PDA

View Full Version : What is an Audiophile?

JBLRaiser
08-27-2007, 06:04 PM
Are there any audiophiles here? At what point do you become an audiophile? What are the components that make you an audiophile? What JBL products are considered audiophile?

Audiobeer
08-27-2007, 06:58 PM
An Audiophile is where I keep al my reciepts are warranties in a manilla folder I put in my phile cabinet. :o:

Robh3606
08-27-2007, 07:21 PM
It's someone who enjoys this hobby. That's the way I look at it. As I see it any long term member here is one. What the internet and some of the snobazines have done to the meaning really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things. Like any hobby there are extremes but it doesn't change the core fact that we all enjoy this stuff.

Rob:)

JBLRaiser
08-27-2007, 07:38 PM
An Audiophile is where I keep al my reciepts are warranties in a manilla folder I put in my phile cabinet. :o:

alltheolefiles:rotfl:

just4kinks
08-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought that "audiophile" has some negative implications because it's linked to subjectivism. I can't explain it nearly as well as Douglas Self:
http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/ampins/pseudo/subjectv.htm

There might be people here who disagree, but here's an example: Anyone who spends $1000+ on a single cable is a gullible sucker. Even the company that makes the cable knows it's just a regular cable... but you can't blame them for capitalizing on suckers with good marketing.

Ducatista47
08-27-2007, 09:04 PM
Subjectivism is an interesting subject in itself, but stereo reproduction has some relatively recent history that polarized our hobby a bit and needs to be known to add some perspective.

Julian Hirsch lorded over the most popular audio magazine's equipment review department for many years. He was thoroughly convinced that if two amps, for instance, measured the same, they sounded the same. In other words, a meter man's meter man. Anyone who can actually hear pretty well and actually listens will immediately notice differences in presentation between an SET amp and a transistor amp, no matter how similar the specs, so what gives? While the high end accessory business does indeed hide behind the theory that some elements of sound reproduction can not be currently measured, it is not just a theory. The current state of audio analysis is no more complete and perfect than any other scientific or engineering endeavor.

Mr. Hirsch certainly was in no hurry to leave his dials and listen to the music, and it made no more sense than trying to describe how the sky looks by measuring it's average brightness with a light meter. A lightly overcast day could measure identically to a beautiful day mixing blue sky and cumulus clouds. And now it seems that meter men and listeners will not be on friendly terms any time soon.

As to a possible motive for sane people spending way too much on simple components, see this old post of mine: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=137628&postcount=2

So what is an audiophile? I quote my old signature: Whereas a good audiophile endeavors to reproduce the performance, the poor audiophile listens to his equipment instead of the source material (THE MUSIC :D).

Clark in Peoria

Allanvh5150
08-27-2007, 10:19 PM
My idea of an audiophile is someone that has a pair of 6" speakers mounted on 6' horns connected to their 3 watt amplifier with $2000 per yard, pure silver speaker cable. And dont forget the $300 wooden block on the power cable. It makes the sound better you know.:)

Rolf
08-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Why turn this into a "hate thread"?

JBLRaiser
08-28-2007, 04:41 AM
What JBL speakers are considered audiophile? Or closest to it.

hjames
08-28-2007, 04:54 AM

C'mon - thats a personal thing - some folks like horns, some HATE horns and say the only way to go is Ti drivers, some have a Tad different perspective, and some just love their pairo'gons
:D

I've opened my cabinets, built crossovers, added extra drivers to my L200s - even soldered banana-jacks onto my stranded copper speakerleads. With help from Bo, Giskard, Ian, Zilch and a bunch of other folks I've read here, my sound is much better than it was 2 years ago - I enjoy the music a heck of a lot more, and I'll proudly take the tag "audiophile". And yeah, back in the day I used to buff all my vinyl with "Soundguard" and had a "zerostat" - but those were cheap compared with some of the more esoteric kind of gear.

