boputnam
01-24-2004, 11:50 AM
:shock:

boputnam
01-24-2004, 11:51 AM
:spin:

boputnam
01-24-2004, 11:52 AM
Sorry the exit of the compression driver is not focussed! :( Tough shot to get.

NB: there is no distortion of the pic - that is the true shape of the horn. :yes:

boputnam
01-24-2004, 11:54 AM
Sorry the medallion glared - it's polished chrome finish (like the 435Be)...

The talented hands of Mr. Widget were left-in for scale...

herve M
01-26-2004, 01:50 PM
043 Be ???? Or 045 Be ?

Don McRitchie
01-27-2004, 08:19 AM
045Be

The 043 was a typo. I have subsequently corrected this in the thread title.

Steve Gonzales
12-15-2004, 03:17 AM
What type of diaphragm does it use, I realize it's Be., but is it simular to an 075,6,7 -2404 ? anular, I think ? I talked to a guy at Westlake and man was he drunk with TAD stuff ! Not that it isin't any good. I asked them about the rumor that they "bought up" all the 076's and the guy replied , "NO", we bought a "production run of 2403's". My biased curiousity begged the question: "Great tweeters huh ?" He said he'd rather have TAD. I asked him what the equivalent TAD UHF driver would be and ( ha-ha ) he said he didn't know but he'd rather have TAD. That gets me to my question. Does JBL sell these new Be. drivers to the public ?, to anyone like , say, Weaklake ;) ,uh ,Westlake? Sorry, I just had to rib them a little.... Great copies of JBL designs, Pioneer, right? Oh, yeah, they made the "super-tuner" car stereos....

Don McRitchie
12-15-2004, 06:40 AM
The driver is described here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/projectmay/technology/045be.htm

The picture below shows a disassembled example with its 1" diaphragm.

Steve Gonzales
12-15-2004, 12:22 PM
thanks for the link, I had looked at that before, a little CRS is setting in at the ripe ol' age of 42 :confused: What a magnificant piece of engineering !

Maron Horonzakz
12-21-2004, 07:54 AM
WHAT???? No diamind surround????:banghead: :biting: :bomb:

Don McRitchie
12-21-2004, 08:06 AM
Nope. Doug Button has removed the diamond surrounds on all of the recent JBL compression drivers. The diamond surrounds were a workaround to gain better HF extension by taking advantage of the resonance of the surround. Doug prefers to rely on the natural extension of the diaphram material, and where necessary, rely on equalization to extend the response. This eliminates the transient smearing that occurs with parasitic resonance. His use of smaller and lighter 3" diameter diaphragms inherently results in greater extension while his unique suspension design means that they can accept considerable EQ with no loss in power handling compared to previous drivers.

Maron Horonzakz
12-21-2004, 09:21 AM
Ahhhhhh !!! Back to sanity And good engineering at JBL. I was worried they would go to diamond foam surrounds to satisfy marketing dept.:D

hapy._.face
03-17-2006, 02:48 PM
It's been a few good years now, and like the flying cars we were all promised- I don't see the 045Be available to the public unless you pony for the K2. I am finding the ever cool looking UT-045Be which (according to my crude Japanese web page translation) is a stand alone version with feet and a network card (right?). At 500,000- 525,000 yen...she's about $4K a pair.

Harmon in Woodbury claims not to have any, and dealers ask at least several times '...you want a WHAT!?' and '...what the hell is that?'

So....where does one obtain the seemingly unobtainable 045Be? I'm totally serious.

norealtalent
03-17-2006, 03:58 PM
I don't know about the tweeters but I've got a buddy who claims to have managed coralling me a brand new pair of 435Be's. I'll introduce him next time you come up. Maybe he can help you out...:D

speakerdave
03-17-2006, 04:09 PM
I don't know about the tweeters but I've got a buddy who claims to have managed coralling me a brand new pair of 435Be's. I'll introduce him next time you come up. Maybe he can help you out...:D
Share, Mr. Talent, share; there's a good fellow!

norealtalent
03-17-2006, 04:52 PM
I have consistently told him,"I'll believe it when I see them." He says UPS Wednesday. In the mean time, anyone can purchase them through here:
http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/products/jbl_cons/435be.htm (http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/products/jbl_cons/435be.htm) :bouncy:

hapy._.face
03-17-2006, 05:48 PM
NRT-

Oh yeah? Well, a TAD is better any day of the week.
You should have saved yourself some dough and bought a pair of 4001 CDs and bolted them straight into a 2397/8 without using a silly (additional) 1.5-2" adapter.

And at the extreme UHF extensions- the 045Be is only good for dolphin trainers. I was just curious...

I wouldn't believe the guy about the whole UPS thing. Did he give you a tracking number?

4313B
03-17-2006, 06:18 PM
Oh yeah? Well, a TAD is better any day of the week.Actually that isn't true.

And JBL is fully aware of TAD products. ;)

hapy._.face
03-17-2006, 06:52 PM
Hi Giskard,
I wish we knew each other better- it was a joke.
I fully agree with you. :)
NRT knows I'm kidding- we've had long discussions about it.
I'd take the 435Be over a TAD 4001 for the lower extension and overall rarity/cool factor. Though I've yet to hear the TAD 4001 so perhaps it's foolish to say.
So while we are on the subject (sort of)- were you impressed with the 435Be and/or the 045Be? No need for a review- I'd just like to know what your overall opinion is. Thank you!

Steve Gonzales
03-17-2006, 09:36 PM
Impossible! ;)

hapy._.face
03-18-2006, 07:45 AM
It's no secret- I've been drooling over the K29800 for some time now...

Let me remind everyone-
An individual component may be outdone by another. We get so caught up in this- we must forget (or something). Kinda stupid, actually.
The combination of certain components can be greater than the sum of it's individual parts. Audio 101 part 1.
Sure, the 045be, 435Be, and even the 1500AL can all be mopped up with other individual components.
But, how many of you have actually heard the K2-9800?

norealtalent
03-18-2006, 09:09 AM
Mopped up? I don't think so. You might do well to watch your words before somebody flips that horn upsidedown and your avatar becomes a "sadface." :thmbsup: :moon: :jawdrop: :yes: :screwy: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

hapy._.face
03-18-2006, 09:30 AM
Oh, there's a better midrange out there. It can be mopped. BUT- find another pair. They are extremely rare. AND That makes them not only great performers- but cool as hell! That's the big diff.

No matter how much of a baddass one thinks they are- there's always a bigger and badder "ass" out there...;)

4313B
03-18-2006, 09:47 AM
even the 1500AL can all be mopped up with other individual componentsNow that I'd have to see! :rotfl:

I believe I get your point though.

hapy._.face
03-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Now that I'd have to see! :rotfl:

You mean hear, right? :D
You do see what woofers are in my avatar, don't you? ;)
I think I "see" what the 1500AL is all about..

I know you get my point, but lemme drive it home for everyone else that may not get my point.

papers aside-
It all depends on what you value in a woofer. No question- the 1500AL is super fast, but even a 2235H can comfortably go lower with a lot less strain than the 1500AL. Diff strokes- diff folks. However, put that same 2235H in a three way config with the 435 and tell me how it sounds..like crap, I'm sure. It can't go as high. No woofer does it ALL. You have to trade something off for specialized performance in one area. And for those of you that consider a woofer/tweeter,mid, etc that can do it all- it probably has more to do with the other drivers and how well it all comes together that makes you THINK it's doing it all.

Same goes for the 045Be, and 435Be. Right? It's all relative to the scenario. Isolating a single driver and analyzing it's pros and cons as an individual proves little (with exception to the R&D people). You have to ask yourself- what was it designed to do? and what was it designed to perform with ?

:dont-know

4313B
03-19-2006, 11:31 AM
We can never have enough posts with respect to design intent and application? I know I've posted dozens. Invariably it is pointless to do so. People will do whatever they want regardless. :p

Steve Gonzales
03-19-2006, 01:41 PM
It's no secret- I've been drooling over the K29800 for some time now...

Let me remind everyone-
An individual component may be outdone by another. We get so caught up in this- we must forget (or something). Kinda stupid, actually.
The combination of certain components can be greater than the sum of it's individual parts. Audio 101 part 1.
Sure, the 045be, 435Be, and even the 1500AL can all be mopped up with other individual components.
But, how many of you have actually heard the K2-9800? In my attempts to make a point about performance, I often use the Corvette. Don't laugh yet. When you see a 1953 or a 2006, you will immediately recognize it as a Corvette, right?. Yet, in reality, there is nothing in common except their lineage. Both have a cool "X" factor that sets them apart from the rest. Would a new ZO6 engine be too cool in a 53', you bet your bottom dollar it would be!. The Be./AL combo in the K2 is the tangible link to the past and the culmination of what has been learned, the evolution, if you will, the best of the best. There are alot of members here that would love to plop $30k down and have some K2's, including me. That is the best case scenario, but most of us can't spare the dough. So the second best option (for some) is to try and acquire the best parts we can and build the next best thing, within our means. I know that some people don't understand that. But whatever the case is, one thing is constant, they have to be JBL drivers. So, I've got a pair of 435Be.'s and I've got some LE85's, hmmmm, which ones to use? Exactly!. So what if brand x's has a small edge in performance in a certain parameter?. It's not JBL. A Ford 427 SOHC motor can mop a ZO6 motor in absolute hp, do I want it in my Vette, hell no!. When someone says brand x driver will mop up a XXX driver, then you say, listen to a K2, that's where the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. For some of us, this is a journey and a learning process. If with all our efforts to piece together our dream speaker, we find that it comes full circle back to an absolutely stock JBL model, then so be it. Til' then, I'll seek out the best of the best parts that I can obtain within my means and will enjoy the journey. The K2 is a Statement speaker. JBL doesn't need me to confirm that.

norealtalent
03-19-2006, 02:58 PM
I'd LOVE a 427 SOHC in my vette, then I wouldn't have to push all the time! Oh, I thought you meant chevette...:D

norealtalent
03-27-2006, 08:26 AM
NRT-

I wouldn't believe the guy about the whole UPS thing. Did he give you a tracking number?

