PDA

View Full Version : Ripped off via ebay - the 6260 Amp Saga

hjames
07-01-2007, 08:12 AM
I've moved this thread here as I don't want to drift my 4341 thread off topic. Before I bought the 4341s, I was collecting drivers and cabinets as a low budget DIY 4 way project. After Zilch loaned me his traveling 2 way kit, I made plans to biamp whatever I built. Based on information from Tom and Zilch, I decided to collect some JBL/UREI electronics, for the amp and active crossover side of my system. I didn't want to deal with fan noise, so I decided to use a 6230 for the higher frequency side of the biamp, and to use a 6260 for the Woofers. Know that the 6260 amp weight about 50 lbs, so shipping can cost quite a lot for such a heavy amp.

I tracked some ebay sales for 6260 amps but watched a number of them went for $200 and up ...
Then I found this ad.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180105618113
I exchanged emails to find out what he meant about "questionable distortion" and was told that when he tested it sometimes he couldn't even hear any distortion and wasn't sure there was even a problem. I told him the shipping charge seemed high but he said it was heavy and costs a lot.
I bid and won, paid the $180 immediately with paypal, but when I wrote to ask him to let me know when it shipped (my usual procedure), my email bounced! I wrote a couple more time, same result. I tried the ebay message system, no answer. At this point it seemed like a rip off to me, and he had my money!

So - I filed an paypal complaint form. The form had a multiple choice drop down box for "Reason for the complaint" the only answer that applied was "Didn't receive item". So I clicked that and waited. 2 days later I got an email from another email address that he had shipped my amp the day of the sale (but Fed ex tracking info disagreed and said he shipped AFTER I filed the complaint).
But I wasn't going to close the dispute until I actually received the amp. Of course, when the amp arrived, it was REALLY packed lousy - Sent from CA to VA with no foam, no cushioning, in an undersized box that was taped tightly to hold it around the amp. Definately NOT the $80 shipping I had paid for!

I opened the box up and thought it smelled burned. I noticed right away the plastic nuts for the speaker terminals were ... melted and mishapped. How the heck do you do THAT?
I decided to look into the amp - found a melted ribbon cable, burn marks on one of the large caps in the back, a melted wire with burn/smoke marks against the PC Board - in short it was such a mess I was afraid to even plug it in, much less connect it to my speakers!

hjames
07-01-2007, 08:12 AM
I had worked paypal Dispute system - but because my original dispute was "Item no received" and I finally got something (even though it was junk) they ruled against my dispute and sided with the seller.

The dispute system is a joke - they CLAIM to send emails to the buyer and seller at each step of the way, but I never got anything, nothing was captured in my junk mail or bulk mail folders, nothing.

Under their system you can only file one dispute per sale, so I was just SOL. Paypal Buyer Protection indeed!!

So - I went through their web pages looking for an actual contact phone number or email and found an email address and wrote, and got a smarmy response from someone at Paypal who said I could just called the Customer Service number that was listed in their help system.
Next day after work I did, and got "Mary", who, i am convinced, was in Bangalore or somewhere similar. We spoke, and went round and round, but it became pretty obvious that her only role was to be nice to me, and that she couldn't actually DO anything. I trie to escalate to a supervisor but that got me no where.

I mentioned that my VISA card had buyer Protection and I although I didn't want to dispute the bill, I apparently had no choice. Her answer was that maybe that was what I should do (!!) It was pretty obvious that they were there to stonewall me, politely, with a pleasant voice, but - with no actual help for me. I am not going to keep calling a customer service line over and over again, hoping that one one of my calls I will actually get someone helpful. I'd made 2 calls and that was enough.
I had worked the PayPal dispute form, worked their emails, worked their phone-in number - ENOUGH ALREADY!
I gave up on them - my time is valuable and there are other ways to get results.

Fortunately, I had paid Paypal from my VISA Card - so I called Bank of America - and worked their system. 3 calls later and the hell of voicemail at the bank, I reached a guy who says he'll send me a form in a few days to fill out and return and start the process.
One week later and no form- so I call again - and reach someone else who says the form I want is right on the back of my monthly statement (!) - so I fill that out, print off a set of pictures of the burned up amp, with notes explaining what all the burn marks mean. About 3 weeks later I get a form in the mail from Bank of America. Its a written dispute form with very specific instructions to fill it out so they can go after the seller for the money. I filled THAT form out, make a copy, and send IT off. And don't hear anything more.

hjames
07-01-2007, 08:25 AM
Today's update!

