PDA

View Full Version : LH get togehter in SoCal. with Don McRitchie.

Titanium Dome
06-14-2007, 03:27 PM
This Saturday, June 16, we will hold a get together for all Lansing Heritage members able to attend. Our guest from the Great White North will be none other than Don McRitchie.

We'll gather in Long Beach, CA for lunch, beginning at 11:00 AM, then retire to Steve Schell's house around 1:00 PM for an afternoon of listening to his fine system and looking at his amazing collection.

As usual, Don's foreign currency is no good here in the states, so we'll be covering his expenses for the afternoon, not including bail or fines. The rest of you have to pay for yourselves.

We'll be fortunate to have both Don and Steve at once, so it'll be a rare treat. We'll also have an opportunity to make a toast to John Eargle and to hear first-hand from Don about the memorial event and the money we contributed to the scholarship fund.

I will need an RSVP from everyone who intends to join us, as the number of attendees will determine where we can meet, but our target location is wonderful downtown Long Beach on Pine Avenue or at the Pike. From there it's a reasonable drive to Steve's. Once I have the RSVPs in hand, I will make a reservation and post the location.

Please RSVP via PM right away. I'll need to make the reservation by 8:00 PM tomorrow evening.

Are you in???? :bouncy:

Hit me!

boputnam
06-14-2007, 06:16 PM
As usual, Don's foreign currency is no good here in the states, so we'll be covering his expenses for the afternoon...Nice one, Doug!

Boy-howdy, I'd love to make the sojourn, but the week-end is completely saturated with gigs - all-day festivals Sat and Sunday, and a show Sat night. Do let us know what we missed...

porschedpm
06-15-2007, 09:25 AM
Another week later and I could have been there. Great idea though. Let us know how it turns out.

JBLnsince1959
06-15-2007, 10:04 AM
If I had had more warning I would have flown out..however, my mother is with me for two weeks so i'm all tied up:banghead:

hope everyone has a great time:cheers:

let us know how it goes...

Titanium Dome
06-17-2007, 09:34 AM
With such short notice, a number of members lamented that their schedules precluded gathering for lunch yesterday. As it turned out, four pudgy, bearded, middle-aged LH members gathered at Gladstone's outdoor patio on the Pine Ave. Pier in the Pike District of Long Beach CA. We met early, at 11:00 AM, and departed shortly after 1:00 PM after some good eats, good conversation, and extremely good weather.

Our LH quartet consisted of Don, Steve, Glen, and Doug. Glen's beard was easily the longest, and Steve's was the best trimmed. Seated in a booth for four, we enjoyed easy conversation all around. Our server Jessica was attentive but not intrusive, so she got a nice tip.

The topics du jour included these:
JBL Vertec Array installations
JBL Control Series on the patio
The Crystal Cathedral and its pageants
Camel poop and other bad dromedary habits
Aimee Semple (McPherson), her business model, and Robert Schuller
George Augsperger and Glen's Augspergers
JBL vintage drivers and their minute oddities :snore: :snore:
(Just kidding fellas; then when I woke up...)
John Eargle
Project May
Bart Locanthi
Trips to Northridge including Glen's solo excursion
Revel
Japanese audio shops, dedication to hi-fi, and collections
The old JBL factory for sale
L100s and the distinction between herbal and chemical
Possible upcoming events
Toast to John Eargle (by Don), reminiscences, and appreciation

Well, there was more, of course, but some of it can't be repeated and some of it can't be remembered (by me, anyway).

I'd like to thank Don and Steve for taking the time to come down, and thanks to Glen for making the trek on such short notice AND bringing his wallet with him. It truly was a delight.

(No pictures. We're all pretty much a variation on a theme. Nothing to see here.;) )

glen
06-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Well, there was more . . .
Doug had leave up but Don, Steve and I headed over to Steve's place where he cranked up his stereo setup of 1937 vintage Lansing Iconics.

As we listened to CDs of a nice percusive track that showed off the dynamics and smooth sparkling high range Don commented on how the high fidelity digital source had a frequency range, low distortion, and sound to noise ratio that could not have been imagined whe these speakers were made, yet they were fully up to the task.

This made me think of how the signal chain devolving from the high-tech digital source to the modern design tube preamp through the vintage style tube power amps to the 1937 Iconic speakers represented a kind of inverted capsule history of the developement of audio. Kind of like that wierd saying "Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ontogeny_recapitulates_phylogeny&redirect=no)", but not so much really:blink:.

While listening some tasty jazz vocals and vintage country/folk Dr. Bruce Edgar came by and talked a little about some horn speakers he was currently working on and WAF in general before he had to be on his way.

Then Steve cranked up the DVD treating us to some selections from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers in concert. And finally he put on a bit of "Empire of the Sun (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092965/)" which set the Iconics back to the task for which they were originally intended movie sound. They faithfully reproduced everything from the sweet harmonies of a choir to an explosive air raid with gusto.

Nice.

4313B
06-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Sounds like a real nice get together, no pun intended. :)

Then Steve cranked up the DVD treating us to some selections from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers in concert.Got a link on Amazon so I can just click and order? :D

jim campbell
06-20-2007, 06:55 PM
so dome what was the final decision on those revels...............

JohnK
06-21-2007, 04:57 PM
What's this? I missed it? *%7%$@!!

See you guys next time.

Titanium Dome
06-22-2007, 10:48 AM
so dome what was the final decision on those revels...............

That's not really a forum announcement and therefore OT, so I can't comment. ;) In a general way, though, I can suggest that there was approbation. :wtf:

boputnam
06-23-2007, 05:38 PM
...Our server Jessica was attentive but not intrusive, so she got a nice tip."Don't buy Bose"...?

:rotfl: