PDA

View Full Version : Best Stereo Amp for JBL L-112s

WifesPissed
07-11-2007, 10:09 AM
I have the connected to a Denon AVR 3600 at 110W x 2 into 8 ohms and it sounds great but I have read that these speakers really like a lot more power. I will take the Denon's L+R front channel Pre-Amp out to the new amp and run the L-112's since I want to maintain the home theater function they now serve.

So what amp should I run? Money is a factor but I am realistic about the cost of a good amp.

Thanks!

grumpy
07-11-2007, 10:37 AM
... a rather personal decision, but I wish I'd not given up a Perreaux 2150B (years ago)
that worked quite well for me with this series (L-112/L-150A)... don't know what they go
for these days, or if you're looking for new/used/something to sort of match the Denon
"look", etc... -grumpy

Zilch
07-11-2007, 12:13 PM
I just don't get the "best amp" thing.

Somebody tell me why more than 100W rated power would be required by L112s?

Any decent amp would have headroom well above that for transients, I would think. :dont-know

[B460s, I get it.... ]

Robh3606
07-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Somebody tell me why more than 100W rated power would be required by L112s?

Depends on a couple of things. I once did a run off between a Dynaco ST-400 and a Crown 150A. They are 200 and 75 watts per channel. You could easilly hear the Crown run out of power on peaks. We were running L100's at the time so the speakers were similar. It was loud but not crazy loud and it was a big room which I think was the kicker.

Rob:)

clmrt
07-11-2007, 12:28 PM
I chased up and down the amp ladder -

HK AVR325 into JBL L5, now ADS L810, 50 watts per.

Then, HK PA2200, 100 watts per channel.

Then, UREI 6260, 150 per...

Then, ABI Precedent 600A, 225wpc...

Where am I now?

Back to the HK. Hi passed at 60HZ, not worried about it. Sold all the amps for about what I had into them, don't miss the clutter one bit. Now I'm using 15wpc tubes on on those L5's and it's fine for most all my needs.

I still want to try an Adcom some day, probably a 535.

:blah:

BMWCCA
07-11-2007, 01:38 PM
I've run my L112s and O30s on a Crown D150 and D150A-II for years with great results. That being said, I currently am using a DC300A-II with the 030 and a Crown PS400 with my L112s and 4412As with even better results, according to my ears. Back in 1974 when I bought my first Crown the stereo shop (Hi-Fidelity Showroom in St.Louis) let me take home one of each Crown (D75, D150, DC300) to compare them in my system (Mac C20). I believed then that each successive increase in power (and cost) sounded better to me. But as a college student, I stopped at the D150. Now, over 30 years later, I'm catching up on the amps I couldn't afford then. I loan-out amps from my stash to my neighbors and currently just got back my first D150A-II that was filling in for a Phase Linear 400 that passed smoke. I swapped it for another D150A-II that needed some exercise. I currently own seven Crown amps and think any of them would work fine for what you want to do with your L112s. A nice DC300A-II or PS400 can be had for just over $200 with some regularity.

In memory of Tom Loiseaux, a great Crown and JBL fan, from my last PM with him before he passed away:
I too have a little array of Crown stuff...mostly PS amps. These are my amps for my serious listening. Beginning with the Crown PSL-2 pre amp, FFX-2 crossover, and a PS-200 and PS-400 powr amps in to my JBL 4343s.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/BMWCCA1/PileofCrownampscopy.jpg

majick47
07-11-2007, 01:59 PM
You didn't give any indication as to room size, required volume level, prefered style of music etc. A couple of years ago I purchased from Audiogon a preowned Yamaha MX-1000(U) 250 watt x 2 amp for my brother who has a pair of JBL 4311B. Paid $450 shipped, amp was in mint condition, sounds very nice and runs perfect to this day. The JBL 4311B is a 3 way system with a 12 woofer similar to the JBL L112. A couple other Yamaha amps that are the same size/power are the M80/M85 and priced about the same in the $500 region. Maybe not the last word in amps but for the money very respectable amps that sell like hot cakes on Ebay.

