PDA

View Full Version : Looky What I just got - 4341 Monitors

Pages : 1 [2]

hjames
03-19-2011, 09:52 AM
80 HD Channels? I would sure like to know what channels they are. The HD Channels available here in Norway is 3 from the national broadcaster, 2 from other "Norwegian" broadcaster, Discovery, National Geographic, History Channel, 5 Sports Channels, 2 Movie Channels. That is 15. I might have forgot a couple, as I don't have the list in front of me right now.

When I say HD, I mean HD with minimum 720P/1080i. 1080P is at the present only on Blue Ray DVD.

Sure, minimum 720 - I get that - I think most of the better channels in SD (Standard Def) also have High Def version on the cable. like SciFi and SyFyHD, BBCA and BBCAHD, etc ...

There are about 10 local broadcast HDTVs (Networks like NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, etc) a lot of specialty stuff like Golf channel, ESPN (3 to 5 of those at least, plus quite a few regional sports!), Speed (Formula 1 and Rallye stuff in HD), NatGeo, Hallmark, BRAVO, Comedy Central, Discovery, The Learning Channel, SciFiHD, History, Home & Garden TV, BBC America HD, couple of goofies like MTV, VHS Palladium, The Box, Spike and some other I never watch, heck, man, there is a ton of them on Cable ... American Movie Classics, TNT, Lifetime, heck, more channels than I ever watch - but I imagine someone does!
And we don't even get the big pays like Cinemax, HBO, Showtime, The Movie Channel - and a bunch of others there too!

Rolf
03-19-2011, 10:55 AM
I understand. I put in only the ones I can actually watch. Of curse there is a lot of HD Channels from other satellites. German, Frence, Italian, Spanish etc etc. I haven't even bother counting them. I have 4 heads on my dish, and I believe it is about 3000 channels possible to watch. ... If you have the correct cards.

I use only on head, and on that satellite it is about 350 Channels, I subscribe to about 40-60 of them, but I use only about 30. That is also to many, as I can't use more than one at the time:D. Some programs I record to watch at a later time.

Sure, minimum 720 - I get that - I think most of the better channels in SD (Standard Def) also have High Def version on the cable. like SciFi and SyFyHD, BBCA and BBCAHD, etc ...

There are about 10 local broadcast HDTVs (Networks like NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, etc) a lot of specialty stuff like Golf channel, ESPN (3 to 5 of those at least, plus quite a few regional sports!), Speed (Formula 1 and Rallye stuff in HD), NatGeo, Hallmark, BRAVO, Comedy Central, Discovery, The Learning Channel, SciFiHD, History, Home & Garden TV, BBC America HD, couple of goofies like MTV, VHS Palladium, The Box, Spike and some other I never watch, heck, man, there is a ton of them on Cable ... American Movie Classics, TNT, Lifetime, heck, more channels than I ever watch - but I imagine someone does!
And we don't even get the big pays like Cinemax, HBO, Showtime, The Movie Channel - and a bunch of others there too!

hjames
03-19-2011, 11:59 AM
I understand. I put in only the ones I can actually watch. Of curse there is a lot of HD Channels from other satellites. German, Frence, Italian, Spanish etc etc. I haven't even bother counting them. I have 4 heads on my dish, and I believe it is about 3000 channels possible to watch. ... If you have the correct cards.

I use only on head, and on that satellite it is about 350 Channels, I subscribe to about 40-60 of them, but I use only about 30. That is also to many, as I can't use more than one at the time:D. Some programs I record to watch at a later time.

yep, local cable is about 800 channels but I don't view the foreign language stuff either.
Fairfax County is WAY diverse - but there are only so many hours I want to spend watching TV!

OUR CATV is quite nice - fiber quality plus 25 meg internet speeds - much better than US satellites.

I tried FIOS - not quite as fast internet - I build websites and need the faster speeds.

I don't have access to Euro satellites, so they are not a choice for us...

Understand that I use to run the satellite gear for a large (200,000+ customer)
CATV system in Maryland near here in the mid 90s .. I know the technology VERY well.

