PDA

View Full Version : Newbee to the forum...

intercity125
07-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Hello to all,

I recently purchased a pair of L80S loudspeakers, my first JBL’s, that a co-work sold for $50.00. All that was needed were new foam surrounds on the woofers, but I went ahead and refinished the cabinets in black, as the walnut wood grain vinyl had lost some of its luster over the years.

Wow! These are incredible sounding loudspeakers. I cannot remember the last time I had so much fun listening to music. Don’t get me wrong; the L80s’ aren’t just fun to listen to. They are capable of throwing the biggest soundstage, filled with the most subtle of details, that I can remember having heard in recent years. And the bass, well the bass is deep, tight, and has real impact. To say I am impressed with these loudspeakers would be an understatement. I am hooked. Now, if only I can find a pair of 250ti’s.

Up until now, I have been using a pair of Harbeth HL-P3s, very nice sounding loudspeakers, by-the-way; however, they just cannot compete with the JBL’s sheer dynamics and resolving power. Quite a shock after years of listening to bookshelf sized loudspeakers. Very nice indeed.

I am using a pair of Quicksilver Audio Mid-Mono amps, Quicksilver Audio Line Preamp, Rega Jupiter 2000 CD player, and River Cable speaker cables and interconnects, in case you were wondering.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi, and to make myself known. Take care, all.

William

00Robin
07-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Hi you all,I have been lucky enough to have A set of Voice of the Theatres since 82. My first set was dated 58 and I blew one and sold them to a collecter and will wonders never cease...I found a pair of green (you know the #)ones ata pawn and the man had NO idea what they were and i stole them for 50$!!! I put them in the original cabinets the others were in. Theses are dated 69 and haVE ALL THE ORIGINAL whoops caps lock there,paperwork. '

There is NOTHING in the world like the warm and buttery bass of these wonders. Nothing compares new as far as I'm concerned. I love reading about you all and your gorgeous handiwork.
Since I'm a lady,hefting these small refridgeraters has become easier as as I have muscled up but I am going to do mine up right and horn them too. They sound great without them but I'll bet the horns are the best ever.
I just wanted to say hi. I hardly know anyone who appreciates these babies and i had to bring mine all the way back to Detroit from Wyoming like they were a baby grand piano. Well,hello and maybe I'll be getting some help from you all. Until then, I have a Hammond B3 and Leslie I play with too. I LOVE my sound!

Titanium Dome
07-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Greetings, and welcome to the forums. :wave: Hope you enjoy it here.

What kind of music do you like with your speakers?

00Robin
07-16-2007, 04:39 AM
Actually I love all music, but funk,soul,blues and thumping crazy black gospel really get me. And rock and roll of course!