PDA

View Full Version : Perreaux 6000B

opimax
05-20-2007, 07:01 AM
As usual i decide I want something before researching sufficiently enough and purchase the perfect XXXX. In this case it is the the Perreaux 6000b amp.

1st didn't know it was fan cooled, not a deal breaker but changes the home design some, ok a lot (moving equipment to the basement, drilling holes in floor, but hiding much equipment is good)

2nd all connectors are XLR. the inputs are 1 male and 1 female per channel. No problem, purchased standard adapters for each , now have 4 input connections. They are labeled on the unit pin 1 "earth", 2 "-VE", 3 "+VE"

Outputs are 4 male XLR, nobody has heard of that and says they are proprietary. they are labeled pin 1 "-VE", 2 "0", 3 "+VE".

I would like to get all 4 outputs to 2 wires or 1 piece 2 connector banana plug to bi-wire the 250's

Something about shielding to ground doesn't match the XLR connectors in stock. They recommend buying buying plain connectors and making my own ends. they were out of stock. My question is can't I just solder wires to + - pins on the connectors to make 2 wire outputs on the plain connectors? I got confused at them talking about grounded shielding...even on the ones I make...:blink:

Thanks

Mark

Please move to appropriate location , i was paying more attention to what i wrote then where , sorry !!!

sourceoneaudio
05-20-2007, 08:18 AM
Mark,
The male XLR output connectors is very odd. Looks like they call them Cannon Connectors. :screwy:

http://www.perreaux.com/files/051-6200B.pdf

Jeff
J/S-S1A :D

opimax
05-20-2007, 08:31 AM
thanks Jeff, i have that pdf, wished they had showed the rear connectors...Maybe someone from that side of the world...Ian or the ones who recommended this brand, no problem just looking for help...

Mark

Fred Sanford
05-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Yep, my ex-boss had a pair of them, one with a fan that went bad (extra noisy). He's powering some Tannoys with them now, loves it. Amps are in a central house audio rack, below his listening room. We made the cables ourselves, not sure who did the soldering or if there were any issues with wire gauges, etc.

I've got Switchcrafts here for sure, might have a pair of another brand lying around (Neutrik?)...hit me with a phone # via PM if you want to talk off-forum.

je

scott fitlin
05-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Those are amazing sounding amplifiers. The 8000B was notoriously good for sub bass.

Perraux!

Allanvh5150
05-20-2007, 11:29 PM
You cant go wrong with these. I have a bunch of them. The XLR connectors on the inputs were used as female in and the male was to link to another input, usually on the same amp but often to another seperate amp. The female outs were stock standard. The were normal equipment in the 1980's. The plugs have been made by many companies, cannon, neutrik, any reputable electronics store will have them. These amps were originally made for proffesional sound reinforcement and in this guise, I have used all of them. The "PMF" series were aimed at the high end audio market. Generally they were not dissimilar to the "B" series. Different case with no fan, usually and a bigger power supply. But they are all good in my opinion. If you dont use them at over half their rated power you can even disconnect the fan, but remember to keep a check on the temperature. Not bad for an Amp made in good old NZ!

Nice, Allan.

Fred Sanford
05-21-2007, 03:25 AM
2nd all connectors are XLR. the inputs are 1 male and 1 female per channel. No problem, purchased standard adapters for each , now have 4 input connections. They are labeled on the unit pin 1 "earth", 2 "-VE", 3 "+VE"

Outputs are 4 male XLR, nobody has heard of that and says they are proprietary. they are labeled pin 1 "-VE", 2 "0", 3 "+VE".

I would like to get all 4 outputs to 2 wires or 1 piece 2 connector banana plug to bi-wire the 250's

Something about shielding to ground doesn't match the XLR connectors in stock. They recommend buying buying plain connectors and making my own ends. they were out of stock. My question is can't I just solder wires to + - pins on the connectors to make 2 wire outputs on the plain connectors? I got confused at them talking about grounded shielding...even on the ones I make...:blink:

Thanks

Mark

Regarding the wiring connnection, do you mean that your inputs are unbalanced 2-wire, and you're not sure how to hook them up to balanced XLR connectors? Also, on the output side, are you saying that all pre-wired XLR speaker connectors you've found bridge a pin to chassis ground? Try to clarify a little, I don't think we're addressing your actual questions...

je

opimax
05-21-2007, 05:12 AM
I was able to buy adapters for the 4 inputs, the outputs are the issue. I have a set of 250tis I wish to bi-wire. the pictures of the amp are correct. When shopping for adapters no one had a connector which went from the XLR to 2 wires.

and that ground/shielding is what caused the guitar shop and another pro shop to freak at the connections...never work, let me check w/Joe...I can get a plug for you but if it blows up your amp don't come back here upset...do you think they do that in all amps in New Zeland?...etc

The fan is starting to make a little bearing noise, hoping to find a drop in replacement and blow out the unit...

