PDA

View Full Version : Trying to ID some horns Altec / JBL

oldsoundz
06-06-2007, 12:12 PM
They were attached to a pair of 288-8k Altec drivers. No #'s anywhere. I would appreciate any input.

Thanks
Chris

John
06-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Those are Altec horns. Do some work in the Altec library and you should be able to find the info you seek.:blah:

oldsoundz
06-06-2007, 12:34 PM
I cant be sure but it seems you may be. It has a long throat.

John
06-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Well why don't you post some measurements?

oldsoundz
06-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Sure thing. The face is 13 tall x 23 wide, the throat is 1 1/2 diameter with a length of 13 inches from the face to where the driver mounts.:)

Earl K
06-06-2007, 05:22 PM
- Here's a link to the relevant page in the library ( this way there's no wasted bandwidth, because we are looking through the looking glass, so to speak) .

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1993-pro/1993-27.JPG

- My question to you ?
- Why aren't you able to research this stuff quietly on your own ( before you actually post it for sale ) ?

:(

oldsoundz
06-06-2007, 05:40 PM
To clarify;

They have not been posted for sale.

I DID do my research quietly and thought I was sure, but quietly asked another forum member his opinion, and was given the suggestion to post a question and a picture here. This member also suggested that you may be one of the few people able to answer my question/chime in. However, since we can't send picture to one another, I though this would be okay.

Earl K
06-06-2007, 06:22 PM
To Be Clear

- I have absolutely no problem with anyone ( LH member or not ) posting things for sale in either of the two MarketPlace Forums.

- I do have a problem with threads that are really only about sellers covertly researching what things actually are , & what they worth.
- It all seems to happen just before the items are put up for sale.
- IMO, that's a gross manipulation of peoples natural desire to solve a mystery & to lend a helping hand.
- Closely coupling the initial thread of inquiry with that of the "for sale" item allows the seller to build on latent interest ( and any momentum ) gained in the first ( seemingly ) innocent inquiry .

- I'd like to see a 3 week moratorium ( a cooling down period, self imposed by all sellers ) before they advertise their newly "valuated items" .
- Failure to abide by this ( cooling down period ) would result in the removal of the ad from the respective market place ( assuming someone brings the matter to a moderators attention ) .

- Just my 2 cents on the subject / but for what it's worth / it's designed to ward off an ever building backlash to what some of us see as a gross manipulation of our core interest.

Storm
06-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Do I sense a tad bit of jealousy?

:blink:

-Storm.

To Be Clear

- I have absolutely no problem with anyone ( LH member or not ) posting things for sale in either of the two MarketPlace Forums.

- I do have a problem with threads that are really only about sellers covertly researching what things actually are , & what they worth.
- IMO, that's a gross manipulation of peoples natural desire to solve a mystery & to lend a helping hand.
- Closely coupling the initial thread of inquiry with that of the "for sale" item allows the seller to build on latent interest ( and any momentum ) gained in the first ( seemingly ) innocent inquiry .

- I'd like to see a 3 week moratorium ( a cooling down period, self imposed by all sellers ) before they advertise their newly "valuated items" .
- Failure to abide by this ( cooling down period ) would result in the removal of the ad from the respective market place ( assuming someone brings the matter to a moderators attention ) .

- Just my 2 cents on the subject / but for what it's worth / it's designed to ward off an ever building backlash to what some of us see as a gross manipulation of our core interest.

Earl K
06-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Do I sense a tad bit of jealousy?

No Storm!
- I own a small SR company, and as such, I don't need any of the usual stuff to improve my own listening experiences .

:)

Storm
06-06-2007, 07:06 PM
No Storm!
- I own a small SR company, and as such, I don't need any of the usual stuff to improve my own listening experiences .

:)

What does SR mean?

-Storm.

hjames
06-06-2007, 07:23 PM
What does SR mean?

-Storm.
Sound Reinforcement - he does Pro Audio work

Zilch
06-06-2007, 07:47 PM
I suggested General Audio because I didn't know if they were Altec or not.

And that Earl would surely know.

[Didn't know he'd be cranky. :p ]

Like he says, it'd certainly be good if the intent is disclosed up front, tho, if selling's what it's about.... :yes:

kingjames
06-06-2007, 08:02 PM
I don't think it's the opinion's here that determine market value but the market itself. Saying what something is worth by an expert in the field is no guarantee that the item will bring this amount.

I prefer people to ask what they're items are worth whether they are sellers or not. It gives this forum the first sight of such items and in cases where the items are rare a heads up to their availability.

