PDA

View Full Version : BREAKFAST IN AMERICA

Ian Mackenzie
07-11-2007, 03:03 AM
I am proposing to spend a few days in SF (1-4) while on vacation in early September (2007) and figured it would be fun to meet up with some local members.

I have no idea how this might work out but we could meet as a group at a local venue for a meal or I can try and catch up with a few of you on an individual basis as I will be hiring a car. There will also be plenty of Koala bears for your kids.

I actually drove 2500 miles last time in the USA without a hitch..touch wood (special thanks to the Putnam driving school).

Some might think this is a fairly bold move and you are probably right.....but it would be pretty rude not to say hello to more of you the second time around.

The rest of my plans are yet to be determined but I will be heading east after that. There is scope for a (short) stop over in LA towards the end of my 14 day visit.

If you will like to meet up please post or pm as you wish.

It is my intention to crystalise the itinerary within a week.

Please no jokes.

Ian

JBLnsince1959
07-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Ian:

your welcome to stay with me and my lady on your trip. I'm in Kansas City which is half way across the country and a good spot to rest.... food and drinks on me...

Titanium Dome
07-11-2007, 07:47 PM
If the short stopover in LA materializes, I'll be glad to organize a social event for the SoCal members so you can meet and greet, grab and growl, grunt and punt, and move and groove.

The sooner you can specify the date, the sooner I can get started, if you're interested in this sort of thing. Otherwise, I'd be happy to host you for a quiet evening at home with the Performance Series, S2600s, L7s, SVA2100s, XPL200s, etc., or a pub crawl through San Pedro (my seaside harbor town).

Ian Mackenzie
07-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks JBLnsince1959 and Titanium Dome.

You are both very generous

The dates are looking like 1-4th September in SF at the moment

But I would not want to put you to a big deal or organise a bunch of troops.

So perhaps the later unless there is a deluge of interest for a pie throwing contest at a tourist.

JBLnsince1959 I will followup with you via a pm shortly.

Thankyou both

regards

Ian

Titanium Dome
07-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Ian

Just to be clear, San Pedro is in Los Angeles at the harbor.

Doug

Ian Mackenzie
07-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Sorry I mis read your post.

I have to say its a rather complicated thing to figure out when the geography is remote and you dont' have a map in front of you!

I will pm you about the details.

regards

Ian

Steve Schell
07-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Ian if you are in L.A. long enough I would sure enjoy visiting with you. Come on by and we'll crank up the Iconics. Maybe we could arrange a group meeting here. You are welcome to stay over if you don't mind somewhat rustic accomodations. I am in Long Beach, about fifteen miles from TD.

Ian Mackenzie
07-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Hi Steve,

That sounds like a nice idea!

Doug has been kind enough to help plan a stop over.

Breakfast in America looks it may well be in LA.

Steve, I will pm you over the weekend.

Thankyou to everyone who has pm'd me and I will followup with you when my plans have solidified.

Ian

porschedpm
07-15-2007, 12:36 AM
Hi, Ian. Count me in on any SF Bay Area gathering. Looking forward to meeting you.

Ed S.

Ian Mackenzie
07-15-2007, 02:28 AM
Thanks Ed,

The whole trip has evolved very quickly over the past few days and now has global proportions.

As a result it will be a bit of a balancing act in terms of flying time/airports and having two feet on the ground but I will try and meet up with as many Lansing forum members as practical.

I hope to have some specifics on where and when by this Wednesday and will write to everyone when I meet with the travel agent to finalise the itinerary.

When things get bit closer I will probably post a thread in the new OT forums of what unfolds and no doubt some carefully edited pics and I promise to have a different shirt for each stop over this time!

(My wardrobe has significantly improved but I need to go on crash diet starting tonight!)

I am really looking forward to this trip.

Ian

boputnam
07-17-2007, 07:44 AM
(My wardrobe has significantly improved...Golly gee I sure hope so.

Those endless pictures of the SAME shirt (featured in your picture...) were largely why we boosted the OT section to begin with...
:rotfl:

richluvsound
07-17-2007, 09:01 AM
How do I get to the sacred OT section ?

boputnam
07-17-2007, 09:34 AM
It's just below here. Off Topic Forums.

A mere trifle of it's original girth, but it will grow again...

kingjames
07-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Golly gee I sure hope so.

Those endless pictures of the SAME shirt (featured in your picture...) were largely why we boosted the OT section to begin with...

Bo, I must admit you have a great sense of humor.:D

Ian Mackenzie
07-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Guys,

You are funny (dry)

Well I am about 2 stone heavier than last time so I might being wearing my Uncle Fester outfit if all else fails!

Trying to diet and get out more so I can fit into my sunday best for you guys. Walked home from work last night, took and hour and only missed 10 minuties of Miami CSI. Done that twice this week actually

I am seeing the travel agent today about origanising some extra stops.

