PDA

View Full Version : M&K sat/sub opinions ?

SEAWOLF97
08-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Going to take a demo of these this weekend

any opinions welcome ....good/bad/high price/low price/I dont like 'em 'cause..etc

BR use maybe or flip. I dunno...depends

M&K (Miller & Kreisel) satellite / Subwoofer system S-1b /V-1b - $375

Date: 2007-08-02, 12:40AM PDT

This ad is for a complete M&K (Miller & Kreisel) satellite / Subwoofer system including the factory M&K speaker stands. The satellites are the S-1B’s and the subwoofer is the matching V-1B amplified 12” bass unit (a beautiful piece as well with a glass top). Condition is great, as these speakers were noted for being accurate & powerful sounding. These are only for sale because I am moving out of state. I do not feel comfortable using e-bay or any service that requires shipping (shipping seems too risky for damage).

Don C
08-03-2007, 06:16 PM
I owned a similar set for a while, mine were S1, (the original version) with a matching Volkswoofer sub. The key to the design is the comoponent stacking, it narrows the vertical dispersion. This way you don't get floor or ceiling reflections, just direct sound, and side wall reflection. Unfortunately, the effect is pretty dramatic, if you point them so that they sound good from a sitting position, all of the treble goes away as soon as you stand up. I could never get used to it. They had a lot of adjustment possibilities, but they alway sounded a bit harsh, no matter how you changed the settings. Some of the settings were truly awful. Hopefully the later versions improved some of the harshness. Still, I don't think I'd reccomend those. I sold mine on ebay pretty quickly.

oldsoundz
08-04-2007, 12:50 AM
I owned quite a bit of M&K for a short time (investment) and was thoroughly impressed. It was a full surround setup. Their subwoofers in particular stood out, so I kept one. A single 8" powered, and it's more than plenty. I had a couple of dual 12" powered subs that were out of this world. In short, at least give them a listen. I was impressed, and the company just went out of business (sudden jump in market) seem to only be getting more valuable anyway...

Chris

mrbluster
08-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Owned earlier version. As noted some issues, not the smoothest at the top and you need to be in the sweet spot, but wonderfully dynamic and an impressive sub to boot. I give it a thumbs up and add that the price is on the low side .
I think you will enjoy the experience.

Fred Sanford
08-04-2007, 11:57 AM
I've had an M&K V3B sub for years, like it a lot. The little plug that covers one of the recessed pots on the back is important, you get a whistling air leak if it's not in place. Also blew something on the plate amp at some point, but the repair was quick & cheap, and it's given years of service before & after.

M&K just dropped out of business, though, I think.

FWIW,

je

UreiCollector
08-04-2007, 08:32 PM
M&K has decided to close, according to their pro website http://www.mkprofessional.com/

and their consumer site only says "under construction"
http://www.mksound.com/

I own a few of their 150's, and they aren't bad for a small monitor, though I like the older 150, the newer ones have a kind of "vague" sound to them.

Uncle Paul
08-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Dakmart is currently loaded with M&K: http://dakmart.com/search.php?keyword=MILLER%26KREISEL

That usually means some sort of liquidation is underway.

pasadena
08-08-2007, 09:25 AM
I've heard that paradigm subs supposed to be excellent. There's one weighted for music and theatre. Can't remember which one but I can look into it.

Thought this would have been useful information.

Cheers
Pasadena.

SEAWOLF97
08-08-2007, 09:35 AM
My friend "Flipper" came by last night...he sells a lot of M&K, says that price was too high.

This morning the CL seller answered me to inform that he had sold the sub seperately,,,so looks like I got worked up for naught.:(

hjames
03-29-2009, 03:03 PM
But how did it sound??
Did you listen to the system - and did you like it?

Robh3606
03-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Hello Heather

Look at the date.

Rob:)

hjames
03-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Hello Heather
Look at the date.

Rob:)

Thanks Robb -

Yep - Seawolf mentioned the date in the first post
Date: 2007-08-02, 12:40AM PDT
- its a 2 year old thread - so??

I did a search and found it -
Remember, I was here back then too.

But the question still stands -
how was the sound?

Good? Bad? memorable? non-descript?

SEAWOLF97
03-29-2009, 06:34 PM
But how did it sound??
Did you listen to the system - and did you like it?

never got a chance to do it...that 2 y.o. price looks high in today's market.

I now have 2 M&K subs and they are just fine....one of them started making funny noises last week , sounded like the driver went wacky (tech term) , so I found the spare CV driver and opened the sub to replace...well, the driver is a dual VC and one of the leads had vibrated off and was getting hit on the backside of the cone....EZ fix, and all is good again. I have had the matching sats when didnt have the subs and they were quite nice too.

noticed that flipper had a CL JBL ad today .......

CLASSIC JBL L-220 floorstandind speaker - $1800 (ne-portland)
selling on one paie classic JBL L-220 huge speaker in super mint condition and working very big and very heavy 160 pound each speaker ,let me know if interested THANK

....but he waayy misquoted the weight....I emailed him and was told that they sold last night ....he had paid exactly a quarter of the sale price (300% profit ?) and was heading back to get a 2nd pair....the guy can smell JBL's.

hjames
03-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the quick response!

Were yours the Sat-1s or Sat-2s

Seems the 1s have double cabinets with double woofs and tweets,
the 2s are more normal 2 ways, but both have the same kind of rounded corner wooden cabinets like the Volkswoofers ...

mikebake
03-29-2009, 07:17 PM
My audio store friend always tried to sell me on these; I just could never warm up to them.

Doc Mark
03-31-2009, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the quick response!

Were yours the Sat-1s or Sat-2s

Seems the 1s have double cabinets with double woofs and tweets,
the 2s are more normal 2 ways, but both have the same kind of rounded corner wooden cabinets like the Volkswoofers ...

Hi, All,

From the look of them, those are all Peerless components. I was using those "back in the day", and liked them, quite a bit. In fact, the little speaks I enjoy in the work studio are a small pair I built eons ago, using that same Peerless tweeter, and a 6 1/2" Polypropylene Peerless woofer. Still sounds great, though I did have to have the woofs refoamed at OC Sound, many years ago. BTW, they did a VERY shoddy job of it, too! :biting: Someday, I'll post photos, so that you can all see their wonderfully professional (NOT!) handiwork..... But, the little speaks still sound good, despite the fact that the woofers look crappy after the very mess refoaming I received. I always liked Peerless components, and when I worked at Schaak Electronics, in Minneapolis, DLK speakers, which was the Schaak housebrand, used Peerless stuff in their products, too. Nice. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

tarior
05-17-2009, 09:25 PM
never got a chance to do it...that 2 y.o. price looks high in today's market.

CLASSIC JBL L-220 floorstandind speaker - $1800 (ne-portland)
selling on one paie classic JBL L-220 huge speaker in super mint condition and working very big and very heavy 160 pound each speaker ,let me know if interested THANK

....but he waayy misquoted the weight....I emailed him and was told that they sold last night ....he had paid exactly a quarter of the sale price (300% profit ?) and was heading back to get a 2nd pair....the guy can smell JBL's.

I know the guy of whom you speak, and he falls ass-backwards into cool stereo gear all of the time. He remodels homes, so he is constantly coming across all of the gear that people are "downsizing" in favor of Bose or what have you. He's really a pretty nice guy, and if you get to know him, you can get some good deals. He has held onto gear that I wanted even when his phone was ringing off the hook.
I have to say that I'm pretty proud to have gotten a pristine pair of L220As from the original owner for a very good price last Friday. Somehow they went virtually unnoticed for three days. Maybe it was because they were in Albany.:dont-know