PDA

View Full Version : TEF 25

1audiohack
07-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Hi everyone;

Wow I have learned a lot in the short time I have spent here, how to re-phram my 2404's, and 2425's and buzz check center them, done. Re-cone advise for the 2123's, still afraid of that one, coming soon though, enclosure size for 2226 as a mid bass, done. Thank you for that.

I have what could fairly be described as maniac sound system for home, and believe I could bennefit with a more sophisticated measurement system. Four way active, and the UHF's on 3106's, dial in has become fairly daunting, and I want all it has to give, and learn what it can teach me. If nothing else it would be educational!

I am seriously looking at the TEF 25 with the Easy Tune small room software.

This would replace a couple of flat mic's, frequency generator, mic pre-amp with Vu's a scope, and all those test CD's currently used.

Does anyone have one of these, or experience with one? They have been out about what, two years now?

The investment is reasonable considering the investment in other equipment.

Thank you all,
1audiohack.

Andyoz
07-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Also have a look at EASERA.

http://www.renkus-heinz.com/easera/index.html

Excellent value for money IMO.

1audiohack
07-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Thank you Andyoz;

Do you have EASERA, and or experience with it?

It appears they are comparable in capability, quite different in execution, and in the end similar in cost.

I see member subwoof is looking for TEF 20 software on 03/20/2007.

If anyone with experience with any of these systems can help me navigate the sales propaganda I surely would appreciate the input.

Thank you,
1audiohack.

Andyoz
07-23-2007, 05:40 AM
Sorry, I haven't had time to look at exactly what TEF25 does to compare with EASERA. I was impressed with the brief look at their website I did.

We use EASERA within our consultancy for two main things:

i) To measure room acoustics parameters such as RT, EDT, C80, etc. (that's mostly what I do).

ii) Others in the company use it for sound system work to measure STI and all sorts of things that I don't fully understand to be honest.

The one thing I like about it is you do not have to use any proprietary hardware with it. Most decent USB soundcards will work and they have checked out most of the main ones and given them a "rating" so you know which to avoid, etc. They also provide an option to buy their own soundcard which was developed in conjunction with PreSonos http://www.renkus-heinz.com/easera/EaseraGateway.html. I have done that as I haven't got time to bugger around with the tweaks that some of the other soundcards may require. Having said that, when we ran their free 30-day demo a while back I was getting useful data within about 5 mins using an existing Edirol UA-25 soundcard I had kicking around (a middle of the road unit in every respect!!)

Also, we are more than happy with the "non-pro" version that is considerably cheaper than the pro version. The pro version does have options that the serious sound system guys may want (I'm talking fully fledged sound system contractors/designers) but that's not what we need.

So basically, for US$1,275 you get the software, and external soundcard. You just need a decent mic (we use Bruel & Kjaer) and a laptop of course. I have been in the game for 15 years and the thought of getting this sort of analysis power for that sort of money back then was unthinkable.

1audiohack
07-23-2007, 07:02 PM
That is exactly the type of information / help I need.

I will make a study of EASERA, and I'll let you know what I end up with.

Truly, thank you,
1audiohack.

Zilch
07-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Look at CLIO also, maybe.

There's an economy "Lite" version:

http://www.audiomatica.com/

Andyoz
07-24-2007, 02:13 AM
Yes CLIO is good as well from what I have seen.

I meant to say that the pricing of EASERA is a bit confusing at first, see here: https://www.renkus-heinz.com/easera/purchase/purchase.html

Note that the "standard" versions do not include TDS-TEF which is a US$900 option. Also, the MLS option is the same price so it does add up if you want it to do everything. I never use MLS. The TDS-TEF would be handy but I can live without it for my work. That's why EASERA is attractive as you only pay for what you need. Other "all-in" packages may be better overall value when all this is taken into account though.

1audiohack
11-19-2007, 10:02 AM
Allllrighty then;

I ended up with TEF 25, with TDS, RTA, SLX, and MLS.

Purchased as a kit, the software comes discounted, and the prices are better on the phone than on the website.

All I did was read over the week end, and hope to do something meaningful with it this long weekend.

After looking at CLIO, and EASRA it seems in the end, the prices are similar, the capabilities also, the deciding factor for me was made in the USA. And if / when I need to talk to someone, the majority of the staff is close to my time zone.

Thank you for the input, well, into a whole new world I go!:D

If anyone is interested, I'll let you know how it works out.

Shackr
02-13-2008, 12:37 PM
How is that TEF 25 working for you?

1audiohack
02-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Hey Shackr;

The short answer is its great.

I could go on and on about what I have learned with it, and will gladly answer anything you wish, if I can. There is much to learn and I am still on the bottom of the curve.

Do you have one?