PDA

View Full Version : Video projection screens on the cheep!

JBL 4645
06-18-2007, 08:53 AM
Now I know this is the correct thread but hear me out I’m trying to save you guys a few pounds or dollars, for this DIY project but seeing JBL is used in the home cinema and what better way than with you’re JBL matching loudspeakers behind a perforated screen with lots of tiny little holes to allow the sound to pass though!

So while shopping over at the Co-Op a short while ago, I noticed one of the the refrigeration units in the store had a screen cover, covering the unit up! After close inspection I saw it was feasible for use with home cinema.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w118/Brainstorm3417/Picture079-1.jpg

The company that supplied the unit is “Enfield refrigeration” based here in the UK. So when the day comes I can always come back to this thread for a reminder!

The size of this one was around 5 foot square although I’m guessing it had a few more feet above it.

All this needs is a good stretch and a few cans of some emulation soft white spray paint and you’re sorted.:applaud:

louped garouv
06-18-2007, 08:58 AM
wouldn't the spray paint clog the screen perforations?

JBL 4645
06-18-2007, 09:22 AM
wouldn't the spray paint clog the screen perforations?

Good piont! Now that kinder slipped my mind! It would have to be done very “these things must be done delicately” otherwise you’d be standing up in front of it for days punching out the holes!:D

Zilch
06-18-2007, 12:06 PM
Look closely: projection screens are reflective.

It's kind of what they're about.

[And also part of why they're not cheap.... :p ]

hjames
06-18-2007, 01:23 PM
There is a HUGE thread about DIY projector screens, surprisingly, at the AV Forums website! http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=110

I think most folks would be better served reading THEIR thread from folks who have thought about it, and done it, and then thought about it some more, and may even be on their 3rd or 4th generation version!

No offense meant - but they talk about the reflective issues Zilch mentioned (to make the most of the lumens pointed at the screen).
Some use reflective paint on a wall, some build their own frames and screens, lots of approaches!

I read the threads there extensively before digging into HD TV and surround sound.
Given the option of some perforated plastic wrap to paint, I'd paint the wall first.

JBL 4645
06-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Or best if a cinema was closing down chances are you’d be able to lay you’re hands on cinema screen but that rarely happens. So I was just thinking out loud on this one and it doesn’t seem too bad at trying it out. So, next time when you’re strapped for cash and you’re in the supermarket, just have a look around for anything to make that project dream screen doable.

Steve Schell
06-23-2007, 12:23 AM
I recently bought an Epson Cinema 400 720p LCD projector and experimented with a variety of cheapo materials to use as a screen. I settled on a 4' by 8' piece of 1/4" Baltic birch plywood that happened to be on hand. Cutting a length off the end brought the size to 85.33" by 48", which maintains a 16:9 ratio. I sanded the nicest side with 320 grit paper on an orbital sander, then applied about 15 coats of very light grey flat latex house paint with a foam roller, sanding between every few coats.

The only screen I have seen so far that I like better is made by Stewart, but it costs two grand!

Mr. Widget
06-23-2007, 10:17 AM
I sanded the nicest side with 320 grit paper on an orbital sander, then applied about 15 coats of very light grey flat latex house paint with a foam roller, sanding between every few coats. There are a few companies that sell specialized paint for this application. Some people actually paint an area of a wall with this paint and then paint a border around it.

Widget

John
06-23-2007, 11:36 AM
I use a run of the mill "Day-lite" screen in my basement threatre with my DLP projector. I was going to build a screen for some odd reason? But then in the local buy and sell a guy had the Day-lite for sale brand new in the box for $100. Retail was about $225 Seems to work!!!:D

If I ever run into a Stewart at a sweet price perhaps I will give it a try, But at retail it costs more than some projectors.:blink:

Steve Schell
06-27-2007, 11:28 PM
Well okay, maybe that title was overly dramatic, but I found out that Epson is now providing a $500 mail in rebate offer for their Cinema 400 projector. This brings the price of the unit on the Costco.com web site down to $899, or $400 less than I paid.

I have been extremely happy with the performance of this 720p LCD projector. Everyone who has seen it says they want one, and one friend already bought one (at the old price!). Nine hundred bucks for a huge, bright, clear, high definition picture is a steal compared to the prices for decent projectors just a year ago.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11175937&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

John
06-27-2007, 11:58 PM
The prices have come down so low on some of these projector's that any one that is serious about owning one and has the room for one can own one.:applaud:

They are the biggest bang for your buck right now.:blah:

And to tell you the truth I think a lot of people that think they do not have the space??? :hmm:

Think again, the screen takes up no space at all and there is a lot of options when it comes to finding a spot for the actual projector. It is pretty much point and shoot with these LCD and DLP units.