Ian

Uncle Fester is a completely hairless, hunched, and barrel-shaped man with dark, sunken eyes and often a deranged smile. He always wears a heavy, full-length fur coat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fur_clothing). Fester was derived from a character drawn by cartoonist Charles Addams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Addams), although these were single page cartoons, with no stories or character names. Nevertheless, the character is recognizable in a number of cartoons, both by his appearance (bald, stooping, sunken eyes) and behavior (e.g. turning the shower to a special "scalding" setting, feeding his garden plants on blood plasma, or releasing an eagle on the neighbor's homing pigeons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homing_pigeons)). However, he is almost never seen in the same cartoons with the rest of the family, even for family celebrations like pouring boiling oil on carol singers (though he was in one cartoon with the two children—going fishing with dynamite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamite)). (It may be that he was introduced to the family at the time of the sitcom for dramatic convenience.) It is known that the name "Fester" was chosen by Addams for the sitcom.

JBL 4645
07-17-2007, 04:25 PM
Ian

If you’re are indeed popping over to the UK late this year September your most welcome to hang out here for a duration:) down here in not so called sunny Bournemouth:(, we’ve had a little rainy spell :Dduring this so called British summertime this is the worse summertime I can remember by FAR! Well at least its not roasting outside like it was last year.

Hmm Rich lives at the capital London maybe a get together UK tour with the JBL fans:applaud: I’m sure we have a few more hare from the UK.

Storm
07-17-2007, 05:34 PM
But don't go in the fish theater!

BEWARE!

;)

-Storm.
Ian

If you’re are indeed popping over to the UK late this year September your most welcome to hang out here for a duration:) down here in not so called sunny Bournemouth:(, we’ve had a little rainy spell :Dduring this so called British summertime this is the worse summertime I can remember by FAR! Well at least its not roasting outside like it was last year.

Hmm Rich lives at the capital London maybe a get together UK tour with the JBL fans:applaud: I’m sure we have a few more hare from the UK.

Ian Mackenzie
07-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Ian

If you’re are indeed popping over to the UK late this year September your most welcome to hang out here for a duration:) down here in not so called sunny Bournemouth:(,

I think September is the best time to travel weather wise.

Sorry my pm box was full other other day and will send you some details.

Ian

richluvsound
07-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Hi Ian-UK members,

a small gathering at mine in south-east London is on the cards. I have plenty

room a huge B.B.Q and a Fridge that can accomodate the thirst of an Australian Rugby Team- not to mention a few JBL goodies. Just say the word.

On the other hand Ian you may just feel like some quiet time. Just let us Know.

Rich

Ian Mackenzie
07-18-2007, 02:16 AM
Rich,

I would love to attend.

Ian

Hi Ian-UK members,

a small gathering at mine in south-east London is on the cards. I have plenty

room a huge B.B.Q and a Fridge that can accomodate the thirst of an Australian Rugby Team- not to mention a few JBL goodies. Just say the word.

On the other hand Ian you may just feel like some quiet time. Just let us Know.

Rich

richluvsound
07-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Hi Ian ,

Just let me Know some dates and i'll start a new thread so everyone has the details.

Rich

Ian Mackenzie
07-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Rich,

I will hopefully to have some specifics shortly.

The whole dateline thing confuses me. It sure will be interesting.

The Poms do like their Pints though I am in training..Muhhaha

I was thinking of a Lansing Cam..LOL

Should I bring a video camera?....(bad idea!).

I have been advised that large magnets can throw out the navigation which is too bad.

Ian Mackenzie
07-18-2007, 03:23 PM
To the guys in Los Angles I will be there Sept 1.

I called Titanium Dome (Doug) this morning and I am really looking forward to my stop over in LA.

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
07-18-2007, 07:33 PM
Okay,

After a lot of careful consideration and in the spirit meeting some of you nice folks this is how it will probably work in the USA. I am allowed a maximum of 5 stopovers on the round world airfare.

Revision 3

Arrive LA Sat 1 Sept (early morning 7.30am)
Meet Doug and Steve and then other members later in the day

Depart LA Sun 2 Sept (late morning)
Arrive SF Sun 2 Sept (lunchtime) activities TBA
Meet Bo and other members.

Depart SF Mon 3 Sept (mid morning)
Arrive Chicago Mon 3 Sept (late afternoon)
Meet Rick and Clark

Depart Chicago Wed 5 Sept (late morning)
Arrive New York Wed 5 Sept (late afternoon) activities TBA
Meet Rob, Scotty and other members

Depart New York Sun 9 Sept (late evening)
Arrive London Mon 10 Sept (early) activities TBA (tour of local brewery on arrival)

Meet Rick and Merlin and other members

Depart London Sun 16 (late morning)
Arrive Melb Monday 17 (late evening)

I will be able to alter the bookings later if something happens and will be subject to availability.

As mentioned above I have tried to arrange it so meet up with as many of you as practical and keep a balance.

Incidentally. For those in the know, I have a shirt picked out for each city. The LA shirt being the ...err the least conservative. But I am open to observing local customs

Ian

Titanium Dome
07-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Be sure someone takes you to Millennium Park. Here we are in front of the great, reflecting, polished stainless steel Cloud Gate.

L-R: My GF, me, my daughter, and my grandson (in the orange shirt taking the picture).

Ian Mackenzie
07-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Very nice.

