PDA

View Full Version : difference between a woofer and a subwoofer?

louped garouv
08-30-2007, 01:27 PM
anyone somewhat verbose have a definitive answer?

i keep telling this guy i know to not refer to the 8 inch woofer in the modern "mini-monitors" as subs....

he says there is no difference between the two...

edgewound
08-30-2007, 01:40 PM

i keep telling this guy i know to not refer to the 8 inch woofer in the modern "mini-monitors" as subs....

There are many variations of both...but I'd say a subwoofer is dedicated to reproducing only the freqencies below 150-200hz, and is not capable of doing work above that threshold with any degree of accuracy.

For instance. the 2235H can, and is, used as a subwoofer...but it's also used as a woofer in two, three and four way full range systems..upt to 1khz in a system such as the 4430.

Too many uninformed, ignorant or just plain stupid people insist that the woofer be called a subwoofer? Why? Because they're just plain stupid and refuse to listen:p:D

boputnam
08-30-2007, 01:57 PM
...i keep telling this guy i know to not refer to the 8 inch woofer in the modern "mini-monitors" as subs....Er, actually, as edge points out, it is a function of the band pass it operates in.

If it only supports LF, below, say, 100Hz, it is operating as a sub-woofer. The diameter of the woofer has little bearing on it being a "sub-woofer"...

Ian Mackenzie
08-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Too many uninformed, ignorant or just plain stupid people insist that the woofer be called a subwoofer? Why? Because they're just plain stupid and refuse to listen:p:D.

Oh come on, a little dawgy is never going woof as low and as loud big dawgy. Are you saying they are deaf as well a dumb?....LOL

louped garouv
08-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Er, actually, as edge points out, it is a function of the band pass it operates in.

If it only supports LF, below, say, 100Hz, it is operating as a sub-woofer. The diameter of the woofer has little bearing on it being a "sub-woofer"...

but they are two way units....

i would think, offhand, the 8" cone was doing more than just below 200Hz...

i do hear what ya'll are saying tho'

:)

boputnam
08-30-2007, 02:20 PM
but they are two way units....Oh... :uhmmmm:

Robh3606
08-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Hello louped garouv

Well it seems with the advent of 5-6" woofers in many systems some guys see an 8 and it's a subwoofer by it's size alone. In a 2 way it's obviously a woofer. I doubt there is any or much extension into the first octave say 20-40 Hz as it's used. Figure HT subs cover the first 2 octaves so if you look at it as bass below 80Hz well then???? Me I agree with you.

Rob:)

Titanium Dome
08-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Well, another important point is that subwoofers (regardless of size) almost never share a cabinet with the other drivers in a sound reproduction system. In order to be properly tuned they need cabinets that are generally different in size, shape, volume, and construction from typical speaker cabinets.

Thus I can have a 2235 that's a wide-range woofer in a 4430 and a 2235 that's a narrow-range subwoofer in a B380.

It's really interesting that the LE14H-1 is a woofer (crossing over at 400Hz), and the 108H is a midbass driver in the 250Ti, while in the PT800/PS1400 stack, the LE14H-3 is a subwoofer (crossing over at 130Hz) and the 908Ti is a woofer. Of course, the LE14H-1 is in a separate enclosure, even when stacked.

boputnam
08-30-2007, 04:50 PM
btw, Rob - nice avatar!

Tell us how the newbies sound!!??

Robh3606
08-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Thanks Bo

I have an MTM thread going I don't want to hijack this one. They are OK

Rob:)

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=17450

virmagicus
09-04-2007, 07:27 PM

The sub in subwoofer stands for "sub frequency" . Without the sub it is a woofer.

LowPhreak
09-15-2007, 10:21 PM
"difference between a woofer and a subwoofer?"

About 20Hz more at the low end. ;)