Rolf
03-19-2011, 05:38 PM
yep, local cable is about 800 channels but I don't view the foreign language stuff either. Fairfax County is WAY diverse - but there are only so many hours I want to spend watching TV!

Get rid of the cable TV. Get your own satellite receiver and dish. Much better picture, and more flexibility.:)

John
03-19-2011, 06:15 PM
I am sure you are right that this is a nice unit. I am not sure if it ever has been on the Norwegian marked at all. I have never seen it. I'll guess you are using component cables? or are you using HDMI? Do you have satellite or cable connection? It is my experience that there are quite a difference in quality between the two. Satellite wins. You should also be aware of that the Black level has become much better the past two years, and as I can read the specs my Sony 52" LCD has a better Black level than any CRT's ever had, and better than most other sets on the marked at this time. Another thing is that a 34" is to small in my opinion.

Yes it is a fantastic unit. And in the right room 34" can still work, It was not that long ago 27" was a big screen. I am using HDMI on the the XBR. It was ahead of it's time!
Not sure what countries it was sold in but mine came from the USA.
I only watch blu-ray movies, no cable no satellite on the XBR or on my Plasma.

As far as black levels go, do not believe the manufactures specs. Either get them from a review like CNET or measure your unit by yourself or by a TV tech.
I have seen some LCD panels that seem to have some good looking blacks but the LCD,s have too many problems with processing of picture, and fast moving scenes still show signs of smearing. I also find LCD's add a artificial look to film. Plasma never had a problem with speed and film looks like film not video. Blacks colors were always the problem with plasma till the Pioneer Kuro arrived.

Think of compression drivers and when Pioneer TAD arrived with Be diaphragm.:hmm:

hjames
12-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Did an upgrade to the system - sold the B-380 to one of my listening party friends - and replaced it with a 4641 from dkalsi! Darned thing dwarfs the L100T beside it and the 4341 on wheels to the left of it! Still using that Harman Kardon Citation amp in Mono mode - plenty of ooomph! But its nice - played a bit of Saving Private Ryan (the segment just before Alamo) from DVD - very nice Then a bit of Master and Commander on Blue Ray .. woah - THATS playing a bit deeper. Then I tweaked the crossover settings slightly in the Integra The played the Star Trek (Blue Ray) the starting passage with Kirk's father and nero .... sounds like it goes REALLY low. Yep it was a def worthwhile changeout! Thank you Dhar - and thanks to Steve for helping me unload this thing and get it in the house!!

Its certainly a change from the (now gone) B-380 with 2235 15 inch woofer

And the original system when I brought the B-380 home Feb 7, 2007

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=22634&stc=1&d=1170889886 (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=22634&stc=1&d=1170889886)

Lee in Montreal
12-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Looks like it you put it in a corner you'd get even more grunt. See how 1 Pi is better tha 2Pi. Imagine 1/2 Pi...

http://www.mvas.sitodi.com/images/bl_931600_image1.jpg

hjames
12-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Maybe, but its got a lot of ooomph already!
The HK Citation 22 worked great on the 15 inch,
seems to have plenty of power for the 18 as well!

I probably need to tune the Integra settings a bit better first.

If it goes in the corner, I suspect pictures will come down & plaster will crack ...!

Plus, the truth is - I am out of corners!
The 4341s are near the only available corners in the room.
... the opposite corners?
basement door at one, and door to the backyard at the other!

Looks like it you put it in a corner you'd get even more grunt.
See how 1 Pi is better tha 2Pi. Imagine 1/2 Pi...

4313B
12-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Looks like it you put it in a corner you'd get even more grunt. See how 1 Pi is better tha 2Pi. Imagine 1/2 Pi...

http://www.mvas.sitodi.com/images/bl_931600_image1.jpgThe JBL BX-63 has a 2nd order high pass filter at 26 Hz with Q=2, close enough for this Pro version of a B460.

hjames
05-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Just sold the 4341s for my asking price. Pickup will be within 2 weeks.
Now I have to dismount the whole biamp system and cleanup my TV room!

The only JBL speakers left in the home theater system is the LC2 center in Cherry -
They seem to be selling for over $200 - so I hope to sell that off within the month.

