PDA

View Full Version : HD DVD format death knell...?

boputnam
01-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Warner Brothers announced at CES they are only supporting Blu-ray (http://www.blu-ray.com/) format.

This is the PC World (http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,141070-c,ces/article.html) take.

Here is news from venerable FT (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/071f6a1c-bcc2-11dc-bcf9-0000779fd2ac.html).

JBL 4645
01-08-2008, 09:42 PM
bop

Well as long as DVD stays in production I’m not touching ether format, be it HD-DVD or Bluray, sorry to sound cynical about this, but I’m sure you know where I’m coming from, and I needn’t spell it out. All I can say is it’s a pity and I think Hollywood should stop toying around with this, white elephant, so it has higher 50GB over HD-DVD all the trimmings in the word will not, seduce me into buying ether format, and I’m a film junkie, but not a moron to shall out close to £800.00 for a player.:hmm::no:

BMWCCA
01-09-2008, 12:29 AM
What are you talking about? :dont-know A Blu-Ray player in the states costs less than $260, even on Amazon.com, and our money's worthless! Buy a Playstation3 and get Blu-Ray, a great gaming console, and a PC all in one package for less than $400.

hjames
01-09-2008, 05:30 AM
You got rid of your Beta for VHS,moved from there to Laserdisc, then to DVD ...
Its a continual path to higher performance ... there will ALWAYS be a new thing -
and the price ALWAYS gets cheaper once it becomes more common
(remember $1500 VCRs? I do)

BTW, have you seen the Screen cap comparison of DVD to HD DVD from Lord of the Rings??

http://www.cornbread.org/FOTRCompare/index.html

when you Mouse-over the images you see an HD screen cap, otherwise its a standard DVD screencap.

Just an FYI ... High Def DVDs WILL come, and its NOT a scam.

There WILL be a High Def DVD format, be assured of that - the ONLY question is how early to adopt it!

bop

Well as long as DVD stays in production I’m not touching ether format, be it HD-DVD or Bluray, sorry to sound cynical about this, but I’m sure you know where I’m coming from, and I needn’t spell it out. All I can say is it’s a pity and I think Hollywood should stop toying around with this, white elephant, so it has higher 50GB over HD-DVD all the trimmings in the word will not, seduce me into buying ether format, and I’m a film junkie, but not a moron to shall out close to £800.00 for a player.:hmm::no:

Tom Brennan
01-09-2008, 07:57 AM
"BTW, have you seen the Screen cap comparison of DVD to HD DVD from Lord of the Rings??"

No, I try to avoid anything that has to do with Lord of the Rings. ;)

DVDs look pretty good, not as good as HD but good enough that when I go from HD to DVD I don't feel let down. I have John Ford's Cheyenne Autumn on HD on my DVR and also have the new DVD of the picture and can compare directly; HD is better, no doubt, but the DVD looks pretty damned good.

Cheyenne Autumn was shot in 70mm by Bill Clothier and has an amazing look with intense color and detail; IMO nothing looks better than a Ford-Clothier picture. Except The Searchers maybe; Ford and Hoch. I have that picture in HD on my DVR too.

I reckon I'm the market for HD discs; I have the dough and I've been into this hobby from the beginning and still use my LD machine. I have well over 500 DVDs and still have a couple of hundred LDs. And I haven't bought into HD discs yet.

hjames
01-09-2008, 08:01 AM
Sure, I haven't bought into HD discs yet either ...

Again, "the ONLY question is how early to adopt it!"

I've got fine gear - I can wait ... probably you can too!

Mr. Widget
01-09-2008, 08:55 AM
DVDs look pretty good, not as good as HD but good enough that when I go from HD to DVD I don't feel let down. This is very software dependent... some DVDs look outstanding while others are unwatchable on a high-end projection system.

Unfortunately high rez is no guarantee of excellence either. If the conversion or disc authoring were shoddy the results are less spectacular.

I am glad this silly format war seems to be coming to an end, after the recent apparent loss of SACD it would be a shame for this war to force us to loose another high end format.

Widget

JBL 4645
01-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Sure, I haven't bought into HD discs yet either ...

Again, "the ONLY question is how early to adopt it!"

