PDA

View Full Version : Ian's Saturday Soiree in LA

Titanium Dome
07-20-2007, 08:16 AM
Okay, that's a bit over the top, but now that I have your attention, let's formalize a get together of the SoCal LH faithful on Saturday, September 1, 2007. The location will be the Long Beach/LA Harbor, and we're looking at late afternoon or early evening for a couple of hours.

Recognizing that this will be the Labor Day weekend, it may cut some of you out, but those who are interested and able should express their interest. Also, since it will be Ian's first day across the Dateline, we don't want to push too hard, so no pub crawl or all night boogaloo.

We'll settle for a nice dinner, some great conversation, and perhaps a toast or two. As we get expressions of interest, Steve Schell and I will outline an "agenda" (nothing all that formal) and let those who've responded know what we've planned.

Are you in?

Let me know.

toddalin
07-20-2007, 09:51 AM
If we're also thinking of some listening to JBLs, count me in.

richluvsound
07-20-2007, 11:25 AM
TD,

dont send him to us worn out. Theres about 10 aleph diy kits sitting here waiting for his magic touch. :applaud:

Rich

Titanium Dome
07-20-2007, 11:28 AM
TD,

dont send him to us worn out. Theres about 10 aleph diy kits sitting here waiting for his magic touch. :applaud:

Rich

I've got about a dozen xovers that need the caps replaced and Steve has 24 room treatment panels that need finishing, plus about a dozen old pieces of tube gear that need biasing--nothing too demanding. :rotfl:

richluvsound
07-20-2007, 11:40 AM
I hear the tardis is really a mobile workshop that runs on single malt whisky.

schhhh , He's sleeping. ;)

Ian Mackenzie
07-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Doug,

I am sure what ever happens it will turn out just fine.

For me arriving in the first city is something very special.

Ian

Titanium Dome
07-25-2007, 04:45 PM
All right, it looks like we'll gather in downtown Long Beach at 4:30 or 5:00 PM on Saturday, Sept. 1. We'll buy Ian dinner, have a few drinks, and perhaps have an opportunity to listen and view some unique audio gear afterward.

I need to start building a list, so in addition to Todd, let's hear from some of the rest of you.

John
07-25-2007, 05:52 PM
so no pub crawl or all night boogaloo.

:(:(:(

Ian Mackenzie
07-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Yeah..my Bad......:)

Cyclotronguy
07-26-2007, 11:01 AM
I submit that Ian's up for an "all nighter".. he's a stout young lad!

Cyclotronguy

Ian Mackenzie
07-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Cyclotronguy,

Your naughty!

It will depend on what sort of adrenalin rush LA gives me ( major from the size of it) and how many winks I get on the flight over. :)

mech986
07-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Cyclotronguy,

Your naughty!

It will depend on what sort of adrenalin rush LA gives me ( major from the size of it) and how many winks I get on the flight over. :)

That will also depend on how much time you will spend on the beach at Hermosa, Redondo, or Manhattan? As the Beach Boys said, West Coast Girls are the best, especially when you can see so much/many of them all at once on a glorious sunny day.

Just be sure to bring your sun tan lotion and a good hat if you don't tolerate the sun well.

Hey TD, we've got to be sure he gets his eyeful of the local pulchritude. I'll try to make the Brunch.

regards,

Bart

Ian Mackenzie
08-03-2007, 03:14 AM
Less than a Month to Go!!

I signed off on the air fare today so you guys can assume this is an early warning alert!

Ian

Titanium Dome
08-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Incoming!

JohnK
08-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Count me in!

Sounds like a good time.

Titanium Dome
08-24-2007, 03:43 PM
So far I have these people confirmed or at least semi-confirmed:

Ian
Steve
Doug (Ti Dome)
JohnK
Bart*
Todd
Rolf (transducergeek)
Dave (Grumpy)*
Hamilton*

Anyone else?

We're set for 4:30 PM on Saturday the 1st at Gladstone's in the Pike at Long Beach.

http://www.gladstoneslongbeach.com/direct.aspx

There is an opportunity for actual tube and horn listening afterward, as well as a trip into the Mysterious Vault of Audio Antiquities and Curiosities located in Long Beach, CA.

If you wrote me that you might come and your plans are now firm, please let me know. We don't want Ian to feel neglected by his Yankee Brethren.

Ian Mackenzie
08-24-2007, 04:22 PM
I'll be there!:bouncy:

toddalin
08-31-2007, 05:35 PM
I assume that we are still a "go."

Titanium Dome
08-31-2007, 06:05 PM
So far I have these people confirmed or at least semi-confirmed:

Ian
Steve
Doug (Ti Dome)
JohnK
Bart*
Todd
Rolf (transducergeek)
Dave (Grumpy)*
Hamilton*

Anyone else?

We're set for 4:30 PM on Saturday the 1st at Gladstone's in the Pike at Long Beach.

http://www.gladstoneslongbeach.com/direct.aspx

There is an opportunity for actual tube and horn listening afterward, as well as a trip into the Mysterious Vault of Audio Antiquities and Curiosities located in Long Beach, CA.

If you wrote me that you might come and your plans are now firm, please let me know. We don't want Ian to feel neglected by his Yankee Brethren.

I assume that we are still a "go."

Yes!

Is your wife going to join us?

toddalin
08-31-2007, 07:17 PM
Yes!