Oh, I'll keep that 18 inch sub - its happy there (grin)

I'll move the L20Ts up into my office.

hjames
05-19-2012, 08:41 AM
And in the wink of an eye, they are gone ... whoosh!

Only JBLs in the room right now are the 4641 sub, the LC-2 Center (which I may sell once I try another DCM as center),
and the no longer connected L20Ts temporarily still hanging in the back.
Plus the L200 custom 3 ways upstairs, and a pair of L19s in the basement/exercise space

I do have some rearranging to do with all the amps ...

FWIW - DCMs are from a now defunct company in Ann Arbor.
Its actually a little like Altec - somebody else owns the name now, but its not the same thing as the older models.

But these Time Frame speakers are fun, transmission line systems, with a big open airy sound and typical 92 db efficiency.
Typically under 50lbs. Blame it on the Dahlquists & Magneplanars I was playing with -
I've gotten to appreciate speakers where the sound isn't locked to a "box" but seems to float in the room ...

I've currently got a pair of TF600s as mains, TF500s as side surrounds, and TF400s in the back.
Playing with a pair of TF700s upstairs (A/B with the the Custom L200s) on th Jolida Tube amp ...
plus a pair of top of the line TF1000 on the way, and some small TimePiece satellite speakers I'll try one as a center.

HCSGuy
05-19-2012, 10:20 AM
I have owned several pairs of DCM's - TF400's, CX-17's, CX-27's, all excellent sounding. I sold them at Circuit City and every Christmas DCM had an accomodation that let you purchase a pair for something like 75% off retail. They were really voiced well and had a nice big image, though I was never taken by the Timewindows, which had rear firing midrange drivers as well and threw off a big, unfocused sound. We sold them really well when we could sit people down to actually listen to music. If not, they went home with Bose:) Actually, at the time our mix was the JBL L series, which didn't really sell, except for L1's, and the Harman Kardon/PSB speakers (Ten through Sixty), in which the Thirties really stood out as well.

Anyway, enjoy the DCM's, just don't open them up - the drivers are really garbage, especially to a JBL nut - cheap, pressed frame woofers and 19mm polyamide tweeters that were probably about $5 each. I think their strength was in choosing the right cheap speakers and voicing the crossovers. DCM's downfall was the reliance on one retailer, Circuit City, for the huge majority of their sales. Soon after Circuit City took on Infinity, DCM got dumped, then brought back as a replacement for Cerwin Vega - the Timeframes were replaced by some big, cheap, black high efficiency 15" party speakers. There's a lesson in there somewhere...

hjames
05-19-2012, 02:37 PM
I have owned several pairs of DCM's - TF400's, CX-17's, CX-27's, all excellent sounding. I sold them at Circuit City and every Christmas DCM had an accomodation that let you purchase a pair for something like 75% off retail. They were really voiced well and had a nice big image, though I was never taken by the Timewindows, which had rear firing midrange drivers as well and threw off a big, unfocused sound. We sold them really well when we could sit people down to actually listen to music. If not, they went home with Bose:) Actually, at the time our mix was the JBL L series, which didn't really sell, except for L1's, and the Harman Kardon/PSB speakers (Ten through Sixty), in which the Thirties really stood out as well.

Anyway, enjoy the DCM's, just don't open them up - the drivers are really garbage, especially to a JBL nut - cheap, pressed frame woofers and 19mm polyamide tweeters that were probably about $5 each. I think their strength was in choosing the right cheap speakers and voicing the crossovers. DCM's downfall was the reliance on one retailer, Circuit City, for the huge majority of their sales. Soon after Circuit City took on Infinity, DCM got dumped, then brought back as a replacement for Cerwin Vega - the Timeframes were replaced by some big, cheap, black high efficiency 15" party speakers. There's a lesson in there somewhere...

Yep - darned shame about the original DCM company ... but the speakers do sound nice.
I've seen behind the curtain - lots of rebuild pix here and there out there ...
The big deal is the whole thing is covered by a sock - but ... so were the magneplanars, and I didn't fuss inside them either.

Plus, this time, I'm not buying speakers for "investments" - I'm just in it for the quality of sound.
I keep finding these DCMs for between $100 and $200 a pair - so far I've gotten
TF400, TF500, TF600 & TF700, with a pair of TimePiece satellites on the way.
I'll admit I did pay a bit more for the top of the line pair of TF1000s I bought ... but are TOL!
Most of them are cheap enough to buy a few extra pairs to keep as spares - and they are skinny so they're easy to store.

Now, if I could only sell that damn Dahlquists DQ10 system (with crossover & passive sub)!!

moparfan
05-20-2012, 09:40 AM
"Typically under 50lbs."

A lot easier to deal with than using furniture moving straps or dollys with JBL Monitors.

hjames
05-20-2012, 09:51 AM
"Typically under 50lbs."

A lot easier to deal with than using furniture moving straps or dollys with JBL Monitors.

yep - even the darned L200s with the walnut Smith horns are HELL
to move up and down the stairs - and they are on wheeled plinths!

BMWCCA
05-20-2012, 04:37 PM
yep - even the darned L200s with the walnut Smith horns are HELL
to move up and down the stairs - and they are on wheeled plinths!

I understand!

I still vividly recall moving the 4345s down two floors, on a winding formal stairway, using a dolly with a flat tire at New Zenith's house three years ago. And then he had to pull my van out of his snow-covered front yard with a tractor. We're all dedicated to the big-box JBLs when we could easily just nail some Bose to the walls and be done.
:banghead:

moparfan
05-20-2012, 05:05 PM
When I bought a pair of 4430s from guy in DC, he had a story where he drove through a blizzard to get his Klipsch Cornwalls.

I understand!

I still vividly recall moving the 4345s down two floors, on a winding formal stairway, using a dolly with a flat tire at New Zenith's house three years ago. And then he had to pull my van out of his snow-covered front yard with a tractor. We're all dedicated to the big-box JBLs when we could easily just nail some Bose to the walls and be done.

steveaaa
03-08-2013, 09:11 AM
Hi

What a great job on your jbl's.

I am restoring a near mint pair of 4340 speakers. I have all the drivers but I need a pair of full crossovers with the Lpads. Does any one know where i can get this or have a pair built for me.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

you can email me at [email protected]

thanks

hjames
03-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Hi

What a great job on your jbl's.

I am restoring a near mint pair of 4340 speakers. I have all the drivers but I need a pair of full crossovers with the Lpads. Does any one know where i can get this or have a pair built for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

you can email me at [email protected]

thanks

SteveaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! - you've got to quit posting the same thing in multiple threads.
Pick your own thread and post there, not on other old threads ...
this is maybe the 5th time you've posted that request.

This is NOT a very busy forum, but folks will get to you if/when they can -
reposting the same thing over and over is annoying and kinda rude.

Last I heard about someone building crossovers for big 4 ways they were only for biamp use and I believe they well exceeded $600/pr
and they were a very long term project that went a year or more from initial post to final shipping. I can't give his name -
if he is interested, no doubt he'll chime in on his own, but I'm pretty sure he's out of that business at the moment.

SEAWOLF97
03-08-2013, 09:43 AM
I understand!

I drove up to Tsawwassen , British Columbia to buy my 250Ti's from member JBLCanuk. Marty wheeled them down a steep driveway , put a big bear hug on them (one at a time) and lifted them into my truck ..unscathed, (135 pounds). But down here, we always use 2 people to move them. ;)

BMWCCA
03-08-2013, 07:19 PM
I drove up to Tsawwassen , British Columbia to buy my 250Ti's from member JBLCanuk. Marty wheeled them down a steep driveway , put a big bear hug on them (one at a time) and lifted them into my truck ..unscathed, (135 pounds). But down here, we always use 2 people to move them. ;)

That's easy with those little speakers. The 4345s according to JBL weigh 229 pounds each.

Just kidding! Having hugged my share of L7s at 75-pounds each, hugging those slippery triangular 250s is impressive. My wife weighs less than that but she's also shaped better for hugging——and lifting! ;)