PDA

View Full Version : 2nd LHS Meeting in Deutschland - 8/3/2007

saeman
07-18-2007, 03:03 PM
The first meeting in Jan 2007 was considered by all attendees to be a 110% success. The only issues discussed were that everyone there wished we had more time and we all regretted that some could not make the event. Thanks to HP there was no shortage of booze and good music.

Although this is short notice, HP and I have decided to announce our intentions to have another LHS Germany meeting - somewhere in the Frankfurt area. HP will decide the exact location when he can determine how many might be able to come. The date is August 3rd - Firday afternoon/evening.

I am making a trip to Germany with my wife - a trip we put off the past two summers due to business obligations. I bought the tickets 3 months ago thinking that if I did we would not easily back out. This is my wife's vacation but it won't hurt to get a little JBL time in during the trip. We will be visiting with HP and Angelica the last two days there so this is where the meeting idea came from.

I know that this short notice will make it hard for some to attend but see what you can do - guanarteed good time!!!

Last time attendees were HP, Florian, Guido, Hansjuergen, Eckhard, Claus and me. This time Rich will come over from London (richluvsound) and maybe we can get a few of the local guys who missed out last time.

Check your calender and see what's possible. You can post your condolences or your intention to attend here on this thread and also send HP a PM so he can get a tally.

Auf Wiedersehen - Rick

Hofmannhp
07-20-2007, 01:47 AM
Hi Rick,

no feedback till now.....guess we both may kill the Asbach bottle.

HP

richluvsound
07-20-2007, 02:37 AM
HP,

can you send some more details. Local hotels , nearest airport,
etc,

Has Guido been informed ?

Rich

Guido
07-20-2007, 03:36 AM
I'm in! Details per PM

edgewound
07-20-2007, 02:20 PM
My wife Magnet3 and I were just in Frankfurt for the first and last days of our European honeymoon...and interestingly enough, Aug 3 is my birthday....but my condolences.

My travel budget is since killed for this year...but damn that sounds like fun. German beer is the best....and so are the trains.

BTW...the InterContinental Hotel is the 5 star hotel listed on Hotwire.com in Frankfurt. We paid $105.00usd the first night before we were off to Venice, Rome, Florence, Paris and back to Frankfurt... and $160.00usd the on our return back to depart home for the US. It's within walking distance of the Frankfurt Hbf main train station.

saeman
07-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Hi Guido:

Looking forward to seeing you again. Will it be Irish Whiskey again or should we tame it down a bit and drink the single malt Rich will be bringing. No 4:30 am this time for me as my plane leaves the runway at 8:30.

See Ya - Rick

richluvsound
07-20-2007, 10:04 PM
German beer is the best....

Edgewound,

that ain't beer , it's bloody dish water. Come to England where only Grannies drink lager. The trains do suck though !!! and so do the reconers.
Rich

Rolf
07-21-2007, 11:41 PM
Maybe I can make it this time, if you want a visitor from Norway. Tell me more ...

Rolf

Hofmannhp
07-22-2007, 02:00 AM
Maybe I can make it this time, if you want a visitor from Norway. Tell me more ...

Rolf

:applaud::applaud::bouncy::bouncy: ...ok Rolf, we start 3rd of Aug at about 3 to 5 pm.
If you need a room let me know.

BTW: rooms for Guido and Richard are booked, Restaurant table is reserved.....we can easyly add a table for dinner.

Guido
07-22-2007, 04:30 AM
GREAT!

Rick,

I think we try the whiskey Rich brings. Let's check his taste this time :D

richluvsound
07-22-2007, 09:20 AM
I think I'll need to bring plenty for everyone !

:D

Rich

Hofmannhp
07-26-2007, 11:58 PM
I think I'll need to bring plenty for everyone !

:D

Rich

Hi All,

yesterday I picked up Rick Riessen and wifey in Frankfurt Airport.
We are looking forward for our meeting at 3rd of August.

HP

richluvsound
07-27-2007, 12:14 AM
HP,

I have never been to Germany, that combined with the chance to get together
with all of you and all that JBL:applaud:
The whole thing could'nt come a better time . And, Guido has promised to show me what the sun looks Like.

all the best, Rich

Guido
07-27-2007, 03:35 AM
I have never been to Germany

It's TIME!