Ian

Steve Schell
07-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Ian, I have jotted down those dates.

TD, that is quite a picture!

Ian Mackenzie
07-21-2007, 02:26 AM
I might end up re naming this thread Culture Club!

That aspect is what I find quite interesting in a experiencial sense.

Food for example.

Titanium Dome
07-21-2007, 03:41 AM
I might end up re naming this thread Culture Club!

That aspect is what I find quite interesting in a experiencial sense.

Food for example.

Well then, when you're in Chicago, demand your hosts get you some Chicago dogs:

Ian Mackenzie
07-21-2007, 04:29 AM
Cool but what about San Francisco?

Add mustard?

Ian Mackenzie
07-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Speaking of food on Sunday I will arrive in San Francisco at 12.05pm

They generally serve a light meal for lunch on the plane but I would prefer to sample the culinary delights of this beautiful city.

Any suggestions?

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
07-28-2007, 07:56 PM
In case not everyone is aware John has advised in a pm that whole weekend, Friday through Monday, the Oakland Bay bridge, (the main link between San Francisco and Oakland, which is across the bay from San Francisco), is going to be closed for roadwork - that's only been done once before in history apparently!

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
08-18-2007, 05:00 AM
Has anyone heard from Riessen recently?

I am trying to confirm my plans in Chicago and have not heard from him in over a month.

Ian

richluvsound
08-18-2007, 05:35 AM
Ian,

I spoke to him about ten days ago. He'll surface for a good Single malt and JBL chat;)

Rich

merlin
08-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Looking forward to getting together and abusing those 4345's Ian - I'm glad to say I'm not off to Tokyo until the 22nd.

If we can schedule a day in away from the smoke, you'll of course be welcome to visit the Windsor area and sample the local hostilities as well as the fledgling UF three ways.

Ian Mackenzie
08-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Rich,

I think he's either buried in saw dust, away on business or in one of those Rehab farms after visiting you lot!

Edit its all sorted.

Ian Mackenzie
08-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Looking forward to getting together and abusing those 4345's Ian - I'm glad to say I'm not off to Tokyo until the 22nd.

If we can schedule a day in away from the smoke, you'll of course be welcome to visit the Windsor area and sample the local hostilities as well as the fledgling UF three ways.

Thats good news. Yes it should be fun and would love to come up to Windsor...no need for the red carpet. We will be able to trade JBL jokes!!

What is the weather like? Will I need to bring my gumboots and rain coat?

Ian

richluvsound
08-18-2007, 02:42 PM
What is the weather like? Will I need to bring my gumboots and rain coat?

Ian

Dont be silly! the pub roof does'nt leak anymore.

Guido just confirmed. He'll be here on the friday for the weekend.

Nice one Merlin !!!!!!:applaud:

Rich

Ian Mackenzie
08-18-2007, 02:53 PM
Wow,

Should be a fun gathering.:bouncy:

Ian

John
08-18-2007, 08:06 PM
I spoke with him the other day on the phone and I think he was at home, No rehab this time around. In fact I think I would get checked in before
Rick would:p

Ian Mackenzie
08-18-2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks John,

I've had a couple of pms from Rick and we are working out a schedule.
From the sounds of it I would need a week to cover what Rick has been up to..!:)

johnaec
08-24-2007, 06:44 AM
Well, so far, Zilch, DonC, and myself are planning on meeting up with Ian Sunday afternoon, September 2, over in Berkeley, CA, (across the bay from San Francisco), for lunch, then a visit to "ZilchLabs". Post a note if you're interested in meeting up.

John

jblnut
08-24-2007, 11:14 AM
Damn...I'm headed to SF for the annual VMware user conference but I don't get in until Saturday the 8th. It would have been a great opportunity to meet a bunch of you guys.

Have fun and enjoy a single malt (or 3) for me :).

jblnut

Ian Mackenzie
08-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Hi JBLnut,

Where are you on the 4, 5, 6, 7th Sept?

Its a timing thing for a lot of people.

I have emailed Cyclotronguy (serious diy nutcake) if he can make it.

Ian

porschedpm
08-25-2007, 07:18 AM
Well, so far, Zilch, DonC, and myself are planning on meeting up with Ian Sunday afternoon, September 2, over in Berkeley, CA, (across the bay from San Francisco), for lunch, then a visit to "ZilchLabs". Post a note if you're interested in meeting up.

John

Count me in too. Just let me know where and what time on Sept 2nd and I'll be there.

Ed S.

Ian Mackenzie
08-27-2007, 05:00 AM
Okay,

Touch wood everything is more or less sorted.

I created a Word doc and there are well over a dozen members I will have the opportunity to meet in the U.S.A, then there are the Poms over the pond........ That works out to dozen shirts I will need.:hmm:

This should be a very interesting and entertaining holiday.:bouncy:

Ian

DavidF
08-30-2007, 09:23 PM

John

I have a change in plans that allows me to meet up with the Berkely gang. Can someone PM me with a destination and time to connect?

Many thanks,
DavidF

Ian Mackenzie
08-31-2007, 02:39 AM
I think we are meeting at Zich's initialy then off out to lunch.

