PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Brands

DaCarlson
12-18-2007, 05:37 PM
If you didn't own JBL what brand would you use for you main system?

louped garouv
12-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Altec silly...
:D

from the reviews,
wish i could afford Cogent True to Life....

toddalin
12-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Westlake followed by Urei followed by Altec. :p

Jaxon
12-18-2007, 09:39 PM
If you didn't own JBL what brand would you use for you main system?

Wilsons or Mackie (near field monitors).

Mr. Widget
12-18-2007, 10:55 PM
If you didn't own JBL what brand would you use for you main system?JBLs in my main system? :rotfl:

For my living room, "main system", I am seriously considering a pair of Revel F32s or perhaps the Pioneer S-2EX. They are both small enough to get passed the wife and yet offer almost full sized performance.

If price were no object and WAF wasn't an issue, I would go for a pair of Andrew Jones' masterpieces, the TAD Reference 1. I would want to compare them at length with the Everest II though before making that commitment, but then you did imply a brand other than JBL. :D

Widget

Ducatista47
12-18-2007, 11:22 PM
Hammer Super 12's. I have heard single driver and I have seen the light. ;) And I can afford them!

If price were no object, I too would love to give Cogents a try.

Clark

speakerdave
12-18-2007, 11:55 PM
I assume price is indeed an object, but that SOME money will be spent, and that not owning JBL's stems from gentility and not lack of discernment, and that the listening room is of reasonable size, so I would have to consider one of the smaller (10" or 12") paper-coned Tannoy dual concentrics supported below with a subwoofer. If you could get ahold of a pair of the Manley/Mastering Lab ML 10's and get them well-matched with a subwoofer, you could stop thinking about speakers and start listening to music again.

David

edgewound
12-19-2007, 11:58 AM
I'd have to agree with Mr. Widget on the TAD's and little brother Pioneers.

Another serious contender with all American technology would have to be Thiel and custom built system with Radian coax's.

SEAWOLF97
12-19-2007, 12:10 PM
For my living room, "main system", I am seriously considering a pair of Revel F32s or perhaps the Pioneer S-2EX. Widget

100kHz :bouncy:

Specifications for the Pioneer S 2 EX Speakers
Drive units1x 18cm Aramid Cone Type Woofer
1x 14cm Concentric unit Magnesium Cone Type and
1x 3.5cm Beryllium Dome Tweeter
Power Handling200W
Sensitivity85.5dB
Impedance6Ω
Frequency Range34 - 100000Hz

ratitifb
12-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Genelec ?

mikebake
12-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Pioneer HPM-100's.

Just kidding.

DaCarlson
12-19-2007, 04:16 PM
I'd go with KEF. I wish i could remember the model numbers of them, my dad had an all KEF system which sounded incredible.

edgewound
12-19-2007, 04:24 PM
I'd go with KEF. I wish i could remember the model numbers of them, my dad had an all KEF system which sounded incredible.

Andrew Jones of TAD is formerly of KEF.

Here is a short interview with Mr. Jones:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue30/andrew_jones.htm

pelly3s
12-19-2007, 05:30 PM
I would have to say Tannoy Dimension TD-12's or if money was totally no issue then anything out of the Tannoy Prestige models. There is something about the Tannoy sound I cant get over.

timc
12-20-2007, 02:07 AM
I havent heard them yet, but the new Klipsch Paladium would be a strong contender. So would many of the TAD monitors.

Quad ESL-2905 is also an awesome speaker, and not THAT pricy.

Of course Tannoy prestige models is also high on the list. I think the Canterburry 15 would suit my needs.

-Tim

Tom Brennan
12-20-2007, 02:09 AM
I sold all my JBL stuff and use Altec.

hjames
12-20-2007, 03:24 AM
My brother-in-law sold his big Cerwin Vegas and got a Bose Wave radio.

He likes it a lot ...

JBL 4645
12-20-2007, 03:32 AM
My brother-in-law sold his big Cerwin Vegas and got a Bose Wave radio.

He likes it a lot ...

Heather, that is wicked I mean come on, you are kidding with that Bose, right?:D

JBL control series control 5 and control 1 have been good to me over the year’s, especially the JBL control 5 which I have bee using for 17 year’s, there very affordable when looking under Google Product in you’re region of the world. And at least you’ll be a proud owner of some JBL products, there's no need to break the bank, but there are some JBL that I wouldn’t mind owning some day that cost a few hundred pounds.

hjames
12-20-2007, 05:22 AM
JBL control 5 and control 1 pounds.

Please stay on topic.
the thread is about NON-JBL, Non-Lansing brands

Hoerninger
12-20-2007, 07:19 AM
In this forum 18Sound speakers had been mentioned some time ago,
for example:

Midrange driver 6 ND 410 (6")
Neodymium magnet
fs = 120 Hz
Sd = 143 cm2
SPL = 97,9 dB/ W/ m
QTS = 0,24
Xlin = +/- 2 mm
Xmax = +/- 4 mm
voice coil diameter 45 mm
125,00 EUR
http://www.lautsprechershop.de/pdf/18s/chassis/6nd410.pdf
(my comment:
smooth frequency response, nice speaker for a tractrix horn)

bass driver 15 MB 650 (15")
ferrit magnet
fs = 40 Hz
Sd = 850 cm2
SPL = 98,9 dB /W /m
QTS = 0,26
Mms = 70 g
Xlin = +/- 4 mm
Xmax = +/- 10 mm
voice coil diameter 75 mm
199,00 EUR
http://www.lautsprechershop.de/pdf/18s/chassis/15mb650.pdf
(my comment:
awesome in a bass horn, high upper frequency limit due to the low mass in case the folding will support this)
http://www.lautsprechershop.de/pa/images/6nd410.jpghttp://www.lautsprechershop.de/pa/images/15mb650.jpg
Compare in detail, you get what you pay for.