Fangio
08-02-2007, 08:19 PM
cya tonight :)

Titanium Dome
08-04-2007, 08:30 AM
Wow, a day and a half of silence. :hmm:

That must have been some party. :cheers:

:dj-party:

John
08-04-2007, 02:34 PM
:snore:

:barf:

:snore:

Give them a few more hours, they will be as good as new.!!!

Ian Mackenzie
08-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Yes,

It will be interesting to see what transpired!

Ian

Hofmannhp
08-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Yes,

It will be interesting to see what transpired!

Ian

Hi All,

stop yawning John....:). I just drove Rick and Donna to the Frankfurt airport for their flight back to Chicago.

Let's be patient for the pics and stories he will bring up here.
All I can say for now.....we had a great time with nice people.

HP

Fangio
08-05-2007, 05:41 AM
The location: a part of HP's wonderful patio, and the entrance to the Blues Garage.

Let's be patient for the pics and stories he will bring up here.
All I can say for now.....we had a great time with nice people.

:yes:

Rick also had by far the best camera (a huge Nikon, in particular for night shots).

Storm
08-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Can't wait for the photos and pictures to emerge. It feels like Christmas morning.

Any 250TIs in attendance? What speakers were on display?

:bouncy:

-Storm.

saeman
08-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Hallo HP - Am now back home and have started sifting thru some of the pics from our trip. I took over 700 and filled a 2 GB card in the process.

Our meeting and party was no doubt a success and I believe that all in attendance had a good time. And as before, those who didn't make it surely missed a great event. As much as we tried to be sensible and not go into the wee hours of the morning, we didn't end the event until near 4:30 am and my head didn't hit the pillow until about 5:00 am.

Here's a few pics to start. Rick

saeman
08-05-2007, 12:26 PM
The party started at HP's house with lots of JBL talk and shortly moved to the local restaurant for beer and a superb dinner.

As a life long American steak consumer I figure that I have eaten some pretty good cuts of beef throughout my life - but - for the second time this year I had the opportunity to eat one of the best steaks ever - a generous cut of good meat cooked medium rare and smothered with seasoned cooked onions and mushrooms. I'm sure that all of the food there was great but I couldn't resist having the same thing I had at the first meeting in Jan.

We had 6 members in attendance however we were short one member until about 9pm when Claus Dolderer (schloerch) arrived from Metzingen. In attendance were HP and wife Angelica, Guido and his London Sidekick Richluvsound, Claus, Florian from Berlin (fangio) and me and my wife Donna.

We had hoped for a larger turnout but we had more than enough attendees to make a great party. Had we been able to plan further in advance we might have improved the numbers. There will always be the next one sometime in the future.

saeman
08-05-2007, 12:39 PM
I'll not attempt to expalin any of the pics posted here as I only took them to show everyone how the party went. You'll all have to use your own imaginations as to what was going on. While looking them over I had my own concerns. Why does Rich look like he drank 80% of all beer consumed? when he was the only one there not consuming mass amounts of alcohol. What was HP doing with his nose in a trumpet blossom in the drive after he had more than his share to drink?

It was nice being the photographer as there is no evidence that I was involved in anything but taking pictures.

Guido
08-05-2007, 01:01 PM
I love that guitar :D

This sure was SOMETHING! Thanks everyone for this wonderful evening (night and morning). Special thanks to or wonderful hosts Angelica and HP.

Guido
08-05-2007, 01:07 PM
It was nice being the photographer as there is no evidence that I was involved in anything but taking pictures.

Richard, Fangio....

Post your pics from Rick so that everyone can see what was really going on ;)

paragon
08-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Great to see you all again !!
Love it !
More pics , Rick ! I had no chance because of work and my silverwedding.
See you all next time.

Eckhard

Hofmannhp
08-05-2007, 01:19 PM
.....and my silverwedding.
See you all next time.

Eckhard

Hi Eckhard,

Congrats for the silver one........also to wifey.......we missed you.....see you next time.

HP

richluvsound
08-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Hey , a picture saves a thousand words !!!!! (talk about the pot calling the kettle black)

Just want to thank all of you for making me feel so welcome in Germany.