Is your wife going to join us?

She says she will. (Wants to do some errands on the way.)

glen
08-31-2007, 09:38 PM
Anyone else?
I'd like to jump on this bandwagon at the last minute! :bouncy:
See you at Gladstones!

mech986
09-01-2007, 02:08 AM
Hi Guys,

Last minute switch was made to my work schedule and I have to work Saturday from 9am-9pm :biting: so I won't be able to make it. Hope you guys have a wonderful dinner and get together though, have a few clams and oysters for me, will ya'?

However, if you're still in for listening to JBL's, my friend Gordon is hosting a get together On Sunday from 12pm to whenever for our college group friends at the Shadow Park Community in Cerritos on South street between Bloomfield and Shoemaker. I'm supplying ths sound and I'll be bringing my 4331 utility cabs, 4x 4425's and a pair of L100's with new Indycraft Blue grille foams. They'll be set up mostly for PA type work but they should be good. I just hope they don't melt in the heat. :blink:

Have fun Ian, and hope to meet up again. Maybe I should fly to England??

Regards,

Bart

richluvsound
09-01-2007, 02:32 AM
Hi Bart,

you'd be welcomed at Heathrow mate , especially it your luggage included the Californian sunshine !. Enjoy your get together tomorrow. How about a few photo's,of both blue sky and baffles.

Rich

Titanium Dome
09-01-2007, 06:11 AM
:flamed:

How about a few photo's,of both blue sky and baffles.

Rich

Blue skies no doubt, but not much greenery due to only 2.8 inches of rain last year and none so far this year. And it is HOT. Bart might melt the wax seals on his drivers. :flamed:

I was going to chauffeur Ian around in the Mas convertible, but I think I'll opt for air conditioned comfort instead.

Ok, off to the airport. Ian's breakfast in America is calling. Here's our first stop:

http://www.rickyandronnies.com

Robh3606
09-01-2007, 07:43 AM
Have fun guys!!

Rob:cheers::band::useless:

Steve Schell
09-01-2007, 08:50 AM
Attention all Lansing Heritage folks!

You are invited to my house tonight, Saturday 9-1, to hang out with other LHers, listen to sure 'nuff circa 1940 Lansing Iconics as well as my big a** living room horn rig, and take a tour of the Lansing museum of old, old, old stuff. We should be be back from dinner by 6:30 or 7PM, but someone will be here to receive visitors in any event. Come on down!

Steve Schell
3824 Clark Avenue
Long Beach, CA 90808
(562)421-5145

Titanium Dome
09-02-2007, 05:50 AM
Well, hopefully you guys got to bed by now.

Pictures should be up shortly from all parties, eh?

Ian, as a sidebar, the S2600 uses a 2426H compression driver in the horn. It's a 1.75" Ti (44mm) driver which is designated as the replacement driver for the 2425H originally used in the Everest DD55000's horn.

JBLnsince1959
09-02-2007, 06:07 AM
Hey Ian:

hope you guys had a great time last night. I may be able to make it to Chicago so call me or Pm me if you can ASAP ( phone is best), I've left messages with Dome, Zilch and Rick incase you don't have my phone numbers with you, if not hopefully my numbers are still your PM's

If I make it, I'll most likely be there by Monday, late afternoon or early evening..:bouncy:

take care
rick

Titanium Dome
09-02-2007, 04:37 PM
After 14+ hours of flying, Ian's plane is due to arrive at LAX's Terminal 4 at 7:30 AM. I arrive at 7:15, park the car, and head to the terminal with the Lansing Heritage logo printed out with Welcome Ian across the top. The arrivals sign indicated the flight will be 30 minutes late, and a Qantas employee says it will now arrive at the Bradley International Terminal due to a shortage of gates. So, I hoof it over to Bradley.

After more than an hour of waiting in vain, I ask the info people in the terminal what's up. They direct me back to Terminal 4, so I hoof it back over there, and start looking for Ian. Lots of people about and hard to find anyone... ooh, my phone finally rings, and it's Ian, who's been calling me for an hour or so wondering where the bloody hell (my words, not his) I've been.

Well, we're finally well met, and I give him the now frazzled welcome sign, a solid handshake, and of we go.

Twenty minutes later, we're at Ricky and Ronnies, where Ian gets his Breakfast in America, a long stack of eight pancakes and a side of bacon, and a platinum blonde waitress with a tight, low-cut front who seems to like to bend forward. A lot.

All is well as we exit the place, driving past a gaggle of Porsches that appear to be assembling for a drive-in car show later in the day.

Titanium Dome
09-02-2007, 04:37 PM
I took Ian on a whirlwind trek through the southern portion of the Palos Verdes Peninsula. I think he got a lot of shots. We briefly stopped at Friendship Park for the view of the entire LA/LB harbor all the way to Long Beach; the Wayfarer's Chapel, where a wedding was in progress (my daughter was married there last December); and the Korean Friendship Bell at Angels' Gate Park in old Fort MacArthur. He got to see a wonderful part of greater Los Angeles that most visitors never see.

Titanium Dome
09-02-2007, 04:38 PM
We stopped in briefly for some cooler air and a quick listen-up with a few of my JBL systems. First up were the S2600s, playing Neil Young's 48/24 "Prairie Wind" followed by a little more intense session with the Performance Series 7.1 set up.