JBL 4645
07-11-2007, 04:04 PM
I’ve recently started to install Alesis RA300 which will slowly take over from my Marantz 1050 and 1030 amplifiers. I like the performance of the Alesis RA300 thou if I was rich man I’d properly have the Crown that are installed in the famous Empire Leicester square cinema.

Still I have to compromise and use other resources in the professional amplifier arena and the Alesis RA300 have suited me just find for now, despite the heat they generate which had me opening the windows a few weeks back I was cooking.:p

http://www.fproj.com/fp_sound/fp_sound_images/crown_dsi.jpg
http://www.fproj.com/fp_sound/amps.html

invstbiker
07-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Rather than going up in watts, how' bout a nice little 70 watt tube job. I have a pair of monoblock Prima Luna 7's and they rock the house with the Paul B's 4343's. The bar in SD is a different story...

WifesPissed
07-12-2007, 11:18 PM
Mc Cormack DNA-1 Deluxe Edition?

brutal
07-15-2007, 02:30 PM
fed by my RXV-2400. I just recently bridged a pair of M-80's and they sound even better with the added headroom, typically running in auto Class-A at lower volumes. :applaud:

It's hard to beat the warmth and extremely low THD of these amps. 250WPC @8Ohms .003THD. IMHO, JBL and same vintage Yamaha (unless going tube) were meant for each other.

The M-80/M-85 in particular are monoblock amps, hence their current prices on epay right now. The M-70 & smaller and newer MX amps aren't too bad, but most aren't monoblock like the M-8x.

Yamaha does build a modern solid sate monoblock for the digital age, the MX-D1. $5k. :eek:

JSF13
07-15-2007, 09:06 PM
Brutal,or anyone, how do you go about bridging an M80?

Tks,
Joe:)

mnavarrette5@co
06-09-2008, 04:47 PM
I've used an old Kenwood Basic M2 with good results. Also a Crest V900 worked real well too. I'm a Crest amplifier fan anyway, picked it up for $425 and it's been good. Not a 9001 or anything but matches up with the L112 very well. :D

BMWCCA
06-09-2008, 04:56 PM
These old threads are the best, aren't they?! :blink:

sweetliberty
06-13-2008, 02:59 AM
Must admit being not up with the latest amps. I recommend a Phase Linear 400 or 700 power amps. My L212's never sounded so good on a Phase 400 -(L212's are very similar to your 112's). It went DC and cooked a 2122 on my 4350's and gave it away in disgust. Regret that.
There are many on ebay usually with blown output trannies. A full service including newer more robust output trannies will set you back several hundred but you wont regret it.
Something about those old Phases. Maybe being direct coupled and using loads of paraleled tranny outputs. Who knows but they worked.

hjames
06-13-2008, 04:05 AM
Must admit being not up with the latest amps. I recommend a Phase Linear 400 or 700 power amps. My L212's never sounded so good on a Phase 400 -(L212's are very similar to your 112's). It went DC and cooked a 2122 on my 4350's and gave it away in disgust. Regret that.
There are many on ebay usually with blown output trannies. A full service including newer more robust output trannies will set you back several hundred but you wont regret it.
Something about those old Phases. Maybe being direct coupled and using loads of paraleled tranny outputs. Who knows but they worked.

But they DO seem to have a history that when they go, they take out your precious speaker! We've seen that posted here numerous times ...

Is that a good trade off? Only you can decide.

SEAWOLF97
06-13-2008, 07:34 AM

But they DO seem to have a history that when they go, they take out your precious speaker! We've seen that posted here numerous times ...