Although my big speakers are now biAmped, there are no silver interconnects here ...
No anger and no hate about it, I just don't see the gain. The money I have spent has all made great, easily-audible improvements in the sound.

pelly3s
08-28-2007, 05:37 AM
I love this hobby and I cannot call myself an Audiophile because I dont believe that putting wood knobs on my amp and using special weights on equipment is going to help anything. I personally hate the term because it has moved to a point where everything that is good gear is dictated by magazines and websites not from personal experience. also in my eyes Audiophiles are afraid to experiment with changing drivers or making their own crossover, ect...

Robh3606
08-28-2007, 07:11 AM

Everest 2 and all the other statement speakers in their respective times. Mass produced would be the XPL series from the 90's.

Titanium Dome
08-28-2007, 07:38 AM
We need to separate the term and its meaning from the marketing of the term.

Audiophile is a compound word made from two common word roots (one Latin, one Greek) that occur in many words we use everyday.

Audire is an infinitive form of a verb meaning to hear.

Philia is a noun typifying love, affection, fondness, loyalty, and appreciation for another thing, that is, something other than one's self.

So literally, audiophile means "one who loves to hear sound." Of course, in practical usage, it means one who loves or deeply appreciates quality sound. In this sense most of us qualify as audiophiles.

Like many useful terms, audiophile has been somewhat usurped by manufacturers, marketers, and the press in order to sell something. It has been manipulated to take on the overtones of exclusive, special, expensive, and separate: Exclusive in the sense that not everyone can have it or even understand it; Special in that only gifted and perceptive people really perceive the subtle but important qualities; Expensive as in one must be willing to pay dearly to achieve the best; and Separate as a way of distinguishing those who are committed to ultimate quality reproduction compared to the great masses of those who settle for "good enough."

Personally, I find audiophile a perfectly serviceable word and have no intention of letting marketers, manufacturers, and journalists control my vocabulary. Audiophile describes a person and his or her emotional commitment to sound. It really has nothing to do with what equipment you own, how much you spend, what kind of music you listen to, how you connect your components, what media you use, etc. Each of these things will tell other audiophiles about your personal path, but that's all.

So I wouldn't knock someone who had a pair of Edirols and used standard RCA cables or someone who had Wilsons and used silver cables if I felt he or she was loving the sound. And for both, I bet there would be a moment when that love revealed something new that led to another acquisition, another set up, another...something, as the pursuit of better sound continued.

For the audiophile, it never ends. At least in my experience, as I find new ways everyday in which I love my sweet Huikyong and demonstrate it to her through positive action, on a much paler scale I find new ways to love audio and pursue it through positive action as well.

boputnam
08-28-2007, 07:42 AM
I agree with Allan, Heather and Pelly for the most part, and no tongue-in-cheek.

To me, "audiophile" conjurs the image of a high-end stereo buff - a person with very discerning taste, and who deploys costly gear and trunk-line sized cabling and all-too-often loves cabinets with multiple mid-bass drivers, no sub and limited cabinet volume.

Most commonly, to my chagrin, they will not ackowlege the importance of signal-path EQ to optimize for room response. A few have allowed me to insert an EQ and tune to the room - with vastly improved response - but they devoutly prefer the purist approach.

I admire them. It ain't me, and I am intrigued by their perception of quality sound. They get the mid-bass and HF fine, but most typically there is a great deal of LF missing in their approach.

hjames
08-28-2007, 08:21 AM
Most commonly, to my chagrin, they will not acknowledge the importance of signal-path EQ to optimize for room response. A few have allowed me to insert an EQ and tune to the room - with vastly improved response - but they devoutly prefer the purist approach.

I admire them. It ain't me, and I am intrigued by their perception of quality sound. They get the mid-bass and HF fine, but most typically there is a great deal of LF missing in their approach.

Not trying to be combative, but further enlightenment would be welcomed.
I had thought that unless you were above a certain price-point with EQ (an active component) you ran the risk of degrading the sound with noise while adjusting the spectrum to match the room response. What kind of EQ is suitable - Behringer? Rane? White? something else?

