PDA

View Full Version : L100 upgrade with 2405H into a Jubal?

drzzzz
05-07-2007, 01:27 PM
After listening to my L300 summits for sometime now, My L100s do not sound the same. I am unwilling to part with the L100s for sentimental reasons. I made the impulsive decision to purchase 2405s to upgrade the L100s to perhaps Jubal L65s hopefully with more clarity in the high end.

Is it simplistic to think that I just might swap out the two transducers?

Would anyone suggest a crossover that I could perhaps buy on ebay?
Or perhaps a new crossover?

Would a Jubal crossover work well?

Thank you

boputnam
05-07-2007, 01:52 PM
After listening to my L300 summits for sometime now, My L100s do not sound the same. Well, there is that...

I am unwilling to part with the L100s for sentimental reasons. I made the impulsive decision to purchase 2405s to upgrade the L100s to perhaps Jubal L65s hopefully with more clarity in the high end.What happened to the sentimentality...? :blink:

Is it simplistic to think that I just might swap out the two transducers?You can, but then you would have neither.

Would a Jubal crossover work well?Dood, if you like a Jubal, get one. They surpass the L100 in many ways, particularly if you stuff a 128H-1 in that 12-in hole (as recommended as a substitute in the ts)...

grumpy
05-07-2007, 02:08 PM
You've entered the custom DIY zone...
Way beyond the scope of a simple reply that will fix everything.
2405 will not be happy without crossover mods... I'd follow Bo's advice
unless you're looking for boom & sizzle. L100's are what they are.

That said, I think there's a thread here somewhere, where someone
accomplished something similar to what you're asking, and were
happy with the results, after a -lot- of work.

If I have time, I'll try to find the thread.

-grumpy

provided by member Akira:
http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7940

boputnam
05-07-2007, 02:39 PM
...someone accomplished something similar to what you're asking, and were happy with the results, after a -lot- of work. Yup, and the corollary is often the case, too. :(

Swapping transducers is only fun while they and the screws fit into the holes. After that, it often results in boxes and crossovers that ain't designed (optimized) for the bits they are being used for. It is, however a learning experience...

4313B
05-07-2007, 02:42 PM
It is, however a learning experience...Which is what one of our currently most prolific posters is doing in high speed motion so be sure to check out all the myriad combinations he has tried so far. My take on it is - eBay those mids and highs, put those lows in big boxes, or maybe it's seal boxes now, :hmm: set wave guides and second hand 2435's on top of the boxes and crank the f-----s! The quicker and dirtier the better. :yes:

boputnam
05-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Which is what one of our currently most prolific posters is doing in high speed motion so be sure to check out all the myriad combinations he has tried so far. My take on it is - eBay those mids and highs, put those lows in big boxes, or maybe it's a seal boxes now, :hmm: set wave guides and second hand 2435's on top of the boxes and crank the f-----s! The quicker and dirtier the better. :yes:Favorite post of the day...

Zilch
05-07-2007, 03:41 PM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=122946&postcount=9

Awww, JEEZ! :banghead:

:D

After listening to my L300 summits for sometime now, My L100s do not sound the same.No, and they never will. They are what they are.

Let 'em be that.... :yes:

grumpy
05-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Then, there's that to contemplate. :spin:

boputnam
05-07-2007, 04:00 PM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=122946&postcount=9

Awww, JEEZ! :banghead:
Huh. I interpreted Giskar's post as a reflection on your genius... :coolness:

Zilch
05-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Huh. I interpreted Giskar's post as a reflection on your genius... :coolness:Giskard's helpin' me with that particular combination, actually, in a different box. :thmbsup:

[I don't think he much likes the woofer, tho.... :no: ]

SMKSoundPro
05-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Is there some kind of contest between Giskard and Zilch being offered here on the forum?

Is there a right or wrong way to tweak speakers?

Does this forum attract tweakers?

Dear Moderators,
Giskard's posts, at times, read antagonistic towards Zilch.

(just read G's signature line.)

I'm just asking.

Scott.

ps. Moderators may remove this post if found offensive, or ill-advised. smk.

4313B
05-11-2007, 12:38 PM

JBLnsince1959
05-11-2007, 01:28 PM

!

4313B
05-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Dead issue as of the first of this week. Nothing to say.

boputnam
05-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Is there some kind of contest between Giskard and Zilch being offered here on the forum?Offered? Dunno...

Is there a right or wrong way to tweak speakers?Yea, baby. There is proper and there is "quick and dirty"... :p

Does this forum attract tweakers?We don't require posters submit urine samples, but it could be taken-up for a vote...

Dear Moderators,
Giskard's posts, at times, read antagonistic towards Zilch. "All's fun and games until someone looses an eye..." ( :hmm: , where did I first read that...? )

(just read G's signature line.)Have you read Zilch's? CAN you...? :rotfl:

hjames
05-11-2007, 02:02 PM
... (just read G's signature line.)

... Have you read Zilch's? CAN you...? :rotfl:

Sure - this is like that zen koan, right.?
"what is the meaning of ......'s signature, grasshopper?"