I've got fine gear - I can wait ... probably you can too!

I’m with Heather on this one, I might consider it when the format war has ended and only when (ONE) is left standing to serve the consumer market place, not until then.

By the way I’ve never owned Betamax, only VHS which never gets played anymore.

So its laserdisc and DVD, I hope HD-DVD wins, I mean its logical, DVD has been around for 10 years, and I think it should continue with HD-DVD.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee18/DemolitionMan3417/Casablanca1-1.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee18/DemolitionMan3417/Casablanca2-1.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee18/DemolitionMan3417/Casablanca3-1.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee18/DemolitionMan3417/Casablanca4-1.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee18/DemolitionMan3417/Transformersopening.jpg

This image from Transformers is a direct screen capture from the region 2 DVD that I own.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee18/DemolitionMan3417/Transformers1openingUSversions.jpg

The above is a region 1 DVD, I did have a HD-DVD image that some guy was sharing on the AVS site, but I’ve misplaced it somewhere.

BMWCCA
01-09-2008, 03:05 PM
I hope HD-DVD wins, I mean its logical, DVD has been around for 10 years, and I think it should continue with HD-DVD.If I didn't know better, I'd have to label you ignorant after such a statement! ;)

How 'bout "may the best format win"? Why would you want to dumb down the whole industry just because of Microsoft? Not that they haven't already had that effect on the computer market.

Rolf
01-10-2008, 07:31 AM
It will take a long time before I buy any HDDVD. I have a 52" Thomson back projector (is that right in English?), and it not HD ready. As I do not watch many DVD's, it is more than good enough. When more TV Channels starting to send in HD I will consider to buy a large LCD screen. 50" or bigger LCD is not on the marked yet, or they are so expensive. Hopefully when more TV channels transmit in HD, the price has come to "normal" on big LCD. I don't think Plasma will be around so much longer. What do you people think?

I don't care what format win, but I hope it will be the best. Witch one is the best anyway?

JBL 4645
01-10-2008, 05:28 PM
It will take a long time before I buy any HDDVD. I have a 52" Thomson back projector (is that right in English?), and it not HD ready. As I do not watch many DVD's, it is more than good enough. When more TV Channels starting to send in HD I will consider to buy a large LCD screen. 50" or bigger LCD is not on the marked yet, or they are so expensive. Hopefully when more TV channels transmit in HD, the price has come to "normal" on big LCD. I don't think Plasma will be around so much longer. What do you people think?

I don't care what format win, but I hope it will be the best. Witch one is the best anyway?

Rolf

Rear projection TV my friend.:)

I did say I was bit cynical about it, I was cynical about computers 10 years ago but I’ve managed to get over that.

Yes may the best format win that, should suffice.:D

In one of the top consumer electronic stores in the UK, (Dixons) there isn’t one single CRT in plain sight! (LCD and plasma) and that’s it. I haven’t seen one HD-DVD or Bluray player in the store as of yet, and that debuted in the UK on December 2006.

Even ASDA store doesn’t have HD-DVD or Bluray players, only HD-DVD and Bluray discs, hardly anyone is looking at those. When I go walking around the store, everyone is looking at DVD, even thou some of the titles are £20.00 pounds for HD-DVD Bluray.

Rolf
01-11-2008, 01:19 AM
Rear projection TV my friend.:)

Thanks!

In one of the top consumer electronic stores in the UK, (Dixons) there isn’t one single CRT in plain sight! (LCD and plasma) and that’s it. I haven’t seen one HD-DVD or Bluray player in the store as of yet, and that debuted in the UK on December 2006.

Even ASDA store doesn’t have HD-DVD or Bluray players, only HD-DVD and Bluray discs, hardly anyone is looking at those. When I go walking around the store, everyone is looking at DVD, even thou some of the titles are £20.00 pounds for HD-DVD Bluray.

Many shops here has Plasma up to about 60", and LCD stops at about 42". Prices from £500 (Not good) to £5000 (Very good). At least 3-4 different brands of Blyrays. Prices about £450

JBL 4645
01-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Rolf

You see I don’t have a big issue with that price (£450.00) that was around the average cost of my first budget SONY DVD player region 2 of course, back around (1999 2000).