On the Performance playlist:
Beatles "LOVE" in 7.1 pass through
Telarc/Kunzel/Cincinnati Pops "Time Warp" in digital stereo
Ray Charles "Genius Loves Company" Monster THX DTS 96/24 SuperDisc in 5.1 surround

On our way out through the dungeon/garage, we hit a few notes on the L250s, XPL200s, L7s, and SVA2100s. Not a fair sampling really, but he did hear the power of the Hafler Trans•ana/Trans•nova amps pumping out The KLF's "The White Room."

I think the S2600s won him over. He appeared to like the Performance Series, though he was being polite. The dungeon session wasn't much to go on about, except, he'd like to borrow a Hafler or two. ;)

grumpy
09-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Thanks for organizing this, Doug. It was indeed a pleasure to see
familiar faces as well as to meet new ones. :applaud: -grumpy

Titanium Dome
09-02-2007, 05:32 PM
It was a bloody hot day, but a number of us made it through the heat (even 90 at the beach) to the air conditioned comfort of Gladstone's in Long Beach. I stood outside with a Lansing Heritage sign, like some street hustler, and eventually we gathered

Steve
Ian
Dave (grumpy)
Glen
Todd (toddalin)
Ken (edgewound)
Debbie (Magnet3)
Doug (Titanium Dome)

We got some spinach and artichoke dip, calimari, and I introduced Ian to the Long Beach Lemonade :cheers: and to the iceberg wedge salad.

After we ordered dinner, conversation flowed around the table, as did my camera lens.

Dave and Glen:

Titanium Dome
09-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Steve makes a point:

Titanium Dome
09-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Debbie looks polite while Ken looks pained after one of Steve's jokes.

(Sorry about cutting you off, Ken, but wait 'til you see what I did to Todd.)

Titanium Dome
09-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Okay, let's catch the guest of honor in a candid shot, shall we? He's had a one-hour catnap in a 30-hour period, and he hasn't had proper time to refresh himself from his trip. But do we care? Hey, Ian, look over here!

(Sorry Todd, all I got was the back of your head.):o:

Titanium Dome
09-02-2007, 05:49 PM
I don't have any photos with me in them, thankfully. However, Ken and Ian both had cameras, and the waitress took a couple of group shots, so maybe we'll see them posted here. :yes:

All in all, it was a great time to meet some of the quality people that make up the LH family. I remarked to Ian how impossible it would be for all of us to be getting together under any other circumstance, whether from SoCal, Australia, or wherever, without the common bond of LH to join us.

We really do get several great benefits as members of this site, but the one that means the most to me is the connection to terrific people from all over the world (and even in my own back yard).

That's another heritage Jim Lansing could be proud of.

toddalin
09-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Yes, it was a lot of fun as was the museum tour. :applaud:

Edgewound, this is the tan '64 after the restification.

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/DSC_0001.jpg

edgewound
09-02-2007, 10:55 PM
Yes, it was a lot of fun as was the museum tour. :applaud:

Edgewound, this is the tan '64 after the restification.

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/DSC_0001.jpg

OMG...Todd! That looks...well...expensive to say the least. What a nice diversion from JBL stuff. Another American Icon.

Nice. We should go to some cruise events. Though I don't think my 'bird can touch your 'Vette.

edgewound
09-02-2007, 11:01 PM
Have you ever seen a more sophisticated group of Lansi-philes? It was fun to meet familiar monikers for the first time and meet up again with others. There was some great conversation over appetizers and dinner. Too brief indeed.

Clockwise from left...Dave(grumpy), Glen, Steve Schell, Debbie(my wife, Magnet3), Ken(edgewound), Doug(TiDome), Ian, and Todd.

edgewound
09-02-2007, 11:08 PM
As Ian listen's intently it looks as if Magnet3 is taking issue with Steve's historical account of an early Altec horn.

edgewound
09-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Magnet3 says, "Now that's more like it"...as Steve demonstrates one on the many other uses for the early Altec multi-cell horn. Ian is clearly interested by this new found use.

Who says we Lansi-philes don't have fun and a sense of humor?

edgewound
09-02-2007, 11:27 PM
TiDome...thanks for arranging this get together. It was far too brief.

Steve...thanks for opening up your home and incredible Lansing museum for us to peruse. Your knowledge of all things Lansing/Vintage audio history has to be unmatched...and you are quite the gentleman.

Ian...It was our pleasure to finally meet you after so many posts and PM's on the the forum. We hope to be able to spend more time with you again. Maybe in your home town(?) where you drive on the wrong side of the road:p:).

Be safe on the rest of your meet and greet journey, my friend.

richluvsound
09-03-2007, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the postings guy's .
Your hospitality has raised the bar somewhat
!!!!.

8 pancakes:applaud: With Maple Syrup and Butter I hope ? Nice car too .

L.A. looks beautiful. I'll have to put on list of "must see"

Thanks again, Rich

boputnam
09-03-2007, 01:44 AM
Mostly in order...

The Quantas Delivery Vehicle...

Doug, standing on the ready for the "Eight Stack"

The luncheon in Berkeley - The Zilch Emporium Gurus...

The QM, docked, awaiting refurbishing of a complete set of JBL 43xx-series. Rumor has it, the Altec's were all ripped out - check with Ian on this lore... :)

boputnam
09-03-2007, 01:46 AM
L.A. looks beautiful. I'll have to put on list of "must see"Dood...

