PDA

View Full Version : John Eargle Passing

Don McRitchie
05-09-2007, 08:52 PM
I am very sad to have to relay the news that John Eargle passed away suddenly yesterday. I was just informed of this fact and have no further details.

Quite frankly, I find myself at a loss for words on this development. It will take time for me to come to terms with his passing. I cannot stress enough just how instrumental John was to the establishment and ultimate success of this website. Anyone that has ever met John can attest to the fact that he was a true professional and a true gentleman. Ultimately, I intend put up a permanent tribute on this site to an absolutely exemplary person. However, for those who are not familiar with John, a basic profile can be found here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/our-thanks/contacts.htm

Titanium Dome
05-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Wow, Don, I'm sure he was very special to you. Please accept my condolences and extend them to any friends and family you may know.

scott fitlin
05-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Sad news indeed. I'm very sorry to hear this, my heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

God Bless John Eargle, and his family.

Robh3606
05-09-2007, 09:20 PM
My condolences to his family. I was going through the 60th Anniversary book just a couple of hours ago and listening to some tracks on a Delos Sampler some of which was music he recorded. He will be missed that's for sure. Some legacy he has left behind.

Rob:(

sourceoneaudio
05-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Sorry to hear of this sad news. My best to his family and friends.

J/S-S1A :(

lfh
05-09-2007, 11:40 PM
He will be missed also by us who only knew him through his books and papers.

The audio-world has lost a fantastic teacher.

Storm
05-10-2007, 12:16 AM
Rest in peace, John.

:p

-Storm

Hoerninger
05-10-2007, 05:58 AM
I have received "Eargle On Everest" some hours ago and now I read the news.
It is a strange feeling to listen to these fine accomplished pieces of music knowing that the one, John Eargle who has compiled these with knowledge and dediction, just has passed.

kingjames
05-10-2007, 06:43 AM
Sad day indeed!:(

How ironic that we have this fundraiser with the John Eargle On Everest cd and then I received my JBL Story book today and he passes away. It makes these two items all that more special.

Don, please pass on our heart felt condolences to his family and I am sorry for your personal loss.

Don if there is anything that we can do to help please let us know.

4313B
05-10-2007, 06:48 AM
Quite frankly, I find myself at a loss for words on this development.Yes. Thanks for the post Don. John is one of those guys we will always look up to.

Harvey Gerst
05-10-2007, 06:54 AM
This is sad news, indeed.

boputnam
05-10-2007, 07:37 AM
Hi, Don...

This is truly sad news. Tough for his family, certainly, and also adds to a time of losses for you, personally. By your post, we can only begin to feel the magnitude of this loss. Terribly sorry... :(

Ironically, I was just last night enjoying my first listen to his "Eargle on Everest" CD on the 4345's, reflecting on the incredible heritage of it all, and how fortunate we are that you, he, and a few others, had the vision and tenacity to construct this site. How many it has brought together is a staggering achievement - one that is measured by the fact that JBL themselves, come here from time to time.

I often refer to Eargle's "Handbook of Recording Engineering" and "Handbook of Sound System Design" - much in these translate immediately into today's SR applications. Groundbreaking and irreplaceable stuff...

Thanks, Don.

Don McRitchie
05-10-2007, 07:58 AM
Garry Margolis just sent the following that provides some additional detail on John and the events of his passing.

It is with great sadness that I inform you that John Eargle, one of the finest audio engineers and teachers it's been my privilege to know, has passed away.

He was scheduled to speak to an Audio Engineering Society chapter in Minnesota on Tuesday evening, and when he failed to communicate with them, his JBL colleagues went to his home and found his body.

John had a Masters in Music from Eastman and a Masters in Electrical Engineering from the University of Oklahoma. He was a fine pianist -- he had a Boesendorfer Concert Grand with extended bass in his living room, and it shared the room with his Steinway D until the latter was sold. His superb musicianship was evident in the many recordings he engineered for Delos.

I met him when we worked together at JBL, and we quickly became friends as well as colleagues. Although he retired from recording a few years ago, he continued to consult for Harman International as well as write and revise his superb textbooks on audio. He was a regular lecturer at the Aspen Recording Institute every summer, and he was a frequent speaker at both Acoustical Society of America and Audio Engineering Society meetings.

For the past two decades, I had the privilege of assisting him with his computing needs. He was expert in computer technical drawing -- he did all of his own book illustrations -- and, with the changes in technical publishing, he became fluent in page layout as well. In recent years, he took up photography with typically excellent results.

Because he lived alone and was concerned about what could happen if he had a medical emergency, he recently decided to sell his home in the hills above the Hollywood Bowl and move into a retirement community. Ironically, his concern was justified.

Requiescat in pacem, my friend...

Garry

Steve Schell
05-10-2007, 11:03 AM
This is really shocking and sad news. John Eargle was a tremendous friend to the Lansing Heritage web site and its founders, at all times being extremely generous with his time and extensive knowledge. Rest in peace, John.

edgewound
05-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Sad news indeed. My condolences to you, Don, and all his family and friends

Another one of the Masters is now gone. Men like him are indelible and irreplaceable.

spkrman57
05-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Another great one from the JBL legacy is gone from our midst.

He will be missed by many!

Ron

mech986
05-10-2007, 02:14 PM
I first knew of John Eargle when I read his biographical information on James Lansing in a mid 70's JBL brochure and its later more complete version here at LH. It was plainly evident how John embraced ever changing technology yet held the past and its history with great respect. He was a man with perspective and, from his body of work, a professional with passion in every sense of the word.

I had hoped to meet him personally some day in the near future as I have been trying to arrange a visit to the old JBL plant before Northridge. Sadly, that personal meeting will have to be set aside.

Perhaps we can find solace in the thought of John playing piano in front of Jim Lansing, William Thomas, and Bart Locanthi, then all of them getting together to figure out how to build a better driver/speaker to reproduce it for the angels to hear.

Rest in Peace, our JBL's will play on.

Regards,

Bart

glen
05-10-2007, 11:21 PM
I was being taken on a tour of the JBL factory when John Eargle passed by us and greeted the JBL folks I was with. Can't really say that I "met" him on that noisy factory floor, but I did see him in the flesh.

I was struck by the high regard, and great affection that my guides showed for him as they excitedly exchanged John Eargle anecdotes:

How they could depend on his sure and knowledgable help when they were overwhelmed by complex and competing speaker design/production priorities.

And how when one of them was upstaged while giving a presentation in Japan when impatient fans rushed "Eargle-San" asking for his autograph on their treasured copies of his audio books.

They were clearly delighted to see him and recount the good times they had with him, calling him "OUR John Eargle".

His loss will be acutely felt across the factory, and across continents.

Steve K
05-11-2007, 03:31 AM
I'm very sorry to hear of this sad news. Mr. Eargle will be missed dearly by the members of this website, as well as his fans in Japan, as his books, translated into Japanese, have just been introduced in the bookstores here.

Steve K

JBLnsince1959
05-11-2007, 09:46 AM
My condolences to his family. . Some legacy he has left behind.

Rob:(

ditto, a real loss ....

jbl
05-11-2007, 11:19 AM
I first read a John Eargle White Paper some 30 years ago. Very detailed and informative.
One of the greats in audio history.
Very sad news.

Earl K
05-11-2007, 11:24 AM
John Eargles' passing is that one of the giants in our industry has begun his final chapter . Earl K

fotodan
05-13-2007, 08:28 AM
He will truely be missed by all.:(

louped garouv
05-14-2007, 10:24 AM
sad for us down here, but i hope he is enjoying some tunes with some old friends....

johnaec
05-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Mentioned at the JBL site: http://jbl.com/d_john_eargle.aspx

John

Robh3606
05-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks John for posting the link

Rob:)

JBLRaiser
05-14-2007, 08:49 PM
I say thank you John Eargle. You have brought much happiness to this Earth. I know you have earned your eternal rest. God bless you dear sir.

DavidF
05-14-2007, 09:38 PM
I did not know John. I can sense from his continued involvement in his work so late in life that he enjoyed it, was very well respected in the profession, and contributed richly. What a fine way to invest your precious time on earth, John!

Here he is in 1979 High Fidelity with an apt caption, indeed...

Harvey Gerst
05-15-2007, 07:36 AM
The horn lens is tilted; it woulda never passed QC in my day.

4313B
05-15-2007, 08:55 AM
The horn lens is tilted; it woulda never passed QC in my day.I heard that he wasn't much of a horn guy anyway.

I really like the photo though. Thanks for posting it.
What a cool guy... that loudspeaker wasn't too bad back then either. :)
I had to have a pair.

Mentioned at the JBL site: http://jbl.com/d_john_eargle.aspx

Thanks!

glen
05-15-2007, 03:20 PM
http://www.prosoundnews.com/publish/news/John_M_Eargle_Audio_Engineering_Pioneer_Passes_at_ 76.shtml

At the bottom of their article is a link to the John M Eargle Rememberence Blog
www.johnmeargle.com (http://www.johnmeargle.com/)

Don McRitchie
05-15-2007, 03:32 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

& Marketing
(212) 481-3456 Ext. 16
[email protected]

JBL REGRETS THE PASSING OF JOHN EARGLE

Company marks the passing of an industry and corporate legend with plans to memorialize his legacy.

NORTHRIDGE, CALIFORNIA, May 15, 2007 — JBL Professional today announced the passing of John Morgan Eargle at the age of 76. Dr. Sidney Harman, founder and executive chairman of Harman International Industries, the parent company of JBL, made the announcement.

In announcing the passing, Dr. Harman called Eargle an industry legend and commended his 31 years of contributions to the JBL and Harman family of companies. “The industry lost a giant with the passing of John Eargle,” Dr. Harman said today, “but we at JBL and Harman International lost a beloved and revered member of our family. John Eargle cannot be replaced, but his life, his vision, and his many contributions to our industry can and will be memorialized in concrete ways by our company.”

John Eargle joined JBL as a consultant in 1976, and shortly thereafter moved to a full-time position as Vice President of Product Development for a six-year period. In the early 1980's he returned to a consulting role with the title Senior Director, Product Development and Application, the position he held for the rest of his life.

John participated in product development activities for both the Professional and Consumer divisions of JBL, for Harman Becker on branded car sound systems, and for other Harman divisions such as AKG microphones. He wrote extensively for the companies, creating articles, applications and technical notes, owner's manuals and others materials in support of products and their use in recording and sound reinforcement. He championed the concept of flat power response in sound reinforcement applications, and conceived of the application of the Bi-Radial® constant-coverage horns to both studio monitors and cinema systems. In 2002 John received a Scientific and Engineering Award from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences along with other JBL engineers for the concept, design and engineering of the modern constant-directivity, direct radiator style motion picture loudspeaker systems.

He had just completed the book "The JBL Story: 60 Years of Audio Innovation" and had previously co-authored "JBL Audio Engineering for Sound Reinforcement" which are among ten books on audio, loudspeakers, microphones and recording which he had authored. Many of his books have long been used as texts at the university level.

In recording, he was a member of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (NARAS), and had engineered and/or produced over 275 Compact Discs. He was at the forefront of the development of multi-channel surround sound. Jazz recordings which he engineered for Joe Williams and Ruth Brown were awarded Grammys, and in 2001 he was awarded the Grammy for Best-Engineered Album, Classical for Dvorák: Requiem, Op. 89; Sym. No. 9, Op. 95 "From the New World."

He had a deep commitment to education, presenting at many forums as a guest lecturer and serving on numerous panels and committees. He taught at the Aspen Audio Recording Institute for more than 20 years, in concert with JBL and Harman support of the Aspen Music Festival and School, and was a member of their corporate board.

John Morgan Eargle was born on January 6, 1931 in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He received degrees in music and electrical engineering from the Eastman School of Music (B.M.), University of Michigan (M.M.), University of Texas (B.S.E.E.), and Cooper Union (M.E.). He was a member of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences; a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences; a member of the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers; a Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers; a Fellow of the Acoustical Society of America and reviewer of electro-acoustical patents for the ASA Journal; and a Fellow, Honorary Member, and past-president of the Audio Engineering Society, a member of the AES Journal Review Board and was awarded the AES Bronze Medal.

John Eargle is survived by brother Robert Gray Eargle, sister Pauline Tennison Eargle Dahlgren, nephew John Paul Eargle and five additional nieces and nephews, all of Texas. Funeral arrangements will be private. Industry colleagues have established a remembrance Website at www.johnmeargle.com Plans are underway for a memorial convocation for friends and associates to be held in the near future.

About JBL Professional:
Headquartered in Northridge, California, JBL Professional is the world’s leading designer, manufacturer, and marketer of professional loudspeakers for recording and broadcast, musician, cinema, touring sound, commercial sound and contracting applications. JBL Professional is the proud recipient of the 2005 Technical GRAMMY® award. JBL Professional is part of the Harman International network of professional and consumer audio companies. For complete product and company information, go to the JBL Professional website at www.jblpro.com.

About the Harman Pro Group:
The Harman Pro Group (www.harmanpro.com) is the world’s largest provider of professional audio products and system solutions for commercial sound, contracting, tour sound, recording and broadcast, musician, portable PA and cinema applications. The Group is headquartered in Northridge, California and includes industry leaders AKG Acoustics, BSS Audio, Crown International, dbx, DigiTech, JBL Professional, Lexicon, Soundcraft, and Studer. The Group is part of Harman International Industries, Incorporated (NYSE: HAR. Harman International designs, manufactures, and markets a wide range of products for the automotive, consumer and professional markets. Its brands include Harman Kardon®, JBL®, Mark Levinson® and Infinity®. The company maintains a strong presence in the Americas, Europe, and Asia and employs more than 10,500 people.

###

boputnam
05-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Don...

I would like to send you my pristine copy of Handbook of Sound System Design. It is in new condition. Is the 416-167 address still good...?

Now, do let us know what the forum can do for Eargle's family, and legacy. We have ample funds in treasury, as you know.

Don McRitchie
05-16-2007, 04:37 PM
Thank you very much Bo. That address is still good.

On a related note, I received a parcel from JBL on Saturday. Inside was John's "The JBL Story" autographed with a personal note of thanks. He dated it May 3, just four days before he passed away.

I have been in correspondence with Tom Holman who is coordinating the tribute site to John Eargle referenced above. He believes that John's family is looking at a private funeral ceremony, though this has not been confirmed. Tom is looking towards a public tribute to be held some months from now as they want to give enough advance notice to allow as many people as possible to make plans to attend. No venue has been established yet.

Tom indicated that he was interested in photos of John, so I put up a temporary web page that has all of the photos of him that we have taken. If you are interested, they can be seen here:

http://test.audioheritage.org/eargle.htm

One of the people leaving comments on the tribute website suggested setting up a scholarship in John's name. I think that this is an excellent idea, and if it comes to pass, could be an opportunity for us to make a financial contribution.

Don

4313B
05-16-2007, 05:38 PM
One of the people leaving comments on the tribute website suggested setting up a scholarship in John's name. I think that this is an excellent idea, and if it comes to pass, could be an opportunity for us to make a financial contribution.:yes:

Thanks for those photos too Don.

scott fitlin
05-17-2007, 10:23 AM
One of the people leaving comments on the tribute website suggested setting up a scholarship in John's name. I think that this is an excellent idea, and if it comes to pass, could be an opportunity for us to make a financial contribution.

DonThat is an excellent idea.

:)

Ken Pachkowsky
05-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Don
I am sorry for the loss of your friend. I know you and John communicated on a fairly regular basis. The industry has lost an important contributor. Condolences to his family.

Ken

Rolf
05-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Sorry for your loss, but I did not knew him, and therefore I can't say anything.

mgander
06-02-2007, 10:57 AM
DETAILS CONFIRMED FOR JOHN M. EARGLE
MEMORIAL TRIBUTE AND AES EDUCATIONAL
FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP

Memorial Event to be Held in Hollywood, Educational
Fund Announced for Donations.

NORTHRIDGE, CALIFORNIA, May 25, 2007 — Following up on the passing earlier this month of audio industry pioneer John M. Eargle, details were today confirmed for a memorial tribute to the life and work of John Eargle to take place in Los Angeles on June 14th.
The event will be held at the Linwood Dunn Theater of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences at the Pickford Center for Motion Picture Study, 1313 North Vine Street (at Fountain) in Hollywood, California. The event will begin at 8:00PM, with a pre-reception starting at 6:30PM. A number of friends and colleagues from the many areas of the audio industry who John touched have been asked to speak on the personal and professional impact that John had on them and the many areas of his endeavors. All friends and colleagues of John are welcome to attend.

In addition, a scholarship fund has been established in John’s name under the auspices of the Audio Engineering Society’s Educational Foundation. The John M. Eargle Memorial Scholarship will be given to a deserving student who combines the attributes of engineering capability and musical interests in the tradition of John Eargle. The Scholarship is being established with an initial donation from JBL/Harman International Industries, Incorporated. Contributions should be made by check to the AES Educational Foundation with instructions to credit the Eargle Fund. They should be mailed to: AES Educational Foundation, Robert Sherwood, Treasurer, One Wolf’s Lane, Pelham, NY, 10803. All contributions will be acknowledged.

Robh3606
06-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Thank You

4313B
06-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Thank You Mark.

My condolences to you.

Ken Pachkowsky
06-02-2007, 01:31 PM
FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP

Nice to see he wll have a lasting legacy with the scholarship. We should all be so fortunate as to have gained that kind of respect.

Ken

porschedpm
06-02-2007, 02:10 PM
....One of the people leaving comments on the tribute website suggested setting up a scholarship in John's name. I think that this is an excellent idea, and if it comes to pass, could be an opportunity for us to make a financial contribution.

Don

After reading through all of the posts in the tribute website (http://www.johnmeargle.com/wordpress/), I realize how much influence and how many lives John Eargle touched and what a truly great man our community, the industry, and the world has lost.

I intend to make a small donation to the AES Educational Foundation Eargle Fund. I was thinking though. If others on this Forum who didn't personally know him are also going to donate to the Fund, I think our contributions might carry more significance if we send our contributions in to Lansing Heritage, earmarked for the John Eargle Fund, and then the LH Forum Treasurer can make one collective donation to the fund in the name of Lansing Heritage. Perhaps with a certain % matching from the LH Forum itself. Does this sound like something the Forum would want to do or am I just creating more work for our already overburdened treasurer?

4313B
06-02-2007, 02:41 PM
I think it's an excellent idea.

Ken Pachkowsky
06-02-2007, 02:42 PM
the LH Forum Treasurer can make one collective donation to the fund in the name of Lansing Heritage.

Thats a great idea. If Bo is up to the task of course.

Ken

Titanium Dome
06-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Thats a great idea. If Bo is up to the task of course.

Ken

I thought he stepped down as treasurer. (?) Even if that's the case, we can still do this.

Ken Pachkowsky
06-02-2007, 07:55 PM
I thought he stepped down as treasurer. (?) Even if that's the case, we can still do this.

Hmm, did not know that. I don't hang here as much anymore.

Ken

Don McRitchie
06-05-2007, 07:42 AM
Thanks for posting this Mark.

I would like to pursue the following. I propose starting off a Lansing Heritage fund drive for the scholarship with a $500 contribution from our standing fund. From this point on, until June 13, every donation to our Paypal account would be added to this amount with the resulting total turned over to the scholarship fund in time for the June 14 tribute. I know that Bo is withdrawing as treasurer, but we have yet to name a replacement. I am hoping that he can weigh in here and let us know if he can coordinate this as one of his last duties. If no one objects, I will send an email to all members of this forum soliciting a contribution to this scholarship.