But what if, what if one of these high definition formats goes under, in the same way Betamax went, I read that the last Betamax player was manufactured around (2000 2001?) and rental libraries stopped stocking them, as far as I remember around late 1980’s if not mid 1980’s leaving only VHS on the shelves.

I know they make combo HD-DVD Bluray players which isn’t a bad idea but it’s the silly studios playing (silly buggers)! (FOX) (Paramount) (Columbia SONY pictures) (Warner Bros) major stupidity is what it really is, well as along as DVD is still around they’ve got a problem to sort out.

I mean I don’t recall them doing this when Betamax and VHS was around apart from Betamax had the better (line resolution) over VHS, what was it 50 line difference for Betamax?

hjames
01-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Rolf
But what if, what if one of these high definition formats goes under, in the same way Betamax went, I read that the last Betamax player was manufactured around (2000 2001?) and rental libraries stopped stocking them, as far as I remember around late 1980’s if not mid 1980’s leaving only VHS on the shelves.

So - don't buy today, problem solved!
If you wait a year it should all be sorted out anyway - then its just a question of the economies of manufacturing driving the cost to the consumer down where it becomes common to everyone, much as CD players and DVD players are cheap and available today ...

High Def TV its much like audio - if you can't SEE (HEAR) the difference, don't upgrade any further.

Me, I have plenty of HighDef TV channels in my area so I have a High Def TV - but - I'll wait for the High Def DVD field to settle before I buy into either system.

JBL 4645
01-11-2008, 11:55 AM
So - don't buy today, problem solved!
If you wait a year it should all be sorted out anyway - then its just a question of the economies of manufacturing driving the cost to the consumer down where it becomes common to everyone, much as CD players and DVD players are cheap and available today ...

LOL an average DVD box-set at ASDA may cost more than there cheaper DVD player which was around £30.00 I think last year, but don’t quote me on that. :D

Anyway hands up who on this site has a HD-DVD and Bluray player running with there JBL system now? Come on don’t be shy.:D

bloatedpig
01-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Yea........unless you have a 50" HD screen or bigger the difference in picture quality is small. I do have a 50" and went to Blu-Ray early on. It only makes sense. The possibilities of having a disc with that more usable space available down the road is a no-brainer. For the record, I have a stand alone player from Samsung that is very capable but takes way too much time to boot up and the respond time is very poor. I stepped-up to a Play Station 3 from the 2 at Xmas and the Blu-Ray player in it is fast as sin. I relegated my Samsung to the basement tv and am now using the Sony for my main unit.............it is really that good.

Regards

Rolf
01-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Rolf

You see I don’t have a big issue with that price (£450.00) that was around the average cost of my first budget SONY DVD player region 2 of course, back around (1999 2000).

I know they make combo HD-DVD Bluray players which isn’t a bad idea but it’s the silly studios playing (silly buggers)! (FOX) (Paramount) (Columbia SONY pictures) (Warner Bros) major stupidity is what it really is, well as along as DVD is still around they’ve got a problem to sort out.

I mean I don’t recall them doing this when Betamax and VHS was around apart from Betamax had the better (line resolution) over VHS, what was it 50 line difference for Betamax?

I think what you are saying, is what I said in a previous post.

The "fighting" between different formats will come to an end, one will Winn, and in a couple or years another format will come.

This is the way it is. Just like computers. Right now I have a relative up going system, but in 6 months it is "old". If I and you want to stay in the front, changing is necessary very often.

I try to keep up regarding the computer, but as I said: No HD is necessary for me at the moment as the TV channels don't transmit it.

Tom Brennan
01-12-2008, 08:36 AM
Yea........unless you have a 50" HD screen or bigger the difference in picture quality is small.

C'mon. I can see the difference between SD and HD on any size television. In any event when using proper viewing distance the image is the same size in your field of vision regardless of it's size.

Because I can live with the difference between SD DVD and HD doesn't mean I don't see the difference.

hjames
01-12-2008, 09:11 AM
But the discussion here wasn't between HDTV and SDTV - it was between competing High Def DVD formats.
With reasonable hardware most anyone can see the difference between HDTV and SDTV. If you have HDTV sources (Over the air, CATV/Sat TV) and its not too dear, why not go that way?