Can such adjustment/room calibration be done by the end user with a Radio Shark db meter and some test tones/test record? Or is this something that needs calibrated gear and an ear for hire every time there is a major change in the system?
Again, I am not trying to pick a fight - just trying to better understand.

SEAWOLF97
08-28-2007, 09:08 AM
Audiophile describes a person and his or her emotional commitment to sound. It really has nothing to do with what equipment you own, how much you spend, what kind of music you listen to, how you connect your components, what media you use, etc. Each of these things will tell other audiophiles about your personal path, but that's all.

Completely agree with TD's very well thought out response.

Audiophile has become a commercial term to describe someone who is advanced in their sound hobby/passion. I don't see it as derogatory. I would never use the term on myself, but some of my friends may use it to label me.

I have paged through Audiophile Magazine...it all seems to be salon or boutique equiptment for the bored wealthy. Never saw any JBL there.

In fact I consider JBL as an upper mid level product, one that was originally targeted to the doctor, lawyer , engineer or professional. The prices have always been a little high for us "working stiffs".. Now, later in life we can afford many of the things we once lusted after but could not aquire at that time, and classic JBL is one of those things.

Audiophile ?? a term that never enters my daily life and seems linked to the 1950's. IMHO.

boputnam
08-28-2007, 09:24 AM
I had thought that unless you were above a certain price-point with EQ (an active component) you ran the risk of degrading the sound with noise while adjusting the spectrum to match the room response. What kind of EQ is suitable - Behringer? Rane? White? something else?(Kinda OT, but always worth discussing...)

Good question. Of the three (edited for typo...), the White would be best. Rane are OK for starters, too. Nothing Behringer I have tried is acceptible for me. dbx has a good model in the 1231, and Ashly, further up the cost curve with their GQX3102. All EQ's introduce phase distortion by their filters - so, less is more. Top shelf are parametrics, particularly the Meyer CP-10 if you can find and afford such - they are phase coherant and wonderful.

Can such adjustment/room calibration be done by the end user with a Radio Shark db meter and some test tones/test record? Or is this something that needs calibrated gear and an ear for hire every time there is a major change in the system?A dB meter has no application, here - that is merely a reading of loudness, not a measurement of response.

While a nice calibration set-up, comparing the reference and measurement signals, is ideal, a simple RTA can provide a great deal of information. Using Pink Noise, you should see a flat response across the frequency spectrum. Where you see peaks/bumps, you should reduce (notch) that frequency in the signal path (insert the EQ between the pre-amp and amps) - these are areas that are being excited either in the room or the cabinet (or could be transducer anomalies, too...) and are being over represented; same (reverse) for valleys, although most users try and notch, only.

There are some reasonable handheld RTA's out there - I think Phonic makes a good one (PAA2). Once you begin tweaking/optimizing your system response, your ears will learn and be more critical of unintended resonances.

DavidF
08-28-2007, 10:39 AM
We make too much of the terminology in trying to pigeon hole what that term means. As simple as I can make it, the popular definition of an audiophile is one who recognizes the differences in performance of audio products that take them beyond appliance status. For example look at Stereophile’s grading system that they have used for many years. The better products are the ones that move beyond making a sound with little or no distortion into a true musical experience and then to how well that musical experience is portrayed.

JBL has made a name for itself in the professional sound. In the earlier days the difference between pro and domestic lines was not very delineated so for the most part home speakers = pro speakers. Professional products are the epitome of a purpose-built devices so how not to call them appliances despite all arguments to support the merits of their sound. Many audiophiles have never been able to get past that connotation about JBL despite a history of providing remarkable speaker systems totally outside any professional influence. Many of those products are highlighted in this website, right?

DavidF

hjames
08-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Okay - just to get some dollar figures recorded and put Bo's comments in perspective (I am not advocating any particular brands, just trying to get a feel for the figure$)

A few quick googles show the Phonic PAA2 runs around $250 or so. It looks like a neat little unit - its handheld and has a built in mike - looks kind of like a Blackberry or PDA ...

i did some other quick searches -
I found a Meyer CP-10 used, selling for about $1500 (!)
Sweetwater has the Ashley GQX3102 for about $950
Sweetwater has the dbx 1231 unit - for around $350

So a dbx 1231 and a Phonic unit would be around $600 (new)
I could see buying an EQ if its in that kind of range, but it would be harder to justify buying the PAA if I couldn't do a few "tweak for hire" jobs to help pay for it ...

