PDA

View Full Version : My visit to the pawnshop

oldsoundz
08-15-2007, 02:42 PM
Anyone ever been burned by a PAWN SHOP? Maybe you bought something that didn't work as it should, or lost something either to non-payment, or they just cant find it. And of course they never give anywhere near what your item's worth.

Yesterday a pair of Magnepan MG-1's came up on craigslist locally for $50.00. Being an eBay seller, I jumped on them. Then I thought, what if I could get a pawn shop to take them? Then I don't have to box, ship, deal with customer, or pay related fee's. So what the hey, I have a minute. I gave them a quick test on a bookshelf radio and out the door I went.

The 1st pawn shop didn't bite, they had no clue what they were. The 2nd shop didn't know either but when I told them, they were more than eager to give me some money. They gave me $250.00. Not a bad profit, considering.

Should I feel bad, or continue smiling? I feel a little bad, but only a little.

John
08-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Anyone ever been burned by a PAWN SHOP? Maybe you bought something that didn't work as it should, or lost something either to non-payment, or they just cant find it. And of course they never give anywhere near what your item's worth.

Yesterday a pair of Magnepan MG-1's came up on craigslist locally for $50.00. Being an eBay seller, I jumped on them. Then I thought, what if I could get a pawn shop to take them? Then I don't have to box, ship, deal with customer, or pay related fee's. So what the hey, I have a minute. I gave them a quick test on a bookshelf radio and out the door I went.

The 1st pawn shop didn't bite, they had no clue what they were. The 2nd shop didn't know either but when I told them, they were more than eager to give me some money. They gave me $250.00. Not a bad profit, considering.

Should I feel bad, or continue smiling? I feel a little bad, but only a little.

Don't understand the post?:blink:

johnaec
08-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Don't understand the post?:blink:He bought some speakers off craigslist for $50, then sold them to a pawnshop for $250.

John

JohnK
08-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Man, I couldn't stomach dealing with people in a pawn shop. But to each his own. :)

Wornears
08-15-2007, 06:10 PM
I go to pawn shops all the time; never had an "uppity" attitude about them. Have made some great vinyl/CD finds. Bought a pair of teak Linn Kans in fine condition for $25, which I later sold for $400. One of the best places to buy tools on the cheap -- seasonal construction workers supply great power tool finds. Pawn shops have gone upscale in some areas, won't take junk, and offer quality merchandise. Usually depends on the area of town you are in.

I'd never feel guilty making a profit off a pawn shop sale to them. They've made plenty off me.

Audiobeer
08-15-2007, 07:24 PM
That is what this boards about, the discussion of our beloved JBLS. :applaud:

00Robin
08-15-2007, 08:18 PM
I never even knew they existed until about ten years ago. Sheltered life. Thats where I found my second set of VOTTS 604c's...I asked if he had any and he said yes. I asked if they were green. He said yes. I asked the price. He said $100 and all the original paperwork. I asked if they worked. He said yes. I handed him a hun and loaded and left as fast as I could.
I am still SO happy,nine years later.