Steve Schell
01-14-2008, 01:47 AM
I began viewing HD sources a couple years ago when visiting my nephew. He is running a 50" Pioneer Elite plasma set with a bunch of HD cable channels. Terrific picture, mezmerizing almost regardless of what is on.

For a few months now I have had an Epson 720p LCD projector lighting up a homemade 86" wide 16:9 screen. Mostly I watch DVD music videos, though I bought a Sanyo HD broadcast tuner. The HD picture is worlds better, though the challenge is to find programs (mostly PBS) worth watching. I fear if I subscribed to the good channels I would never get any work done.

My thoughts are that the HD disc sales will take off after the 2009 conversion to HD broadcast is complete. Standard DVDs will suddenly look poor to the public after they become used to HD broadcast, and the transition to HD software will pick up steam.

johnaec
01-14-2008, 10:01 AM
My thoughts are that the HD disc sales will take off after the 2009 conversion to HD broadcast is complete.'Not quite accurate. The actual conversion is to digital from analog broadcast, which doesn't necessarily mean HD, though HD will surely start becoming more prevalent...

John

Steve Schell
01-23-2008, 12:25 AM
Thanks John, what I don't know about all this stuff would fill a book. I guess I assumed that all the post-switchover broadcast would be in HD because so much of it is already.

jblbgw_man
01-23-2008, 03:18 AM
HD funnily enough is defined as something other than SD, so that could be 680, 720, or 1080 pixels, always read the fine print. :banghead:

JBL 4645
01-25-2008, 05:16 AM
I began viewing HD sources a couple years ago when visiting my nephew. He is running a 50" Pioneer Elite plasma set with a bunch of HD cable channels. Terrific picture, mezmerizing almost regardless of what is on.

For a few months now I have had an Epson 720p LCD projector lighting up a homemade 86" wide 16:9 screen. Mostly I watch DVD music videos, though I bought a Sanyo HD broadcast tuner. The HD picture is worlds better, though the challenge is to find programs (mostly PBS) worth watching. I fear if I subscribed to the good channels I would never get any work done.

My thoughts are that the HD disc sales will take off after the 2009 conversion to HD broadcast is complete. Standard DVDs will suddenly look poor to the public after they become used to HD broadcast, and the transition to HD software will pick up steam.

Steve Schell

The Epson video projector, any good and did it cost you too much? The prices have lowered so, so, much now, that you can practically buy one for £800.00 or less, when fishing around on Google Product.

4313B
01-31-2008, 11:13 AM
My thoughts are that the HD disc sales will take off after the 2009 conversion to HD broadcast is complete. Standard DVDs will suddenly look poor to the public after they become used to HD broadcast, and the transition to HD software will pick up steam.That would be my first thought too. However, I would prefer we simply migrate to total digital download instead. All of it on one disk, none of this collecting CD's and DVD's crap like we did with vinyl. For one thing it is a gross misuse of resources. All the plastic and paper packaging, processing and distributing that goes into one CD or DVD is ludicrous. How much gasoline is wasted getting a CD or DVD to market? The whole process is completely nuts. It's just data...

Blu-ray? HD? Who cares? I want my money in a big fat Internet pipe and stream this stuff 24/7/365 and it has to be downloadable to my cell, my car, my laptop, my PC/gaming console/TV.

BMWCCA
01-31-2008, 12:01 PM
I want my money in a big fat Internet pipe and stream this stuff 24/7/365 and it has to be downloadable to my cell, my car, my laptop, my PC/gaming console/TV.And now that ISPs are experimenting with pay-by-use format, how do you feel about downloading your movies and going over your plan limit only to find out you've spent more to download a compressed file than you would have spent at your local DVD emporium to own the original? So much for the "free" Internet(s).

4313B
01-31-2008, 12:19 PM
And now that ISPs are experimenting with pay-by-use format, how do you feel about downloading your movies and going over your plan limit only to find out you've spent more to download a compressed file than you would have spent at your local DVD emporium to own the original? So much for the "free" Internet(s).And therein lies the crux of the problem with the thinking. What's cheaper?

