PDA

View Full Version : Can I get moderator powers over a thread I start?

glen
05-09-2007, 02:55 PM
I am wondering if there is a way to have a thread that is readable by anyone, but where the originator OWNS the thread and can selectively lock the thread, so only he, or those he has given permission to, can add posts (use buddy list?).
Something like giving moderator powers for a particular thread to the initiator of the thread. This could be one way to help keep threads on topic, and they could also be edited and cleaned up much later, maybe after a lively discussion.

Some of my favorite threads are the DIY construction projects. And some times I can't resist adding my 2 cents worth, or just gushing about how nice the final product is. But once a project has run it's course it might benefit from the same sort of editing as the Quick and Dirty 4430 thread.

hjames
05-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Well, I put a final post in the "Looky ... L200 thread" I had going (kinda moot now that I actually have a real 434x system) and asked that the thread be closed this morning. Now its closed. But I agree - there are some divergent posts that would be nice to edit or remove to maintain the main focus of the thread ...

I am wondering if there is a way to have a thread that is readable by anyone, but where the originator OWNS the thread and can selectively lock the thread, so only he, or those he has given permission to, can add posts (use buddy list?).
Something like giving moderator powers for a particular thread to the initiator of the thread. This could be one way to help keep threads on topic, and they could also be edited and cleaned up much later, maybe after a lively discussion.

Some of my favorite threads are the DIY construction projects. And some times I can't resist adding my 2 cents worth, or just gushing about how nice the final product is. But once a project has run it's course it might benefit from the same sort of editing as the Quick and Dirty 4430 thread.

Robh3606
05-09-2007, 03:42 PM
No unfortunately they cannot be set-up that way. It's by Forum only, you can't set it up so it's post only. We generally don't go back and edit threads unless there is an offensive post. I would like the posts to stay more on topic as well but all it takes is one post and Off Topic it goes. If you have a current thread and want an Off Topic post deleted PM one of the Moderators.

Rob:)

Zilch
05-09-2007, 05:32 PM
But once a project has run it's course it might benefit from the same sort of editing as the Quick and Dirty 4430 thread.It took me most of a weekend to do the Q&D Contents, but it was time well invested, at least for me. I can navigate the two threads quite handily with that to find most information there.

I may take a slightly different approach to the Valencia thread, but one idea I'm mulling over is that the last post in a thread before it's closed might be an index of similar sort, with an edit of the first post linking to it. My understanding is that it's not possible to insert a post, for example, at the beginning, but the existing first post can be edited by a mod or administrator.... :dont-know

There's also the possibility of private forums, I believe, which could be made public after closing, maybe?

Titanium Dome
05-09-2007, 06:10 PM

That would be an exceptional thing to have, even after the fact. I'd love to be able to go through the Performance Series thread and remove all the redundancies, BS, and cute talk and get it right down to the key stuff. I'd also like to fold in a couple of PS threads started by people who couldn't or wouldn't search before posting, then get rid of the supercilious ones.

Rob, since that's not possible, is there a way to have a thread starter consolidate all the posts into a separate, searchable archive and lock it while leaving the original, bloated thread open to more posts? Then if something worthy were added, the thread starter could add it to the archive?

boputnam
05-09-2007, 07:03 PM
...is there a way to have a thread starter consolidate all the posts into a separate, searchable archive and lock it while leaving the original, bloated thread open to more posts? Then if something worthy were added, the thread starter could add it to the archive?Censorship!!! OMG!! The heresy... :rotfl:

Sorry, it's that same dung that gets thrown at us every time we try to do anything close to that (even tho it's a good idea...).

Titanium Dome
05-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Censorship!!! OMG!! The heresy... :rotfl:

Sorry, it's that same dung that gets thrown at us every time we try to do anything close to that (even tho it's a good idea...).

It's all in how you phrase it. ;) I don't want to censor anything; I just want "editorial discretion." Doesn't that sound much nicer?

All the original, uncensored stuff, warts and all, would be in an original thread that just went deeper into the belly of the beast, while the Performance Series Archive would be an actual, searchable resource.

There could be a separate forum: "JBL Series Archives" that's Read Only. The first post of each thread would include links to other PS information on the site, like System Information, Transducer Information, relevant Tech Notes, Tech Sheet links, etc. Then the expurgated thread would follow.

jim campbell
05-09-2007, 07:55 PM
if the problem is as simple as separating the wheat from the chaff could not the mods just ask the posters of extranious information for permission to delete same?im sure most members if asked would be inclined to be accomodating .and even if a few refused the thread would be streamlined at least by as much as the ones who agreed to the deletions

scott fitlin
05-09-2007, 08:00 PM
if the problem is as simple as separating the wheat from the chaff could not the mods just ask the posters of extranious information for permission to delete same?im sure most members if asked would be inclined to be accomodating .and even if a few refused the thread would be streamlined at least by as much as the ones who agreed to the deletionsIt is a nice idea, to ask people to delete, or edit their own chaff. But, then, you run the risk of being told you are telling people how to think, what to say, and that it all has to be one way here, and that we are censoring them.