On Monday June 25th, nearly 3 weeks later, I get yet a different form to fill out and retun to continue the process. At this point its pretty obvious no one really wants to give me back my money, unless I stand on leg, hop up and down for a week, and then pee into the little jar ...

Last week was REALLY busy at work, and I just haven't had a chance to print out the full set of 8 x 10 glossy pictures of the trash amp - I figured maybe this week.

We took my brother & his wife to dinner last night (he turns 50 on July 3rd) so I checked my bank account this morning - and noticed a credit for $180 on my VISA card ...

Outstanding - it FINALLY came through. I paid for the amp April 17 - and today, July 1st, I have been reimbursed - nearly 10 weeks since it began.

SUPERBEE
07-01-2007, 08:26 AM
Did you look up his contact info and call the seller? You can also call Paypal and raise a ruckus. The squeeky wheel gets the grease. If the first Bangalore denizen you reach at paypal is not helpfull ask for a supervisor (Nicely) I recently had a go round over that damaged JVC amp for my brother and after 3 people got Paypal to do a partial refund.

hjames
07-01-2007, 09:11 AM
The seller is apparently some record producer in Studio City - but there was no way to contact him after the initial series of emails BEFORE payment was made. With paypal I saw the money had gone to his account, even saw his real name , but working the system wasn't getting me anywhere. Fortunately, I do all my ebay stuff using a VISA card, and THAT was how I got my money back, in full.

Paypal "Buyer Protection" was a joke and was completely useless to me.

just4kinks
07-01-2007, 09:18 AM
It sounds like you are handling it well. VISA should give you more protection than Paypal. Paypal protection is a joke.... Even if you had filed it as "Item Not As Described", Paypal would demand a written estimate from a shop that repairs amplifiers. And the estimate would be out of YOUR pocket. There goes about half of your $180. If you send them a photo of a burnt circuit board, they won't even look at it. They avoid all the responsibility of making the decision themselves.

Also, if you end up with negative feedback over this, you might be able to get it removed.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-abuse-withdrawal.html
-> additional information

Feedback left by a member who provided eBay with false contact information and could not be contacted.

Good luck getting your money back. Edit: Nevermind, I guess I missed a post in there. Glad it worked out for you!

Ian Mackenzie
07-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Heather,

Bad experience with Paypal.

I had a similar experience.

My recmmendation is do NOt buy used electronics on Ebay unless you know the seller.

Edit: Refine that to power amps. Why? They are often abused and prone to failure.

hjames
07-01-2007, 03:04 PM
Well, I bought an active crossover - and it was perfect out of the box.

Then I bought the 6260 that was burned up junk.

The next amp I bought was a JBL 6230, for the high freq side of my biamp lans. It was very clean, but was DOA. Power light but no sound
I did a bit of checking, and found it had an internal wirewound fuse that had apparently separated in shipping. Popped a new fuse in and its a sweet amp. Plus the seller gave me a small rebate for taking the time to troubleshoot the problem. He was quite an honourable guy!

The 3rd amp I bought (another 6260) was poorly packed but works fine.

So - of the 4 pieces of electronics I bought in the last 6 months - only one was bad - but it was a real bad deal. I figure he PLANNED to rip the buyer off.

If you are going to buy electronics through ebay, use a credit card with a Buyer protection plan -- thats the ONLY thing that saved me from the rip-off.

Zilch
07-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Yet to come: the "Dear Heather" commuiqué from the pleasant folks at Paypal.

I'm adding this one to my "Artists' Guide to eBay" book.... :p

jim campbell
07-03-2007, 08:34 AM
Well, I bought an active crossover - and it was perfect out of the box.

Then I bought the 6260 that was burned up junk.

The next amp I bought was a JBL 6230, for the high freq side of my biamp lans. It was very clean, but was DOA. Power light but no sound
I did a bit of checking, and found it had an internal wirewound fuse that had apparently separated in shipping. Popped a new fuse in and its a sweet amp. Plus the seller gave me a small rebate for taking the time to troubleshoot the problem. He was quite an honourable guy!

The 3rd amp I bought (another 6260) was poorly packed but works fine.