A stick of dried dung, teacher.
Now lets go for beers.:applaud:

edgewound
05-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Dear Moderators,
Giskard's posts, at times, read antagonistic towards Zilch.

(just read G's signature line.)

Hey Scott,

After you've been here awhile, you'll get a feel for both Zilch's and Giskard's forum personas.

Giskard gave Zilch a nice compliment a few days ago...'twas nice to see that.

Giskard is the "no room for errors" serious engineering type with an impatience for perceived BS.

Zilch is the consummate DIY'er, with the enthusiasm of a child to take apart and see how things work, and explain it along the way. He's also most generous with his time and encouragement for "git'er done", even though he can seem a bit rough around the edges.

These two fine gents seem to be polar opposites and also offer much to this forum depending on what one's level of sophistication is for this hobby/industry.

They both add lots of color to this place...and I respect them both for what they do.

Zilch doesn't seem to mind Giskard's outbursts at times....and some times I think he likes the good natured jousting.

I hope you guys don't mind my amateur analysis.:D

4313B
05-11-2007, 02:14 PM
I hope you guys don't mind my amateur analysis.:DNope. Pretty much what the owner of the site said...

SMKSoundPro
05-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Thank you for the explanation.

I will go back to my corner in the world and have fun with pile of drivers and other parts!

I didn't mean to hijack a thread. It just seemed that there was something odd there.

I was trained to be a speaker tweaker. I took everything apart when I was young, and has done me quite well in my life.

For the record: I have read Z's signature line, and always giggle at some of those sayings!
For the record: I ALWAYS tin before crimping!

As I study people here at the nightclub, and in aa meetings, I find that we are all a little different. A little odd in our ways. I am just grateful that we have something in common.

I was really sad to hear of Mr. Eargle's passing! I never met him, but I guarantee I have torn apart something he engineered to see how it works! And appreciated how well it was designed and manufactured! I have dedicated alot of my life in using and loving the JBL products, and choose not to leave home without them!

That being said, I will admit to myself, a Higher power and to another human being that: "My name is Scott, and I'm a JBL speaker tweaker! (resonse from assembly) Hi Scott."

Scott M. Koeller, EE, JBLSpkrTwkr

(Moderator is free to remove this post if it offends the many.)

boputnam
05-11-2007, 06:17 PM
...I'm a JBL speaker tweaker!Sadly, as of yet there is no Twelve Step program remedy for that... :p

Mr. Widget
05-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Sadly, as of yet there is no Twelve Step program remedy for that... :pDon't be sad grasshopper... follow the Noble Eightfold Path. Then even Bose will sound beautiful.:D

Widget

grumpy
06-02-2007, 04:24 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-JBL-4530-Type-Speakers-Unbelievably-RARE_W0QQitemZ190115699381QQihZ009QQcategoryZ50597 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

;)

pelly3s
06-04-2007, 08:40 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-JBL-4530-Type-Speakers-Unbelievably-RARE_W0QQitemZ190115699381QQihZ009QQcategoryZ50597 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

;)

why????????? lol :applaud:

speakerdave
06-10-2007, 10:05 AM
After listening to my L300 summits for sometime now, My L100s do not sound the same. I am unwilling to part with the L100s for sentimental reasons. I made the impulsive decision to purchase 2405s to upgrade the L100s to perhaps Jubal L65s hopefully with more clarity in the high end.

Is it simplistic to think that I just might swap out the two transducers?

Would anyone suggest a crossover that I could perhaps buy on ebay?
Or perhaps a new crossover?

Would a Jubal crossover work well?

Thank you

I think it is not a bad idea. Go ahead and try it. The L65's are often stripped and pieced out on ebay, the 077's being the main prize. Get the L65 crossovers and the LE5-5's; total cost should be well under $200. The modifications would be completely reversable. You will have dipped your toe into DIY modification at minimal expense.

David

Edit: No, I guess the 2405 will not fit in that tweeter hole. You may need to sacrifice the cabinet. That would change the equation for me.

hjames
06-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Why not do what all the Japanese JBl Fans do and make a cradle for the 2405 and rest it on top of your L100s? I sure wouldn't modify a good pair of collectable speakers.

speakerdave
06-10-2007, 10:50 AM
There's also this. I had some L65's for a while and thought a lot about how to ugrade those; in fact I posted about it on an earlier incarnation of the forum. Their problems in the upper midrange are different, but nearly of the same magnitude as the L100's. I compared them to my son's 4311's one day. I actually don't think this modification would please you any more than the L100's, now that you have been listening to L300's. But if you can try it harmlessly (Heather's suggestion is a good one) you might as well hear it for yourself.

David

Thom
06-10-2007, 08:03 PM
And now, for something completely different...

;)

That's interesting. I can't imagine the cab. working properly. Still, would have liked to have heard, once.

duaneage
06-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Search this forum for crossover modifications in the L100. The biggest problem with the L100 is the lack of a real crossover for the woofer adn midrange. The woofer runs wide open and the single 8 uf capacitor does not do very much for the midrange. With a better netowrk the L100 can sound quite good. The tweeter is more a weak point, I would cross it over at 5 K with a steeper network,