If that plan has changed please let me know.

Ian

johnaec
08-31-2007, 02:26 PM
Can someone PM me with a destination and time to connect?We're planning on meeting at Zilch's around 1:00 or 1:30, then, out for some lunch, after which it's back to the "ZilchLab". I don't know Zilch's actual address, ('just used to driving it...) - maybe he'll PM it to you.

John

Zilch
08-31-2007, 09:33 PM
Perhaps these'll be playing for Ian:

[Well, ONE will, at least.... :p ]

Robh3606
09-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Well try playing this while your at it.

Rob:)

Zilch
09-01-2007, 01:06 PM
UnFAIR!

Rob KNOWS what's under the JBL Monitor Blue shroud. :yes:

[Heh, heh.... ]

richluvsound
09-02-2007, 01:23 AM
Hey Zilch,

STRIP !!!!

Show us your butt cheeks !

Supertramp and JBL go together like Pina and colada ..... I'd bet it was mastered on the big blues

Rich

Ian Mackenzie
09-02-2007, 12:26 PM
I just arrived in SF..waiting for baggage and pickup the car......see you guys soon.

IAN

Zilch
09-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Thanks, Ian. We're gettin' hungry here.... :p

boputnam
09-02-2007, 02:37 PM
I reminded him of the bridge closure for his routing this evening, but I sure hope he figured it is OUT for the way your place, too... :o:

Zilch
09-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Ian has departed for decompression at Bo's.

We had a super pizza and ale lunch, plus several hours' listening and note-comparing. :thmbsup:

Porschedpm
Johnaec
DavidF
Don C
Zilch
Ian

johnaec
09-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Yeah, it was a fun little get-together this afternoon. 'Nice listening to the latest "black-project" coming out of Zilch's "Skunkworks"...! (No pics from inside - 'classified info! ;) ) And 'nice meeting Ian, David, and Ed!

I only got a couple pics, and this is the only one with everyone in it, (except me...). I know Ian has a few more from the restaurant, etc.

Front to back, at the portal to "ZilchLabs": Don C. David F. Ian, Ed, (porschedpm), and Zilch:

John

DavidF
09-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Ian has departed for decompression at Bo's.

We had a super pizza and ale lunch, plus several hours' listening and note-comparing. :thmbsup:

Porschedpm
Johnaec
DavidF
Don C
Zilch
Ian

Thanks to Zilch for hosting for the afternoon. Good time and well worth the short drive up. Ian seems to have mastered the US roadways in no time at all (despite losing his map out the van window).

DavidF

porschedpm
09-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Many thanks to Ian for making the trip up to SF Bay Area and to Zilch for opening up the Zilch Labs to us. It was great meeeting everyone and putting faces to names. I look forward to the next get together of the Bay Area LH contingent. Compared to the LA contingent, though, it looks like we'd better start letting our beards grow out a little more. And here I thought all us old hippies were up in the Bay Area.

boputnam
09-03-2007, 12:01 PM
Sorry I missed the Zilch Emporium... Too many gigs this weekend - arriving home at 05.00am each morning - and with the bridge closure I couldn't get it all done. :(

We had a late dinner, and then a brief listening session - 11pm 'til about 2am.
- Patricia Barber (Cafe Blue)
- Joni Mitchell (Travelogue)
- Tommy Emmanuel (Only)
- Dave Grusin (Migration)
- Eargle on Everest
- JGB Band (Friday night's boardtape 08-31-2007)

I think his impression was favorable to the 4345's - they are substantially refurbished since his visit 3-yrs ago. In particular, the TAD TD-2002's and the Bryston crossover are the most ear-fulfilling improvements.

IIRC (it was hella late...) he's off to Chicago as we type, visiting Clark from Peoria ( :wave: ), Rick Riessen and others in the midcontinent contingent, then off to Rob in New York and some Coney Island sessions with Scotty.

Then across to the old country, with Rich & Co...

Keep well, dood.

Ian Mackenzie
09-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Hi Bo,

I'm in an internet book in NY upper West Side as I type.

Everything has gone according to plan...The Tardis is being reliable...although I could have sworn I Lansing in the Lansing workshops while staying with Steve Schell in Long Beach LA.

Stopping over in LA and meeting Steve was facinating..Steve's a great story teller of The Lansing history...!

Please thanks to Doug for making it all happen and meeting all the guys..swell.

SF was a real Mission Impossible sequel....

On the weekend I arrive the Bay Bridge was closed for maintenance and with the warm weather the alternate route to Zilch's was clogged solid to Berkeleyvia the San Mateo Bridge but with some persistance I made it..about 1 1/2 later than scheduled.

My visit it Zilch was really special ....and it was nice to meet the man behind so many of our favourite threads.

We went out to the local favourite Pizza venue..I was the driver with my Pacifica Van....we should have called it the Lansing Heritage Bus,,it was quite weird that I got a free upgrade on the hire car and it fitted the 6 of us.

We later heard Zilch's latest creation and shared many JBL experiences...thanks guys for making it.

Driving back across the San Mateo Bridge I had to break for some guy and the camera flew off the seat and slid under the accelerator peddle.

