PDA

View Full Version : AMERICAN IDOL SPECIAL

CONVERGENCE
04-26-2007, 10:21 AM
If any one watched the show last night . There was a duo with Celine and Elvis performing on stage. It was a superb montage. Elvis appeared real from a show taped in 1968. But I won`t go into details not to spoil the perception felt by the audience.

Here is a testimony.

Saundra Apr 26th, 2007
Wow! What a fabulous performance! I was truly touched by the singing and the song 'If I Can Dream' performed by Celine Dion and Elvis. It inspired me and honestly made me dream of a better day for us all. It was a great idea and I'm so glad it was part of such an important program. Seeing Elvis on stage with Celine Dion was magical for me. I enjoyed it more than words can say. Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! Thank you to those responsible for putting it all together. I'll remember it always.

.................................................. ...............

Titanium Dome
04-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Yes it was well done, and Celine played her part very well, looking at and reacting to Elvis.

And I listened to it in 5.1 surround on my JBL Performance Series. I'm certain it sounded better than those who heard it in stereo or on their non-JBL speakers.

My GF wants me to download it for her from iTunes.

boputnam
04-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Have you an idea how it was done? They even matched Elvis' mic for Celine to hold. But, there were times Elvis' image lacked coherance (head moving opposite torso, and it weren't no twist!). Overall, the image was very degraded - pixeled, but the idea very cool.
My wifey thought it was real. I love my wifey... :applaud:

FWIW, the performance by Jeff Beck accompanying Kelly Clarkson was a show-stopper. Beck was amazing. As a soundguy, it was interesting to see Beck on close-up waffling between pickup selections - he was earnest on maintaining just the right tone character - add texture and support, but not to distraction. And desperate to get those bell tones at the closer - missed the first, but got it on second try. A real pro...

That said, the soundguy missed a MONSTER cue when the fiddle started a lead on close-up camera a few songs before that. Hell, it's only national TV! OOOPS! :o:

kingjames
04-26-2007, 02:36 PM
The image had to be projected by one of those star wars thingy's. I didn't get to watch it but I did bring it up on Utube, fantastic which ever way they did it. I am both an Elvis and Celine fan and they both sound excellent on my JBL'S as well.Technology you gotta love it!

fotodan
04-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Looked like a halo-gram of elvis. Hank Jr. did same this years back with Hank Sr. (tear in my beer). Also noticed towards end of song, from behind shot elvis stopped singing and looked at her while see sang, then noticed on distance shots of the both of them you could see contestants behind them, and one shot of celine and his shoulder contestants could be seen, but on all close up shot of elvis no contestants....

CONVERGENCE
04-26-2007, 03:37 PM
The technique is called ROTOSCOPY(rotoscopie). Remember Forest Gump talking with President Nixon. As for American Idol the far away shots were done with a double. The close ups with rotoscopie using the 1968 Vegas show of Elvis.It's a tedious procedure of cutting out the signer frame by frame .At 30 frames per second video, It took them weeks to do the montage at a cost of approx.150,000$ and the approval of Elvis daughter.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotoscopie&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DROTOSCOPIE%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

DefaultName
05-03-2007, 08:26 PM
That touched my heart as well.

McIntosh MA6900 Integrated Amplifier (http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/mcintosh-laboratory-inc-1500/ma6900-integrated-amplifier-5970.html) - Download the MA6900 Integrated Amplifier Catalog by McIntosh Laboratory, Inc.