You are confusing beauty with being obscured by fog - London can be plenty beauty, too. LA get's shrouded in smog - it's own special blend... :(

Titanium Dome
09-03-2007, 02:11 AM
Have you ever seen a more sophisticated group of Lansi-philes? It was fun to meet familiar monikers for the first time and meet up again with others. There was some great conversation over appetizers and dinner. Too brief indeed.

Clockwise from left...Dave(grumpy), Glen, Steve Schell, Debbie(my wife, Magnet3), Ken(edgewound), Doug(TiDome), Ian, and Todd.

It's curious that the only clean-shaven faces are Ian's and... Debbie's, though I'm in no way implying she shaves! What a bunch of hoary-faced men we are.

Titanium Dome
09-03-2007, 02:19 AM
It looks like the Zilch group is 60/40 facial hair to clean-shaven, if Ian is factored out. Can't count him twice, you know.

Ah, now there's a new bone of contention for the Forums. :p

Or perhaps Ian will usher in a new age of razors and shavers, with daily stubble removal a hygienic regimen for all members.

:no: Kinda doubt it. :no:

edgewound
09-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Dood...

You are confusing beauty with being obscured by fog - London can be plenty beauty, too. LA get's shrouded in smog - it's own special blend... :(

Well, Bo...at least we remain responsible custodians of our smog. You Bay Area dudes ship yours up to Tehachapi.;):p

Steve Schell
09-03-2007, 03:00 PM
It was great having Ian here during his all too brief visit. He is a fascinating fellow and a true gentleman.

Great fun also getting together with the LH brigade and dragging them through the Lansing Heritage Museum and Sweat Lodge. Everyone hung in for the extended history of the Lansing and Altec Lansing 800Hz. horns, despite it being about 90 degrees in the house.

Thanks to Titanium Dome are in order for organizing the day and making the meal reservation; super choice as usual.

glen
09-03-2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks to Titanium Dome are in order for organizing the day :applaud:
Seconded!!
Thank you Doug for pulling this together!
Thanks Ian for gracing us with you entertaining and enlightening prescence.
Thanks to Steve for a great recap of the evolution of the Lansing horns and the antique/avant-garde audio demos.
And a big thanks to everyone who came out and made Ian's visit such an enjoyable event!

Ian Mackenzie
09-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Done and seen amazing things in just a few days..

Thankyou Lansing friends

Ian

Titanium Dome
09-05-2007, 09:32 AM
Done and seen amazing things in just a few days..

Thankyou Lansing friends

Ian

Oh, now you've done it! List, please, and what was the most amazing? :applaud:

saeman
09-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Ian should be half way to New York by now. His visit here was short and the time blew by like the blink of an eye.

We started about 10:30 am at my place with the near coincident arrival of Ian and Clark from Peoria at the same time. Drinking a bottle of cold Stout on the patio right after finishing my morning coffee was not my original plan but when Clark opened his cooler and made the offer, nobody refused.

I won't call our get together an official LHS meeting since there were just the 3 of us, but we did talk about forum topics and of course a lot of JBL. We spent most of the time listening to music on my rudimentary and somewhat temporary system setup. I still have not put the finishing touches on my music room but we all had a place to sit. Bi-amped 4345's on my main system and some tunes on my surround system with 4344's up front, 4313's on the side and my 4341's pulling up the rear. Maybe if Ian's visit would have been a month or two later I might have had a chance to be more permanantly set up. We made the best of the event.

I left Clark and Ian to their own resources for a while after receiving a call from school asking that I come there and pick up my damaged son - a soccer related ankle injury. When I returned they were both sitting where I left them - engulfed in serious JBL conversation.

We had a late dinner at a restaurant close by along with a few more drinks and then we were back to music and more conversation. My wife joined us for dinner but refrained from all of the JBL talk that followed. I think Clark left for his return drive to Peoria about 12:30 am so he paid his dues and then had a long drive back home. Ian and I were both struggling to stay awake and we called it a day shortly after that. Ian and I had coffee this morning, with a few parting reminders and he was off in a rush and in fear of missing his plane. We could well have spent the rest of the day talking more.

Guys, I hope you had a good time as it was surely a pleasure for me to host you for the day. Besides the music, booze and food we spent some time in my dust bowl garage looking over some of my current projects. Ian - I hope that you came away with a few construction ideas for your next project - vennering is easy so don't be intimidated.

Rick

P.S. Rich - your 1/4-20 screws are on their way - hand delivered by Ian upon his arrival in London - Cheers!!

richluvsound
09-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Hey Maestro,
the poor guy must be knackered. He'll sleep for 2 days when he gets here.
Around the world in 4345's. What are you using to bi-amp your puppies ?
Makes me feel better knowing you prefer the 4345's over anything else you might have just kicking around.

Say hi to Donna for me .

thanks again, Rich

saeman
09-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Rich:

As Ian will confirm, my listening area is quite cluttered right now. The 4344's are sitting partially in front of the 45's and somewhat blocking what they're trying to produce. Since I only recently put them into service I have done nothing to optimize their performance. I had amps in place to run my 4350's and 4351 verticals so I just changed the x-over point to 290 and let them run. No Krells in my inventory, just old vintage SAE, MAC and some tubes from time to time. Am currently running them on 200 wpc on the hi end and 300 on the low side. I will eventually go back to tubes on top and solid state for the 2245H. All in good time as I am getting close to finishing off my room. If I could leave new construction alone (ha!!!) I would have more than enough time for paint, carpet and fine tuning.