Thanks

Mark

Allanvh5150
05-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Hi,
I dont know why everyone is confused about the in/out wiring. From memory, the inputs are electronicaly balanced, pin 1 ground/sheild, pin 2 -, pin 3 +. The outputs are pin 1 -, pin 2 or 3 hot. Just take your negative wire from pin 1 and your positive from pin 3 and you will be ok. I have the perreaux circuit diagrams here that I could dig out and post if you like.
Cheers,
Allan.

opimax
05-24-2007, 11:54 AM
Thanks Allan. I received an email from Perreaux tech stating the same thing and also recommends disconnecting the fan for home use. I have not yet purchased blank XLR connections to solder the wire to, in process :)

It is surprising the reaction I received to this connection , especially by "professionals" who know what they are doing :banghead:

I would expect by the end of this long weekend it will be in use

Mark

Sevansounds
06-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Anyone know of anybody or business that is selling or willing to sell one of these amps? I've been looking all over google and ebay for sometime now and haven't had any luck. I'm specifically looking for a 6000B. Google searches show potential retailers but their product lists are outdated. Any help in acquiring one of these would be amazingly perfect. Thank you in advance for your time....

Allanvh5150
06-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Anyone know of anybody or business that is selling or willing to sell one of these amps? I've been looking all over google and ebay for sometime now and haven't had any luck. I'm specifically looking for a 6000B. Google searches show potential retailers but their product lists are outdated. Any help in acquiring one of these would be amazingly perfect. Thank you in advance for your time....

Just keep an eye on Ebay. They come up all the time. 3000b, 6000B, 8000B, PMF1150, PMF2150, PMF3150, PMF 5150. There are others from the eighties but they are all good.

Allan.

Ken Pachkowsky
07-08-2009, 06:37 AM

Cherokee Studios had 14 Perreaux amps when they closed a couple of years back. I tried to pre sell a bunch of them for very reasonable prices with no luck at all. I was selling the 6000B's for 1100.00 and was paying 900 for them. I had to buy all 14 for that price. There was 4x 6000B's and 4x 9000's. Anyway, was a hell of a deal. I was shocked no-one on this forum was even remotely interested.

Ken

Sevansounds
07-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Damn Ken, What an awesome deal. Yea, I remember coming across a 6000b on ebay about a year ago for $1,000 and it was in excellent condition, unfortunately I wasn't exactly shopping for one at that time and of course now that I am...I'm having the greatest of difficulty finding one for sale. Oh well...I guess its all timing and I will definitely continue the search so any help would be greatly appreciated!

advantagedj
03-02-2011, 09:28 PM
I have the 14 perreaux amps from Cherokee Studios ... (5) 8000C, (2) 6000B, (2) 6000C, (4) 3000B (1) 2150B. I also have H&H 800V and 500V.amps

looking for serious buyers. March 2011

Mark Vincent (661) 674-7151 Los Angeles ares

opimax
03-03-2011, 08:06 AM
I have some interst in 1 of the big ones, shipping would be a killer from the west coast...

opimax
03-18-2011, 08:18 AM
I was able to purchase this today , pick up tomorrow, ROADTRIP! Makes me happy, I paid the same for the 6000b! BTW, he has a 6000b (300wpc) for $300 in Richmond, Va.

Local pick up, hooked up ready to test with the same speakes Steve V has, the Legends W/3 12" woofers

:D:applaud:

Mark

svollmer
03-25-2011, 07:37 AM
Local pick up, hooked up ready to test with the same speakes Steve V has, the Legends W/3 12" woofers

:D:applaud:

Mark

Just for accuracy, my speakers are Legacy Focus (ca. 1999). www.legacy-audio.com (http://www.legacy-audio.com) :)