PDA

View Full Version : Marantz DP870 / Harman Kardon ADP303 issues

Fred Sanford
01-31-2008, 07:25 AM
Hopefully somebody out there has some experience with this, and can give me a clue if the problem lies with the component or some kind of setup issue.

Marantz DP870 (clone of the H/K ADP303) Dolby Digital processor, working alongside my Adcom GTP600 Pro-Logic preamp. Most functions seem perfect, but it can't seem to ever lock on a Dolby Digital signal. Passes PCM perfectly, but never locks on AC3/DD from LD, DVD or my TiVo's DVD-R. Dead silence. Throws test tone to all 5 speakers (manual states it won't send tone to the sub). Never lights up the AC3/DD indicator on the front display.

I've tried menu settings in my Pioneer DVL-909, from the PCM only coax I get PCM stereo, from the optical or coax DD outs I get silence if DD is selected in the menu, stereo if "downconvert to PCM" is selected in the menu. On the Pioneer TiVo/DVD-R settings, it's similar (optical out only)- if DD is active, I get all the navigation beeps 'n' boops, but none of the disc's audio if it's a DD disc. Set it for PCM, I get stereo just fine. I've got other DVD players to try, but at this point I'm looking at the Marantz being busted or set up incorrectly.

Any experience with this unit or a similar one? Thanks in advance...

je

mreed112
02-03-2008, 10:38 AM
I am a newcomer here but I have a ADP303 that I used to use that always worked. I didn't see in your post but as I recall you have to make sure your DVD player is set to bitstream for the decoder to work.

If you find that your decoder is the issue, I'll let you have my ADP 303 for $50 plus shipping. I have replaced mine with a Technics DD/DTS decoder feeding my HK AVR 80.

Fred Sanford
02-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the offer, it's greatly appreciated. Once I determine the source of my problem I'll be in touch.

je

Fred Sanford
04-25-2008, 06:31 PM
Got the H/K 303 from Mike, it's blasting Lucinda Williams at Austin City Limits as I type. Don't know if he's stuck around here, but the deal was smooth & the packing perfect.

Now I've got to figure out what I might do with a Marantz 870 that's just a stereo DAC...hmmm...

je

mreed112
04-26-2008, 08:57 AM
John --

Thanks for the positive public comments.

I have continued to lurk here and pick up valuable info from the JBL fraternity.

I became a JBL enthusiast this winter when I replaced my tired old AR3a's that I bought new in 1968 with a pair of mint L220's. I love the sound of the L220's.