Tim Rinkerman
08-28-2007, 11:07 AM
I think an audiophile develops from a person who has an interest in audio devices, and through time recognizes the difference between pieces that are more noise than signal,and a piece that has been engineered to have a very low noise floor, and realizes that the less noise you hear, the more musical differences become more apparent. In many cases, the hunt becomes more important than the find. Sonic clarity is not always cost related.
True audio signal paths are becoming more and more scarce. I have been building audio systems since 1974, we once strove to get the truest representation of the input signal we could. Now, the entire market is overwhelmed with digital control systems that turn audio into digital bits, just so the entire system can be "dumbed down", so as to be able to sell the convienence of one button control of everything. In the "old" days an audiophile could usually tell you why that cello sound like it is about 3' off center in the mix...nowadays an audiophile can tell you that the green light means it can get louder...

Titanium Dome
08-28-2007, 11:23 AM
In the "old" days an audiophile could usually tell you why that cello sound like it is about 3' off center in the mix...nowadays an audiophile can tell you that the green light means it can get louder...

Tim, I think you might've oversold the technological aspects, but your opinion is much appreciated. Going back to my technology-agnostic view of the audiophile, I think an audiophile (or an audiophile in the making) would know and care that it's a cello and where it's placed in the soundstage, and someone else would not.

JBL 4645
08-28-2007, 11:57 AM

I think my JBL control 5 and 1, are good enough for me to be audiophile, so there it is.:p:D

boputnam
08-28-2007, 12:22 PM
So a dbx 1231 and a Phonic unit would be around $600 (new).
I could see buying an EQ if its in that kind of range, but it would be harder to justify buying the PAA if I couldn't do a few "tweak for hire" jobs to help pay for it ...Yea, costs always awaken a dream...

The PAA2 you will get plenty of fun from - it has an SPL meter too, so you could do the stuff grumpy mentioned (in his now deleted post... :dont-know ). It is a great tool that has many applications. Once you get it, you'll wonder why you waited.

I found a Meyer CP-10 used, selling for about $1500 (!)Yea, I know. I've got five of them - all were sent for full check-ups/refurbishing at Meyer (they do great work!) - and they have become my favorite. They've replaced GEQ's in my racks - I have grown to require/prefer the exactness of a parametric.

Check eBay for EQ's - stick with highly reputable sellers. I've had good luck.

In any event, your first results I am almost certain will be enjoyable. You might find your results "open" the sound, by the removal/lessening of resonance(s). You will also surely see how the LF rolls-off, and then we'll just have to start talking about 2245's... lol

scott fitlin
08-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Yea, costs always awaken a dream...

The PAA2 you will get plenty of fun from - it has an SPL meter too, so you could do the stuff grumpy mentioned (in his now deleted post... :dont-know ). It is a great tool that has many applications. Once you get it, you'll wonder why you waited.

Yea, I know. I've got five of them - all were sent for full check-ups/refurbishing at Meyer (they do great work!) - and they have become my favorite. They've replaced GEQ's in my racks - I have grown to require/prefer the exactness of a parametric.

Check eBay for EQ's - stick with highly reputable sellers. I've had good luck.

In any event, your first results I am almost certain will be enjoyable. You might find your results "open" the sound, by the removal/lessening of resonance(s). You will also surely see how the LF rolls-off, and then we'll just have to start talking about 2245's... lolYou ever try the urei 546? I have one, and I like this parametric alot.

Another great sounding, but hellaciously expensive parametric is the Massenburg GML-8200. One of the best I have ever played with.

Ian Mackenzie
08-28-2007, 02:35 PM
I agree with Allan, Heather and Pelly for the most part, and no tongue-in-cheek.