HP and Angelica are wonderful hosts, the lady can sure cook one hell of a breakfast.Sorry, I cant say HP's cover of The Who's "Magic bus" was up to par ( I told him to plug it in):banghead: Nice 4 ways in the blues bar made me feel less homesick. It really was brilliant . Talking tools and box building with the Maestro from Chicago was pretty cool too. I was sorry I had to leave ,
but, it turned out to be just the start of a brilliant weekend . Guido and I left around 12 an drove to his place through the forest for a BBQ and some Pass Labs treats not mention the cc 250ti's , I'd never heard them before. Nice , but........ Anyway, spent a lovely evening on the patio chatting with Guido and his beautiful and charming new wife Claudia and the boy's. Claudia too , put on one hell of a breakfast spread. I wish I'd not been so polite and tucked in some more of that salmon. Got kinda hungry on the way home.
More to follow !
Rich

Fangio
08-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Rich – a pleasure to meet you. Looks like you enjoyed it too – and thanks for bringing the tasty 15yr old balvenie :D

saeman
08-05-2007, 02:08 PM
You will see from all the pics that even though we were all going strong til 4:30 am that everyone was present at the breakfast table just a few hours later. Angelica, bless her heart, was up before 9 am and it was the aroma coming from the kitchen that jogged me off the mattress.

There's a lot to be said about a hot cup of good European coffee to give you a jump start after a late night party. As a black coffee drinker I surely had the caffeine advantage and I was up and running in a short amount of time. All of the milk and sugar guys needed a little more help.

After breakfast we all talked for a short while and then said good bye to Guido and Rich. They were off to Wurzburg to spend some time at Guido's place before Rich had to fly back to London. Claus also left shortly after that and drove south to Metzingen.

For the rest of the day HP, Angelica, Florian, Donna and I spent our time touring the Frankfurt area - a glass of wine here and another one there, as there were several wine fests going on. Our last stop was at a local brew house for a tall cold pilsner. Shortly after that we returned to Bad Homburg and Florian departed on his 4+ hour drive back to Berlin.

A good time was has by all.

paragon
08-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Angelica, Dein Omlette ist unerreicht !

Eckhard:D

Fangio
08-05-2007, 02:31 PM
Yeah - can certainly confirm that. :applaud: I would like to thank our hosts too – a great summer weekend at a lovely place.

Here are some more from

the morning after brunch – two real friends
and on the way home – open air.

saeman
08-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Our last day was Saturday and as I said earlier, we relaxed and spent a lot of time just talking about the events of the previous evening. That afternoon and evening was spent at HP's house, on the patio. We said earlier that we would all take a short nap before dinner but somehow it never happened. HP had local FM tuned in on his 4435's and we sat with wine and idle talk.

Angelica soon produced a wonderful lasagna and a bottle of good local red wine for dinner. Even though my eyes were starting to bleed I managed to get thru a good Tequila Sunrise and we all made it to 11pm. The party was now truely over as we had a departing flight at 8:30 the next morning - home now and back to reality.

It was good to see Guido again and we hope to meet the next time in Wurzburg. I spent two days earlier in the trip with Claus and Florian in Berlin so HP's party was for us an extension of our earlier meeting. Rich and I had a lot to talk about and have hopefully formed a new friendship - no I can't come to London in September Rich. Broke is the key word here. I now need to regroup for a while as I've been on a spending spree since May.

We had a wonderful time on this Germany trip and without any doubt, the last two days in Bad Homburg were the best. We RELAXED there after driving 53XX km making two day trips into Austria and two Day trips into Switzerland and a round trip to Berlin. HP and Angelica really rolled out the red carpet and there's no way that I can adequately express my thanks. Please make a trip to Chicago so I can try to repay your hospitality.

Rick

P.S. Eckhard - we missed you but we also understand the event that resulted in your absense. A 25 year Silver Anniversary is more important than what we had to offer. We'll watch for you at the next get together.

saeman
08-05-2007, 02:57 PM
ich bin ein Berliner

saeman
08-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Rich:

Have my bags unpacked now and I'm sipping a small glass of Balvinie 21. It's OK as it's 5pm here. I had a lot of great beer on the trip but having some good single malt to sip at the party was an unexpected delight. I'm sure that Florian would agree. Thank you much!!!!!!!