OOOOP's.

I few thoughts went through my mind and figured well if Tom Cruise can live to tell the tale so can I so I used my L Pad skills and managed to keep going and stopped about 20 miles further on.I was actually more concerned about squashing the camera.

Later that evening Bo and Suz treated me to a beautiful dinner out...thankyou!

We theen heard Bo's 4345 and over a few drops of an aussie Red.

Bo has worked really hard on his system since I last heard it. All I can say it performed beautifully...... I am going to have to think about a QSC map for the bass and a pair of tad 2002's.......

Ian Mackenzie
09-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Went out to Rob's out on Long Island for the weekend.

Did some sailing on Saturday and a bike ride on Sunday.

Thanks Rob and Izza! A holiday when your having a holiday.

Ian

Robh3606
09-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Hello Ian

It was good seeing you!! We all had a good time. Speaking of bikes they look kinda small from up there in the lighthouse!! The last folder in your camera didn't copy so I have none of your pictures:banghead:

Rob:)

Ian Mackenzie
09-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Rob,

Leme work on this over the next day or so.............The signature and the gate...LOL

Ian Mackenzie
09-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Arrived home tonight safely..23 hours travel time.

It was an interesting and enjoyable vacation from many perspectives.

Meeting again some old forum friends, meeting for the first time some(new) members, hearing some JBL systems for the first time and visiting some new cities. I think I met some 16 Lansing forum members on this trip in the USA.

I propose to edit some of the 800+ pic taken and post with some dialogue by the weekend.

Ian

Titanium Dome
09-17-2007, 04:35 PM
We'll look forward to your photo journal.

It was certainly my pleasure to spend a morning with you; I would have preferred more time. The next time you come to SoCal, stay longer.

Ian Mackenzie
09-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Perhaps these'll be playing for Ian:

[Well, ONE will, at least.... :p ]

Okay,

I'll start here on the SF leg as I opened these files first.

By the way I am finally starting to get some real sleep. The plan incidentally was to have 4 early night before the big plane ride. I confess I was sleep deprived from the get go. My father had an operation just before I left and well as you know family stuff robs you of sleep but that is life (he is okay for about 80).

However, this lack of shut eye following my landing in SF did not matter because this turned out to be one incredibe day that I will always remember.

What a beautiful view from my window seat on the plane coming in over the Bay area. My camera was not accessable but I am sure you guys know the view. I saw this really long bridge, the San Mateo and figured well I guess I will be driving across that!

It was really weird like I was seeing the future because everything I did kinda worked in my favour like it was meant to be.

I love the airport too and the air train to the rental car is great. By chance I upgrade to a Pacifica Van. It became the Lansing forums Bus later in the afternoon. Full collision waiver insurance on the car was a good idea little did I know the traffic that lay ahead on my journey to Zilch's!

On leaving the airport I managed to get onto the Hwy 280 somehow and I should have stayed on it. The van just seemed to want to go that way but I felt lost and so doubled back to the Hwy 101. Big mistake because the traffic on the 101 was banked up for miles before the 92E turn off. As I found out later it was the Summer of Love Weekend (Zilch's 40th anniversary) and aside from the Bay Bridge closure everyone was heading for the beach or doing stuff because it was such a nice weekend. As I said the view from the air was fantastic.

So I got on the San Mateo 92E and let the Map Quest Directions do the driving. I printed out colour directions and maps before I left home. Good idea because when you are driving on the other side of a road and going to a place you have never been before you don't have time to look at the directory.

If you have seen the film "Recall" this is my version..it was like scary but exciting at the same time and you sort of tell yourself is this for real! Well when I saw all these car I figure it ain't no dream! Car, more cars and lots of cars..both ways.

This San Mateo is a really long bridge and it starting going up and up and wow, so many cars. There were more cars on the 92E than in my own city! This drive was going to take more than an hour so I made a quick call to Zilch. Thankfully I set my mob phone for global roaming. Lucky break and this super cool "sophisticated kind of " guy (Zilch) answered the phone and said fine we are all just drinking beers....... That was encouraging as I was in transit, a world within a world.

San Francisco is a stunning city. I just picked the wrong weekend to be driving around. Anyway, I got up to Zilch's which was straight forward with Map Quest and followed this sign on the door that said head for the garage. There was a nice red Porsch (porcshedpms) parked out the front so I decided to park around the corner rather then trust the left hand park foot break! We don't have those in Australia.

On entering Zilchlabs you are confronted with an entire garage full of JBL stuff. I mean hello. He has a triple chamber bandpass sub woofer (for faultline testing), numerous cartons of JBL drivers, horns, cabinets and stuff stacked to the ceiling everywhere. I figured to myself this is this guys life right. You got it. I thought Steve Schell and Doug had the bug bad but wow, Zilch is immersed in JBL, he really is.

Around the corner were these super cool characters, David F, John, Ed, Don C and Zilch. What a bunch of really nice people. We sat around and listened to Zilch's latest diy effort while I chilled from the drive. This system is a centre channel hyprid box using two 10 mid woofers with one as a helper woofer for response down to about 80 hz and really nifty JBL horn with a serious JBL compression driver. The sub is an LE14H as I recall.