To me, "audiophile" conjurs the image of a high-end stereo buff - a person with very discerning taste, and who deploys costly gear and trunk-line sized cabling and all-too-often loves cabinets with multiple mid-bass drivers, no sub and limited cabinet volume.

Most commonly, to my chagrin, they will not ackowlege the importance of signal-path EQ to optimize for room response. A few have allowed me to insert an EQ and tune to the room - with vastly improved response - but they devoutly prefer the purist approach.

Bo,

I m glad we agree on that point. Will save a few arguments over the weekend!

But to my mind JBL user (and more specifically a forum member) goes beyond audiophile status to being an audio fanatic or JBL fanatic.

As most of you appreciate a biamped JBL system has the power and certain life like qualities that go well beyond an off the shelf purist audiophile equipment system (even with all the highly exclusive & subjective nicities that go with the really big $$) to the point of being there.

This does not mean being an audiophile does not has its place, it does. But I consider running a (big JBL) system a very different class of equipment that in some way has a cult status and following.

The Widget at one point enjoyed calling me an audiophile. I never fully work it out at the time but perhaps I have answered my own question.:D

scott fitlin
08-28-2007, 03:36 PM
I'd have to agree, JBL and ALTEC users have gone beyond the term 'Audiophile', as both of these brands enjoy a cult following.

And we all know there is a valid reason for this, dont we? ;)

richluvsound
08-28-2007, 04:01 PM
Is it true that Audio Piles cant hear below 40 htz . I love being a maverick.
Blue is beautiful !!!!!!! Call me a fanatic.
SNAKE OIL :barf:

Rich

Rolf
08-28-2007, 11:59 PM
An audiophile is a person that has more interest in sound quality and the equipment making this quality possible than most people that just is satisfied as long as there comes sound from their system.

Andyoz
08-29-2007, 03:19 AM
It ain't me, and I am intrigued by their perception of quality sound. They get the mid-bass and HF fine, but most typically there is a great deal of LF missing in their approach.

I'd agree with that. In the UK, the "source first" trend started by some opinion leaders years ago had audiophiles spending up to ten times the speaker budget on the turntable, i.e. £3,000 turntables feeding £300 speakers.

You do hear stories about audiophiles with mega buck systems and they only own a handfull of CD's, many of them "demo" CD's.

Guido
08-29-2007, 03:22 AM
An audiophile is a person that has more interest in sound quality and the equipment making this quality possible than most people that just is satisfied as long as there comes sound from their system.

Thanks Rolf!

That's the definition. Except: ......as long as there comes sound......

I suggest to use noise instead of sound ;)

pos
08-29-2007, 08:02 AM
In any event, your first results I am almost certain will be enjoyable. You might find your results "open" the sound, by the removal/lessening of resonance(s). You will also surely see how the LF rolls-off, and then we'll just have to start talking about 2245's... lol

Basstraps and room placement and geometry is also a great way to reduce these resonances.
The problem with eq is that you can only eq rigth at one place in the room (the ideal listening position), and you can even aggravate dips or bumps in the LF in others places in the room.
In my view EQ comes at a last ressort to fine tune the global response of the room at the listening position, but room adjustement comes first. Bass traps and other absorbers are also the only way to adjust things such as reverb time at different frequencies.

00Robin
08-29-2007, 02:03 PM
I'd have to agree, JBL and ALTEC users have gone beyond the term 'Audiophile', as both of these brands enjoy a cult following.

And we all know there is a valid reason for this, dont we? ;)

:bouncy:

MJC
08-29-2007, 02:41 PM
I consider myself and others of this forum, true audiophiles, as we all use JBLs.
Then there are others, who think they're audiophiles, but are merely only prey for snake oil salemen.
$100,000 TT, $1500 interconnect, Richard Grey's Power Co conditioners, and the bottom, most stuff with Monster Cable name on it.