The CTR based units of days gone by were a pain in the ass with focus.:blink: Once you spent a few hours or more dialing them in they could not be moved, or there goes your set-up.:bs:

JBL 4645
07-04-2007, 02:24 PM
I recently bought an Epson Cinema 400 720p LCD projector and experimented with a variety of cheapo materials to use as a screen. I settled on a 4' by 8' piece of 1/4" Baltic birch plywood that happened to be on hand. Cutting a length off the end brought the size to 85.33" by 48", which maintains a 16:9 ratio. I sanded the nicest side with 320 grit paper on an orbital sander, then applied about 15 coats of very light grey flat latex house paint with a foam roller, sanding between every few coats.

The only screen I have seen so far that I like better is made by Stewart, but it costs two grand!

2K wow burnt my eyes! I’d go cheep and use some ingenuity and save a few pounds or dollars.

JBL 4645
06-07-2009, 12:34 PM
While looking though for a thread relating to 19” racks I stumbled back onto this one. The screening that is used in shops on fringes with that transparent look.

Thou it’s a bit on the small side and would need painting and the perforations cleared of paint clogs in the holes it would be real dog’s dinners. :D

Allanvh5150
06-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Get a PLASMA!:applaud:

Allan.

JBL 4645
06-07-2009, 01:37 PM

Allan.

LOL No pun mate, I wouldn’t touch plasma for Ł1million pounds, and that’s no joke.

Maybe a small cheap LCD in the future as its lightweight to replace the CRT when it gives, which will be many years as its had very little use in my hands but longer use in friends hands. Its only 9 years old and the SONY was around 16 or 17 years older, now then.

hjames
06-07-2009, 02:17 PM

Allan.

Do they even make plasma to fit the small, perfectly foamed theatre?
maybe a nice little 19 or 21 inch Plasma??

JBL 4645
06-07-2009, 02:35 PM

You can keep plasma! :D You think I’m joking I’m not, I would have one at any cost, not even for free, now then.

I’m just thinking ahead plasma isn’t bad looking its the weight. My dad said "it two of us to put the 1080 up wall at the school." I figured it was lightweight he explained it to me.

So cheap maybe LCD but it won’t change the fact that the platform has to be built around the JBL 4645 due to its depth!

Anyway some LCD look like PANTS! The lagging the dreadful smearing effect over cost!

I’m surprised the LCD video projector doesn’t lag or have the yucky smearing of an LCD flat screen.:barf:

Plus you can’t stick JBL speakers behind these flat screens so what is the point of creating the magic and illusion with flat screen.

And looking at Cape Fear (1991) at 5 feet 11 inches scope this very moment, over 42” inch LCD flat screen that is plagued with lagging I’m more than pleased

“Well, you look good, healthy”
Sam
“Thank you. It’s a struggle to stay healthy in the joint”
Cady
Cape Fear 1991

hjames
06-07-2009, 02:48 PM
You can keep plasma! :D You think I’m joking I’m not, I would have one at any cost, not even for free, now then.

I’m just thinking ahead plasma isn’t bad looking its the weight. My dad said "it two of us to put the 1080 up wall at the school." I figured it was lightweight he explained it to me.

I would have thought the budget issue trumped everything!
I know it does for me - I have a working CRT HDTV and until it dies, it'll serve us just fine!
Its a Philips - bought in Feb 2005- has extended in-home warranty and all of that ...
if it dies THEY come get it!

Now THAT is a monster - something like 340 lbs
seems to work quite nicely

JBL 4645
06-07-2009, 04:21 PM
I would have thought the budget issue trumped everything!
I know it does for me - I have a working CRT HDTV and until it dies, it'll serve us just fine!

How many years use has it had so far?

Is that the HD the one in the pictures I thought it was Panasonic I can just make out a long name not legible enough to see clearly?

Allanvh5150
06-07-2009, 06:21 PM

Probably not.:D

Allanvh5150
06-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Hi Ash,

I recently went from a 29"CRT, which I still have and it works perfect even though it is 15 years old, to a 52" Plasma. Dont get Plasma confused with LCD. LCD are better for a smaller screen size although the are getting better. Plasma is much better on the large screen sizes. There is none of the "smear" that you mention with the plasma screen. I am pretty happy with the results and it only cost $1800NZ (650 sterling).

Allan.

p.s. the 52" weighs in at 100lb's but it doesnt matter because it hangs on the wall.

JBL 4645
06-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Hi Ash,

I recently went from a 29"CRT, which I still have and it works perfect even though it is 15 years old, to a 52" Plasma. Dont get Plasma confused with LCD. LCD are better for a smaller screen size although the are getting better. Plasma is much better on the large screen sizes. There is none of the "smear" that you mention with the plasma screen. I am pretty happy with the results and it only cost $1800NZ (650 sterling).

Allan.

p.s. the 52" weighs in at 100lb's but it doesnt matter because it hangs on the wall.

yeah morning Al

Well this was on a friends that i was seeing this effect. I think I have some pictures of the LCD Samsung 42” his home cinema set-up it’s a few years old now and I’m sure there as been some major improvements. Thou I’ve seen cheap ones at ASDA and the smeared like image is plastered all over the different makes and models???

Unless of course ASDA is getting them from a cheap supplier?