PDA

View Full Version : Misc IFA '07 pickings - Khorn 60th Anniversary Ed.

Fangio
09-08-2007, 04:36 AM
"Lansing Related Gear - Discussions on ... competing speakers etc."

Spotted these at the IFA 2007 too, no doubt they are beauties also. Not connected unfortunately but I know there are some old hands at Klipsch around here so why not:

Anyone has, or has heard these and can tell what I've missed?

Maron Horonzakz
09-08-2007, 07:20 AM
Thats the 60th Anniversary edition of the Klipschorn..... Not the Jubilee:D

Fangio
09-08-2007, 07:29 AM
OK Maron, guilty of sloppy ID'ing again, sigh :rolleyes: but how do they sound? Of course YOU have heard them. :D

Maron Horonzakz
09-08-2007, 07:46 AM
With the closed backs,,,You can pull them away from the corner. but like the JBL Everest II placement can now be pulled away from corner for propper stereo imaging...BUT the Khorns cant hold a candle to the JBL Everest II sound. I have a pair of Khorns,,,The first thing you do with a Klipsch is throw away the mid and tweeter... Bass bin is OK but is now bettered by the new Klipsch Jubilee.....But its still a wonder that the old Khorn is still in production after 60 years....;)

Titanium Dome
09-08-2007, 08:35 AM
But that picture of Paul Klipsch on the commemorative frame doesn't do him any favors.

Jim Lansing was much better looking.

Maron Horonzakz
09-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Ive never seen Jim Lansings picture on any speaker system from JBL.:D

Titanium Dome
09-08-2007, 05:39 PM
I couldn't find a single picture of Paul Klipsch smiling. Here he is, followed by Jim Lansing.

Titanium Dome
09-08-2007, 05:46 PM
The Klipsch picture is from

http://www.klipschcorner.com/Articles.aspx?guid=e77b4037-a086-4ddf-9528-8177d7bc3d26

The Lansing picture is from

http://www.ronaldstroehlein.de/

I think JBL was wise to use a nice signature on its commemorative products.

Maron Horonzakz
09-09-2007, 05:24 AM
Ive never seen a signature smile....Accept on a paycheck:D

Titanium Dome
09-09-2007, 08:57 AM
Ive never seen a signature smile....Accept on a paycheck:D

:p

Back on topic, those are very nice looking 60th Anniversary Khorns, but they also illustrate the differences between Klipsch and JBL over 60 years. As you've noted, the Everest II DD66000 is a whole different, better thing. It's like Klipsch is looking back toward its greatness and JBL is looking forward.

Maron Horonzakz
09-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Yeh , Kinda,,, But ive been told that the Klipschorn would stay in the company stable even if only a pair of Khorns are made in a year... I believe one year none were made..I forget what year that was....But The Klipsch company is looking forward...The Jubilee was developed and for awhile moved into the Pro cinema division now some are being made for the home market on a limited bases....The new Palladium is now in the wings ($15,000) i dont know too much about that one but it looks impressive.

Titanium Dome
09-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Yeh , Kinda,,, But ive been told that the Klipschorn would stay in the company stable even if only a pair of Khorns are made in a year... I believe one year none were made..I forget what year that was....But The Klipsch company is looking forward...The Jubilee was developed and for awhile moved into the Pro cinema division now some are being made for the home market on a limited bases....The new Palladium is now in the wings ($15,000) i dont know too much about that one but it looks impressive.

You're right. of course, but what I'm writing is that with both companies at 60 years, Klipsch chose to look at its long history and commemorate it with "Look at what we did," while JBL chose to commemorate it with "Look at what we can do."

JohnK
09-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Those are great looking speakers, US made too!

Personally I find remarks about the "looks" of Mr K very offensive. Klipsch was a great man in every way.

Titanium Dome
09-09-2007, 11:31 PM

Personally I find remarks about the "looks" of Mr K very offensive. Klipsch was a great man in every way.

Very offensive, huh? Well then I apologize to you, John, for this:

"...picture of Paul Klipsch on the commemorative frame doesn't do him any favors."

and this:

"I couldn't find a single picture of Paul Klipsch smiling."

as I assume these are the offensive remarks. He was indeed a man of notable accomplishments, very broad life experience, and great social responsibility. He was also known for (and reveled in) his whimsical and eccentric persona, such as wearing four watches at a time, wearing little buttons with "Bullshit" written on them in old style script, and injecting oxymorons into conversations and writing for effect. He had a great sense of humor, and never took himself too seriously, despite monumental achievements in his life. I think he was smiling inside every picture that he took.

richluvsound
09-10-2007, 12:57 AM
But that picture of Paul Klipsch on the commemorative frame doesn't do him any favors.

Jim Lansing was much better looking.

Ti ,

JBL is the best looking speaker the world !!!!;) Seriously, the build quality of the three pairs of Klipsch I have owned have been second rate. Everything about the build is cheap ie , pressed baskets.etc etc. Everything seems thin, like the sound!!!!

Rich

Maron Horonzakz
09-10-2007, 06:29 AM
I do admit the drivers a the Khorn are cheap..But that stamped K33 woofer is no slouch...Ive only found one JBL woofer that can match it....But the top end of the Khorn is lacking...Thats why I use the Smith wood horn with 376 and 2404 tweet. All tri amped. The over all balance is great with thunderist bass and slam, top end is clean and will wipe the green off your teeth:D

Fangio
09-10-2007, 12:40 PM
..that stamped K33 woofer is no slouch...Ive only found one JBL woofer that can match it..
And will you share that secret? I'm all ears. :)

timc
09-10-2007, 01:33 PM
1501AL ??

rs237
09-10-2007, 01:40 PM
1501AL ??

mmmh , it should be a horn Woofer.

regards
juergen

grumpy
09-10-2007, 02:52 PM
old 2205.

Thom
09-10-2007, 04:44 PM

I wonder if he ever found his great 5 watt amplifier?

Maron Horonzakz
09-11-2007, 06:16 AM
Grumpy...You win a cookie... Its the early version of the JBL 2205

grumpy
09-11-2007, 07:32 AM
yum :D