The question is, what is better in the long run based on an expanded view of the situation. What kind of global impact will there be when the total costs are tallied. Yeah, we had CD's we could buy in the store but we hacked down all our trees and sucked up all our fuel making it happen so now we have to wear these effing biosuits around all the time and look at all these shiny discs sitting around because our landfills are full of garbage from the last generation who also had virtually no foresight. I'm getting real sick and tired of the losers running things that think only about immediate cost and cost saving at the expense of the whole world around them.

I watch stuff being packaged by the thousands and thousands by the hour and I wonder if all this crap is biodegradable in a timely manner. The native american who said we would eventually choke in our own filth was right on the money, no pun intended. :p

This stuff is just data, download it or distribute it more efficiently. If bandwidth is your concern then turn the local video stores into data stores with a little server farm where we can bring in our jump drives or whatever and transfer the data right then and there.

Ian Mackenzie
01-31-2008, 01:04 PM
We have a whole rack section for both Blue Ray and HD DVD disks at JB HiFi (large Mass market chain) and they stock both format players. Its depends on what you want to watch..Lord of the Rings or something else at the moment?

I think HD DVD makes more sense but Sony likes to be Sony.

The real driver for Full HD viewing is not the play back the formats but free to air FULL HD TV Broadcasting (at least over here) at the moment. All the stations are increasing their HD content and most now have a dedicated HD channel. Two years ago there were only some HD transmissions and the FULL HD standards were still being sorted out.

How do you guys cope with 99 channels of HD Extreme Make Over?

I dont know anyone who throws their CD and DVD's in the bin so I dont think that really relevent to the discussion. Using a LCD screen makes more sense (about 1/2 power consumption of Plasma) if you want to make a carbon neutral statement.

Compare your point to the food packaging industry. I mean hello?
High density polypropolyne bags that you take your stuff home from Safeway..now there's a problem.

At any rate the stuff has to get to market and that food chain is well and truely embedded. Save your bandwidth for the your MS security downloads.

4313B
01-31-2008, 01:47 PM
Compare your point to the food packaging industry. I mean hello?
High density polypropolyne bags that you take your stuff home from Safeway..now there's a problem.It's all a problem, how we package and distribute everything. It will end.
At any rate the stuff has to get to market and that food chain is well and truely embedded.It will come to an end or morph into something else.
Save your bandwidth for the your MS security downloads.If you honestly think http://www.level3.com/ exists so that Microsoft has a conduit to push security updates then you are sorely mistaken.

How do you guys cope with 99 channels of HD Extreme Make Over?We're basically brain dead.

I think HD DVD makes more sense but Sony likes to be Sony.They're still pissed about Betamax.

JBL 4645
02-16-2008, 10:24 PM
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/Evolution3417/HD-DVDjoke.jpg

BMWCCA
02-16-2008, 10:59 PM
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iTHHXJdHiSuq8n1753HbYdPYHbKwD8URS5400

Report: Toshiba May End HD DVD Format

46 minutes ago
TOKYO (AP) — Japanese electronics maker Toshiba might withdraw its HD DVD next-generation video format, Kyodo News agency reported Saturday.
The report cited unidentified individuals from the industry as saying Toshiba Corp. is reviewing its operations, with the timing of the withdrawal to be decided later, depending on U.S. demand for its HD DVD products and other factors.
Calls went unanswered at Toshiba Corp.'s Tokyo office, which was closed for the weekend.
HD DVD has been competing against the Blu-ray technology, backed by Sony Corp., other makers and five major Hollywood movie studios.
Recently the Blu-ray disc format has been gaining market share, while Toshiba has been forced to slash prices to sell its HD DVD machines. A Toshiba pullout would signal the almost certain defeat of HD DVD to Blu-ray.
On Friday, Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the largest U.S. retailer, said it will sell only Blu-ray DVDs and hardware and no longer carry HD DVD offerings.
The announcement came five days after Netflix Inc. said it will cease carrying rentals in HD DVD. Several major U.S. retailers have made similar decisions, including Target Corp. and Blockbuster Inc.
Last month, Warner Bros. Entertainment decided to release movie discs only in the Blu-ray format, becoming the latest studio to reject HD DVD.
Warner Bros., owned by Time Warner Inc., had been the only remaining Hollywood studio releasing high-definition DVDs in both formats.