I also have a kitchen counter top near full of beer glasses. I have the habbit of trying to come home with a glass from each good beer that I drink somewhere away from home, and my trips to Germany have produced a good size collection of very nicely decorated local brew haus glasses and mugs. Donna just shakes her head!!

Go after those 4343's.

Rick

mikebake
08-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Outstanding!

rs237
08-05-2007, 11:56 PM
Hallo HP,

ich beneide euch. Eswar sicherlich wie nicht anders zu erwarten ein toller Abend. Ich weiss was ich versäumt habe.

juergen

Rolf
08-06-2007, 01:39 AM
I really wish I could have been there.

Hofmannhp
08-06-2007, 02:24 AM
I really wish I could have been there.

Rolf,

perhaps we forgot to tell you that also dogs are welcome :D
no problem to bring your pretty shepherd with you.

HP

Hofmannhp
08-06-2007, 05:14 AM
.....Sorry, I cant say HP's cover of The Who's "Magic bus" was up to par ( I told him to plug it in):banghead: .....Rich

Hi Rich,

:D I hold it with Clapton........unplugged :D

HP

Rolf
08-06-2007, 05:40 AM
Rolf,

HP

That's good. He have all the necessary vaccines to travel, but the reason I could not was my wife's hospital visit.

richluvsound
08-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Hi HP,

has life returned to normal ?..... Thanks for everything . I'm off to look at these 4343's may have some more serial numbers for you if they are OK.

Give that wonderful wife a kiss on the cheek from me !

Rich

Fangio
08-06-2007, 08:21 AM
ich bin ein BerlinerNOW we have the weather here that I had ordered for your visit already. Glad you and Donna liked it even so. Anytime again Rick – still a good portion of sights left – and it's a pleasure for me to play the guide.

We will repeat the riverboat trip on the long route then, ok? :beach:

Guido
08-06-2007, 11:52 AM
the reason I could not was my wife's hospital visit.

I hope your wife is better meanwhile. You're welcome here in Germany.

rs237
08-06-2007, 01:04 PM
Rolf,

HP

Hallo HP,

dann hätte ich ja meine französischen Schäferhunde einpacken und doch kommen können .

translatet by babelfish :

then I would have my French shepherd dogs to pack up and nevertheless to come be able.

regards

juergen

edgewound
08-06-2007, 01:09 PM
I wish we could've still been there. You all looked like you had a great time.

Congrats on your 25th, Eckhard.

HP...you really know how to party.

Great pics, Rick.

richluvsound
08-06-2007, 01:27 PM
I wish we could've still been there.

Hi Edgewound,

there was a thought about doing a European convention type thing.

It would not be impossible with enough support and time to organise.

Germany is a beautiful country!!!!

Hofmannhp
08-06-2007, 03:43 PM
......Give that wonderful wife a kiss on the cheek from me !
Rich

executed

Rich.......it was nice to meet you here.

I would like to join your meeting Sep 15th, but I will be in Greece during this time for my holidays.

Hope you don't forget the "welcome poster" . We would like to see all visitors names on it. I think it was a good idea :bouncy: and hope that this might travel around the world.

HP

PS: edgewound......you had the chance...:banghead:

richluvsound
08-08-2007, 08:18 AM
executed

Rich.......it was nice to meet you here.

I would like to join your meeting Sep 15th, but I will be in Greece during this time for my holidays.

Hope you don't forget the "welcome poster" . We would like to see all visitors names on it. I think it was a good idea :bouncy: and hope that this might travel around the world.

HP

PS: edgewound......you had the chance...:banghead:

Hi HP,

I was just thinking that I could send the banner to meet Ian in the US and he could get the guy's to sign it on his travels. Ofcourse this would depend on Ian.

Rich.

Mr. Widget
08-08-2007, 09:27 AM
You will see from all the pics that even though we were all going strong til 4:30 am that everyone was present at the breakfast table just a few hours later.WOW! Very cool...

Sounds like another excellent Lansing Adventure... thanks for sharing.

