PDA

View Full Version : 2245 box ideas

rbrandt73
07-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Hi I have one 2245 in a jbl box that I believe is 9.0 cu.ft. I hear everybody rave about them, but I havent been impressed with mine. When I first got it I thought it might need to be re-coned, it would bottom out so I switched to a lower power amp, and I dont have that problem. But its not what I expected. I wanted to use it for HT, would it be better if I got a sub plate amp? I was looking at one from parts express a 1,000 watt, any idea's for different box ideas or anything I would like to hear from you. My main speakers are K-Horn bottoms with 2445j mids, and 2404 for HF. Thanks ryan

speakerdave
07-01-2007, 08:30 PM
I don't believe one 2245 will suffice for sub service below a pair of Khorns unless you are fairly restrained in your output requirements (which of course is not what you have khorns for). Over-driving is over-driving; doesn't matter what amp you use.

Also, you weren't specific about the box, but it could be you are driving the 2245 below tuning, and that would unload it. If you put a high pass in the path just below tuning of the box you will protect the woofer from low frequency energy below port tuning then you can maybe drive it hard enough without damaging it. Likely though, that the real solution would be an additional 18" JBL woofer.

David

Zilch
07-01-2007, 08:41 PM
What Dave said.

See also, particularly about BX63(A):

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/reference/technical/1983-subs.htm

Vottboy
03-19-2017, 04:48 PM
Hi I have one 2245 in a jbl box that I believe is 9.0 cu.ft. I hear everybody rave about them, but I havent been impressed with mine. When I first got it I thought it might need to be re-coned, it would bottom out so I switched to a lower power amp, and I dont have that problem. But its not what I expected. I wanted to use it for HT, would it be better if I got a sub plate amp? I was looking at one from parts express a 1,000 watt, any idea's for different box ideas or anything I would like to hear from you. My main speakers are K-Horn bottoms with 2445j mids, and 2404 for HF. Thanks ryan

2245Hs work best at 50hz and below from my experience. 1KW is too much power. These are efficient drivers, not power hogs.