JBL 4645
02-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Well that didn’t take too long for the demise of HD-DVD only leaves Bluray now doesn’t it and I’m not even going to touch that because SONY will never every realise SDDS8 channel onto the format war disc yes true five screen channels I don’t want more surround channels I can get that though matrix techniques.

So I really hope Bluray is next on the casualty list, because I hardly see anyone looking at Bluray discs in ASDA also HMV, this whole thing has been a waste of bits that must have cost billions worldwide.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee18/DemolitionMan3417/IsHD-DVDBluraysafe.jpg

JBL 4645
02-17-2008, 12:48 AM
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/Evolution3417/DontcryformeHD-DVD.jpg

It won't be easy, you'll think it strange
When I try to explain how I feel
that I still need your love after all that I've done

You won't believe me
All you will see is a HD-DVD you once knew
Although she's dressed up to the nines
At zeros and ones with you

I had to let it happen, I had to change
Couldn't stay all my life down at heel
Looking out of the window, staying out of the sun

So I chose Bluray
Running around, trying everything new
But nothing impressed me at all
I never expected it to

Chorus:

Don't cry for me HD-DVD
The truth is I never left you
All through my wild days
My mad existence
I kept my promise
Don't keep your distance

And as for fortune, and as for fame
I never invited them in
Though it seemed to the world they were all I desired

They are illusions
They are not the solutions they promised to be
The answer was here all the time
I love you and hope you love me

Don't cry for me HD-DVD

(chorus)

Have I said too much?
There's nothing more I can think of to say to you.
But all you have to do is look at me to know
That every word is true

hjames
02-17-2008, 06:29 AM
What a waste of good bits in your doublepost!

Like I told you before, just wait a couple years and it will be affordable, but, its NOT going away ...Bluray is NOT going to be on a casualty list - its too much of a money-maker. The studios can sell all their films again, in an improved format. Its like selling Remastered albums to folks who already own the original LP, and own the first CD release and own the previous remaster, etc ... Some folks will buy the same content over and over each time it gets "improved", and that makes the Studios and the content owners lots of money.

There will be a HighDefinition DVD system, it looks like the standard is gong to be the Blu-ray system and vendors are jumping ship from the cheaper HD-DVD system. None of your whining (or cheeseball screen-caps) will going to change that. Get over it Ashley, in 10 years or less your Standard Def (SD) DVDs (and mine, and everyone else's) are going to look as ugly on screen as VHS tapes do to us now. Once the price comes down (and it will) folks will get used to the better image quality and
sound of the blu-ray discs.

Well that didn’t take too long for the demise of HD-DVD only leaves Bluray now doesn’t it and I’m not even going to touch that because SONY will never every realise SDDS8 channel onto the format war disc yes true five screen channels I don’t want more surround channels I can get that though matrix techniques.

So I really hope Bluray is next on the casualty list, because I hardly see anyone looking at Bluray discs in ASDA also HMV, this whole thing has been a waste of bits that must have cost billions worldwide.

JBL 4645
02-17-2008, 07:36 AM
Never I, will not go quietly into the night without saying, this is all a big Hollywood Jewish conspiracy, to milk consumers. I don’t want any rotten Sony play station I, dislike playing games, with a bunch idiots who drink.

The only way there get me to buy a Sony Bluray is when they take my DVD player away from dead cold fingers.

I don’t want Bluray, Bluray is Evil…

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/Evolution3417/Blurayisevill.jpg

porschedpm
02-17-2008, 10:18 AM
I hear you 4645. Nobody's going to take my Betamax or 8-track player from me either.

JBL 4645
02-17-2008, 10:38 AM
I see a real bad development here what if, 90% are still buying DVD discs and only 10% on Bluray, now that SONY has hold of the market, what if, no one buys the Bluray players and the discs are just sitting on the shelves.

While at the same time most are buying DVD discs, which are far more affordable and enjoyable as well.