So - of the 4 pieces of electronics I bought in the last 6 months - only one was bad - but it was a real bad deal. I figure he PLANNED to rip the buyer off.

If you are going to buy electronics through ebay, use a credit card with a Buyer protection plan -- thats the ONLY thing that saved me from the rip-off.the shame of it all is that the savings garnered from carefully shopping the net can all be wiped out by a single bad seller.......ive had one bad e bay deal (item not received) and it has made all the other good ones much less attractive......and much less cost effective

brutal
07-03-2007, 12:11 PM
I got burned on a pair of 128-H for my L112's years ago when I was rebuilding. The seller claimed "mint" (although refoamed). The refoam was OK, alas, they were both missing the gaskets, and one VC was rubbing badly. I sent the "rub-er" out with my stockers for recone. Did a little horse trading and ended up with a discount on the recone by donating the basket to the shop. I still have the other here, it just needs gaskets, but I'm guessing the spider is a little tired.

Recently got singed a little on a set of 431x grills. Turned out to be poor knock-offs made from ply instead of MDF and have to periodically "de-warp" them.

JBL 4645
09-01-2007, 08:31 PM
What a cheeky little bugger that person is! Do you want me to find out where lives and bust his kneecaps in:D! I would be fuming with anger if I had an item turning up in that conduction!

Lucky for me I decided to bottle out on Ebay I don’t want no part in Ebay I’d sooner buy it brand new in the box or second-hand but! I’d want to inspect the item before parting cash over!

Oh dear Heather, you poor lamb, you’re not having much luck here there are places in the US that supply ex cinema PA equipment.

What the hell was this moron using on it a soldering iron!:blink:

hjames
09-01-2007, 09:07 PM
Well, you're a bit behind the times, he he.
The burned up amp arrived 2 months ago. I tried to work the complain through the regular channels, and got no satisfaction with ebay "protection",
but since I bought it with a VISA card, I disputed the charge as Fraud and got ALL of my money back from that deal.

I took that money and got another 6260 amp from another seller in PA and it works GREAT! My downstairs system is just fine now with nearly 1000watts of power across all the speakers (the B380 sub has an HK Citation 22 bridged & puts over 400watts, the 4341s are biamped, running off JBL 6260 (200w/chx2) for the woofers, and JBL 6230 (110w/ch x2) ... music is quite superb, and it cranks for movies, too! (BTW, its recording studio and sound reinforcement gear - not "ex-cinema stuff") (see first 2 pictures below).
As you can see, the gear is spotless.

The Last ebay exploit was some moron that I bought a beautiful Yamaha receiver from - she packed it with bubble-pack and wadded newspaper - it got beat to death during the shipment - I complained and raised hell - she got the package and can argue with the Post office about her packing techniques. Meanwhile, I got my Money back and moved on ...
I took that money, went back to ebay and got a beautiful 125w/ch Yamaha receiver afterwards - very sweet sound with 0.02% thd and nice bass (for Madge or anything else with good bass). That receiver runs my upstairs speakers just fine now. I've replaced the green dial lamps already - need to open it again and solder in new lamps for the meters and FM dial cursor - but I plan to refinish the cabinet in red oak veneer, so I'm in no rush ...

Oh dear Heather, you poor lamb, you’re not having much luck here
there are places in the US that supply ex cinema PA equipment.

JBL 4645
09-01-2007, 09:23 PM
You really are behind the times, he he .
The burned up amp arrived over 2 months ago. I worked the regular channels, and got no satisfaction with ebay "protection,
but since I bought with a VISA card, I disputed the charge and got ALL of my money back from that deal anyway.
(This "lamb" has teeth and kitty claws).

Stay off ebay if you like, that leaves more good stuff for the rest of us (grin)

Well that would explain the extraordinary strength you have to lift large loudspeakers and amplifiers around then.:D

http://www.splicedonline.com/04reviews/catwoman.jpg

Hay I’m not going to lose any sleep over Ebay there are plenty of places in the UK to get ex JBL cinema gear from.:p

hjames
09-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Well that would explain the extraordinary strength you have to lift large loudspeakers and amplifiers around then.
:p

You are a funny little sod, aren'tcha?

Gads - its 6Am over in wee olde Burnmouth!
Well, I'm tired of your silly screen caps,
I'm afraid you'll have to take your bored self and find someone else to troll, I'm off to bed now.

