PDA

View Full Version : Former soundman's system

Max SPL
08-27-2007, 09:18 PM
I was a live sound engineer for about 20 years, and my choice of equipment kind of reflects this.

My speakers are JBL 4311A (bottom) and 4311B (top)
TV is Sony Wega 32"

For electronics, I'm using:
Soundcraft Spirit M8 (preamp)
dbx 231 dual 1/3 octave EQ
Sony DVD/CD player (temporary until I get a Tascam with balanced outputs)
Aphex 204 psychoacoustics processor (great for broadcast & old recordings)
Lexicon MPX 110 digital effects (adding "life" to TV sound)
Crown CE 1000 power amp (450 w/ch @ 4 ohms)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Pixilater/avsystem/002.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Pixilater/avsystem/001.jpg

johnaec
08-27-2007, 10:26 PM
I'll bet it sounds pretty good if it's EQ'd right. (I notice someone along the line had "curious fingers" testing the domes... :p )

John

pelly3s
08-28-2007, 05:11 PM
you should get those domes fixed they will look a lot better. nice setup

JBLRaiser
08-28-2007, 06:24 PM
you should get those domes fixed they will look a lot better. nice setup

Mr. Oreck could fix those domes. Easy now.:D

boputnam
08-28-2007, 06:26 PM
Wow - pretty cool...

I see some extra rack space - either sell it to me :rotfl: - or consider upping that EQ in quality. The 231 is OK, but better would be noticeable (and most GEQ's are 3RU).

Curious why you avoided the stereo strips, using two mono strips for inputs, instead? :hmm:

I like Soundcraft a great deal.

Max SPL
08-29-2007, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the replies !

jonaec - I got the JBLs used on eBay, and the dented domes seem to be a common denominator. I don't know who is responsible, so I have no one to chastize.

pelly3s - Yes, they would look better if I "undented" them. It doesn't affect the sound quality, though. I used a 15" JBL in a PA that had a ripped aluminum dome for about 6 months before it began to rasp. Those were driven a LOT harder than these will ever be. I live in an apartment, so I can't peel the paint off the back wall.

boputnam - I got the EQ for only $200 new. I was using a pair of JBL CF 120s and J620Ms (I'm using the 620s as stands for these :) ), and the 120s needed a lot of correction in the mids. I barely use the 231 for the 4311s (+/- 1 to 2 dB). I will be replacing it with a parametric when I can afford to do so.
These are a few reasons why I use the mono mic channels rather than the stereo inputs. I took the hi impedance, unbalanced output of my TV and ran it into two direct boxes (the whole system, sans CD, is low impedance and balanced). Each mono mic channel has a balanced Direct Out, and I use this to feed the Aphex and EQ. The stereo channels don't have a direct out (I'd have to loop the Aphex & EQ from Aux 1&2), and the EQ is only two band (60 Hz & 12kHz). The mic channels have a sweep mid (250 Hz - 6 kHz), which is helpful for TV sound and reverb return. There are 1/4" TRS inserts on the Main Mix, but these are unbalanced. I find that hi impedance unbalanced systems are too harsh for my ears. A low impedance balanced system sounds fatter and smoother to me. I made my own cables, which explains the different connectors.:blink: I used Belden 12 gauge 2 conductor shielded cable.

Thanks again !

KentGriffith
08-29-2007, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the replies !

jonaec - I got the JBLs used on eBay, and the dented domes seem to be a common denominator. I don't know who is responsible, so I have no one to chastize.

pelly3s - Yes, they would look better if I "undented" them. It doesn't affect the sound quality, though.

Have you tried to 'undent' them?

I use two techniques which work fairly well. On the cloth dust covers you can use a sharp needle or needles to carefully catch some of the material and lift them back to normal.

On the aluminum covers and even some dome tweeters, I use double side carpet tape because it sticks well, but if done carefully, you can stick some tape to the damaged area and sort of snatch it out dragging the offending dent with the tape to its normal position. ***Be very careful doing this! Make sure to only stick enough tape to the damaged spot to do the job and not rip the dust covers or tweeter domes causing further damage.

I know it does not affect the sound much, but the sight of damage like that bugs some of us more than others...

KG

pos
08-29-2007, 08:33 AM
There is also the vacuum cleaner option that could work well with a woofer dome if it is fully adjustable in power.