Because a question is asked don't automatically make it for sale whether the person asking has 10 or 10,000 posts.

I post questions on what an item might be because I am not sure of the model number or something then I will research the item and see if it's worth my time to pick it up pack it up and ship.

Let's not assume that everyone who ask's questions on an item's worth is gonna sell, it might just be that their weighing costs factors here.

Storm
06-06-2007, 08:28 PM
I feel the exact, same way.

-Storm.

I don't think it's the opinion's here that determine market value but the market itself. Saying what something is worth by an expert in the field is no guarantee that the item will bring this amount.

I prefer people to ask what they're items are worth whether they are sellers or not. It gives this forum the first sight of such items and in cases where the items are rare a heads up to their availability.

Because a question is asked don't automatically make it for sale whether the person asking has 10 or 10,000 posts.

I post questions on what an item might be because I am not sure of the model number or something then I will research the item and see if it's worth my time to pick it up pack it up and ship.

Let's not assume that everyone who ask's questions on an item's worth is gonna sell, it might just be that their weighing costs factors here.

John
06-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Earl K. Chris only asked who made it and what model #

He never asked what it was worth or what he can get for it!

I think If by chance he happened to post a question about some item you have been searching high and low for a long time, you would of been grinning from ear to ear and sending a PM as fast as you could stroke the keyboard;)

moldyoldy
06-07-2007, 01:31 AM
...- I do have a problem with threads that are really only about sellers covertly researching what things actually are , & what they worth.
- IMO, that's a gross manipulation of peoples natural desire to solve a mystery & to lend a helping hand...

Ditto. In a big way.

There's a big difference between a member buying/selling some personal gear, and somebody making/subsidizing a living reselling gear while mooching the time, experience, and knowledge of others to maximize his profits.

How to tell the difference? People selling personal gear know what they have.

oldsoundz
06-07-2007, 06:09 AM
FUN

Well it's true that I am a seller. I dont try to hide this. But as was said, I simply asked what it was, not it's worth. I value things using this sight after I know what they are.

I know not everybody likes the guy making buck off of the JBL name. Too bad. I have sold speakers to forum members at cost before. I have sold things under what I know they are worth in an effort to keep the peace. I have even given away RARE cabinets in a further effort to keep the peace.

And even though most dont know it, I have contributed cash to this forum as well. Now I may not be as useful/helpful as some of the more knowledegable members of this forum, but I do also give back.

As for Oldymoldy, and Earlk. Why dont you 2 grow up and leave me the hell alone.

Find something else to bitch about ya whiners !!!!!

Anyone who has defended me, THANKS.

Chris

moldyoldy
06-07-2007, 06:36 AM
I'll leave you alone, but I have absolutely no intent of growing up!

kingjames
06-07-2007, 06:52 AM
Ditto. In a big way.

There's a big difference between a member buying/selling some personal gear, and somebody making/subsidizing a living reselling gear while mooching the time, experience, and knowledge of others to maximize his profits.

How to tell the difference? People selling personal gear know what they have.

What's wrong with subsidizing a living whether you're selling JBL,DHL,CHL.ABL, what's wrong with it? I thought in any business that maximizing profits is the reason you sell something.Profit is what makes the availability of rare finds happen.I need gas money to serach these items out and believe me there are more items that I have turned down than bought.It takes money to search for items and you should be happy that someone is doing the dirty work.Ebay I am sure is hated by most people but just think how far you're projects would have gone without them (the sellers)

I will agree that JBL is a good name but I can not afford to keep everything I find with the name JBL on them.I guess I could build a new house big enough to house every single JBL that I find,but then the money would be gone and I wouldn't be able to pay the electric bill.

It is the sellers who provide a service to this forum and the general public.They are the ones who hunt these parts down,they provide an avenue to get these ever so rare parts. What do you think these parts just fall out of the sky into some sellers hand, do you think they'll just fall into you're hands?

In my case with the Altec and JBL stuff that I located at this tv repair shop was a find indeed. I uncovered alot of old and some rare parts new in the boxes. I made good money on them and I don't feel guilty at all. It was I who went into a a basement a little bigger than a crawl space and unearthed these things. I was amongst 10,000 or more spiders when I did this. I cleaned them up sold them and got quite a few emails thanking me for offering some long sought after parts.