Allanvh5150
08-29-2007, 10:34 PM
As a JBL nut for a very long time, I have a system that is all JBL with a handfull of other gear as well, Perreaux amps, Roland eq's and the like. The gear I use was top end in its day and today it wouldnt rate very highly as far as noise figures and other specs go. Having said that though, my system is absolutely brilliant at reproducing anything I can throw at it. I would also invite an "Audiophile" to compare any system with it and say it "sounds" better. At the end of the day you could purchase a $100,000 speaker system that is flat accross the spectrum or you could spend a few thousand dollars and put some eq on it and it would sound at least 99% as good. Pure silver versus copper? Sure, the silver may conduct a little better than copper but the copper is one hundredth the cost. Just use the next size copper cable. I have even done a comparrison on my turntable, yes I still have one, with a $80K marble platter blah blah blah. Sure it was better but not 100 times better. I dont consider myself and audiophile. I am an enthusiast who likes great gear but even if I had bags of cash I dont think I would spend 3-400K on a soundsystem. I know people that have them and they are at best, average. IMHO. :)

Steve K
09-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Thought this video might be interesting.

http://www.rockechoes.com/passionate-audiophiles/

Steve K

Pointsource
09-11-2007, 06:11 PM
I think its the guy who says, " I CAN hear a difference," when given a blind A/B test of the same speakers :D.

The same guy who's willing to BUY hype and not reality....

Then there are those of us who enjoy listening to music and want to know why what we hear sounds so good.. And on the other side there are those who don't care and just want things to get magically better without knowing why they did..

An audiophile may not like to hear this, but money can never buy them happiness, they are only temporarily content and can never be truely satisfied.

I think we all need to be happier enjoying what we have and be willing to learn what we are striving for rather than just forking out money in the hopes that someone else will tell us.. Just my .02...

Pointsource
09-11-2007, 06:15 PM
I dont think I would spend 3-400K on a soundsystem. I know people that have them and they are at best, average. IMHO. :)

I could see myself spending that much, but only if I knew why I was buying it, what I was buying it for, and why I needed to spend so much that I couldn't otherwise get elsewhere for less.. That takes enlightenment beyond what I'm capable of understanding.. so I guess maybe I'll never be spending that much afterall :D.

The moral of the story, money cannot "buy" you the best speaker system for you, only your knowledge as to what your really seeking can...

UreiCollector
09-13-2007, 06:17 PM
there are very few of us. we are here, and we know who we are......

how many people in this world thrown on some music, and listen to the system, analyze the system, are compelled to listen to the system, and strive to improve the system....

those people are the audiophiles.

UreiCollector
09-13-2007, 06:25 PM
It's someone who enjoys this hobby. ...... . Like any hobby there are extremes but it doesn't change the core fact that we all enjoy this stuff.

I totally agree.

Also, anyone who has dedicated an entire room of their home to their stereo system, must certainly be an audiophile.

Tube / Solid State or Vinyl / Digital === we are all in it for the love of 'that sound' whatever that means to us as individuals.

fotodan
09-13-2007, 06:55 PM
there are very few of us. we are here, and we know who we are......

how many people in this world thrown on some music, and listen to the system, analyze the system, are compelled to listen to the system, and strive to improve the system....

those people are the audiophiles.

Wouldn't that be a systemphile? :blink:

Mr. Widget
09-13-2007, 11:43 PM
It's someone who enjoys this hobby. That's the way I look at it. As I see it any long term member here is one. What the internet and some of the snobazines have done to the meaning really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things. Like any hobby there are extremes but it doesn't change the core fact that we all enjoy this stuff.
I totally agree.
Also, anyone who has dedicated an entire room of their home to their stereo system, must certainly be an audiophile.
Tube / Solid State or Vinyl / Digital === we are all in it for the love of 'that sound' whatever that means to us as individuals.I also agree. If you love vintage speakers for their particular sound or the most exotic boutique devices from the rarified brands advertised and glowingly reviewed in the audio rags, I think you are an audiophile. Audiophile also includes the kid with an iPod and boombox but wishes he had a "better" system. As Dome points out it is about your enthusiasm or emotional commitment to sound.