I'll see if I can find a couple pics to show you what I'm talking about.

Ian and I did have a small glass of Balvinie at the end of the evening but neither of us had enough steam left to have a second.

Rick

saeman
09-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Makes me feel better knowing you prefer the 4345's over anything else you might have just kicking around.

Whoa there Sir Richard and hold the presses! I never said that I preferred the 4345 to anything else I have or have had. History - I owned a pair of 45's years back and sold them, maybe about 6 years ago. They were sitting unused and I was busy with work and new busssiness. Seemed like a good choice at the time but I eventually regretted selling them. I now have a pair again and I've tried to make them as good as possible without throwing stupid amounts of money into the project.

They are great and better than I remember my other pair to be - but (and I just said this to Ian last night) there will always be a place in my stable for a double woofer pair sporting a 12" mid-base and a 2" throat killer mid range driver. I also told him that the 2122H was one of the most impressive mid base drivers that I have ever listened to - so when adding the 18" woofer to that equation there's no doubt that the 4345 is a superior performer.

I think, since I'm a nice guy and all that kind of crap, that I should be entitled to own both.

Have fun with your London blowout and remember to fill all of us in on the details.

Rick

Ian Mackenzie
09-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Rich,

The first 2 days were stretching...but I'm fine.

Off to sample New Yorks finest!

Ian

Hey Maestro,
the poor guy must be knackered. He'll sleep for 2 days when he gets here.
Around the world in 4345's. What are you using to bi-amp your puppies ?

Say hi to Donna for me .

thanks again, Rich

saeman
09-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Ian:

I see that you have made it to NY. Hope you were able to close your eyes for a few minutes on the flight.

Here's one of the pics we took last night. Everyone will see that beards were in the minority last night - as were sparsely populated heads.

Rick

boputnam
09-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Drinking a bottle of cold Stout on the patio right after finishing my morning coffee was not my original plan but when Clark opened his cooler and made the offer, nobody refused.Ha! Good one. Nice Australian etiquette - beer before breakfast... :p

Ian and I were both struggling to stay awake and we called it a day shortly after that.Yea, we got to that point, too. It was hard to switch it all off, though - but, morning flight times suggested it was a good idea...

I will eventually go back to tubes on top and solid state for the 2245H. I have not done this, and should. I'm running with QSC CX-series, and find them really excellent - not lacking in any respect. But still, it should be tried...

I never said that I preferred the 4345 to anything else I have or have had. History - I owned a pair of 45's years back and sold them, maybe about 6 years ago. They were sitting unused and I was busy...Dammit, Rick! :bash:

Seemed like a good choice at the time but I ... regretted selling them. :scold:

... just said this to Ian last night) there will always be a place in my stable for a double woofer pair sporting a 12" mid-base and a 2" throat killer mid range driver. :rotfl:

Great tour update - kinda like tracking a hurricane...

Nice picture!

I'm in London now, but not sure I can get to Rich's - business is completely overwhelming pleasure. Bummer... The Tube strike has finished - it is easier to move about, so we shall see...

saeman
09-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Hi Bo:

If you're now in London you have to make the event!!!!!!! Put your thinking cap on and make it happen.

Rick :bouncy:

Ian Mackenzie
09-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Ha! Good one. Nice Australian etiquette - beer before breakfast... :p

Yea, we got to that point, too. It was hard to switch it all off, though - but, morning flight times suggested it was a good idea...

I have not done this, and should. I'm running with QSC CX-series, and find them really excellent - not lacking in any respect. But still, it should be tried...

Dammit, Rick! :bash:

:scold:

:rotfl:

Great tour update - kinda like tracking a hurricane...

Nice picture!

I'm in London now, but not sure I can get to Rich's - business is completely overwhelming pleasure. Bummer... The Tube strike has finished - it is easier to move about, so we shall see...

Sorry,,

I was a bit rough around the edges in that shot..lagged out and it takes a few days and few late nights to function properly.

Magnet3 nows....I was a bit tired on Saturday but I enjoyed the gathering!

There is a taxi strike in NY tomorrow..I am not sure about Friday.......so I will use the Subway or the Bus....

Ian Mackenzie
09-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Whoa there Sir Richard and hold the presses! I never said that I preferred the 4345 to anything else I have or have had.

They are great and better than I remember my other pair to be - but (and I just said this to Ian last night) there will always be a place in my stable for a double woofer pair sporting a 12" mid-base and a 2" throat killer mid range driver. I also told him that the 2122H was one of the most impressive mid base drivers that I have ever listened to - so when adding the 18" woofer to that equation there's no doubt that the 4345 is a superior performer.

I think, since I'm a nice guy and all that kind of crap, that I should be entitled to own both.

Have fun with your London blowout and remember to fill all of us in on the details.

Rick

Rick has all of them..damn......so I guess he can pick and choose.

But it think seeing it all in person now tells me ( as I know only so well) its not about what you think is the best but the journey and what you happen to love you at the time.
In Rick's case the workmanship is surreal......and his capabilities are recognised around the 4 corners of the Globe.

I could spend all day just looking at them and not bother turning it on!

