PDA

View Full Version : Apostrophy/Overnight Sensation Now on DVD

toddalin
05-08-2007, 09:54 AM
The other day I received the new Apostrophy/Overnight Sensation DVD disk put out by Dweezel Zappa (released ~May 5).

The disk includes the two albums, lots of bonus tracks (like Zappa doing "The Slime" on SNL that I remember seeing at the time) and Zappa working in the studio mixing on JBL 4311s.

I've only gotten through the first 10 minutes (wife can't miss Dancing With the Stars) but looks good so far.:cool:

Storm
05-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Where did you purchase it from and how much was it?

I just finished watching the VH1 Classics about that album.

Damn, wasn't Zappa a genius! The imagination that guy had was amazing.

Has anyone seen Zappa play Zappa? They come through town once in a while, but never have gone.

Any reviews? Should I go next time?

;)

-Storm.

Storm
05-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Imagination runs wild while eating MUSHROOMS 24/7. :blink:

Jeff
J/S-S1A

You need to watch the documentary.

Zappa never used drugs, nor did he advocate them.

;)

-Storm.

hjames
05-08-2007, 12:17 PM
I dunno 'bout that.
Zappa was always pretty adament about not doing drugs - 'shrooms wasn't his style ... Yours perhaps?

Imagination runs wild while eating MUSHROOMS 24/7. :blink:

Jeff
J/S-S1A

jim campbell
05-08-2007, 03:59 PM
I dunno 'bout that.
Zappa was always pretty adament about not doing drugs - 'shrooms wasn't his style ... Yours perhaps?i think a good dose of something would be needed to get through dweezil trying to play his dad's stuff. there was only one frank.did you mean could gawd y'all?

toddalin
05-08-2007, 05:23 PM
Where did you purchase it from and how much was it?

I just finished watching the VH1 Classics about that album.

Has anyone seen Zappa play Zappa? They come through town once in a while, but never have gone.

;)

-Storm.

CD Universe, $11.09 + $2.99 S/H

hjames
05-08-2007, 05:39 PM

Has anyone seen Zappa play Zappa?

;)

-Storm.

Yeah, I saw Frank and the Mothers at Cole Field House - Md University around '75 or so and once a bit later .. I like some of his albums, but he could be a real pain in the Ass - sometimes he just wanted to screw around onstage ... and you paid to see him ...

I got Uncle Meat, Hot Rats, Waka Jawaka, Grand Wazoo, Overnight Sensation, a few others ...

Thats Zappa playin' Zappa - if you were lucky ...
the son and his entourage ... um.. not so sure.
Maybe he ought to get a day job.

kingjames
05-08-2007, 06:39 PM

;)

-Storm.

Never ate Yellow Snow either.;)

toddalin
05-08-2007, 06:55 PM

;)

-Storm.

Saw Frank doing his thing at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium around 1983. Seats were third row all the way to the side. Traded them for some 21st row more toward the center. Quite loud and the sound system seemed fairly distorted.

Still, Frank jammed as only Zappa can. My wife certainly didn't enjoy it.

toddalin
05-08-2007, 06:57 PM

;)

-Storm.

Zappa got off on countless groupies (in more ways than one can imagine I imagine). ;)

Robh3606
05-08-2007, 06:58 PM
i think a good dose of something would be needed to get through dweezil trying to play his dad's stuff. there was only one frank.did you mean could gawd y'all?

Well you would be wrong. Saw them at Halloween and I am seeing them again in June and on Halloween this year if they repeat. One of the best concerts I have seen in a long time.

Rob:)

toddalin
05-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Well you would be wrong. Saw them at Haloween and I am seeing them again in June and on Haloween this year if they repeat. One of the best concerts I have seen in a long time.

Frank was big on playing on Halloween. I guess Dweezel is carrying on the tradition.

I have Dweezel's compilation of Frank's live music recorded at Halloween (appropriately enough entitled Halloween) in DVD-Audio/DTS.

Robh3606
05-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Frank was big on playing on Halloween. I guess Dweezel is carrying on the tradition.

Yes he is and in the same venue. I went to several of those shows back in the 70's and they were a blast!! Most would come in costumes and they were as much fun as the show.

jim campbell
05-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Well you would be wrong. Saw them at Halloween and I am seeing them again in June and on Halloween this year if they repeat. One of the best concerts I have seen in a long time.

Rob:)well good for you.let me know how the julian lennon show turns out.

Robh3606
05-11-2007, 09:23 PM
well good for you.let me know how the julian lennon show turns out.

Wouldn't know have not seen him. Maybe you should get out more and not make assumptions that have no basis in fact.

jim campbell
05-12-2007, 12:19 AM
maybe you should tone down the iciness in your posts.a paranoid guy might think that certain members view my stuff as just another opportunity to lay a smarty pants reply on me ,but thats not my style.

jblnut
05-19-2007, 08:05 AM

Agreed - it was an amazing show. We covered it in this thread also:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3160&highlight=zappa

On a similar note I just picked up his DVD-Audio "Quadrophiliac". I'm a little disappointed. It's not quite up to the level of some of the other surround DVD's I've heard. Still, it's cool to hear some new mixes of the older tunes.

jblnut

toddalin
05-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Agreed - it was an amazing show. We covered it in this thread also:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3160&highlight=zappa

On a similar note I just picked up his DVD-Audio "Quadrophiliac". I'm a little disappointed. It's not quite up to the level of some of the other surround DVD's I've heard. Still, it's cool to hear some new mixes of the older tunes.

jblnut

Have it also and agree.

Titanium Dome
05-20-2007, 11:49 AM

I have Dweezel's compilation of Frank's live music recorded at Halloween (appropriately enough entitled Halloween) in DVD-Audio/DTS.

You inspired me to put this back in the player. THis is a pretty rich disc, with videos, an interview, libretto, etc. in addition to some pretty nice surround mixes. Maybe I'll add my re-impressions to the 5.1 Bonanza thread.

pentictonklaus
05-21-2007, 09:21 PM

I did , please go for it. A must see. Check you tube for some gigs.
Klaus