PDA

View Full Version : Is symmetry mandatory in speakers?

beppe61
09-22-2007, 04:47 AM
Sometimes I see that in speakers with an asymmetric drivers placement the L speaker is the mirror image of the R speaker.
This is found also in some circuits of pres and amps.
I mean if a speaker has the tweeter moved to the center also the other one has a similar TW arrangement.
My opinion instead is that the two L and R speakers should have a completely identical drivers arrangement even if this results in some asymmetry.
It is also a cheaper solution because L and R are obviously completely interchangable.

Kind regards,

beppe

timc
09-22-2007, 05:40 AM
I may be on thin ice here, but don't you get less difraction with an asymetrical placement?

Tim

beppe61
09-23-2007, 01:52 AM
[quote=timc;186314]I may be on thin ice here, but don't you get less difraction with an asymetrical placement? Tim

Thank you Mr Tim for your kind reply.
I am not an expert on difraction.
My doubt is more basic.
On principle I believe that L and R channel should be completely identical from the beginning to the end of the audio chain.
Therefore also the speakers should be identical.
No L or R speaker even if the drivers have an asymmetrical arrangement.
Instead I see a lot of speakers with an asymmetrical arrangement of the drivers in which the L speaker is the mirror image of the R.
Symmetry is certainly beautiful to the eye, but also to the ear ?

Kind regards,

beppe

P.S. an example are the JBL S2600 depicted here:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8113&page=5 (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8113&page=5)
For instance two identical L speakers for the L and R channels should sound worst than a L and a R speakers?

timc
09-23-2007, 02:11 AM
Hi.

In this case using 2 L speakers would be way off. Because the asymetrical coverage of the horn.

So what you are saying is that a design like the Evereste DD55000 is bad ? (just an example)

-Tim

Edit: I think that the best solution depends on the eniviroment the speaker is set up in.

beppe61
09-23-2007, 02:24 AM
[quote=timc;186444]
Hi. In this case using 2 L speakers would be way off.
Because the asymetrical coverage of the horn.
So what you are saying is that a design like the Evereste DD55000 is bad ? (just an example)
-Tim
Edit: I think that the best solution depends on the eniviroment the speaker is set up in.

Maybe I understand: if the coverage of the drivers is asymetrical then the speakers should come in mirror arrangement.
If the coverage is symmetrical is indifferent.
It is just impossible saying that speakers like these
http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1985-everest/page05.jpg (http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1985-everest/page05.jpg) are bad.

Thanks again and kind regards,
beppe

Hoerninger
09-23-2007, 11:51 AM
Is symmetry mandatory ...

... also in some circuits of pres and amps. (?)

Symmetry in circuit design reduces distortion.
Sometimes it supports stability, this is easier achieved in conjunction with an integrated circuit (IC).

toddalin
09-23-2007, 02:43 PM
I think that while in-line or symmetrical driver arrangement is preferrable, it is by far more important to have room symmetry, and purchased my house accordingly.

(Priority fell in this order: 5+ car garage, large symmetrical stereo room, large master bedroom to accomodate our oversized furniture, large open kitchen. Stereo room could not adjoin the kitchen! Used to drive the real estate agents nuts!)

My 7 speakers are all within 1/2" of perfect symmetry to the center of the couch as well as the room walls. It's just that a couple of the walls happen to be partially open to other areas of the house or include covered windows. So even finding a "perfect " room is a challange.

But it doesn't end there! The couch has to be symmetrical to itself and the room as well as the placement of the furniture such as the overstuffed chairs, identical ones that flank each speaker.

Even the art work on the walls is used to balance the room. A window on one wall is complemented by a large picture on the opposite wall. The glass doors on the equipment shelves are mirrored by pictures on the opposing wall.
http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/room2.jpg

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/room1.jpg

Titanium Dome
09-23-2007, 02:59 PM
I support Todd's assertion that having the right room symmetry is more important than whether or not the speakers have it. It's self-defeating to knock yourself out over perfecting driver alignment and arrangement if you end up putting them in a room that's not right, or if you have to compromise their placement due to the desires of other people.

Titanium Dome
09-23-2007, 03:10 PM
(Priority fell in this order: 5+ car garage, large symetrical stereo room, large master badroom to accomodate our oversized furniature, large open kitchen. Stereo room could not adjoin the kitchen! Used to drive the real estate agents nuts!)

This is funny, and mirrors my recent experience. We had specific priorities and broke our agents' hearts several times when beautiful properties fell short on even one criterion. We held out for a large room totally separated from the rest of the house and with no windows, but with a separate outside entrance. (No LH members tramping through the main part of the house says Huikyong. No shoes in the house either.)

Didn't need the 5+ car garage. :p

MJC
09-23-2007, 05:29 PM
I support Todd's assertion that having the right room symmetry is more important than whether or not the speakers have it. It's self-defeating to knock yourself out over perfecting driver alignment and arrangement if you end up putting them in a room that's not right, or if you have to compromise their placement due to the desires of other people.
Over the last 5 years I've seen way too many rooms that were being used for sound, either stereo or HT that were a complete waste of space.
When I designed and built my HT/LR symmetry was the main consideration, along with it being wide enough to setup the front speakers so they were around 5' from the side walls. Everything is setup symmetrical to everything else.
The two doors going to the outside are opposite each other @ the back ends of the side walls. The 8'-8" x 7'-0" elliptical archway to the dinning room is dead center of the rear wall, which is a pocket wall, housing insulated wood sliding doors.
Only the side walls are different. The one that is the front of the house has two windows, side-by-side. and the other side wall has a free standing gas fireplace stove.
This room is so close to perfect that where the main L/R speakers are also happen to be the best locations for the two subs. Thus having the PT800s mounted to the SUB1500s.

beppe61
09-29-2007, 09:05 AM
Dear Sirs,

thank you very much to all of you.
I understand that a symmetric listening room should be the goal.
Actually this is very difficult to get.

Thanks and kind regards,

beppe