PDA

View Full Version : What's everyone using for their "garage" system??? Let's see some photos!

Tweak48
12-31-2007, 11:12 AM
I'm doing a little New Years Eve workbench clean-up, and I'm really enjoying the music on 100.3 The Island's Rock · Victoria, BC. Listening to my little system reminds me that you don't have to spend a lot of cash for an enjoyable system. I think I'm into this one about $200 bucks:

A garage sale Pioneer SX-727 for $25. (Army PX unit with adjustable voltage).
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/tweak48/DSC_0129.jpg
A JBL 208 reconed ($100) and dropped into a EPI box: Those little mylar tweeters are probably not a good efficiency match, but they can't hurt, either.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/tweak48/DSC_0127.jpg
An Altec 755 all original and dropped into an EPI box (about $75):

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/tweak48/DSC_0128.jpg

Steve Schell
12-31-2007, 11:55 AM
My current garage system consists of freshly reconed RCA field coil theatre woofers in Karlson enclosures, RCA MI-9584A compression drivers on MI-9594 60 degree radial horns and Emilar ring radiator tweeters. Still a few lumps and bumps to work out, but very lively and engaging sound nonetheless. A friend commented "The Wilsons aren't a patch on these."

Tweak48
12-31-2007, 01:02 PM
My current garage system consists of freshly reconed RCA field coil theatre woofers in Karlson enclosures, RCA MI-9584A compression drivers on MI-9594 60 degree radial horns and Emilar ring radiator tweeters. Still a few lumps and bumps to work out, but very lively and engaging sound nonetheless. A friend commented "The Wilsons aren't a patch on these."

Very nice. I would classify that as a "large format" garage system:D

Are one of those boxes between the enclosures the power supply for the field coils?

My Dad used to have some field coil Iconics in his music room 25 years or so ago. Replaced them with some large Tannoys, and gave the Iconics to his gardener. I turned 'em down. Had no room for them at the time. :banghead:

mikebake
12-31-2007, 02:01 PM
This was my original garage rig; 2245's are now sadly gone. Using a 4648A for bass now.

Steve Schell
12-31-2007, 03:20 PM
Tweak48, the power supply sitting on its side near the right speaker is powering the field coils. The small blue box near the center is an electronic tuner used for piano tuning, hooked up to a wall wart for battery charging. That's quite a story about the field coil Iconics. Does your dad still use the same gardener?

opimax
12-31-2007, 06:37 PM
Well not having a garage makes this hard to answer :) I mounted 2 L20t3 downstairs in a room that was finished 30 years ago now has some rotting wall paneling exposed cinder block walls and unattached live rusting power receptacles. This as close to a garage as it gets for me :D. I run them off my main receiver's built in power for my fronts. I turn them off when not downstairs by turning the outputs to "front speakers off" which leaves the pre outs for biamping the 250s upstairs.

I use the same outputs to some l20ts or Pro III (weather dependent)for work in the driveway. I switch the banana plugs on the receiver and run wires out the window. Speakers are stored w/wires wrapped around speakers w/plugs attached

I have a small house i can really hear the main system anywhere inside with a slight adjustment to the volume control :) , I could probably hear hear it in the driveway but I worry about neighbors and attracting unwanted attention.

I forgot, the downstair room is used for ping pong.

Mark