I try not to ask here what an item is worth as I can do my own research and don't ask here on purpose because of the thinking here by some members.I also don't offer it to members first because of this thinking. In some members eyes here offering parts for sale here first is just another attempt to maxime profits so I don't bother.I have said before if any member is interested in any of my stuff I will give that member a better price provided there are no bids on my items but then you must research this by checking my items daily as I will not provide that info here less I be accused of maximizing my profits.

In the end just think if there were no sellers,where would you get you're parts?Wouldn't you rather see the item here first and if you never need parts then you wouldn't understand anyway.

moldyoldy
06-07-2007, 07:37 AM
Kingjames, I have absolutely no problem with people selling or even reselling anything. I'm also well aware that regular selling without regular profit is foolish. I do, however, feel that if a seller is one by profession, be it part-time or full, that it would be in his best interest (as well as everyone else's) to be competent and knowledgeable enough to run his business without having to waste the time and resources of others, particularly when the info sought is readily available for anyone who cares to look for it. While it seems the forum accepts such activity, I certainly don't feel that's why it exists and continues to florish with regular active input. For anyone even slightly familiar with this site's (and others) vast technical library, to ask such questions instead of finding the info themselves tells me they consider their time more valuable than anyone else's, which, even by conservative standards is selfish and inconsiderate, to say the least. To me, it's an insult to those who went to a lot of personal effort to make this info available.

Forum directives have previously been quoted to support selling activities. I shouldn't have to point out that forum directives also tell members to search diligently before asking.

I'm well aware there are many other sellers that use this forum. They don't bother me at all, because they don't ask questions that could be easily answered by a little effort of their own. Many of them also actively contribute in content, whether it be pictures of seldom-seem items, or otherwise.

oldsoundz
06-07-2007, 07:53 AM
That may be the funniest part of this whole thing. Nobody asked YOU specifically to ID the speaker. Why are YOU so bothered by it?

I thought I knew which one it was already but. It seems that if a seller posts something on ebay, and is incorrect about a model #, or if they represent it in an inaccurate way, the people of this forum love to SHRED the seller. So in an effort to be CERTAIN, that I was right on the part/model #, I asked a question.

But some people think that all of my postings have nefarious intent. Like I am going to somehow be taking something directly from you. I dont even know these people. But for some reason, they feel it's cool to slam me openly on the forum and then not accept private messages. Maybe they just blocked me.

But thats okay, and I expect that any of my future posts may have similar results, because some people cant just live and let live.

4313B
06-07-2007, 08:08 AM
some people cant just live and let live.Some? From my experience pretty much everyone tries to control everyone else in some way, shape, or form. It is extremely irritating to some. Others thrive on being controlled. I can absolutely see the attraction of small, self-sustaining islands. But then they degenerate into a mess too once more than one person gets involved. People get bored and start doing stupid stuff. Here's an example of what people do when they have any kind of free time on their hands.

http://library.thinkquest.org/J0111742/footbinding.htm

kingjames
06-07-2007, 09:16 AM
:rotfl:

Storm
06-07-2007, 09:18 AM
some people cant just live and let live.

I call it Jealousy...

;)

-Storm.

Robh3606
06-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Well I have a couple of thoughts on this. The purpose of the Marketplace Forum was to have a little "flea market" and to alert others of auctions out and about on the web. The feeling was we could trade, purchase and just help each other out. The intent was not to attract profesional sellers although that has happened and in many times it has helped people doing projects. It has also caused some real ugly issues when things went wrong but for the most part it's been positive.

I know it has helped me get my hands on some hard to find items. I am very thankful to the sellers for oppurtunity I was given by offering these items in Market Place when they could have made more money on the sale on Ebay than offereing them here at a fair fixed price. I have also sold items into the group for less to "pay back" to the group as a whole and to keep the spirit alive and well.

The guys who are active members here and also sell I don't see as an issue as long as they don't stick it to any buyers both on and off the site. It certainly helps if they are up front and honest about it and I think most are. It's the transients more than anyone else that start up as a new member post with hey look at these, pump everyone for as much info as possible and then plagerize the site in their auctions. I find tbat really irritating.

To keep the peace if you plan on selling and have a question why not just drop the question into Market Place?? Try to use the Search feature first but if that doesn't work ask away. That way we all know what your intent is. Then any member can then decide if they want to respond to your post. When you finally decide what to do you can either post if for sale here or link to the auction.

Rob:)

oldsoundz
06-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Some time back when I did just that I was told that I posed the question in the wrong area. Also, recently when I posted a link to one of my Lansing related eBay auctions, I was called LOW, by another senior member. It seems that no matter which way I turn someone is gonna get ticked off at me for something.