It sounded really good. Clean, smooth and crisp.

God bless Zilch as he got this system completed the day I arrived and he has done a really nice job!

To be continued

Ian

Ps. That shirt I sent Zilch for winning a quiz I ran a couple of years ago.

Ian Mackenzie
09-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Zilch demonstrated the system and we even did an RTA level check with some different L pad settings. This horn has some passive EQ correction but the whole thing was tri amped. Even at close listening distance it sounded sweet and detailed and I liked that little horn.

I could have spent a month in the Zilch labs and not seen the same driver twice. There was so much to see and so little time. Meeting the guys was a reall treat. My long time forum friend Ed also presented me with a JBL shirt and a Eargle Cd (which I used in my travels).

So after some listening we figured it was time for a meal. There were six of us and by chance my hire car seated 6. So the van became the Lansing bus and I was the Lansing bus driver. We drove a few blocks to downtown Albany to Zilch's favourite Pizza house. The beers and the pizza were great. Thankyou guys. It was really nice meeting you all and having a chat over a few ales about what we are all doing with our JBL rigs.

We then cruised back to Zilch labs for some more JBL fun.

As I recall we were all trying to hold in our beer "guts'' for this photo. Somehow I dont think it worked. I have posted 2 pics here as John took the first snap

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
09-18-2007, 10:42 AM
If anyone has an questions or if the guys want to add some dialogue go for it.

One question keeps coming up. Was I what you expected from my posts and avatar. This is really funny.

I thought Ed was lot younger than his post suggest and from our occassional ph calls. Must be driving that red Porsche that does it
John reminded me of Joe Walsh (the Eagles..taken as a compliment!)

I would never have picked Zilch as a guy out from ..was it NJ..forty years on now and still loving it. Meeting Zilch has given me a special appeciation and respect for what he is about.

This was one of the real gem's about doing this trip. Meeting the people is priceless.

Rich took a while to find me at Paddington station. Apparently he was looking for tall older bloke ( I would suggest an ol fart..LOL)

l'll post the details of the LA stop over tonight. It may pay in the end to merge these two threads, if just for continuity.
Ian

johnaec
09-19-2007, 07:53 AM
John reminded me of Joe Walsh (the Eagles..taken as a compliment!)Sheesh! Well, I did grow up out "Rocky Mountain Way"... :o:

Again, it was nice meeting you! 'Hope I can make it to Australia some day, ('always wanted to...). :)

John

Titanium Dome
09-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Mon dieu, des dames avez-vous mangé la quiche ? :shock: :biting: :shock:

My gosh, did you ladies eat quiche?

Ian Mackenzie
09-19-2007, 02:26 PM
For continuity refer to this post:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=183697&postcount=61

Zilch and Bo used the internet to monitor the return traffic and determined my best departure time from Berkeley.

The only hitch on the way back over the bridge was the camera sliding under the accelerator and working out how to turn on the headlights!

Bo and darling wife Suz took me out to dinner at a nice place that served beautiful seafood. With so much to talk about and so little time we decide to just listen to his JBL 4345 system. A seriously killer audio system to die for (not I did not say audiophile thanks) and the best ever 4345 based vintage system I have heard or are likely to hear.

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
09-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Okay,

Here are a few pics of Chicago.

I was only in Chicago for one night so I decided to go up to the new Hancock observatory. These are only some of the many pics. The view at night is stunning.

Later that evening I went out to a steak house call Chops and had a nice meal. Needless to say the steak was cooked to perfection. Then on to the Blue Chicago Jazz club. Breakfats at Johnny Rockets and off I went for a walk around the block.

Could not find any Hifi shops with JBL..damn. Plently of nice department stores and the latest fashions.

Below are some pics of Chicago by day. I wish I had more time here. Chicago is quite a town!

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
09-20-2007, 03:21 PM
I can see why TiDome calls Chicago America's favourite city.

Ian Mackenzie
09-20-2007, 03:46 PM
That morning I drove down to met Rick and Clark at Ricks home in Joliet.

Again Map Quest proved very useful and it loot about 1 hour traffic.

Clark and I arrived within a few minutes ad we cooled our heels on Ricks front porch with around of stout ales as I recall that Clark produced from is small esky. Nice work Clark.

Later on Rick treated us to a tour of his JBL and Sae collections. Not that Rick's JBL collection is understated, its not..he has JBL in very room and on every floor. But Rick is a SAE nut. He has more SAE amps than SAE had in their warehouse on a good day..I'm not kidding.

Ricks garage workshop and tools are unsurpased. I have never seen such fine craftsmanship and such a well organised shop as Rick has. We spent a good deal of the day just talking about veneering and cutting techniques.

Then down to Ricks JBL room. I can honestly say it was better than the real deal. Clark and were speechless. That other pic Rick took was not my idea but it summed it up. Incredible.

Thank you for a great day Rick.

Here is the product.