Dude delivered them to me personally!!! Who needs a tracking #?:D

hapy._.face
03-27-2006, 08:59 AM
Now that's a couple of happy faces! :p

Steve Gonzales
03-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Never say never!. What's that big tater' masher sittin' on top o' the Lakes'?;)

norealtalent
03-27-2006, 08:21 PM
Never say never!. What's that big tater' masher sittin' on top o' the Lakes'?;)

Rodent control :D Can't wait to get my Smith's back up there.:thmbsup:

Steve Gonzales
03-27-2006, 11:51 PM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=14318&stc=1&d=1143473198

TWO COOL CATS :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

johnaec
03-28-2006, 09:17 AM
So who are they?

John

norealtalent
03-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Happyface (appropriately named) on the right and (mean, miserable and grumpy) I'm on the left. I didn't want to take pictures, I wanted to play with my new toys!!!:bouncy:

grumpy
03-29-2006, 10:33 AM
Mean and miserable, perhaps... but not grumpy :scold:

:D

norealtalent
03-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Mean and miserable, perhaps... but not grumpy :scold:

:D

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Momentary lapse... :blink:

coherent_guy
03-28-2007, 09:50 AM
I have consistently told him,"I'll believe it when I see them." He says UPS Wednesday. In the mean time, anyone can purchase them through here:
http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/products/jbl_cons/435be.htm (http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/products/jbl_cons/435be.htm) :bouncy:

Thanks, but the URL for this must have been changed, the link is not working. For those who don't already have this, a link to JBL Home Audio in Japan:

http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/product/jblhome/index.html

Notice in the column on the left the links for the 435Be and the UT-045Be, among a few others of possible interest... The 435 and 045 included here:

http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/product/jblhome/435be.html

http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/product/jblhome/ut045be.html

There are many things of interest on the main page, below is one of lesser significance but perhaps a little controversial, JBL speaker cable:

http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/product/jblhome/jsc1000_jsc500.html

I couldn't find these on the JBL Pro USA website. For those missing the blue baffle JBL Studio Monitors, check this out:

http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/product/jblhome/4348.html

Finally, the Harman International Japan web page has a few surprises of it's own:

http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/

Overall, I say... Wow! ... sigh

edgewound
03-28-2007, 03:11 PM
I find it interesting that some of those monitors are not available in the US.

4428 is $2012.00 usd each

4348 is a bit over $6000.00 ea.

That LS Series was at CES but not playing. GT doesn't really know why they aren't available here. Not his dept.

Thom
03-28-2007, 08:14 PM
We can never have enough posts with respect to design intent and application? I know I've posted dozens. Invariably it is pointless to do so. People will do whatever they want regardless. :p

I believe the designer has every right to dictate how the drivers are used if he owns them. And if I own one I have the same right. As do you for the ones that belong to you.

What is your opinion of off label drug use? Not quite the same thing but not entirely different either. I'm not saying it's not a good thing to know what a driver was designed for but sometimes you get serendipity. It's my understanding that the D130 was designed as a home HiFi speaker. I believe that you would say that isn't even it's best use.

I'm just suggesting that breaking a rule or two isn't always bad. It's even better if you have a clue what you are about when you do it. I'm not trying to say that anyone can grab a handful of high quality drivers build a box, do whatever for frequency division/ distribution and have a sweet sounding system. It's not so but that doesn't make it illegal to try something that the designer never thought of or didn't have in mind.

coherent_guy
03-28-2007, 09:28 PM
I find it interesting that some of those monitors are not available in the US.

4428 is $2012.00 usd each

4348 is a bit over $6000.00 ea.

Yep, from what I've read I thought the classic blue-baffled monitors were a thing of the past. Great to see them of course. A great line up of products, including the speaker stands, I regret that the US market doesn't warrant all of them being sold here, no judgement on JBL.

How about the Harman International page, where you can find Halcro, SME, AKG, and two high-end cable companies in the list with JBL, Mark Levinson, and Revel. Does Harman own all of these, or is just the importer for Japan?

Zilch
03-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Use "Advanced Search" to find the post by Don McRitchie detailing the Harman Japan operation....

coherent_guy
03-29-2007, 11:52 AM
Search I did, the result is straightforward and logical, makes sense. For those still learning like myself, a must read here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10250&page=2&highlight=harman+japan

I really wonder how some of that fine looking equipment on the JBL Japan website is made... more like crafted, in China? Nice work, scary good, damn nice!

Thanks for the suggestion. :)