PDA

View Full Version : stentorian loudspeakers

jblwolf
05-19-2003, 08:40 AM
Greetings to all,
over the weekend I picked up a few old loudspeakers that I never heard of and was wondering if anyone had any info on these speakers,
I will start off with this speaker first:

STENTORIAN,MADE IN ENGLAND BY
WHITELEY ELECTICAL,MANSFIELD,NOTTS

I HAVE A FEW MORE THAT I WILL POST IN THE FUTURE.

scott fitlin
05-19-2003, 01:28 PM
Is that a 70v line transformer or a field coil?

very interesting looking old speakers! Never heard of these before, but on one of the other sites about other vintage speaker brands; i.e. jensen, Stephens, etc, I saw an RCA woofer with cutouts similar to the ones your cone has!

Do they work?

jblwolf
05-19-2003, 03:42 PM
Scott,the box is a crossover,from what I can see this one will not work,the voice coil wire is coming out of the gap,I didnt test the comp.driver,but I'm sure it's fryed too,I just picked up a lot of old radio parts and found a few speakers in the lot,once I get a chance I well post the other onces as well,I did find one that was still in the shipping crate,but no brand label,it is a field coil and weighs about 50lbs,I think its 8or10"

scott fitlin
05-19-2003, 04:19 PM
Its cool to just tinker with these old items and find out what they had all those years ago.

jblwolf
05-20-2003, 01:49 PM
I would have to agree that its nice when you find stuff like this,too bad most of this stuff has seen better days,Ive been looking to find this brand of speaker but no luck yet:(

gregh
12-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Hi, just a follow up to an old post i just read... I picked up a couple Stentorians in great shape and sound fabulous for their age. They've got the cool clear cap on the back and weigh a ton. If anyone has any info or wants to see a few shots of these ones, let me know. Thanks, Greg
[email protected]