Ian

richluvsound
09-06-2007, 04:13 AM
hey bo ,

I can meet you in town or you can come out to mine for dinner. I'm only 20 mins from the centre of London. 0207 358 8268 or 07930320119

Rich

boputnam
09-06-2007, 05:35 AM
If you're now in London you have to make the event!!!!!!! Put your thinking cap on and make it happen.Hi, Rick...

I desperately want to, and it was the plan - er, that is my plan. Work has changed it's agenda, and I'm not sure what time is "free" anymore. Days are chockerblock and merge into dinners and late-nights. Good for my dayjob, but not for my hobby! :(

I'm only 20 mins from the centre of London.Hey, Rich!

I know - I pre-studied the google maps. Got it. The only time right now might be tomorrow morning (bad idea), or possibly the 14th in the afternoon as I come back through the UK to connect with flights departing LHR for the US.

I'll ring through, today. :)

richluvsound
09-06-2007, 05:57 AM
bo,

I'm on site in the morning. The 14th is when Guido gets in to HRL Ian and I are going to meet him. then on to meet Merlin and his crappy TAD thingy's . Going for a curry in Windsor. And, back to mine where Guido can work all night on the CC networks.......... Cus it's all his fault anyway. :D

seriously though, perhaps you,me and Ian could meet .

If not, next time ! Rich

PS, thanks for bringing the sun

boputnam
09-06-2007, 08:40 AM
PS, thanks for bringing the sunAnd, the end to the Tube strike! :p

hjames
09-06-2007, 08:58 AM
And, the end to the Tube strike! :p

A Tubes Strike??
Who knew they were on strike?
Ah, that Fey Waybill - what a character!

Ian Mackenzie
09-06-2007, 07:39 PM
I have a USB card reader with me so we maybe able to upload a few images of my travels in NY over the weekend.

Tomorrow will be a relaxing morning with a walk in Central Park and a visit to Coney Island in the afternoon.

Ian

saeman
09-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Tomorrow will be a relaxing morning with a walk in Central Park and a visit to Coney Island in the afternoon.

Ian

A walk in Central Park! There's no JBL's in Central Park! Only muggers and beggers, and maybe a few long hair 60's burn-outs.

:bouncy:

Fred Sanford
09-07-2007, 03:32 AM
Central Park is surrounded (on three sides, at least) by dozens of $100,000.00+ AV systems that I've designed & installed. I can recommend some lovely places to visit on 5th, CPW, and CPS/W59th, but I don't have security clearance anymore...you'd be on your own there. :D

je

Ian Mackenzie
09-07-2007, 04:39 AM
Rick

You would probably find most of the NY apartment dwellers have smaller Hi end systems populated by Passlabs Alephs which double as foot warmers in the winter. Where would they put a 4350? (according to Stereophile magazine).

I mean anyone who can afforded or be fortunate enough to own a $5mil+ apartment can afford to pick and choose.

I did notice some single bedroom apartments in a development over in Brooklyn last night going for $250K. I intend to check that out!

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
09-07-2007, 04:41 AM
A walk in Central Park! There's no JBL's in Central Park! Only muggers and beggers, and maybe a few long hair 60's burn-outs.

:bouncy:

If you enter from the north end (Harlem....which is not recommended!)

Ian Mackenzie
09-07-2007, 04:46 AM
About moving around it is far more difficult to do it on the fly.

Unforseen events , local conditions and events make any unplanned arrangements at best awkward.

Ian

Hofmannhp
09-07-2007, 05:38 AM
thanks Ian for your trip expressions......highly appreciated.

BTW: I want to wish you a very Happy Birthday .

What a happy guy to celebrate his birthday in NY during holidays.

all the best

HP

saeman
09-07-2007, 06:50 AM
Rick

You would probably find most of the NY apartment dwellers have smaller Hi end systems populated by Passlabs Alephs which double as foot warmers in the winter. Where would they put a 4350? (according to Stereophile magazine).

I mean anyone who can afforded or be fortunate enough to own a $5mil+ apartment can afford to pick and choose.

I did notice some single bedroom apartments in a development over in Brooklyn last night going for $250K. I intend to check that out!

Ian

Hi Ian:

Happy Birthday!!! and lighten up - I was only pulling your chain about your walk thru the park (with or without shoes?)

Ducatista47
09-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Guys, I hope you had a good time as it was surely a pleasure for me to host you for the day. Besides the music, booze and food we spent some time in my dust bowl garage looking over some of my current projects. Ian - I hope that you came away with a few construction ideas for your next project - vennering is easy so don't be intimidated.

Rick

Well, being neither the host nor the guest of honor, I have been hesitant to post a secondary report of the Chicago area meeting with Ian and Rick, but I really want to tell everyone what a great time I had with these two extraordinary gentleman. It was a pleasure indeed for me.

Rick and Ian are, without qualification, two great guys. I had a blast, one of the best days of my life. I listened and observed as attentively as my fatigued state would allow, for while I pick poor Ian's brain with some regularity, I had never met either before in person.

Rick is, to understate it, an awesome builder. He doesn't just do things, he has it figured out. Whatever he showed us, I can honestly say, "I know how to do that now." Rick, like Ian, is completely generous with his knowledge. And what knowledge! With no exaggeration I declare Rick a Master Builder. He is also a master host and friend.