Of course there is also the politics of audio... where some feel you must have tubed or class A solid state electronics and expensive speakers to be an audiophile... and those who disdain all that is expensive and feel it is all an evil con.

As Rob said, it is a hobby. If all you can afford is a pair of old Advents and a vintage receiver or you have the latest mega dollar system... it isn't the gear that makes you an audiophile or not, it is your passion and the joy you get from this stuff.

Which speakers from JBL are "Audiophile?" I guess that depends on who is listening to them... some might love their EONs and others their 250Tis...

Widget

Ducatista47
09-16-2007, 06:20 PM
There is much to like and something to dislike for almost everyone in this article. Apologies if it has already been referenced.
http://www.stereotimes.com/comm011602.shtml

This one from the same site may not add much, but it is fun: http://www.stereotimes.com/comm021802.shtml

Clark

4313B
09-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Which speakers from JBL are "Audiophile?"I've always considered JBL a breed apart. I don't recall ever connecting JBL with "Audiophile", quite the opposite.

There is much to like and something to dislike for almost everyone in this article.I'm definitely not an "Audiophile". Thanks for the link.

DaCarlson
01-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Audiophile is a term used by the ones with the "gifted ear" And people associated with the gifted ear will typically think their keen sence of hearing makes their sound system knowledge superior. Which quite frankly as far as I am concerned doesn't exist. If you just love sound this term shouldn't apply to you at all.

Never listen to what someone else says about a system.. Your ear is always the best judge.

brutal
01-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Thought this video might be interesting.

http://www.rockechoes.com/passionate-audiophiles/

Steve K

:blink:

If incoming AC Power is 50% and the equipment rack is 30% of the music, that only leaves 20% for the source material, equipment, and environment.

:bs:

Priceless.

jerryjg
01-12-2008, 12:31 PM
he's an audio-fool.

hjames
01-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Audiophile is a term used by the ones with the "gifted ear" And people associated with the gifted ear will typically think their keen sense of hearing makes their sound system knowledge superior. Which quite frankly, as far as I am concerned, doesn't exist. If you just love sound this term shouldn't apply to you at all.

Never listen to what someone else says about a system.. Your ear is always the best judge.

Some folks here may see "Audiophile" as a term of derision, but it doesn't have to be. Phile is "Love" so the term translates to "Lover of sound" or "Lover of audio". Any term can used as an insult, but that doesn't make it so.

It doesn't just mean folks who buy very high end gear and disparage all others ...:)

As Rolf sez - Sometimes its just about the music ...

cooky1257
01-12-2008, 04:41 PM
To me I've always considered "audiophile" to be a mildly derogatory term to describe someone who is forever chasing his/her tail on a money burning spiral of continuous audio dissatisfaction.
A music lover on the other hand uses his stereo system to connect with the performance, the idea the band were trying to convey, the event, the time in their lives etc.
I've 'connected' with plenty of performances either via ropey pa systems in dodgy pubs to late night tunes eons ago on am radio or in the first flushes of youthful passions over various car stereos-you don't need a $4000 passive preamp to do that-and to me that's where the whiff of BS associated with our passtime crops up.
Saying all that, to your average person we probably 'all' look a bit nutty and I know that my better half thinks I should be certified so it's all relative I suppose ;-)

Mr. Widget
01-13-2008, 10:22 PM
Never listen to what someone else says about a system.. Your ear is always the best judge.Yes... and no. I have many friends whose opinions I respect and whose taste in audio runs parallel to my own... If they say try this or that device, I'll certainly give it a shot.

To me I've always considered "audiophile" to be a mildly derogatory term to describe someone who is forever chasing his/her tail on a money burning spiral of continuous audio dissatisfaction. To most people an audiophile is a term referring to some sort of eccentric just like a birder or a philatelist. Within the audiophile community there is a subdivision who think themselves too smart to get sucked into spending a fortune on wires or gear... instead these folks will spend hours assembling wire from Cat5e or building an amp or surfing eBay for a deal on some under-appreciated piece of audio gear... I don't know why a person who spends time and effort in the pursuit of high fidelity audio would be frightened by any title let alone one that as Heather pointed out is so benign.

