PDA

View Full Version : New Purchase...L300.....Drop-Dead Gorgeous

bloatedpig
07-28-2007, 04:52 PM
Just picked these up. Flawless cabinets and correct drivers. The original grills are like-new as well. They were lightly used and it shows. Just changed out the speaker terminals with bannana accepting posts.........couldn't have been easier. No need for a sub with these bad boys! My wife even is impressed by the build quality (Go figure)

Enjoy the pics

grumpy
07-28-2007, 05:49 PM
those appear to be in really nice shape... Congrats! -grumpy

Ian Mackenzie
07-29-2007, 12:32 AM
Beautiful find!

Storm
07-29-2007, 04:09 AM
Okay,

As always -- spill the beans...

How much and where???

;)

-Storm.

hjames
07-29-2007, 06:17 AM
Very nice looking acquisition, congratulations.

As always, no need to give out financial details,
but I am curious - was it local, or did you have to travel a bit?

BMWCCA
07-29-2007, 08:19 AM
I want any you rejected in your quest! Nice set. Good home. That's all that need be said.

Titanium Dome
07-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Very nice acquisition. Well done at any price.

bloatedpig
07-29-2007, 09:53 AM
This was the 7th set of 300's that I looked at before buying. The others ranged from a 4/10 to a 7/10 in my opinion. These are a strong 9.5. There is a very minute set of scratches on the very back and along the bottom (non-veneer) edge that keep it from a 10. This is the only set that had flawless wood work. The veneer/black paint looks like they came right out of the box. The cabinets were my prime priority. I knew that the drivers could be aquired easily on Ebay. They also came with 2-sets of perfect Grill covers! (very weak design in my opinion) A set of these just went for over 500 bucks on ebay recently. The slanted design of the 300's prevent a straight forward cover like on the 100's that were bullet-proof.

I had to fly and than drive approx. 500 miles to get them.....a small price in my opinion. No way was I going to have these crated and shipped. A friends father of mine had a pair of these back in the mid-80's and he was playing Hendrix's Love or Confusion from the "Are You Experienced" album..............simply took my breath away. I felt like the guy sitting in the chair in the Maxell ad with L100's in it.

They weren't cheap.........under 5 grand that's all I'm spilling. Figure they were 3+ grand in the late 70's..what does that compute to in todays dollars? The build quality alone is worth the price of admission. I have them hooked-up to a Levinson preamp with a Nakamichi PA-7 amp.........music was meant to sound like this. I had a pair of L100's for approx. 20-years and they never ceased to amaze my friends.......wait till they hear these!

*** Added a few more pics.......The weak link Grills. Look like something I made with wood laying around the house when I was 10. No wonder these things bring so much money in good condition. The originals would be in splinters in no time with out great care. ***

greyhound
07-29-2007, 10:49 AM
absolutely beautifull.................you...you ..lucky person you.:applaud:

Uncle Paul
07-29-2007, 02:49 PM
They are beautiful and I am jealous :)

Glad they went to someone who will appreciate them!

BassHog
07-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Those are beautiful. What binding posts did you install in them?

bloatedpig
07-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Parts Express #10721370. member sourceoneaudio gave me the lead. These fit perfectly w/o any modification. They come on a plastic panel and are easily removed. They have a shoulder that sits against the back of the speaker and are installed by accessing the woofer and pulling back a bit of insulation. They are perfectly recessed to allow you to still lay the 300 on it's back.

Hope this helps

edgewound
07-29-2007, 05:02 PM
Nice find:applaud:

majick47
07-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Congrats bloatedpig on that beautiful pair of L300. Couldn't agree more re the desirability of those cabinets and almost mint condition. Re the grills I also thought the particle board grill frames were cheesy but after talking with a person who had woodworking experience he commented that particle board was preferable since it wouldn't warp etc. Obviously as you stated the grills have to be handled with extreme care. You went to great expense and effort but one look at those L300s tells me you were well rewarded.

JohanR
08-01-2007, 07:04 AM
Very nice ones!

I recently bought a pair of 4331B's here in Sweden that is in very good shape (they have been privately owned), but not quite as good as your L300's!

Agree on the grilles, they are really crap. Anyway, the blue cloth on mine is a bit to garish, so I'm not using them.

Happy listening / Johan

Heinz
08-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Welcome to the L300 "club" :)

/ Heinz

majick47
08-02-2007, 08:06 AM
I checked PE web site for the binding posts (#10721370) and didn't find them. Also checked the catalog and didn't see them either, did they renumber the binding posts? Related parts are running in the 900 series.

bloatedpig
08-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Majik,

Do a search here on the forum under "L300 speaker" It will lead you to a topic I submitted about the binding post. There is a direct link for the binding posts there.

Thanks