I should point out that the photograph Rick posted looks a little dire and stiff because it was a five second time exposure. Imagine posing for a Daguerreotype and you see the situation. With no antique neck braces available, we had to settle into the best lean and most neutral expressions we could muster. At no other time were we less than totally animated with the excitement of the day.

Having given the host his due, I must repeat how wonderful it is to finally know Ian in person. As I have told him, I wish he lived across the road instead of across the world.

Glad you guys liked the Lion Stout and the Gjetost cheese. I'll try and bring some more next time, Rick.

Clark

saeman
09-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Hi Clark and thanks for the kind words.

It was my pleasure to have you visit and I'm glad that you enjoyed the time spent. One day was not enough time and I'm sure we could have gone into the wee hours had you not such a long drive home.

I was quite pleased that Ian chose to make a short stop over in the Chicago area. He and I have only talked via the forum and it was truely my pleasure to finally meet him. I hope that our brief meeting will foster a continued and more frequent dialog and a long term friendship. It's too bad we didn't have another day as I too needed to pick his brain and there were some wood topics that I felt I could have helped him with.

Like other hobbies that I have had in my life, this JBL affliction of mine has introduced me to many many people, from all walks of life, from all over the world, who all share the same passion. I have a lot of people I call friends who I would have never met otherwise. As I told both you and Ian, building and listening to these systems is only half of the equation for me - the other half is sharing the knowledge and enjoyment with others who have the same interest. Having said that, you and Ian are always welcome and I hope to see you both again in the future. Until that day we can occupy ourselves with PM's and phone calls.

You give me too much credit as I'm just a regular guy. The forum is loaded with mad scientists of all disciplines who are constantly raising the bar and sharing their knowledge. If all of this stops I believe the forum will stop too.

When Ian returns home and has a chance to digest his entire trip, let's see what his impressions are. He spend a ton of money on his world wind JBL tour and I hope that each stop that he made was rewarding for him - good beer, good music, friendship and the desire to do it all over again.

See Ya - Rick

Ian Mackenzie
09-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Hi Rick,

Yes it was not long enough but we had a great time.

It was a terrific day and I enjoyed your hospitality.

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
09-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Now that the body clock in is the right time zone I will post more pics here soon including Breakfast in LA, Dougs tour of LA and Steve Schell's Lansing Museum.....not to mention Edgewound and Magnet3

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
09-20-2007, 03:02 AM

Twenty minutes later, we're at Ricky and Ronnies, where Ian gets his Breakfast in America, a long stack of eight pancakes and a side of bacon, and a platinum blonde waitress with a tight, low-cut front who seems to like to bend forward. A lot.

All is well as we exit the place, driving past a gaggle of Porsches that appear to be assembling for a drive-in car show later in the day.

Ricky and Ronnies was my first taste of LA culture.

I actually had trouble figuring out how to order.

What was a "long stack" and all the side options. (we don't have these side options at home). I also found out what a wedgy is...LOL.

It was all good fun and gave me a boost for the rest of the day ahead!

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
09-20-2007, 03:16 AM
I took Ian on a whirlwind trek through the southern portion of the Palos Verdes Peninsula. I think he got a lot of shots. We briefly stopped at Friendship Park for the view of the entire LA/LB harbor all the way to Long Beach; the Wayfarer's Chapel, where a wedding was in progress (my daughter was married there last December); and the Korean Friendship Bell at Angels' Gate Park in old Fort MacArthur. He got to see a wonderful part of greater Los Angeles that most visitors never see.

I must say Doug did a great job of showing me around.

The view and great and his narrative of the area was quite insightful.

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
09-20-2007, 03:31 AM
It was a bloody hot day, but a number of us made it through the heat (even 90 at the beach) to the air conditioned comfort of Gladstone's in Long Beach. I stood outside with a Lansing Heritage sign, like some street hustler, and eventually we gathered

Steve
Ian
Dave (grumpy)
Glen
Todd (toddalin)
Ken (edgewound)
Debbie (Magnet3)
Doug (Titanium Dome)

We got some spinach and artichoke dip, calimari, and I introduced Ian to the Long Beach Lemonade :cheers: and to the iceberg wedge salad.

After we ordered dinner, conversation flowed around the table, as did my camera lens.

Dave and Glen:

Well this was my first encounter with the LA Lansing Crew.

What a nice bunch of people. My impresions were the boys were decidedly conservative or reserved at least up until when Debbie and Ken arrived.

Ian Mackenzie
09-20-2007, 03:50 AM
I have just been looking back at the earlier posts of our gathering at Steve Schell's home.

Earlier in the afternoon when I arrived I was simply blown away by Steve's wealth of knowledge on the earlier years of Lansing. As we talked and look at various Altec components stored throughout Steve's home it was as though I was swept back time while Steve articulated the history of Lansing and James B. Lansing's career in those early years.

Here we have a rare early pair of duplex drivers and the smaller Iconic. Steve fired it up and we all mighty impressed with the sound quality. It had warm tone and the bass conveyed a much large system for its size.

Ian Mackenzie
09-20-2007, 11:54 AM
We stopped in briefly for some cooler air and a quick listen-up with a few of my JBL systems. First up were the S2600s, playing Neil Young's 48/24 "Prairie Wind" followed by a little more intense session with the Performance Series 7.1 set up.