This format-war was all about [bit size date storage] nothing more oh, what a palaver.

hjames
02-17-2008, 11:10 AM
I see a real bad development here what if, 90% are still buying DVD discs and only 10% on Bluray, now that SONY has hold of the market, what if, no one buys the Bluray players and the discs are just sitting on the shelves.

This format-war was all about [bit size date storage] nothing more oh, what a palaver.

But - they ARE buying Blu-ray and Playstation3 is a cheap way into it ...
Ashley, you REALLY need to LOOK at HDTV and DVDs to see what the hooha is all about, it IS a cleaner better picture than standard DVDs -

Even Harman Kardon is going the Blu-ray way ...

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/02/13/harman-kardon-hops-on-the-blu-ray-bandwagon/

http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/02/13/harman.kardon.does.blu.ray/

('cause after all, this IS a site for Harman gear, hey?)

JBL 4645
02-17-2008, 11:24 AM
But - they ARE buying Blu-ray and Playstation3 is a cheap way into it ...
Ashley, you REALLY need to LOOK at HDTV and DVDs to see what the hooha is all about, it IS a cleaner better picture than standard DVDs -

Even Harman Kardon is going the Blu-ray way ...

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/02/13/harman-kardon-hops-on-the-blu-ray-bandwagon/

http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/02/13/harman.kardon.does.blu.ray/

('cause after all, this IS a site for Harman gear, hey?)

Well Heather until someone is very kind enough to let me see hear a demonstration and under my own inspection I will not be satisfied with it and I will not have a Sony play station in the home no way, it looks like a kiddies toy for playing games on.

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11081295/Sony_Playstation_3_60gb_Game_Console__Brand_New.jp g

hjames
02-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Go out, go to the store and give them a view - they are selling like crazy on their own, so no one is gonna loan you one.

Then again, if you don't have an HDTV to watch on, its all moot anyway, now isn't it?

You have no HD television, so you have NO IDEA what you are even talking about.
Playing HD on that little TV of yours, yeah, you'd never see the difference, it wouldn't matter to you.

Well Heather until someone is very kind enough to let me see hear a demonstration and under my own inspection I will not be satisfied with it

JBL 4645
02-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Well I might buy a HD-Ready video protector one day, maybe I mean it’s an option, but I see it mostly being used for laserdisc and DVD, maybe Bluray, maybe.

I don’t want to borrow a Bluray player and few discs I want to see it being demonstrated around someone’s home not some junkyard electronics store down Bournemouth high street. Well there is that Hi-Fi store in Westover Road, Suttons Hi-Fi but I doubt they could even impress me to the fullest, well maybe.

Sorry, no I’m not sorry at all, because of this format war that is why I’m so cynical about the whole thing.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee18/DemolitionMan3417/KneelbeforeBluraykneel.jpg

johnaec
02-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Home Theater Magazine recently chose the Playstation 3 as the Product of the Year because of it's Blue-Ray DVD capabilities vs. cost. Besides an expensive Pioneer unit, it said it was the only DVD player that lets you advance movies frame by frame. That said, they had reservations about its audio capabilities, mainly that you have to use optical connections for "theater" audio, and PCM, not HDMI: http://hometheatermag.com/discplayers/407blu/index1.html

It still received Product of the Year in their 2008 Buyer's Guide.

John

JBL 4645
02-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Pioneer has always been a favourite in the days of laserdisc even duel laserdisc with DVD. So does Pioneer do a HD-DVD Bluray version combining both technologies this will take a lot to convince me that Bluray is the thing for me.

And it only took one listen to JBL at the Empire back on Wednesday 13th September 1989 Indiana Jones in 70mm six-track Dolby SR a mere few minintes and I was hooked on JBL from that day onwards.

So should I take my cynical hide down to a showroom where they have one set-up and go though it with a fine tooth comb?