But, I happen to agree with Ti about being able to keep your thread focused and on topic. After all, if the author of a thread is serious about what they are speaking about, its fair to want all the posts 'on topic' and of a serious nature.

jim campbell
05-09-2007, 08:33 PM
It is a nice idea, to ask people to delete, or edit their own chaff. But, then, you run the risk of being told you are telling people how to think, what to say, and that it all has to be one way here, and that we are censoring them.

But, I happen to agree with Ti about being able to keep your thread focused and on topic. After all, if the author of a thread is serious about what they are speaking about, its fair to want all the posts 'on topic' and of a serious nature.i understand that but i think that the censorshp aspect is avoided by the voluntary nature of the request and im sure that if folks are aware that the requests are made to facilitate the accessability of useful tech and diy info that most would not feel put upon

scott fitlin
05-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Yes, I see your point, but unfortunately, Rob says it just cant be done.

You either have moderator status over an entire section of the forum, or you dont, thats just the way the software works.

Zilch
05-09-2007, 08:57 PM
if the problem is as simple as separating the wheat from the chaff could not the mods just ask the posters of extranious information for permission to delete same?im sure most members if asked would be inclined to be accomodating .and even if a few refused the thread would be streamlined at least by as much as the ones who agreed to the deletionsAnd who so we suppose is gonna DO all that? :blink:

glen
05-10-2007, 03:13 AM
No unfortunately they cannot be set-up that way. It's by Forum only, you can't set it up so it's post only. We generally don't go back and edit threads unless there is an offensive post. I would like the posts to stay more on topic as well but all it takes is one post and Off Topic it goes. If you have a current thread and want an Off Topic post deleted PM one of the Moderators.
Thanks for the info Robh!

That would be an exceptional thing to have, even after the fact. I'd love to be able to go through the Performance Series thread and remove all the redundancies, BS, and cute talk and get it right down to the key stuff.
Yeah Dome, that was pretty much what I had in mind.
I really don't mind the "BS, and cute talk" while the posts are current and active, they're kind of normal forum fun. But it would be nice to tidy up as you say "after the fact" when you can have a clear overview of which off-topic meanderings are interesting, and which don't really add up to much.

glen
05-10-2007, 03:19 AM
one idea I'm mulling over is that the last post in a thread before it's closed might be an index of similar sort, with an edit of the first post linking to it. My understanding is that it's not possible to insert a post, for example, at the beginning, but the existing first post can be edited by a mod or administrator....
This sounds like a pretty good idea Zilch, index is usually at the end of the book anyway

glen
05-10-2007, 03:24 AM
Censorship!!! OMG!! The heresy... :rotfl:

Oh No!!! I'm usually doing the throwing too!
Guess I'll have to jump into the heap myself :blink:

4313B
05-10-2007, 07:20 AM
You guys are about three years too late with this idea... been there, done that already.
Nice thought about personal ownership of a thread though.

Robh3606
05-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Hello T Dome

I think if we just police the threads as they go it won't have that much of an impact. The original poster can just put a request in the original post to please keep the thread on topic. I think most would respect those wishes from the outset. If the thread gets a couple of pages we can easilly remove an off topic post and put a reminder that this is an On Topic thread as requested by the originator. I have no problem doing this in real time. It is much easier than going in after the fact and having to worry about keeping things in context after there are responses and the thread strays.

4313B
05-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Agreed.

Ian Mackenzie
05-10-2007, 01:58 PM
If you actually have a project my suggestion is this.

Keep it short, not more than two pages.

Prepare all your posts and images in advance and cut and paste from word or photoshop.

Open a new thread and post some markers. Enough to cover what you want then go back and edit with the content. Yiu just booking some posts for maintaining the flow of your topic.(I dont think its unreasonable to expect a reply).

Ian

Mr. Widget
05-10-2007, 09:24 PM
If you actually have a project my suggestion is this.
Keep it short, not more than two pages.I agree. When a perfectly good thread spawns a new perfectly good topic... or an obvious change of direction from the original, it would be quite helpful if the poster would start a new thread. Starting new threads in this way creates shorter and simpler threads and makes navigation far simpler.

For those of you who already make this your practice thank you... for you folks who just like to pile on... please try to make your threads less cumbersome by simply starting new threads... it only takes a second or two.