Ian

saeman
09-20-2007, 07:52 PM
Hello Ian:

I'm glad to hear that you arrived home with only minor physical damage. You will soon realize that the party is over and you are back to the daily grind. Thanks a lot for the wonderful compliments on your visit here. As stated before, we needed another day as we barely scratched the surface on every thing we could have talked about.

Had you decided to come a month later I would have been better prepared for a good listen. I am nearing completion of my room and in a couple weeks I hope to have my equipment cabinet in place and have my turntable up and running. I'm anxious to spend several weeks just listening to vinyl. As you suggested I will spend some time re-orienting the 4345's to improve their performance in this room. I hope to have some exciting news for you in the future. I'm hoping for good results with minimum EQ effort but we shall see.

Thanks again for the visit - Rick

Titanium Dome
09-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Nice shots of Chicago. You can't take a bad picture there.

In your first night shot, the building where my daughter works is on the left hand side, just to the left of the taller Aon Center, formerly the Amoco Building, formerly the Standard Oil Building ("Big Stan"). Chicago at night is spectacular.

Rick's builds also look spectacular.

Ian Mackenzie
09-21-2007, 10:02 AM
Minor Physical damage...those English woman need to cut their nails........

Rick,

Yes to was too short but I can still see the rosewood veneer....

It was like entering the JBL Tomb.

I think Heather would go crazy if see saw your 4341's in the flesh.

Can you post a pic of those for us?

The plan to try out some of the wood finishing tips over the Christmas break when I re build my 4345's. I am making the templates in the mean time!

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
09-21-2007, 03:14 PM
The next step in the U.S.A leg of my vacation was N.Y City.

I had visited the city before in 2004 but only saw a glimpse as a first timer. So this time the plan was to have a deeper look at the Big Apple.

Did I find any JBL? Only at Scotty's down and Coney island and Rob's place out on Long Island. But Rob and I did spot some small JBL in a bar while bike riding on Sunday out on Fire Island.

I am sure there are plenty of JBL installations in all those great clubs and pubs but I was really in Manhatten to see the sites and do what New Yorkers .....

So here are some pictures of my stay. I spent time cruising the Hudson river snaping views of the city, touring the hop on hop off bus, the Subway, Central Park and walking around through the West Village area and down towards Battery Park and of course Wall Street. By night did a night bus tour over to Brooklyn, I went to a few bars and clubs including the Blue Note jazz club and bought back a cd of the band playing that night.

Here we have my first taste of New York as I caught the subway at 103 street down to 42nd street to collect my multipass tour tickets. I was bowled over when surface at steeet level on 42nd street.

Lots of NY taxi's and a short walk around the corner and we are in Times Square by day! If you think its dazzles wait to you see the night pics..... this is one very cool place. The excitement is electrifying.....you can feel the pulse of the city here. Centre of the western civilized world for some.

I had lunch at Planet Hollywood before taking my Circle Island cruise.

Ian Mackenzie
09-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Here we have some image from the deck of the Circle line ferry.

There was a bit of haze that day but you get the idea. The third image down is Eliss island.

I have lots of images so if anyone would like to look at more images please pm and I will email you a file.

Ian Mackenzie
09-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Here we are on the way back to the Circle Line Pier.

As I understand it the island is some 6km wide and 20km long.

Just behind the green domed buildings is ground zero. The second last image is looing over to N.J. The cruise guide made a point of saying the clock face next to that building is larger then Big Ben's in London. That would be right...go figure.

Had the Titanic completed her maiden voyage this last image would have been the view coming on to NY. The pier of the Line that owned the Titanic and her ill fated sister ships remains just to the south of the Circle Line pier. Brooklyn Bridge is to the far right.

Ian Mackenzie
09-21-2007, 05:15 PM
The next few posts are a glimpse of the city from the hop on hop off bus tour ending in a display of light anc color in Times Square.

It was quite good tour as we tracked though the various aspects of the city. Midtown, the Gardenh, the rag trade and fashion districts, down Seventh avenue to Greenwich Village through Soho and then down Broadway to Battery Point. Then back up to East Village and the United Nations Building.

Ian Mackenzie
09-21-2007, 05:38 PM
More images of the tour:

The Empire State Building, the 911 memorial and the club area. We did pass ground zero on a night tour I did later that evening. It was a dark, sad, large empty space.

Ian Mackenzie
09-21-2007, 05:49 PM
Here we comeback up the city to the United Nations

The facade of all those style of apartments is cast iron. Some more familiar sights, I think that bridge shot will end up in Don's bridges thread.

So you can see the NY city scape is quite dynamic....The best it yet to come.

Ian Mackenzie
09-21-2007, 06:05 PM
These images are from other other side of the Brooklyn Bridge.

We stopped from an Ice cream and I managed to set up the camera on self timer for these night shots. Then back up to the city.

Ian Mackenzie
09-21-2007, 06:16 PM
These images are of Times Square.

opimax
09-21-2007, 07:26 PM
Beautiful shots , sorry I couldn't make it up for the "crawl"

My one time in NYC the most unusual memory was the lights in Times Square produced noticeable heat, not even real close to them, it just struck me as I wasn't expecting it all.