Tim Rinkerman
12-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Meyer HD-1's Mighty impressive speaker....(and amp).

JSF13
12-21-2007, 02:43 PM
Tannoy 15" Concentrics

doodlebug
12-21-2007, 03:07 PM
There are times when I can't use horn-loaded speakers like JBLs or Altecs. Quad ESLs of most any vintage are nice substitutes - for a while.

Cheers,

David

Maron Horonzakz
12-22-2007, 07:41 AM
Without a dought ,,TANNOY WESTMINSTER.

Lakanta
12-23-2007, 05:55 AM
How about Cello Amati or that famous HQD (Hartley-Quad-Decca). Don't forget the Klipschorn. There is a reason why they are still in production. And of course early Arnold Nudell Projects from Infinity or Genesis.

Mr. Widget
12-23-2007, 09:23 AM
How about Cello Amati...If Zilch ever saw them he'd drop to the floor quivering. He get's freaked out about the comb filtering of a pair of L100s... just think what a pair of LSTs are doing.:D

And of course early Arnold Nudell Projects from Infinity or Genesis.Those examples in your photo above... are they currently in your collection or was that some time ago?

I find the line array a bit perplexing. I want to like them, but I have never heard a pair that I did. I have heard the original IRS system, very large Genesis systems and quite a few lesser examples and never heard one that worked in the room I was in.

Widget

Lakanta
12-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Those examples in your photo above... are they currently in your collection or was that some time ago?

I find the line array a bit perplexing. I want to like them, but I have never heard a pair that I did. I have heard the original IRS system, very large Genesis systems and quite a few lesser examples and never heard one that worked in the room I was in.

Widget

The outer ones on the photo are Infinity QLS-1 and I got they two weeks ago.
I'm still quivering down on the floor. I chase these for 20 years and found they in a cellar of a restaurant near by Stuttgart.
A good Line array (very rare!) in a proper setup and enviroment have a realistic soundstage that will blow your socks off. I hear once the Genesis 1 in a poorly setup in Frankfurt. Really a disapointment. Tons of Loudspeakers and nothing that touches your soul.
But then I remember a Infinity RS-1b, a Infinity Beta and of course a QLS-1 !
It's the magic moment that you don't matter about the equipment and only hear the music.

Mr. Widget
12-23-2007, 11:41 AM
The outer ones on the photo are Infinity QLS-1 and I got they two weeks ago.
I'm still quivering down on the floor. I chase these for 20 years...:bouncy:

That's great!

I have always figured there must be something to them (line arrays) as they do have an ardent following. Congratulations on your find.

Widget

Ian Mackenzie
12-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Widget,

Have you heard the newer Sonus Faber systems?

They may be loved or hated by some but they seem to get the best out of a room and the music.

The better brands seem to spend more effort on getting a system to work in a room rather than fighting it.

Mr. Widget
12-25-2007, 10:21 AM
Hi Ian,

:xmas:

My friend who bought a pair of Project Widgets last Spring had previously owned the Stradivarius Homage... he was never able to get them to work in his room. I never heard them while they were there though. He did have great success with a pair of Magico Minis and Taurus subs in there just prior to installing my speakers.

Another friend has a pair of them in an awkward room and while they sound acceptable, they are not spectacular sounding. (For ~$40K they need to be spectacular;))I am supposed to bring CLIO and help him play around with the room in an attempt to make them sound better.

I have heard several of the lesser Sonus Fabers over the years and have really liked many of them.

Widget

Ian Mackenzie
12-25-2007, 05:01 PM
Well even if they just sound okay they look magic.

Back on point here are very good reports on diyaudio about the Beyma stuff:

Beyma CP-755ND 1.4" throat neodymium magnet compression driver, very high quality. I was going to use this in what would have been my top-of-the-line system paired with the B&C 15" and a separate subwoofer, but have decided to stick with smaller format systems. This driver is my nomination for "poor man's TAD 4001". Lovely midrange, extended highs. Smoother than the BMS coaxial but not as extended on top.

Also the Usher PA-15 woofer, 15" with parameters suited for unusually large enclosures but in return you get genuine deep bass with high efficiency - sorta like the old Altecs.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113783

I would consider it a good idea to look at these components and prove the concept before deciding to re mortgage the home on the ultimate SOA drivers.

Tweak48
12-26-2007, 03:19 AM
I use Tannoy Ardens for my HT mains; JBL in my other systems. If there were no JBL, I would simply buy more Tannoy. or Altec. of Klipsch. or Radian.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/tweak48/DSC_0048.jpg