PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Strasbourg

enjoy_the_music
05-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Hello Lansing-peeps

Couldnt find a 'newbie post here first' thread...so posting here.

Already a member of numerous forums and found Lansing forums after venturing towards JBL, Exclusive and Rey Audio speakers....among other nice designs!

Hope to learn and meet people who have experience of these speakers and the most appropriate supporting equipment.

Regards

Richard

Robh3606
05-10-2007, 10:23 AM
Hello Richard

Welcome aboard, like your avatar.

Rob:)

enjoy_the_music
05-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Hi

Thanks. Yes i have a pair in transit at the moment...looking forward to listening!

R

boputnam
05-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Couldnt find a 'newbie post here first' thread...Now there is an interesting thought. "ifh" here on the forum did suggest the idea some time back... ;)

btw, where you, by any chance, at CES this year?

enjoy_the_music
05-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Hi,

No wasnt at CES unfortunately :)

Maybe Munich this year though ;)

R

caladois
05-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Hello Richard,

Your avatar is impressive.
Welcome on THE JBL Forum !!!

lfh
05-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Yes i have a pair in transit at the moment...looking forward to listening!

Hello and welcome!

What monitors are these? (They look similar to Kinoshita/Rey Audio RM-4BC -- but they're not identical to the ones listed in the current catalog.)

Fredrik

enjoy_the_music
05-10-2007, 01:12 PM
They are the Exclusive TAD 2401 Twin speakers.

''''MODEL 2401 is a scientifically-designed monitor speaker system combining five TAD speaker components-two TL-1601a low frequency loudspeakers, one TD-4001 high frequency driver, one TH-4001 stabilized dispersion horn, and our TN-1 dividing network. It is designed for use in large studio control rooms. It provides both high power at all frequencies and superior transient response-a rare combination. Thanks to the use of two parallel-driven low frequency loudspeakers, the maximum sound pressure level is a particularly high 126db/W at 1m. Its dispersion pattern is critically controlled, based on our tests of actual studio acoustics: response is smooth over a wide listening area, and consistently clear directivity can be enjoyed.''''

Hello and welcome!

What monitors are these? (They look similar to Kinoshita/Rey Audio RM-4BC -- but they're not identical to the ones listed in the current catalog.)

Fredrik

lfh
05-10-2007, 01:17 PM
They are the Exclusive TAD 2401 Twin speakers.

Very cool! Are they out of a studio in Japan (if you don't mind telling)?

enjoy_the_music
05-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Hi,

In fact no I know a few people out there...these are from a collector although it is possible they were once used in a studio.

I have two pairs and am looking for more. I intend to try the different models and see what fits best.

Its all new to me you see. I had the Yamaha NSX-10000 speakers before which were the largest i've had. The TAD's are the biggest and most efficient speaker i've ever had...

The size will take some getting used to...i currently have some very WAF Merlin VSM-MXE speakers!

Full horn systems arent really for me but the dynamic/horn combo in the TAD's seems really nice.

You reckon a Crown amp on the bass is sufficient? What kind of amp to drive these speakers (98db sensitivity)?

R

Very cool! Are they out of a studio in Japan (if you don't mind telling)?

lfh
05-10-2007, 02:04 PM
You reckon a Crown amp on the bass is sufficient? What kind of amp to drive these speakers (98db sensitivity)?

I'm a "DIY:er / eBay bottom feeder" ;) and I'm sure more experienced (high-end) forumites will chime in. Anyway, my take on this is:

For the LF any well renowned SS amp with a low output impedance should do the trick. For the compression driver a (smallish) amp that works well also at very low power levels is needed. I figure an old Aleph would be nice to try or perhaps something based on 845 triodes.

briang
05-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Welcome Richard.

I drove through Strasbourg one Saturday back in August of 2001. Lovely place.:)

Guido
05-10-2007, 04:10 PM
What kind of amp to drive these speakers (98db sensitivity)? R

Pass, Pass or maybe Pass ;)

enjoy_the_music
05-13-2007, 02:00 AM
Hi

Yes i am thinking of a yamamoto 845 amp and a crown k2.

Otherwise i have some Shindo and Leben.

Hopefully not too long now!!!

Richard

merlin
05-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Good grief Richard - you get everywhere these days:) Welcome. Haven't you sold those yet then?

enjoy_the_music
05-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Hi M

Getting around? ditto to yourself :p

Yes i have had some pretty good offers here.

I also managed to find some 2402's which may be a bit more apt for my room.

:spin:

Thought i should join here if i am going to be owning similar speakers, excellent forum and resources!

R

Good grief Richard - you get everywhere these days:) Welcome. Haven't you sold those yet then?

jim campbell
05-14-2007, 06:26 AM
Pass, Pass or maybe Pass ;)you didnt post a budget for amps but if you have the cash a pair of mac 501's would do the trick.im also hearing a lot of good things about perreaux,and if thats a tad pricey check out the bryston 4b sst.if you are able the pass xa 600 or maybe a krell cx series monobloc pair............damn i gotta go take a cold shower