PDA

View Full Version : Eliminating bass cabinet resonances

dlwearl
01-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Hi guys,

I have a pair of bass-reflex cabinets, 24X24X40 (which, yes, I now realize wasn't the best choice of measurements) loaded with 2241g's They have a pronounced resonance from about 48-60 hz or so and I would like some tips on anything I can do to reduce it?

I was planning on purchasing an Ashly GQX-3102 equalizer which could certainly help pull things into alignment, but would adding more fiberglass insulation help in the meantime?

Let me be the first to admit that I frankly don't understand the technical aspects of how the bass-reflex cabinet works. :)

Thanks,
David

Robh3606
01-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Hello David

Get a copy of WinIsd, it's a free box program that is easy to use. It will help you figure out what's going on. The port dimensions are just as important as the overall volume. They tune the box. What are you port dimensions?? Better yet try the program as see what it tells you.

Rob:)

readswift
01-23-2008, 11:14 AM
winISD is easy, you wont stop playing if you taste it . Really nice, its the reason im here ( tinker with JBL drivers )

Baron030
01-23-2008, 11:57 AM
If the box is out of tune then follow Robh3606’s advice and down load WinIsd.

But, if it is the box that is resonating then adding more fiberglass insulation is not going to help. Start by hooking up a signal generator to your system and run some frequency sweeps. You should be able to feel the box vibrating when you hit its resonant frequency. Some panels will vibrate more then others and adding some bracing to those panels should clear that problem right up.

And if by chance you don’t own a signal generator then do a search on “SigJenny” within this site and you will turn up something that I posted a while back on the SigJenny freeware program.

Baron030 :)