Widget

Titanium Dome
05-10-2007, 11:00 PM
So you'd prefer shorter but more prolific threads. :hmm:

I can kind of see Ian's point for projects, but need more help seeing how it works with all threads.

Ian Mackenzie
05-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Ti,

Not all threads are about projects and therefore I dont think its reasonable for the originator to control the discussion unless of course you are only interested in your own point of view.

It is more a moderator role to help steer a discuss if it is going off the edge!

If the latter is the case I would deem it a Blog and as we have discussed elsewhere anyone can do so that in their on space.

JBLnsince1959
05-11-2007, 08:32 AM
All the original, uncensored stuff, warts and all, would be in an original thread that just went deeper into the belly of the beast, while the Performance Series Archive would be an actual, searchable resource.

There could be a separate forum: "JBL Series Archives" that's Read Only. The first post of each thread would include links to other PS information on the site, like System Information, Transducer Information, relevant Tech Notes, Tech Sheet links, etc. Then the expurgated thread would follow.

Dome;

That's something i've thought about and it would be really helpful. However, if we really think about it, we don't need a new forum, moderator help, or changing anything.... We just need to do it...

what i mean is this..if someone wants a more "just the Facts" PS Thread ( or any other thread), just do this:

1. Create a new thread in the same forum and name it something like " Performance series - Tech facts

2. Start cutting and copying from the old thread post by post ( or others threads if you want) and posting and pasting in the new thread..

done:applaud:

3. also, in the first post we can ask the members NOT to post as this is a tech thread ( it's been done before on threads for reference) and if some idiot does post THEN the moderators can come in and delete the posts

4. Once the thread is completed, have it locked or set to read only.

If we start to have a lot of these then the moderators will think awhile and then maybe create a new forum and move the threads there

The ONLY thing I see missing is the willingness for people to spend a lot of time doing this..

less talk..more doing...

hjames
05-11-2007, 03:03 PM
yep - I came to the same conclusion trying to rethink my threads aka the "4320 Project" thread that links to the "Looky ...L200" thread that I just closed after I linked it to the new "Looky ... 4341" thread.
I mean, I know Giskard and Ian and Riessen and Zilch are knowledgable and great resources to have here, and I hate to disturb any of them, but they have provided input and direction as I moved forward and others later may decide to take a similar path. So if I can imbed links that point at the critical posts in other threads I read that influenced me and helped give me direction, that's a good thing. Not everyone will find a factory 4-way that fits within their budget - for some folks, building it up in stages like I was doing is a better approach. Of course, it would be helpful to remove some of the divergent posts out of the thread to tighten it up ...

And there are other places that kind of external editor could help - sometimes the LHS search engine brings up so many links on a topic its overwhelming - but to do a general intro to a topic with pointers and links to relevant existing threads would be a good thing.

Ian Mackenzie
05-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Heather,

You raise from good points.

Links are useful to avoid redundancy but if you are want something specific and concise I would tend to structure your thread that way and post the reference thinks at the end.

People like to read whats in front of them and the hyperlinks don't always discuss the points you are referring to and they can also be riddled with off topic replys. It also depends to on how much a topic has been trashed to death as I can imagine you might appreciate

We have to work within the tools we have. My approach would be edit what you want into Word at home and attach it and then upload for comment in a ""data collection thread replay"" thread and edit the Word doc as required as attach for further comment.

Then post your reference thread using the word doc as a template when you are done. That way you have a nice slick thread with all the information and input that you wanted. Naturally you may wish to post credits and references at the end.

I think there is always lattitude to edit a thread down if needed. A shorter thread is always better than a long thread.

Incidentially I posted a thread oh about 3 years ago on the 4341 and I think Rick or was it John was/is an owner and posted a lot of information.

Ian

hjames
05-12-2007, 07:42 AM
You guys have given me great inspiration and tips already.

So, I am working on a 4340/4341 references thread - http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16493

baby steps I know, but I am JUST starting out with it. I've asked folks not to post in it directly and to send notes and info via PMs so I can keep it on topic. Hopefully I want have to disturb the Mods too much (not at all yet!)

Not sure how much I will post there today - we are having a cookout to celebrate the blooms of the azaleas and guests are due this afternoon so much prep awaits (and I've gotta put those darned L200s somewhere!!!).

And yes, there is a life offline!

Audiobeer
05-12-2007, 09:29 AM
I have found the boards to be very liberal as to what you can post as long as it isn't mean spirited. I have gotten a few emails on marginal issues asking me to refrain from an attack or smart ass remark towards someone I didn't agree with. In retrospect the warnings were fair and friendly.

Theres always going to be a certain amount of noise going off by a certain amount of people. I applaud the moderaters for a job well done.
:applaud: