PDA

View Full Version : Convert a 2234 to a 2235

hjames
04-20-2007, 01:27 PM
I asked this as a tangent in another thread but I guess I didn't communicate very well.

I bought a pair of 2234 drivers by mistake ,
but I would rather have 2235 drivers.
How do I get there?
Do I try to sell them and just buy two 2235s?
Can they be reconed, or modified in some way?

From the other thread, I guess the 2234s weren't used in many speakers,
so I'm guessing there isn't a lot of need for them ...

Thanks for any help you can offer.

jackgiff
04-20-2007, 01:34 PM
I asked this as a tangent in another thread and didn't seem to get anywhere.

Lets assume I bought a pair of 2234 drivers by mistake ,
How do I get there?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Heather,

It is my impression that the 2234 is a 2235 without the mass ring. I don't know if the mass ring can be bought separately, but someone on this forum probably has a supply of them. I think it glues behind the dust cover, but since I am not a reconer, don't take my word as gospel.

Jack Gifford

boputnam
04-20-2007, 01:35 PM
There is a bunch on this, from time immortal!

Do some SEARCH strings - Giskard and Widget, IIRC, and others discussed this at some length. If I find it, I'll add the Link, here...

Here's the real McCoy, from the What was the couse with 2234H thread - that is Thread #19 people!! Wayback machine... See Giskard's post, #2.

fotodan
04-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Hey Heather, it appears from my other thread, that I have a 2235 by mistake, and needing a 2234. I know it wouldn't slove all you problems, but I would trade with you if you wanted... Let me know.
Thanks,
Dan

Zilch
04-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Factory authorized reconer can remove the dust caps, install the mass rings, and make 2235s outta them.

In a system like yours with sub(s), I think I'd see how I could integrate the 2234s as woofers in my mains before I did that, tho.

Original 2234s are kinda rare, and even if they didn't work for that, I'd keep them as such for use in other projects like TOTL two-ways, probably, noting that Giskard just mentioned them as potential alternatives to other drivers which may not be obtainable.... :thmbsup:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=141491#post141491

grumpy
04-20-2007, 01:54 PM
To answer specifically (and redundantly):

I asked this as a tangent in another thread but I guess I didn't communicate very well.

I bought a pair of 2234 drivers by mistake ,
How do I get there?

you certainly could.

both, but simply adding a mass ring would be a lot cheaper.
I wanted 2234's, edgewound reconed my cores and left out the rings,
but they were bare cores. 2234, 2235 use the same exact recone kit.

2234's weren't used in -any- other speaker, that I can find. It still is a fine
driver when used properly.

-grumpy

p.s. thanks for starting up a new thread, Heather. :)

hjames
04-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Thanks Bo - I really did search for "Convert 2234 to 2235" only found 4 threads, and this new thread was one of them.

I must not be searching this site right ... sigh!

Your thread looks like paydirt - seems there's no real difference between them except for the mass ring and what it does.

There is a bunch on this, from time immortal!

Do some SEARCH strings - Giskard and Widget, IIRC, and others discussed this at some length. If I find it, I'll add the Link, here...

Here's the real McCoy, from the What was the couse with 2234H thread - that is Thread #19 people!! Wayback machine... See Giskard's post, #2.

boputnam
04-20-2007, 03:17 PM
I must not be searching this site right ... sigh!Ha! It's not easy, but it ain't too hard, either. Leave your strings open, baby!! Mine was, with 100% success first time: "2234 2235 ring" by Giskard.

It's real helpful to know the past :p but, in general, if you use the Advanced Search option, keep the string open (not too restrictive) and always include "Giskard" as the poster, you will be imminently more successful. :)

Robh3606
04-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Hello Heather

How do you want to use them??

Rob:)