Don

FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP

Memorial Event to be Held in Hollywood, Educational
Fund Announced for Donations.

NORTHRIDGE, CALIFORNIA, May 25, 2007 — Following up on the passing earlier this month of audio industry pioneer John M. Eargle, details were today confirmed for a memorial tribute to the life and work of John Eargle to take place in Los Angeles on June 14th.
The event will be held at the Linwood Dunn Theater of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences at the Pickford Center for Motion Picture Study, 1313 North Vine Street (at Fountain) in Hollywood, California. The event will begin at 8:00PM, with a pre-reception starting at 6:30PM. A number of friends and colleagues from the many areas of the audio industry who John touched have been asked to speak on the personal and professional impact that John had on them and the many areas of his endeavors. All friends and colleagues of John are welcome to attend.

In addition, a scholarship fund has been established in John’s name under the auspices of the Audio Engineering Society’s Educational Foundation. The John M. Eargle Memorial Scholarship will be given to a deserving student who combines the attributes of engineering capability and musical interests in the tradition of John Eargle. The Scholarship is being established with an initial donation from JBL/Harman International Industries, Incorporated. Contributions should be made by check to the AES Educational Foundation with instructions to credit the Eargle Fund. They should be mailed to: AES Educational Foundation, Robert Sherwood, Treasurer, One Wolf’s Lane, Pelham, NY, 10803. All contributions will be acknowledged.

4313B
06-05-2007, 07:54 AM
I would like to pursue the following. I propose starting off a Lansing Heritage fund drive for the scholarship with a $500 contribution from our standing fund.Thanks for making this happen Don. My contribution has just been submitted.

kingjames
06-05-2007, 07:56 AM
Great idea! My donation will be there today.

sourceoneaudio
06-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Donation submitted. ;)

Jeff
J/S-S1A

scott fitlin
06-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Just read this. I WILL contribute to this, education is always a worthy cause.

scott fitlin
06-05-2007, 10:47 AM
I need an address to send my donation as I have no paypal. I would like to get my donation out tomorrow morning, so I need information today.

I will donate $500.00 to this, I believe in education.

Don McRitchie
06-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Scotty

You don't need a Paypal account to make a payment through Paypal, as you can see by clicking the Paypal button above.

Don

Audiobeer
06-05-2007, 06:38 PM
I had no ideal the impact he had on the site. Thanks Don!

ndnorth
06-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Hi Don,

Sorry to post a late reply but I am just now hearing the news.

Very sad to hear of John's passing. I had just seen him last fall at an AES meeting in Toronto.

John was one of our favorites while I was at JBL. You could always depend on him to come over and have a listen to a new product and give some gentle but precise feedback.

There didn't seem to be any subject that he didn't have great insight into. Since these ranged from technical subjects to a great love and knoweldge of music, I always felt he was a real renaissance man. We worked together on a technical paper and his writing was equally refined.

I'll never forget the time he graciously invited my wife and I to his house in the hills. Yes he played the piano and we listened to some fine recordings. At the end of the evening he gave me a signed copy of one of his books, which still has a prime place on my bookshelf.

I moved away but we still bumped into each other at the odd AES meeting or CES. Sad to think that he is gone.

David Smith

Don McRitchie
06-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Hi David

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and share your experiences with John. He was a class act and will be missed.

Don

330indy
06-06-2007, 12:18 PM
I'll never forget meeting him at a CES a few years back. I recall he was soft spoken. I really wanted to sit down with him and dig into conversation, but he was on his way to another meeting. He noticed my name tag and he was the one that told me about my family name/history in the pipe organ making business, since he had played a few of them in his time.
He worked for PWK at one time in the mid 50's.
I feel fortunate to have brushed near to his brilliance. He was such a multi-gifted person with his musical and technical prowess. He was a gentleman and a scholar.

boputnam
06-06-2007, 03:46 PM
From this point on, until June 13, every donation to our Paypal account would be added to this amount with the resulting total turned over to the scholarship fund in time for the June 14 tribute. I know that Bo is withdrawing as treasurer, but we have yet to name a replacement. I am hoping that he can weigh in here and let us know if he can coordinate this as one of his last duties. Howdy...

