PDA

View Full Version : running CDs through an RIAA curve?

louped garouv
07-13-2007, 12:27 PM
I took this from another forum i visit once in a while....

Hook up your cd player to the line level input of your isolator, (leave the phono switch at the line level position when trying this option), then plug your rca cables from the phono out of the isolator into phono 1 or 2 whatever is easier for your set up, then sit back and listen to what your cds sound like going thru the phono stage on your mixer, this will blow your mind, because you will put the RIAA phono curve on your cds.
Play the same cd that you just listened to thru the isolator hooked up thru the phono stage of your mixer thu your other cd player thats hooked up to the line level stage, and do a A-B listening test 1 way, phono level vs the other, line level, then tell everyone what you think, i think you will find it amazing when you play your cds going thru the phono stage of your mixer this way. Guarentee you will start to reburn cds and down load music thru the phono stage this way to improve the sound of your music that you burn to CD.

now, why would one want to run CDs through a RIAA EQ curve? Seems to me it would simply give a bass boost @~ 250Hz and down and attenuate above, right?

I just don't understand why the manufacturer of gear would tell people to run their CDs through a RIAA EQ curve....

http://www.tracertek.com/newway1.jpg

and the graphic above is from www.tracertek.com/thenewway.htm

louped garouv
07-13-2007, 01:23 PM
i've gotten some more info...

the unit in question is stepping down the line level and applying the RIAA cutting curve to the signal before running it through the RIAA playback curve...

i guess it makes more sense now....

BMWCCA
07-13-2007, 10:03 PM
i've gotten some more info...

the unit in question is stepping down the line level and applying the RIAA cutting curve to the signal before running it through the RIAA playback curve...

i guess it makes more sense now....Call me stupid, but why would that make any difference at all? :hmm:

Hoerninger
07-14-2007, 12:01 AM
i guess it makes more sense now....
In other words you are meaning something like this (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=160232&postcount=50) ?
(Line in - phono out)