PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Re-foaming

Allanvh5150
06-24-2007, 10:51 PM
Hi all,

I have just done my first ever refoams on some PR300's and some 128's. I used Rick Cobbs kit which worked a treat. My question is, why do some of the so-called experts insist on putting the foam on the front of the cone. From my limited experience I dont see how doing it wrong can save any time. I did each of my refoams in about 30 minutes a pop. I am sure evryone has some dealing with foam on the wrong side of the cone. I can higly recomend that you have a go yourself as it is, in my opinion, a very easy task for anyone with the inclination to do it.

Allan.:)

j50
06-25-2007, 09:18 AM
HI Allanvh5150, (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/member.php?u=6653)
This is my 1st post. I found this site while searching for info on how to refoam my JBL L100T's. Can you, (or any other members) recommend places to buy the necessary materials/ or provide tips on how to do this correctly. My L100T's are currently acting as lamp stands. I'm getting my old gear out of storage- Kenwood M2A amp, C2 control amp, KT880 tuner, and a Technics SL-L92 turn table. This gear hasn't pumped out any sound for about 17 years and I am looking forward to getting it up and sounding sweet again. Thank you!

Mr. Widget
06-25-2007, 09:35 AM
Here is a good old thread that should help you along... there are also others.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=469

Welcome aboard... glad you saved that old gear!

Widget

j50
06-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Here is a good old thread that should help you along... there are also others.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=469

Welcome aboard... glad you saved that old gear!

Widget

Thank's for the quick and helpful reply. I purchased that gear back in the early 80's. I went out to buy a new "needle" for my old cheapo turn table, and came home with better than 2 grand worth of gear. That went over REALLY big. But everyone at home loved the music.!:)

Allanvh5150
06-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Hi J50, checkout the link that Mr Widget posted. It is a pretty easy job. Drop Rick Cobb an email [email protected] , tell him what you have and I'm sure he will get you what you need. He sends instructions as well.

and, wecome aboard.

Allan:)

j50
06-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Hi J50, checkout the link that Mr Widget posted. It is a pretty easy job. Drop Rick Cobb an email [email protected] , tell him what you have and I'm sure he will get you what you need. He sends instructions as well.

and, wecome aboard.

Allan:)

Thank you Allan. I've already ordered the kit for the L100T's from Mr. Cobb. I'm looking forward to getting my old system up and running. I will use the info provided in the 'how to' article. I liked the pictures of the work shop- but what particularly caught my eye was the New Riders of the Purple Sage patch on the right of the picture- one of my favorite records. Can't wait to start spinnin' some of my favorite vinyl's again.
p.s. I did reference the web site in my order.