PDA

View Full Version : 2Spike or not 2Spike ??

SEAWOLF97
01-06-2008, 01:08 AM
in the past its been desireable to spike your speaker stands to the floor if you have thick carpet. Is this still the current theory ??

johnaec
01-06-2008, 08:33 AM
In my opinion, the value of spikes would depend on the weight of the speaker and the "sponginess" of the carpet. If you have a flat, solid carpet and heavy speakers, I don't think spikes would be worth it. But if you have a thick, spongy carpet and light speakers, I can see how spikes would transfer weight through the carpet to the floor, making them more rigid.

John

Maron Horonzakz
01-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Or just place a couple of concrete blocks on top of the cabinet for mass coupleing.;)

Rolf
01-07-2008, 01:33 AM
Hi. If the speakers are small, put them on stands that have spikes. If they are large and heavy (like mine), put them on steel wheels.

Just my thoughts.

Krunchy
01-07-2008, 07:44 AM
In my opinion, the value of spikes would depend on the weight of the speaker and the "sponginess" of the carpet. If you have a flat, solid carpet and heavy speakers, I don't think spikes would be worth it. But if you have a thick, spongy carpet and light speakers, I can see how spikes would transfer weight through the carpet to the floor, making them more rigid.

John
What if you have heavy speakers and thick plush carpet? just curiuos ;)

Rolf
01-07-2008, 09:00 AM
What if you have heavy speakers and thick spongy carpet? just curiuos ;)

Read my post above?

Krunchy
01-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Yes I saw that Rolf, wheels will definitely sink into my carpet but I guess they would roll easier than spikes :D

SEAWOLF97
01-07-2008, 10:37 AM
well,,,,my speakers are 65/70 pounds each , carpet is rather plush , wheels have low WAF and I dont ever move them. So ....does coupling them to the floor via spikes affect the sound ??

spwal
01-07-2008, 11:21 AM
im gonna go with those big spikes they sell on ebay -- the 2" brass ones.

search for "isocones" or "speaker spikes" its a seller who sells alot of these things.

those should dig through the carpet pretty well. I hate spending on audio jewlery, but i really think i need it. my big speakers wobble because of uneven floor plus uneven carpet.

SEAWOLF97
01-07-2008, 09:37 PM
well,,,,I was bored today , already had the spikes....SO , I did it !!!! Flopped them on their sides, drilled the holes, added the spikes and releveled them....

OMG !!! What an epiphany !!!! It was like a canvas tent had been removed !!! They now go from 2hz to 200kHz !!!!! Like buying new speakers !!!!! (oops, wrong forum :o: )

Actually the main diff I experienced was that bass was transmitted thru the floor a little better ( and now they wont blow away in the wind ),
heck, it was worth a try. If you already have the spikes...then go for it. Otherwise, save your money.

SEAWOLF97
01-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Have been listening to the spiked Walsh's for 2 days now. Impressions ?? It seems the bass is a little more "SOLID". They are now "as one" with the house. I think it was worth the effort.

Off to spike the sub today.......

(with no change in settings , and on the same source material , ......the front picture window is rattling and the OL's nicknack's on the mantle are too...:o: )

hjames
01-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Have been listening to the spiked Walsh's for 2 days now. Impressions ?? It seems the bass is a little more "SOLID". They are now "as one" with the house. I think it was worth the effort.

Off to spike the sub today.......

(with no change in settings , and on the same source material , ......the front picture window is rattling and the OL's nicknack's on the mantle are too...:o: )

:useless:

Well, at LEAST show us the spikes!!

well,,,,I was bored today , already had the spikes....SO , I did it !!!! Flopped them on their sides, drilled the holes, added the spikes and releveled them....

Actually the main diff I experienced was that bass was transmitted thru the floor a little better ( and now they wont blow away in the wind ),
heck, it was worth a try. If you already have the spikes...then go for it. Otherwise, save your money.

SEAWOLF97
01-09-2008, 01:27 PM
:useless:

Well, at LEAST show us the spikes!!

OK, OK

the black ones went under the Walsh's , cant even see them now, the brass ones are going under the sub today.

SEAWOLF97
01-10-2008, 07:29 PM
I would not have believed it , and wud have bet money against, BUT after 4 days of critical listening it seems I'm now getting more bass than I thot the speakers were capable of. :D .....it now seems spiking to be a worthy and inexpensive upgrade.