Mark

Ian Mackenzie
09-21-2007, 09:14 PM
We opted to do other things like sailing and bike riding over the weekend so don't feel bad about it!

Here is Central Park on Friday 7th September 2007..my birthday it so happened. I had an early Thursday night after such a big day touring the city so I was up early. This was to be a day of leisure...a walk in the Park and later on lunch in Greenwich Village. Then the train down to Coney Island for the ride of my life..!

It is hard to imagine that in a place so clean and beautiful you would fall prey to the less friendly people.

It is not the case in NY City these days. In fact I had more issues with street beggars and undesireables in Chicago than anywhere else in the USA.

Ian Mackenzie
09-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Some more images of Central Park NY.

Ian Mackenzie
09-21-2007, 09:40 PM
This is where I would like to live..in my dreams....

So its good bye New York for now..

Fred Sanford
09-22-2007, 05:22 AM
This is where I would like to live..in my dreams....

So its good bye New York for now..

Hi Ian- is that second pic West 11th street? If so, I had two clients on that block with large AV installations, if I was still in town I could have given you a tour.

Here's one of the houses, my favorite clients ever (there are JBLs behind the grey grilles in the top right pic, and a large screen drops down in front for the projector):

http://www.kljarch.com/projects/townhouses/w11.html

...and their two houses on LI, one of which has a pair of 240Ti:

http://www.kljarch.com/projects/beachhouses/sagaponack.html

http://www.kljarch.com/projects/beachhouses/sagaponack2.html

Sorry I wasn't still a Noo Yawkah, would have loved to give you a look inside some of these rich folks' systems.

je

Ian Mackenzie
09-22-2007, 05:36 AM
Yes I think is was.

I really like that area.

Thanks for the links.

Ian

Zilch
09-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Any pics of Eldorado, Ian? :bouncy:

edgewound
09-22-2007, 01:17 PM
Great pics, Ian.

Now I want to go see New York and Chicago....and Australia.

Ian Mackenzie
09-22-2007, 02:13 PM
The short answer is no..but goes watch that TV interview link posted in another thread on Coney island.

Its a really neat place to see..I got there late in the afternoon so it was too dark to photograph.

Scotty and I talked about his system and everythng JBL/Altec for a good while and I met his mum and dad...very nice people and down to earth.

I would not descibe Scotty as a gear nut but a serious audio guy who really knows good sound and works by his ears and not what he reads. His sound system at Eldorado was shaking the building when I was there.

We then went on a ride called the Cyclone....I went real quiet after that. I think my balls flew off into the crowd on the last twist and turn if you know what I mean....LOL

I am going to consult on modifying on of Scotty's Urei active crossvers.

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
09-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Here is something funny.

On the way back I had to get a connection for the Long island Railway out to see Robert.

So I got to Jamaica and walked up the subway to find the Long Island Railway station. I was standing on the sidewalk of this busy hwy (4-5 lanes both ways) with my bag trying to see where the station is.

This guy comes up and says hey man I bet you got a question? (obviously I look like a tourist...a really thirsty tourist actually)

I said yep I do. How did you know?

Is this The Land of the Giants?

Where am I?...LOL

He said Uh........ I said come on you must get that show out here!!

Oh I get it he said...The station is right over there...take the lights down at the curve.......hey man that was funny.

At this point I could have killed for a beer...............

Rob took care of my thirst not long after....

Titanium Dome
09-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Did you have a dog while at Coney Island?

Ian Mackenzie
09-23-2007, 12:18 PM
I am not sure what we had but it ws nice.

Ian Mackenzie
09-23-2007, 12:28 PM
Great pics, Ian.

Now I want to go see New York and Chicago....and Australia.

Yep.

I showed my family the pics over the weekend and everyone has the travel bug.

A vacation like this one is not so much a holiday but an experience.

I suppose I could summarise it as :

Meeting the Lansing Forum Gang,
The Lansing history experience (Steve Schell),
The 43XX experience (Rick),
The New York experience and
The Long Island Getaway (thanks to Rob and Izza...yet to be published, a nice break from all the running around)

JBL 4645
09-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Ian

A wonderfully gallery of pictures that was. :)

Ian Mackenzie
09-24-2007, 03:28 PM
Well here is my visit to Long Island.....

My expedition actually. Rather than go on a pub craw (and sack everyone) Rob took me out sailing and we did a bike ride on Sunday.

Over to captain Hammel.

Okay we are ready to go.

Ooops, the captain's nodded off........must have been that visitor keeping you up the night before!

Let me take the Helm says Izza.

The sail's up and we are on our way.

Ah ha, could be a pirate ship

Ian Mackenzie
09-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Look, we have found dry land....

Look..I knew it...Someones been here before us...looks like Giskard discovered America.......LOL

Look like a nice place for a swim.....but watch out for JAWS.

Okay, we're going bush.....more later.

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
09-24-2007, 03:51 PM
Wow,

This looks like the entrance to Jurassic park.

Rob was the only one game enough to step put in the front garden.

Knock knock...this voice voice yells out Giskard's on the phone to the JBL factory..come back later....

Okay, lets find a watering hole......shucks