On the Performance playlist:
Beatles "LOVE" in 7.1 pass through
Telarc/Kunzel/Cincinnati Pops "Time Warp" in digital stereo
Ray Charles "Genius Loves Company" Monster THX DTS 96/24 SuperDisc in 5.1 surround

On our way out through the dungeon/garage, we hit a few notes on the L250s, XPL200s, L7s, and SVA2100s. Not a fair sampling really, but he did hear the power of the Hafler Trans•ana/Trans•nova amps pumping out The KLF's "The White Room."

I think the S2600s won him over. He appeared to like the Performance Series, though he was being polite. The dungeon session wasn't much to go on about, except, he'd like to borrow a Hafler or two. ;)

I have come back to this audio commentry as I have posting on a discussion on the Two way home thread thread.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=186069&postcount=75

Pehaps Doug elaborate more on his wall of JBL sound.

Below we have Bo and his wife Suz.

Ian

JBL 4645
09-22-2007, 07:25 AM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=28401&stc=1&d=1190283316

Ian

Nice assorted use of pictures there I did notice one practical locution that was used in sleeper back in 1995 “The Usual Suspects” as pictured here.:D

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee18/DemolitionMan3417/TheUsualSuspects2.jpg

Ian Mackenzie
09-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Something I nearly overlooked was Steve Schell's incredible horn based speaker system.

Here is the story.

When I arrived I could not just carry my bag in the front door. We had to lift it over what I discovered was part of one of Steve's bass horns.

Steve's horn system is floor to ceiling..its is enormous (WAF??) and it is a big sound. Even with 1.5 watts of SE Valve amplification.

The horn drivers and the horns are Steve and his partner Rich own design... Cogent drivers.

The are based on the original field coil drivers developed by Bell labs (hope I am right on this history). A lot of what we know of as compression driver design is based on this pioneering work. I feel very fortunate to have spent the afternoon with Steve and to discover some of this rare audio history.

Steve and Rich have spent a good while getting the design right. The backyard has some interesting conversation peices scattered around it....

During the afternoon Steve explained the whole story behind the field coil compression drivers. It was facinating. The machining of the phase plug is for example quite unique. There is also a Cogent bass compression driver. I will let Steve elaborate more on the actual details.

Later in the evening Steve played his system and I was surprised how much sound you can get from just 1.5 watts!! People talk about loudspeaker sensitivty. I mean Hello. Steve was not biamping with the DEQX on this occassion.

I think he wanted the purest signal path from his DIY SE power amps that had 45 volt battery bias (5 x nine volt batteries in series..very quiet). They sounded really nice. Very clean with a natural purity you only get with SE amplification.

This came though with the fine resolving power of transients. No power compression with these horns.

Biamping would probably help on loud bass passages but what the heck. Valves have that certain magic.

As they say if it don't Glow it Don't Go.

The mid range horn was what I fell in love with. Sorry Customs at the Airport would have a field day..excuse the pun. They are a large white conical horn with the massive (BIG) Cogent driver on the rear. It looked like the Crown jewels...large and expensive!

The horn and driver operates from about 300 hertz to 13 kertz. No that is not a mis print. It sounded rich, pure and very dynamic.

I hope Steve can post some pics. A visit to Long Beach is not complete without hearing Steve's horn system and the Cogent drivers!

Ian

Steve Schell
09-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Wow Ian, thank you for the nice comments. What you heard was not quite the full-on Cogent system, as we weren't running the DS-1448 bass compression drivers on J style midbass horns. Instead, that part of the spectrum was handled by my old 35Hz. corner horns, the same ones I was hawking on these forums several months ago. Big horns, even ones that work, are a tough sell!

In the pictures, the tall "What the hell is that" device in the middle is our 15Hz. exponential flare horn subwoofer, running up to 40Hz. The corner horns cover 40Hz. to 300Hz., then a pair of Cogent DS-1428 midrange/high frequency drivers on (basically) conical flare midrange horns run from 300Hz. on up. My 45 SE DHT amp runs the two way systems, and a 60W solid scrape amp is driving the sub.

Yeah, the 45 amp really folded on the Bass Outlaws track. This amp does fine for all my daily listening, but runs out of gas on really bass heavy demo material when cranked up. I'm sure a 40Hz. high pass filter on this amp's input would help. What I need is a 10W amp that sounds as good as the 45 does when delivering a few milliwatts. I'm still looking...

My reference to the Bell Labs Fletcher Horn System concerned their use of a true bass compression driver (20" aluminum diaphragm!) on long exponential horn to provide response down to 50Hz. Sure wish we could hear one of those; it was the world's first high output, low distortion, wide band loudspeaker, capable of believable reproduction of a symphony orchestra for a live audience in a large hall. IMO a bass compression driver offers the ultimate in clear, dynamic, articulate sound through the bass region; I discovered this upon hearing an ALE system four years ago. Next time you visit I promise to have our DS-1448 drivers running on J style midbass horns.

I am always a bit nervous when we fly someplace and check our drivers in as baggage. To most people these 38 and 47lb. drivers would look like mortar shells disguised as land mines. Every time we reach our destination the boxes contain a slip of paper indicating that they were inspected by Homeland Security. It is actually unsettling to imagine their conversation... "Earl, have a look at this thing... what do you think?" "Oh, I dunno, it looks okay to me."

Any local Lansing Heritage folks who want to have a listen to my system are welcome here anytime- just shoot me a PM.

Ian Mackenzie
09-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Nice way to finish off the thread Steve.

Ian