JBL 4645
09-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Nah, I don't lift them - gahh!
Thats crude - I use hand trucks and skids to roll them around, nice and easy

Oh dear you are funny at times love.:D

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/4174SA63RNL._AA280_.jpg

So you’re not dressing up by any chance and prowling the streets in the dead of night are you?:D

Do you plan to buy so many JBL 6260 amplifiers or do you have limit to how many you need for the task at hand?

JBL 4645
01-06-2008, 11:05 PM
I just saw this under JBL loudspeakers, and I thought of you Heather, after getting ripped off, :( with the JBL 6260, I guess this used to go after those rotten Ebay sellers!:D

http://www.leisurepro.com/Image/Product/Large/JBLD6.jpg
http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-D6-Mini-Carbine-Speargun-spear-gun-D-6-New_W0QQitemZ320204384032QQihZ011QQcategoryZ47353Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hjames
01-07-2008, 03:34 AM
My last post here was September 2, 2007 - the conversation had ended ...
The original conversation came to an end July 1st ... http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=175949&postcount=8

(also see post #3) ... checked my bank account this morning - and noticed a credit for $180 on my VISA card ... Outstanding - it FINALLY came through. I paid for the amp April 17 - and today, July 1st, I have been reimbursed - nearly 10 weeks since it began.

But if you MUST start up dead conversations ...

I tell you 3 times, so perhaps you will remember.

I did not get ripped off, because I got all my money back.

Think of it as an attempted ripoff, at worst ...

Hofmannhp
01-07-2008, 04:58 AM
:applaud::applaud::applaud:

HP

scorpio
01-07-2008, 01:33 PM
I took that money and got another 6260 amp from another seller in PA and it works GREAT! My downstairs system is just fine now with nearly 1000watts of power across all the speakers (the B380 sub has an HK Citation 22 bridged & puts over 400watts, .

Hello Heather, I've been meaning to ask you the question for a while as I know you've used your citation 22 in your main set up before getting the UREI amps, how would you compare the two? I'm asking because I'm running an active system and drive the bass with a citation 22 (but used in stereo at it's 200W/channel) - and wonder if it would be beneficial to change it for something like a crown or UREI I read so much about in this place, and as you have some direct experience,... As such it sounds OK to me, but I've been told time and again that it's only a 'so so' amp and would be better off changing it (the guys telling me this are all deep into flame linear, which I don't feel ready to try). I've got plenty of other pieces I'd like to upgrade, but since I'm limiting myself to the two second hand shops I have close by (don't want to buy amps on e-bay, does that sound strange to you?) - if ever one of these pops-up and would be a valid change, I'd rather be prepared!

Thanks for your help and time!

hjames
01-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Good question, thanks!

Its been well over 6 months since I used the Citation 22 to run the woofers
in my biAmped mains instead of the 6260s I now use. I have the crossover set at 290 Hz so it really just ran the bass. Both amps sound quite full and tight - I'm not sure there was any signal quality gain (or loss) swapping the JBL/Urei 6260.

The plus for me was the Urei has gain controls, is rack mountable and has more conventional banana Output jacks - the tradeoff is that its got phone and XLR jacks for the inputs.

The Citation has conventional input jacks but those weird output jacks, plus I felt it important to set it up on blocks to improve the draft (airflow).
Now I just run it bridged to power that B380 (sub) when we watch movies.

So - what do you use as a crossover - does it have balance or unbalanced signal ins and outs?

Hello Heather, I've been meaning to ask you the question for a while as I know you've used your citation 22 in your main set up before getting the UREI amps, how would you compare the two? I'm asking because I'm running an active system and drive the bass with a citation 22 (but used in stereo at it's 200W/channel) - and wonder if it would be beneficial to change it for something like a crown or UREI I read so much about in this place, and as you have some direct experience,... As such it sounds OK to me, but I've been told time and again that it's only a 'so so' amp and would be better off changing it (the guys telling me this are all deep into flame linear, which I don't feel ready to try). I've got plenty of other pieces I'd like to upgrade, but since I'm limiting myself to the two second hand shops I have close by (don't want to buy amps on e-bay, does that sound strange to you?) - if ever one of these pops-up and would be a valid change, I'd rather be prepared!

Thanks for your help and time!

scorpio
01-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks Heather!

