PDA

View Full Version : mixer !

richluvsound
07-23-2007, 09:10 AM
Hi Folks,

looking for an 8 track mixer for live application. Please, any opinions are welcome.

Rich

johnaec
07-23-2007, 10:06 AM
I have a virtually brand new, (less than 4 hours use), JBL version, (sold with some of their EON systems), of the 8-channel Soundcraft F1: http://www.soundcraft.com/product_sheet.asp?product_id=85

JBL calls their JBL branded version the MusicMix 16, (it's actually the same mixer - it even say's Soundcraft on the back), http://www.jblpro.com/pages/mi/mi_pdf/EON15_G2_System.pdf

I'd like $200 plus shipping, (still in original box).

I also have an older 16 channel Crest Ten Series mixer, including a road case, that I'll take $100 for, (plus shipping).

I can post pics of both a little later if you'd like. 'Don't know if the shipping from California to England will make these worthwhile or not...

John

Hoerninger
07-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Please, any opinions are welcome.

With interest I will follow here.

The more exact your specifications are the better the choice will be:
- Do you need 8 inputs for mikes (XLR with phantom power?) or are some lines sufficient?
- How many outputs? Two is normal, four could be better.
- power supply intern, extern

richluvsound
07-23-2007, 10:34 AM
Hi Guys,
thanks for helping with this.

I will keep it all XLR

4 outputs, 2 to amp , 2 to dat or pc sound card.

8 inputs, Drums , vocals, cello, guitar, bass,keyboard.

this is an entry system for me learn basic mastering and recording.

I have a copy of pro-logic 7 .

Rich

boputnam
07-23-2007, 11:24 AM
...looking for an 8 track mixer for live application. Wrong, you always need more inputs... :scold:

Like John suggests, the Soundcraft Multi-purpose line (http://www.soundcraft.com/products.asp?product_category_id=2) would certainly be a great start. I've owned many of these over the years, and presently still use the LX7ii in rehearsal studio. They are great, affordable, functional desks.

Both Soundcraft and Allen & Heath MizWizard line (http://www.allen-heath.com/UK/small_format_mixers.asp) are from the UK, with their classic UK strip EQ's. Of the two, I prefer Soundcraft whose smaller format desks always incorporate a couple stereo channels in-addition to the mono strips - very handy. I also prefer the Soundcraft working surface to that of the A&H, but that's just me.

If you get serious about the mic preamps and want to add considerable headroom, consider the Midas Venice (http://www.midasconsoles.com/venice.html) line. Again, UK based. :dont-know These are superb. I own a couple Venice, a Verona and a Siena, and enjoy each's working surface a lot. Sound quality is unmatched.

richluvsound
07-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Bo,

what sort of price range is the 24 channel verona, venice ?

Is it worth considering used ? I'll take a loan if I have to.

Rich

boputnam
07-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Hey, Rich...

I can't say - particularly with the £ / US$ exchange right now! :( You stand a far better chance of getting good pricing over there!

I do know that my buddies that cross over from SR to studio really appreciate these pre-amps when working in the studio, too. They are that good.

Used, is certainly fine - just plan on sending it to Midas for a full maintenance check-up if it's been in service for a while or appears to have not been looked after. My Venice160 was caught off eBay, with fitted roadcase, US$2k. It was nearly new and has been fault-free for the three-years I've owned it. These are robust.

Sorry for the low-light pic - I had this laying around on the harddrive.

The Venice160 has:
12 x mono
4 x multi (mono or stereo, or both simultaneously, merged to one fader)
2 x Aux (pre-EQ, and switchable (globally) to pre-/post-Fader)*
2 x Mon (pre-EQ, pre-Fader)*
2 x FX sends
2 x stereo returns
2 x Master stereo outs
2 x Master B outs (switchable to mono)
2 x Speaker outs (monitor room)
Inserts on each mono channel, and (2) on Mix buss
etc.