BMWCCA
02-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Never I, will not go quietly into the night without saying, this is all a big Hollywood Jewish conspiracy, to milk consumers. I've been somewhat forgiving of your peculiarities, until now. I'm pretty sure you've crossed the line here, but then I'm certain you'll never, ever, notice any such line. At 5'-6" and 250-lbs., my father was a "big Jewish conspiracy" who'd not have taken your reference lightly. At 6'-2", 205-lbs., with a Protestant mother, I may be only half the Jew he was, but I'm still offended by your choice of words. We're a very tolerant lot here, mostly because we don't go out of the way to offend anyone, anyone's beliefs, or anyone's sexual preference. You might want to engage your brain before you put your mouth in gear the next time. I'm disappointed in you. Just a well-intentioned suggestion. :(

JBL 4645
02-17-2008, 04:55 PM
BMWCCA

It was flipping joke :D most know that Hollywood is made up of Jewish directors and producers and so on and I have every respect for them. Come on mate if you want I’ll take the piss out of my own country right here if you want, but I’d rather do it in the pm.

If I didn’t like them I wouldn’t see any of Steven Spielberg’s films.

I’m not Mel Gibson, and we all know how he feels about the issue LOL and I bet he’s on the Bluray conspiracy with a theory. :D

JBL 4645
02-17-2008, 05:14 PM
I’ve decided to use part of this text that I just sent to a member via the pm the names have been changed to protect the incident… :D

“It took me some three years before I bought DVD and I was so cynical about DVD back around the time it started because I’d only just been a laserdisc owner for 4 years and I wasn’t too happy about the way laserdisc was given the axe with final production ending around 2000 -2001?

So now can you see where I’m coming from with this issue of dislike for the two formats, I mean one.”

Steve Schell
02-19-2008, 09:39 AM
It's over; Toshiba has pulled the plug on HD DVD:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080219/ap_on_bi_ge/japan_toshiba

Mr. Widget
02-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Saw that one coming... they've been dumping their players for weeks now. Too bad for the smaller mastering studios that bought some expensive gear that is now virtually useless...

Widget

Rolf
02-19-2008, 01:01 PM
It has being this for years. VHS, BETA, VIDEO2000 in the past.

I do not believe there will be anything different now, and in the future.

The best format will not always Winn, but in this case the blur-ray is better than the DVDHD format. So maybe..

BUT there are already better formats lurking around, so who knows.

JBL 4645
02-20-2008, 09:07 AM
It's over; Toshiba has pulled the plug on HD DVD:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080219/ap_on_bi_ge/japan_toshiba

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/Evolution3417/HD-DVDjoke.jpg
:D

It has being this for years. VHS, BETA, VIDEO2000 in the past.

I do not believe there will be anything different now, and in the future.

The best format will not always Winn, but in this case the blur-ray is better than the DVDHD format. So maybe..

BUT there are already better formats lurking around, so who knows.

Blimey mate, now there’s a thing from the past Video2000 haven’t heard that name mentioned in a little over 20 years

http://www.video99.co.uk/beta/vr2020.jpg

http://www.video99.co.uk/ (http://www.video99.co.uk/)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_2000 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_2000)

Baron030
02-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Now that Blue-Ray has finally won the video war.

I would think that there are going to be a lot of HD DVD players that are going to be dumped on the market at deep discount prices simply because they do not support the Blue-Ray format.

Since, I am primarily interested in upgrading from a standard CD player to a machine that will support the SACD and DVD Audio stereo formats. Does anyone have some recommendations for a new SACD and DVD Audio player that I can purchase new at a discount price?

My initial thoughts are possibly purchasing a new Yamaha DVD-S2500 player. And I would think that within a very few weeks the price on this model is going to drop like a stone.

Are there any other brands or models that I sure keep my eye out for?
Or should I wait a while longer for a Blue-Ray/SACD compatable player?

Baron030 :)

Mr. Widget
02-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Or should I wait a while longer for a Blue-Ray/SACD compatable player?I wouldn't wait... SACD is also going the way of the HD-DVD.:(

Widget

richluvsound
02-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Just been on German Ebay, a lot of HK HDCD for real cheap.

That PS3 is gonna go like hot cakes even more than it already has .

Rich

hjames
02-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Just been on German Ebay, a lot of HK HDCD for real cheap.

That PS3 is gonna go like hot cakes even more than it already has .

Rich

Interesting ...
I have a bunch of HDCD discs - and they play in regular CD players, and play with extra info in the HK HDCD players (apparently unlike SACD, which only played in SACD players).
If memory serves, most of the Fripp/King Crimson remasters are HDCD, for instance.