I'm using a 5235 cross over which has both XLR and 'strip' connectors, balanced in, unbalanced out. Right now, I'm using them via the strip connectors but think that this does contribute somewhat to the hiss, I need to get XLR adaptors to try out that way.

You're right for the output connectors of the 22, they are a pain, I'm using fairly thick Monster cable for the woofs, and it is not obvious to connect.

hjames
01-07-2008, 03:39 PM
After swinging the Citation back and forth a number of times those darned connectors about made me crazy! I had put banana jacks on the cables for the mains, so I came up with a simple "patchbay" so that I only had to make connections to those crazy Citation plugs once! It can't short out easily, and its easy to tie to for Bridged Mono or stereo (tho I'd need to thro a switch on the amp to switch modes).

Well, I should put banana jacks on my Subwoofer leads -

Thanks Heather!

You're right for the output connectors of the 22, they are a pain, I'm using fairly thick Monster cable for the woofs, and it is not obvious to connect.

SEAWOLF97
01-07-2008, 03:51 PM
, so I came up with a simple "patchbay" -

do they work well when speaker leads are connected to LEFT neg and to RIGHT neg ?

to comment on eBay crap......my old engineer friend in Germany called us on Christmas, he won an auction on German eBay, never received item, contacted ebay and was told there is no buyer protection like US ebay. Can any of our German members confirm ??

hjames
01-07-2008, 04:14 PM
do they work well when speaker leads are connected to LEFT neg and to RIGHT neg ?

You connect to the two NEG connections when you run it in Bridged Mono mode - Roughly 400watts (peaks around 600w) - perfect for a B380 Subwoofer!

But it does look funky for those in the know ...

boputnam
01-07-2008, 05:28 PM
...I came up with a simple "patchbay" ... :blink:

Heather, you almost went native on us! That there is damned fundamental!! :p

I've been searching the forums, fruitlessly - there were some quasi-recent posts about a speaker switching box (on Parts Express) that was damned cool, and would do your bidding slightly more, shall we say, conventionally.... :rotfl:

Anyone know the post(s)?

SMKSoundPro
01-07-2008, 06:28 PM
- Roughly 400watts (peaks around 600w) - perfect for a B380 Subwoofer!

But it does look funky for those in the know ...

"You connect to the two NEG connections when you run it in Bridged Mono mode"

ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THIS???????????

Please see bottom of page 8.
http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vintage%20JBL-UREI%20Electronics/JBL-6230_%206260manual.pdf

Respectfully Submitted,

Scotty.

hjames
01-07-2008, 07:41 PM
I appreciate you folks are really trying to help me ... but - its NOT a 6260 amp, its a Citation 22 ...

So, just to be sure, I got my camera, spun the amp around, and took a picture of those monster "b*stard Banana jacks" - and the factory label ...
So - waddya think??

Bo, Grumpy, Scotty - its really not what you'd expect ...

hjames
01-07-2008, 07:56 PM
hah :) perhaps the red terminals are screwed in where the black ones belong....
That would be consistent with the manual (and yes, attempting to be helpful as opposed to being correct for it's own sake)
-grumpy

hmmm - mebbe so ... the PDF manual from HK.com, being black and white, didn't help too much.
So I just followed the amp's labels to hook it up (its got fearsome bass, must be right :D).

Well, I HATE to mess with those big connectors they tend to chew the ends off your wires and you have to fan them out and roll them over the edges of those big "nuts" or clamps.

EDIT - yep, As you say Grumpy, I suspect the previous owner must have reversed the screw-on caps. The Manual says the connect to the RED connections for BRIDGED MONO, so it looks like its I can just swap the caps to make the top connectors RED (then flip the wires on my patchbay so its tied to both POS connections jacks).

Sorry to FREAK everyone out - whats a little colour code error amongst friends?

JBL 4645
01-09-2008, 11:02 AM
"You connect to the two NEG connections when you run it in Bridged Mono mode"

ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THIS???????????

Please see bottom of page 8.
http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vintage%20JBL-UREI%20Electronics/JBL-6230_%206260manual.pdf

Respectfully Submitted,

Scotty.

SMK

That’s more or less what I was thinking, my Alesis RA300 is simple to hook up for (bridge monaural) use offering higher output, I only tried it once, that is until I have enough to go around many times over.

