to 20 mN (optimally 18 mN), 5.5 g weight, material of the needle carrier aluminium; Price 89 DM

Abtastnadel: metallummantelter, ganzer Stein, konisch geschliffen, 15 µm Verrundungsradius
Abtastnadel: metallummantelter, whole rock, tapered ground, 15 μ m Verrundungsradius

Nagaoka OS-100 MP
Nagaoka OS-100 MP

Klanglich im wesentlichen ausgewogener, im Baß jedoch etwas üppig zeichnender magnetischer Tonabnehmer, durchschnittliches Abtastverhalten bei tiefen Frequenzen, recht gutes bei hohen Frequenzen, FIM-Verhalten nur mäßig, da zu großer vertikaler Spurwinkel, Frequenzgang und Obersprechdämpfung im gesamten Übertragungsbereich gut.

The sound basically balanced, but something lush bass zeichnender magnetic pickups, average Abtastverhalten at low frequencies, pretty good at high frequencies, FIM behavior only moderately, as too large vertical track angle, frequency response and Obersprechdämpfung throughout the transmission area well.
Im Vergleich zum MC-30 ist das Klangbild leicht belegt, beim Abtasten einer Direktschnittplatte mit Klavier werden Impulse etwas abgerundet, so daß sie klingt wie eine normale Klavierplatte.

Compared to the MC-30 is the sound image easily demonstrated while sampling a direct interface plate with a little piano impulses are rounded so that it sounds like a normal piano plate.
Guter magnetischer Tonabnehmer.

Good magnetic pickups.
Hervorragende Preis-Qualität-Relation.

Outstanding price-quality ratio.

TECHNISCHE DATEN
SPECIFICATIONS

Modell: OS-100MP
Model: OS-100MP

Typ: Permalloy
Type: Permalloy

Schwinganker
Vibrating

Zweikanal
Two Channel

Material:
Material:

Abschirmgehäuse Super-Permalloy
Abschirmgehäuse Super Permalloy

Außengehäuse Druckguß
External casing pressure casting

Frequenzgang 20-20.000 Hz
Hz frequency response 20-20.000

Effektive Masse der Nadelspitze 0,85 mg
Effective mass of the needle tip 0.85 mg

Kanaltrennung 25 dB/1000 Hz
Channel separation 25 Hz dB/1000

Ausgangsspannung 4 mv/1000 Hz
Output voltage 4 Hz mv/1000

Kanalbalance 1,5 dB/1000 Hz
Channel Balance 1.5 Hz dB/1000

Empfohlene Last 30 k-Ohm
Featured last 30 k-ohm

Nadel 0,6 mil
Needle 0.6 Mil

Diamant kegelförmig
Conical diamond

Compliance (dynamisch) 8x10-6 cm/dyne
Compliance (dynamic) 8x10-6 cm / dyne

Compliance (statisch) 20x10-6 cm/dyne
Compliance (static) 20x10-6 cm / dyne

Auflagekraft 1,5-2,0 g (optimal 1,8 g)
Circulation force 1,5-2,0 g (1.8 g optimally)

Hebelarm Aluminium
Aluminium lever arm

Gewicht 5,5 g
Weight 5.5 g

Ersatznadel N-100MP
Styluses N-100MP