I planned to research the item before offering it for sale, that way I know what is a fair price. I would have probably mentioned it in the marketplace after. But I hesitate to do that anymore either.:blink:

Robh3606
06-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Some time back when I did just that I was told that I posed the question in the wrong area.

OK I can understand that. If you start off with "I am trying to determine a fair price" and then pop the question you sure as hell would be in the "right" forum and I can't see anyone giving you grief for it.

It seems that no matter which way I turn someone is gonna get ticked off at me for something.

Lifes too short to worry about it unless of course it's a dear friend or a close familly member.

oldsoundz
06-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Perhaps the easiest way to accomplish this would be putting "ebay seller, beware" as my signature? I don't get it.

I have the utmost respect for the vast majority of the members here, and for JBL in general. Do you think someone would decide to deal with audio on ebay if they didn't have a true passion for it? I enjoy my JBL on a regular basis, and try to give back when I can.

All I ask is for a little less heat.

BTW, I have sold a bunch of Klipsch speakers too, and I dont hang out on the Klipsch forum.

kingjames
06-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Well I have a couple of thoughts on this. The purpose of the Marketplace Forum was to have a little "flea market" and to alert others of auctions out and about on the web. The feeling was we could trade, purchase and just help each other out. The intent was not to attract profesional sellers although that has happened and in many times it has helped people doing projects. It has also caused some real ugly issues when things went wrong but for the most part it's been positive.

I know it has helped me get my hands on some hard to find items. I am very thankful to the sellers for oppurtunity I was given by offering these items in Market Place when they could have made more money on the sale on Ebay than offereing them here at a fair fixed price. I have also sold items into the group for less to "pay back" to the group as a whole and to keep the spirit alive and well.

The guys who are active members here and also sell I don't see as an issue as long as they don't stick it to any buyers both on and off the site. It certainly helps if they are up front and honest about it and I think most are. It's the transients more than anyone else that start up as a new member post with hey look at these, pump everyone for as much info as possible and then plagerize the site in their auctions. I find tbat really irritating.

To keep the peace if you plan on selling and have a question why not just drop the question into Market Place?? Try to use the Search feature first but if that doesn't work ask away. That way we all know what your intent is. Then any member can then decide if they want to respond to your post. When you finally decide what to do you can either post if for sale here or link to the auction.

Well said Rob and I agree totally, I think the good things that have come from this outweigh's the bad by a large margin.

Zilch
06-07-2007, 01:08 PM
We all kinda know what Kingjames is about. And he posts his inquiries outside of "Marketplace."

His most recent one, turns out all he had to do was turn them over to know what they were. Silly, but that's Jim, is what.

Does it piss me off, no, not anymore; I know if he finds something I want or need, he'll give me a fair price and let me have first shot, 'cause he "knows" me from the forum.

Same with Oldsoundz, who has done the same.

Also, Superbee, others.

They're friends of the forum, in my view.

So, I help out, to the limited extent I can. It doesn't cost much time or effort to save them some of the same. :thmbsup:

moldyoldy
06-07-2007, 01:55 PM
OK, I can tell when I'm licked (the tickling sensation on my sitting area is a dead giveaway :p). I appreciate all the input and will never comment on the topic again. I bear no ill will (never did) towards anyone here, and wish nothing but success and happy days for all, no matter their agenda. :)

kingjames
06-07-2007, 04:21 PM
We all kinda know what Kingjames is about. And he posts is inquiries outside of "Marketplace."

His most recent one, turns out all he had to do was turn them over to know what they were. Silly, but that's Jim, is what.

At the time I posted that picture they were not in my possession and it was hard to get an idea of the model number not being in my hands. Did you bother to finish the thread to see what I posted after they were in my hands?

I'm not sure how to take your whole response so I will leave it alone. I don't offer cheaper goods to forum members because they are friends of mine but there is quite a few deals you know nothing about Zilch and you don't need to know.I have always stated up front what my intentions are and have no reason to lie about anything.It should also be pointed out that I owe no one a deal on anything but do so because I think it is the proper thing to do here on this forum.

Out of my last haul I made deals with 6 members on items that I sold them quite cheap,these are things you don't know about.I made a little money but could have made a lot.I think this is the way it should be if I am to use the forum for it's resoures. I contribute in other ways to the forum like my contributions. In my ebay listing's I always give credit to LHF if I reference one of their catalogs.

Like I said Zilch I'm not sure if you're reply is sarcastic or not as I can read it 3 different ways, so I will read it in the sense that you are not being sarcastic after all we know how important you are here.