* - these have a c/s option for converting to post-EQ, pre-Fader. Too bad it's not just jumpers...

boputnam
07-23-2007, 01:38 PM
...what sort of price range is the 24 channel verona...
The Verona 240 has a much larger control surface - and it weighs close to 300 lbs in the roadcase. I cannot get this into some smaller venues simply too large - that's why I also have the Venice 240. Something to consider - size does matter... :p

I use the Verona whenever I can.

Here's the only picture I have that shows the scale of the Verona 240 - before a matinee show on San Francisco's Union Square...

richluvsound
07-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Thanks Bo,

£ 1k is do-able.It could be slightly less here. I should be able to put something pretty useful together for around £ 10k. Then you have to come over and help me put it altogether. I'll raise the anti to include single malt to wash down the bangers and mash ;)
Rich

boputnam
07-23-2007, 02:02 PM
£ 1k is do-able.It could be slightly less here. You'd be really pleased - and lucky! - to begin this voyage on the Venice 160. :)

I'm not sure they offer a Venice160 TP (tour package) - likely not. If they do, get it - it will include the roadcase +/- doghouse (which you may not need/want for this size desk). Otherwise, find someone over there who makes custom fitted cases for this desk - dimension are available in the Midas manuals. Get a good solid case that is painfully expensive. You won't regret it, ever. I've done shows where my cases sit in the rain during the gig - simply wipe 'em off, and they are Sahara inside. I had the Venice 160 go a "rollin and a tumblin'" down a loading ramp once - only the case saw scuffs. The PCB's and console cheeks were unaffected. Amazing. If you were on this side of the water I could make some introductions, but you'll have to ask around over there. Google "road cases", and then look under headings for "consoles", etc. Most makers have done these plenty of times, and will advertise that.

Hell, I'd love to help, any way needed. Come back to the well - there's tonnes of experience (and even more opinions... ;) ) here!

boputnam
07-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Hell, I'd love to help, any way needed. I'm pinging a few contacts in the UK. Lemme see what we come-up with...
;)

Andyoz
07-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Rich,

Don't forget to look in the SOS classified's (you probably already have!)

http://www.soundonsound.com/readersads/AdBrowse.php?Cat=17

richluvsound
07-24-2007, 12:50 AM
Cheers Andy,

I had'nt thought about it . Like a burk , I ran straight to Eprey.

Rich

pelly3s
07-24-2007, 04:50 AM
If you are ok spending somewhere around $5000 (some people are some aren't) the Yamaha LS9-16 is one of the best investments you could ever make. Its 16 ch with 8 omni outs which can be assigned to anything you need them to be. It also has 4 stereo fx processors, and dynamics and eq on every channel and master fader. With input cards can be expanded to a number of different outputs in inputs. hey it was just a thought. i use a 16ch, and 32ch version on a regular basis, along with an M7CL and they made mixing fun again

boputnam
07-24-2007, 11:12 AM
Yea, the LS9 is indeed a most interesting design. However, there are no inserts, anywhere... :biting:

I realize all manner of "outboard" dynamics processors (DP) and FX are available on-board, but when I use these I spend an inappropriate (and discouraging!) amount of time staring at the LCD and paging endlessly through all the strips, Aux and outputs displays checking for evidence of the gain structure - which DP are firing when, and how. My eyes are 'sposed to be on the artists!

With my analogue domain, I can glance quickly at the DP racks and immediately get a check on my gain structure, then it's eyes back on the artists. As well, I can choose the brand and topology of the outboard DP's - like a smooth tube C/L across the stereo buss... :coolness:

I also believe anyone just entering this space is better-off staying analogue, and getting used to how the working surfaces "work" - this will make for a more adept and competent digital engineer. There is hella lot of stuff on those digital desks...

My 2¢

richluvsound
07-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks again bo,

I prefer to stay analogue . digital source can be mixed in . I WANT THIS CELLO, TO SOUND LIKE A CELLO. Not like a computer trying to sound like a cello.

Rich