Is that a good trade off? Only you can decide.

found this interesting post

soldering with amplifiers
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=amp&n=112681&highlight=bgw&r=&session=

in the mid-70's i sold (and still own) BGW amplifiers. They were famous for their revolutionary "crowbar" circuit which reacted much faster than fuses or breakers of the time.
to demonstrate their amazing protection circuitry, we would take a 500 or 750 and crank it up, then disconnect and short one channel - we could solder together the tinned ends of the wire, and the amp would simply click off and discharge into ground - no pop or noise from the hooked up speaker! (the other demo was to use a phase linear and see if you could start the building on fire)

BMWCCA
06-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Shorting the amp output shows only how well the amp protects itself from stupid human tricks. As far as I know, it says nothing about how the amp protects the speakers from distorted signal or clipping. I know the Crowns will protect my speakers with their IOC circuitry, and give me plenty of warning before I try to kill my JBLs with my defective electronics. BGW always had a good rep. Phase Linear always a poor one for self-immolation, which wouldn't be so bad if they didn't normally take the speakers with them across the River Styx. There are people who make a living today trying to make the old Flame Linear stuff not so terrifyingly destructive. Make sure you hook up with one of them before you take sweetliberty's recommendation.

sweetliberty
06-14-2008, 02:49 AM
There are people who make a living today trying to make the old Flame Linear stuff not so terrifyingly destructive. Make sure you hook up with one of them before you take sweetliberty's recommendation.[/quote]

Good advice BMW.
I had an old Dynaco 400 which I built from a kit. Extremely reliable mine lasted 20 years before giving trouble and that was just the turn-on relay. Sonically IMO - pretty awful..harsh treble and uncontrolled base. Seems that with all the protection circuits involved the trade off was quality.
I would choose the more risky option together with BMW advice and get a fully serviced Phase Linear.

Akira
06-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Does anyone have an opinion of Bryston products?

Valentin
06-25-2008, 09:44 AM
I just bougt a lexicon nt412 (bryston 8st) and i have a levinson ML9 that i compare with

The sound in the Levinson is Fuller and the Bryston is very detailed but with less body

Bryston has very good bass punch it grabs de bass but it has less air than the levinson in the high frequency.

Bryston amp are very well built and should last very long time with out problems.

Whats your opinion of Bryston amps

Akira
06-25-2008, 11:03 AM
I don't have a lot of experience with high end amps. I've always used Bryston for studio use and QSC for live touring. In Canada Bryston owns the high end pro market...you can't go to a studio and not find them. They are well built, have incredible specs and transparency. On the bad side, I also just had one (22 years old) go DC taking out a 4315 woofer.:(

I once owned a HK Citation 11/12 combo and that was one of my favourite amps for sound...a mere 60watts a side powering original Century 100's. I liked it better than the Bryston 3B I had at the time.

I agree with your comment about lacking body...Bryston products seem so transparent that sometimes you wish there was more there. I think in audio, clean is not always best...music needs texture and that intangible "something."

Ozzie Fior
06-25-2008, 11:21 AM
I use an Adcom 555MkII, and I am extremely pleased. This amp is rated at 200W per channel (but has considerable headroom).

I used HK and Pioneer receivers before at 12W/channel, and I can assure you the difference moving to Adcom is significant.

For reference, I use the spekers in a 12x12 room.

Is it the best amp? There's always something better, much better, but this combination is excellent to my ears.:D

Hope this helps,

Ozzie

Ozzie Fior
06-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Oops, I meant 125W per channel for the receivers previously used:eek:

Sorry!

Audiobeer
06-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Try an Aragon 4004 MKII for $750........Can't beat that. For a few more bucks try a Mcintosh 2205 for around $1200. Both are great with JBLs!

BMWCCA
06-29-2008, 07:48 PM
In case anyone didn't notice, the original poster hasn't replied to this thread in almost a year.

:) Carry on!

hjames
06-30-2008, 04:40 AM
In case anyone didn't notice, the original poster hasn't replied to this thread in almost a year.

And when has that stopped ANYONE on this site??

Woohoo!

chilledspode
06-30-2008, 03:46 PM

Classic!

Mark

jblsound
07-01-2008, 08:13 AM
It's hard to beat the warmth and extremely low THD of these amps. 250WPC @8Ohms .003THD. IMHO, JBL and same vintage Yamaha (unless going tube) were meant for each other.

I thought that 30 years ago. The same week I bought my original L212 set I also bought a Yamaha intergrated amp.
But 2 years ago, wanting to setup a TT system again, I bought some Citation gear of about the same vintage, Citaton Eleven pre-amp and Citation 19 power amp. The resulting sound is much nicer than what the Yamaha provided.