A music lover on the other hand... late night tunes eons ago on am radio or in the first flushes of youthful passions over various car stereos...
There are those who do love music and are quite content with AM radios and boom boxes... they don't read forums like this. :D

Saying all that, to your average person we probably 'all' look a bit nutty and I know that my better half thinks I should be certified so it's all relative I suppose ;-):yes:

Widget

Zilch
01-14-2008, 12:11 AM
I don't know what an audiophile is; none has ever come by this forum.

[I THINK one may have, once, but he left too quickly in his jon-boat for us to know for sure.... :p ]

Mr. Widget
01-14-2008, 12:22 AM
I don't know what an audiophile is...I guess your understanding of Greek and Latin isn't as good as Heather's. :p

Widget

GTekie
01-14-2008, 12:10 PM
I have driven heavy trucks all my working life. As a driver one has to be aware of noises ( thumps pops, hissing, grinding or the sound of breaking glass ) lol Not to mention the clatter of the engine , the whine of the turbo or the roar of the exhaust.
At days end l like to unwind by listening to some music .It relaxes me and attunes me to a more serene place.The evolution of my gear to listen to it has been on going for over 45 yrs. It was never an obsession. I let my ears be my guide.
I see discussions here that are very interesting does that make me an Audiophile ?
I understand there is no cure for Audiophilia but there are some interesting therapies to ease to ease the discomfort of the sufferer.
Over the holidays I purchased a hd-dvd player. I also managed to obtain a cd encoded in dts. Put the two together and the experience was almost , well its hard to describe. Surely it can't get any better than this. A little unsettling though. No longer are the musicians on stage in front of you. Now you are standing in the band.
Guess I am one (of you)

Ian Mackenzie
01-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Perhaps some discussion of the definition or the terminology is in order.

I dont think the term has anything to do necessarily with having possession of hi end components.

For example you could own a lot of very old vintage gear and have a passionate long term interest as a collector/user trying different combinations.

I think the point here is the tenure and frequency of interest and use of such audio equipment.

That is to say, if someone saw owning and using a sound system as a short term thing or passing fad I would not regard him/her as an audiophile.

If someone bought a relatively expensive system purely for the enjoyment of hearing his favourite tunes without any care of what the equipment was I doubt they could be regarded as an audiophile but a music lover of course.

Someone who just reads Hifi equipment magazines regularly but does not own any audio equipment may consider themselves as an audiophile but they have an interest and are really a follower.

The person who regularly uses and is passionate about their sound system and constantly tries different cables and makes other changes and associates with like minded people is an audiophile.

But there is a sublte and perhaps interesting distinction between an audiophile and a HiFi fanatic.

A HiFI fanatic is an audiophile without what might be decribed as commonsense or limitations. They hang out at hi end audio stores, spend vast sums of money on regularly upgrading their system and go to extreme measures in pursuit of audio nirvana.

JBLOG
01-14-2008, 02:20 PM
It's an obsession. :banghead:
It's a disease. An imbalance in my brain chemistry.
I have no control over my thoughts or ebay queries.
There are no drugs that my insurance will reimburse.

Gotta join The Twelve Step Program.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/twelvesteps.htm

Wish me well as I go into the light! :crying:

greyhound
01-14-2008, 03:18 PM
if you call someone an audiophile its almost an insult.
i dont care as long as we can talk about music with a passion.

its the tweakers you should be worrying about.

buying air to supprt there gear (masterbase)
spending hunderds of dollars on silver wire.
using gold fuses in their fusebox.:blah:

and every littele tweak makes an improvement.

oh my god bass is much tighter, there air around the musicians now.
much more transparency!!!
and all because they use wooden spikes in stead of iron:rotfl:

tomee
01-14-2008, 05:37 PM
I once roomed with a guy who wasn't an audiophile. He special ordered CDs from the distributors because the stores wouldn't carry them. He had a collection of about 500 hard to find classical CDs, mostly piano because he was a piano major. He used a portable CD player and headphones to listen. :D