Just arrived London, closing a brutal 23-hr travel "day" today from the Russian Far East, and nearing end of a weeks' long trip. I've not had any sort of access to the 1st world since a week-ago (my travels are remarkably, well, rural... :o: ), I am therefore, only vaguely aware of these worthy proceedings, but note the arrival of contributions to treasury in support of this. As I pledged personally, I am in, and very cool of the Forumites for their commitments, too...

Apologies, but right now I personally don't have bandwidth to delve deeper, here in London, under my exhaustion, but will on return to SanFran, tomorrow. Rest assured the "coordination" is in-hand. :). Likewise for the 'cumulated pm's - if it's OK, I'll reply over the next day...

:snore:

Robh3606
06-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Thanks Bo

kingjames
06-06-2007, 06:55 PM
thanks again, Bo

Michael Smith
06-07-2007, 12:09 AM
I thought some members here might get a kick out of this as John Eargle was sort of adopted here sitting at right hand James B.
This is an original sleeve/covernote from the time when John was staff musical director and head of the Klipschtape division.
Michael

boputnam
06-07-2007, 01:59 AM
You don't need a Paypal account to make a payment through Paypal, as you can see by clicking the Paypal button above.To all...

If you wish to avoid PayPal fees (variably approx. 3%), you can send me a personal check (in my name) or money order - I transfer the funds into the LH treasury account, free of fees. This is not a hassle, and all is documented in hardcopy files of the LH treasury.

Send me a pm if you need my postal address... :)

Don McRitchie
06-07-2007, 05:44 AM
Hi Bo

Thank you very much for taking this on with virtually no notice while a continent away. I got your PM and will respond in more detail later this morning.

Don

kingjames
06-07-2007, 07:11 AM
With all our differences aside this is what it's all about to me.This is how I can give back to this forum. I did not know John Eargle, I knew his music and it was stunning. I did not contribute a huge sum but something that I could afford and in doing so want to show my appreciation for someone who hand their hands on creating this forum.I also do this for you Don as I could only wish to have a friend of you're caliber as I can see how deeply this has affected you.

Don, I personally want to thankyou for your gift to this forum and in my case my contribution is for both of you.:o:

boputnam
06-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Howdy...

Just arrived from the UK - took a glimpse at the treasury activity. You "guys" are nothing short of awesome. I thought I'd share an interim Scholarship fundraising update - I am personally overwhelmed with the response.

Fund Drive donations, June 5 to current:

US$ 992.00 Gross
.......(36.21) less PayPal Fees
US$ 955.79 Net

And, this does not include the $500 seed authorized by Don.

Don - a couple of questions?

- What do you know of the timing of this Funding? Do you want to set a close date?
- Or, shall we give an indication to AES at the Memorial, and also keep this choice as a donation option going-forward? I don't know whether this is in your plan, but if it can be indicated on the "DONATE" button, I can readily track these monies separately and quarterly make a distribution to the Scholarship, on your authority.

Don McRitchie
06-08-2007, 07:49 AM
Hi Bo

I indicated a close date of June 13 for a couple of reasons. It is just before the June 14 Eargle tribute and there might be an opportunity to present a check at that function (I still have to look into this).

The more significant reason has to do with past experience with our last fund raiser. Both then and now, I made a forum announcement followed by a mass mailing to all registered forum members requesting their assistance. Last time, the mailing had far more impact than the forum announcement since only a very small percentage of the overall membership reads any given post. Putting a closing date in the mailing seemed to help spur an immediate response. People are less likely to procrastinate if there is a stated deadline.

Nonetheless, I do like the idea of there being an opportunity for long term fundraising towards the scholarship. As I said in my initial post in this thread, it is my intent to have a permanent tribute page to John on this site in the near term. I can easily put a Paypal button on that page that would function indefinitely. It would direct donations to the same LH account that you have set up for the site, but each would come labeled as a donation for the scholarship.