Widget

saeman
08-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Hi Widget:

Yes - the 2nd get together was a great success in my opinion and a good time was had by all - from our early evening dinner, through the late night party, our meeting at breakfast and the good byes around noon. Maybe next time we should shoot for two days and give everyone a chance to recover before driving home.

For me the festivities of the meeting were a relaxing change from the 8 days leading up to the event. We spent the first two days without our luggage (3 days in the same clothes which didn't set well with my wife), then while having dinner with Claus and Florian in Berlin I caught on fire in the restaurant ??? and also spent 5348 km of driving time on the autoban before coming to HP's.

I hope that HP will make these meetings an annual tradition. I will not likely be able to come to Germany just for an LHS meeting but it's a hell of a thought.

Rick

P.S. I think HP was still sober when he did his blue rubber guitar Eric Clapton routine - but I'm not sure.

richluvsound
08-08-2007, 12:13 PM
...then while having dinner with Claus and Florian in Berlin I caught on fire in the restaurant ??? .

:useless::useless::D

Rich:D

Ian Mackenzie
08-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Hi HP,

I was just thinking that I could send the banner to meet Ian in the US and he could get the guy's to sign it on his travels. Ofcourse this would depend on Ian.

Rich.

Send it to TiDome in LA. The last time I turned up Bo was waving a Giskard sign!

Hofmannhp
08-08-2007, 02:40 PM
...The last time I turned up Bo was waving a Giskard sign!

there is'nt a better reason to send it ??

HP

richluvsound
08-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Thanks Guy's,

consider it done, I'll PM Ti and get his address.

Rich

Titanium Dome
08-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Not if I PM you first!

Titanium Dome
08-08-2007, 07:56 PM
And thus, you have a PM. Ian can carry it all the way back to England.

boputnam
08-08-2007, 08:01 PM
'zactly...

You should wrap Ian in it, like a party favor, and take a bunch of compromising pics...!

We'll do the same in the Bay Area... ;)

:rotfl:

JBLRaiser
08-08-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks for sharing it, Rick. :rockon2:

richluvsound
08-08-2007, 11:42 PM
Hi Bo,

I could'nt possibly do anything to compromise the poor chap ! I'm sure being an Ausie Ian is more than capable, given the right circumstance, of getting himself into trouble.
All I have to do is create the right enviroment .
But really,I wish he could bring you lot with him.

Rich

Hofmannhp
08-09-2007, 01:53 AM
Thanks Guy's,

consider it done, I'll PM Ti and get his address.

Rich

Hi Rich,

our banner is written with "germany" meeting.....what about one for international use.....or better, are you able to make some adhesives for the right text before sending it to the US in cause of our signatures.

HP

richluvsound
08-09-2007, 02:01 AM
HP,

Guido has the banner . Could Micha do it and send it Guido.

Rich

Hofmannhp
08-09-2007, 04:10 AM
HP,

Guido has the banner . Could Micha do it and send it Guido.

Rich

a...yes,....Micha can make a new one, our $$ conversion is always a box/24 btl. best beer..... but is there time enough for Ian's visit in LA?

HP

richluvsound
08-09-2007, 04:26 AM
HP,

We dont want a whole new banner ,do we ? Just the "international" printed so we place it over the "Germany " either with magnets or velcro to secure it

Rich

Ps . can you PM me Micha's email address please.

Ian Mackenzie
08-09-2007, 07:33 AM
Hi Bo,

I could'nt possibly do anything to compromise the poor chap ! I'm sure being an Ausie Ian is more than capable, given the right circumstance, of getting himself into trouble.
All I have to do is create the right enviroment .
But really,I wish he could bring you lot with him.

Rich

Rich,

The know me too well. I recommend they send their wives away for the duration..just to be sure..here is a sample of what I will be leaving behind....;)

richluvsound
08-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Ian meet Jo. She fell inlove with the 45's.
;)

boputnam
08-10-2007, 07:19 AM
...here is a sample of what I will be leaving behind....;)Your favorite leather jacket! Bummer.

I'd ask her to return it!! :yes:

Ian Mackenzie
08-10-2007, 08:21 AM
Bo,

Wrong thread...OT.