PDA

View Full Version : Is There A Good Book On Horn Loaded Speaker Design?

Davethreshold
11-11-2007, 07:25 PM
I'm looking for a book on horn theory. I have the cook books, and the Martin Collums 5TH edition, but they don't go in to it much, because they don't consider them to be a, "High Fidelity" medium. I just found a Heathkit SS-2 at an estate sale, (Jensen horn and Jensen alnico 8") and I was SHOCKED at how good it sounded. Not as good as my Infinity RS-5 vintage units, but a lot better than I though it would.

Anyway, if anybody has some suggestions about what I could find and read, I would really appreciate it. I've always worked with cones, ribbons, and domes, but not horns. I have now realized how LITTLE I now about the theory!:)

Many thanks.

Dave

Hoerninger
11-12-2007, 07:16 AM
I'm looking for a book on horn theory.

This book has still to be written :), so what to do:

Scientific horn theorie started with "Acoustical impedance, and the theorie of horns and of the Phonograph" by A.G.Webster, published 1919 in the "Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA", a very mathematical investigation.
The first book I get in mind is "Acoustics" by Leo L. Beranek, which I do not know, I'm no native speaker here.

You will find a lot in AES-Papers, in the internet or here in different forums. Perhaps you will look into the Technical Reference. Today there are ongoing investigations and there is more to come.

To give you a direction for asking you could specify your interests:
- Bass horns or medium/high frequencies horns
- descriptive or mathematical approach
- pure theorie or practical examples
- simulation
- system integration

Tom Brennan
11-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Read "Acoustical Engineering" by Olson, "Loudspeaker Handbook" by Eargle and "How to Build Speaker Enclosures" by Davis and Badmieoff.

Davethreshold
11-14-2007, 05:46 AM
This book has still to be written :), so what to do:

Scientific horn theorie started with "Acoustical impedance, and the theorie of horns and of the Phonograph" by A.G.Webster, published 1919 in the "Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA", a very mathematical investigation.
The first book I get in mind is "Acoustics" by Leo L. Beranek, which I do not know, I'm no native speaker here.

You will find a lot in AES-Papers, in the internet or here in different forums. Perhaps you will look into the Technical Reference. Today there are ongoing investigations and there is more to come.

To give you a direction for asking you could specify your interests:
- Bass horns or medium/high frequencies horns
- descriptive or mathematical approach
- pure theorie or practical examples
- simulation
- system integration
Thank you very much Peter. It's surprising that there doesn't seem to be a book that covers it all. After all I have the Sanders Book on electrostatics. I just notice your recent posts about horn design. I'll start there. It's funny, I met Dr. Geddes who is quoted in that paper, at a stereo club meeting a long time ago. He demonstrated his theory of acoustics, controlling modes in the listening room, and how his listening room was the most isolated that I have ever run across, meaning that when you stood outside of it, with the stereo at a fairly loud level, you couldn't hear much from the outside. He also demonstrated his "acoustic lever" which gives another 6 D.B. to a given woofer setup, while not increasing box size too much.

Anyway your questions: I would probably count out the bass horns because the have a tendency to be very large, and would go beyond my woodworking skills very fast. I would look in to medium-high frequency horns. To match the starting S.P.L. output, I would use an electronic crossover from the corner placed subs that I am using now. Those are 6.5 Cubic foot, (net) sono-subs. Each has 2 Peerless 260/SWR's (10") in push-pull parallel configuration. They are VERY efficient, though not up to large horn levels. I would be looking at all of the following: Descriptive and mathematical approach, - theory and practical examples, - simulation and system integration. I'll start with what you posted, and also your other recommendations.:)

Read "Acoustical Engineering" by Olson, "Loudspeaker Handbook" by Eargle and "How to Build Speaker Enclosures" by Davis and Badmieoff.Great Tom. Thank you. I have a couple A.E.S. books that I'll have to dig up. I'll see if the horn theory is discussed in them. I remember seeing the book, "How To Build Speaker Enclosures" back in the day. Another idea that I just thought of is older books on Ebay and Amazon. I'll give that a try also.:)

Hoerninger
11-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Here is a good link, there is no time for me right now to write down some thoughts.
http://www.melhuish.org/audio/horninfo.html