Nice job on that Heather, I know, its like the first idea that pops into mind, there’s plenty of speaker switching boxes around, you could even make a DIY version custom made to allow as many as you require.:)

hjames
01-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Thanks - its not meant to be permanent, it was just a quick way to avoid using those wackoo HK connectors, and it worked just fine for that.
Making it T shaped means it can't roll over and short on the amp easily.

Last night I decided to swap the plastic caps and get black on GND and red caps on top - and, when I screwed the red cap into the top left plastic column, it seized 90% of the way in. I managed to get it out with GREAT caution and difficulty, (and a gentle but LARGE crescent wrench!).
I tried to rethread it (by hand only) but even with a few drops of WD-40 it would still stiffen up at a certain point.
But the OTHER red cap didn't!! And it didn't seize on the right connector (!). So, I swapped them left to right!!
Now, at least its color coded correctly!

Nice job on that Heather, I know, its like the first idea that pops into mind, there’s plenty of speaker switching boxes around, you could even make a DIY version custom made to allow as many as you require.:)

JBL 4645
01-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks - its not meant to be permanent, it was just a quick way to avoid using those wackoo HK connectors, and it worked just fine for that.
Making it T shaped means it can't roll over and short on the amp easily.

Last night I decided to swap the plastic caps and get black on GND and red caps on top - and, when I screwed the red cap into the top left plastic column, it seized 90% of the way in. I managewd to get it out with GREAT caution and difficulty, but even with a few drops of WD-40 it would still stiffen up at a certain point. but the OTHER red cap didn't!! And it didn't seize on the right connector (!).
But at least its color coded correctly now!

Heather

(Mole grips) is what you need, warp a cloth around the plug and place the grips around and give it a little jolt, that’s for next time, mind you.:)
http://www.diracdelta.co.uk/science/source/p/l/pliers/molegrips001.jpg

SMKSoundPro
01-09-2008, 03:04 PM
You're amazing, Miss Heather!

Sorry to create a stir about your color caps.

Now I understand better, and the next person that owns that amp will too!

I have a 6230 here, if you need another.

Scott.

hmolwitz
01-10-2008, 12:59 PM
If you want to do it right get out a Tap and Die set, and clean up both sets of threads. Sometime if you just crank on that stuff with the pliers you wind up with a striptight mess.

YMMV
Harry

hjames
01-10-2008, 01:13 PM
If you want to do it right get out a Tap and Die set, and clean up both sets of threads. Sometime if you just crank on that stuff with the pliers you wind up with a striptight mess.

YMMV
Harry

Its molded plastic, its a very large thread with a weird pin inset to the bottom to spread the wires when the "nut" is cranked down. Its a HUGE nut and thread (check the pics!)
No doubt its some a custom piece that is probably long since out of production.

If I was to "do it right" I'd just replace that badly designed connector and install a standard gold 5-way binding post. But I believe it mounts to the main circuit board and I'd just as soon not disturb that on an old somewhat rare amp.

Thus, the "patch panel" so THAT takes the stress of connecting and reconnecting things.

P.Warner
01-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Hi Heather,

One little detail. I notice on the Citation 22 that you have your Speaker Operating Mode switches set to 8 Ohms. For 8 to 16 Ohms Bridged, The switches should be at 4 Ohms each. http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=30375&stc=1&d=1199760081
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg

hjames
01-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Hi Heather,
One little detail. I notice on the Citation 22 that you have your Speaker Operating Mode switches set to 8 Ohms. For 8 to 16 Ohms Bridged, The switches should be at 4 Ohms each.

Okay, thanks!
I've already flipped the caps to match the polarity ... (new pic Fri night if time allows).
I spun the amp again and flipped the switched UP to the 4 Ohm pos ...
but, its bedtime (5am comes early!) ...
maybe we can run a movie tomorrow night and see if there is a diff ...

But the text for Stereo Mode doesn't completely make sense -

STEREO MODE -
4-16 Ohms in 4 Ohm Operating Mode
8-16 Ohms in 8 Ohm Operating Mode
BRIDGED MONO -
8-16 Ohms in 4 Ohm Operating Mode

Hey - who needs spikes with a concrete slab and heavy amps on top of the monitors!

JBL 4645
01-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Doesn’t temperature also change with the differences in the (impedance) as well?