Don

Fred Sanford
06-08-2007, 08:11 AM
Respect & gratitude to all involved in planning & follow through for this.

Donation sent.

je

alskinner
06-08-2007, 09:44 AM
What I know about audio is from "Standing on the Shoulders of Giants". John Eargle was certainly one of these. Donation sent.

Regards
AL

scott fitlin
06-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Donation sent.

Robh3606
06-09-2007, 06:35 AM
Donation Sent

mech986
06-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Donation Done, Thanks Bo and Don.

Regards,

Bart

Baron030
06-12-2007, 07:11 AM
Donation Sent

Baron030 :)

boputnam
06-12-2007, 09:13 AM
I indicated a close date of June 13 for a couple of reasons. It is just before the June 14 Eargle tribute and there might be an opportunity to present a check at that function ...Howdy, gang...

All donations received to LH through 13 June, 24.00hrs, will go toward the AES John Eargle Scholarship. While final details are not known, Don McRitchie will be attending the memorial service and will make some presentation, there. The response here has been nothing short of overwhelming.

I will make good effort to post the fundraising totals early on 14 June. Thereafter, donation options will revert to solely the LH site until Don can organize for the AES John Eargle Scholarship to be shown as an option.

Don McRitchie
06-13-2007, 12:31 AM
Thanks to Bo for all of your hard work in tracking this on very short notice. My thanks also to everyone who contributed.

Don

Titanium Dome
06-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Done as well.

I have a gang violence task force meeting in south LA tomorrow evening, or I'd try to get to Northridge myself. Don, will you be in LA for a couple of days? Can we organize an impromptu get-together with SoCal members (and anyone else who might make the trip)?

mech986
06-13-2007, 06:17 PM
I'll be at a worship practice for my church on Thursday evening, otherwise I would attend the Eargle program as well (its near where my son is living in Hollywood and where he attended the L.A. Film school), I'd be up for a quick gathering if one was to take place. First round on me!

Regards,

Bart

Don McRitchie
06-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Done as well.

Can we organize an impromptu get-together with SoCal members (and anyone else who might make the trip)?

Currently, Saturday is open if you want to try and arrange something. Unfortunately, I only have time to pop in here for a few minutes a day so I'm not in a position to do any real organizing.

Son

Titanium Dome
06-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Okay, Bart and I can organize something. Don, will you be in LA (in the Valley) or Long Beach?

There are lots of great spots in Long Beach, as well as certain parts of LA. If we choose Long Beach, maybe there's a visit to the Steve Schell Museum of Odd Bits and Antiquities and the Horn Hall of Fame in the cards.

I'd recommend an early lunch (11:00 or 11:30 AM) followed (if possible) by a visit to Steve's or another member's domain for a little listening and looking session.

Bart, what do you think? Will Sat midday work?

mech986
06-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Okay, Bart and I can organize something. Don, will you be in LA (in the Valley) or Long Beach?

There are lots of great spots in Long Beach, as well as certain parts of LA. If we choose Long Beach, maybe there's a visit to the Steve Schell Museum of Odd Bits and Antiquities and the Horn Hall of Fame in the cards.

I'd recommend an early lunch (11:00 or 11:30 AM) followed (if possible) by a visit to Steve's or another member's domain for a little listening and looking session.

Bart, what do you think? Will Sat midday work?

Hi TD,

Please check your PM's regarding my schedule conflicts. Its a great idea but my schedule on Sat and Sunday am/early PM won't work for me to be there. However, if it works for you guys, go for it. I will be trying to get to the memorial tonight though.

Besides Don, and probably Steve, anyone else going to the memorial or interested in meeting up with Don and Steve?

Regards,

Bart

Titanium Dome
06-14-2007, 03:31 PM
There's a new thread here for information on the Saturday get-together.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=173382#post173382

After Saturday, I would ask a moderator to take out posts #76–80 to clean up this thread.